• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did my XBox just die? :(

GhaleonEB

So I just got done playing Fable for a few hours, took a long break, and now it won't play any games. I get a message asking me to make sure it's an XBox game, yadda yadda, and to see if the (brand new) disc is dirty.

Is this the fabled (ha) "Dirty Disc Error" I've read so much about?

What do I do now?

GhaleonEB

Wario64 said:
Insert another game to see if it still works?

I did, and got the same message. I also ejected the disc several times, turned the console off, and prayed to the gaming gods that my system didn't just croak right after I bought my first new game in five months. (I've been playing other games on it right up until when Fable arrived yesterday.)

Ryck said:
Do you have an air compressor?

Nope - why?

Gattsu25

Banned
I think my XBox might be next...been getting frequent DDEs and checked the back of my discs...360° scracthes are barely visible on all the games I play often (ie. only Gunvalkyrie is unharmed) >_<

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I have a 1st gen XBOX w/ a first gen mod chip, and have dogged it. Never ever game me a problem.

The XBOX is just a bunch of easy to find components. Drive dies, get another.

If the hole in the tray looks like an upside down gravestone, you're in trouble. That's a Thompson.

I hope my Xbox doesn't die, I just bought it in June. At least I have a Phillips. (not horrible, better than Thompson)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i've had a thompson since launch, and i very rarely have any trouble at all...

DaCocoBrova

Thomson > Samsung IMO since it is nowhere near as picky when it comes to media. Samsungs don't read DVD+R discs, which is unacceptable.

Philips' I have not had any issues w/.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I've been meaning to check it, but I think it's a Phillips. I bought the XBox last week and it's version 1.6 (manafacture date 7/25/04). It doesn't have holes on the drive so it isn't a Samsung, so I guess that rules it out to Phillips. I'll check later tonight

Philips
phillips-pt.jpg

Philips

Thomson
thomsom-pt.jpg

Thomson

Samsung
samsung-pt.jpg

Samsung

xsarien

daedsiluap
I've got a Samsung drive. As long as it works, I don't care which one it is; I don't really plan on modding the thing.

GhaleonEB

The Faceless Master said:
Philips
phillips-pt.jpg

Philips

Thomson
thomsom-pt.jpg

Thomson

Samsung
samsung-pt.jpg

Samsung

Thanks for that hand pictorial guide - I've seen the debates about drive quality and always wondered which one I had. It's a Phillips.

Joe

i have a thomson from 2001 and the damn thing is so loud its not even funny. i have to turn my tv up just so i dont hear it.

the poor baby is dieing, but i will whore her out til the end!

DaCocoBrova

CD-R support >>>> DVD-R support. Therefore Samsung wins.

WTF? What good is a CDR? Can't hold sh!t. The only advantage I can see is easily ripping burned music discs, but other than that...

DVD burners are cheap as fuck now you know...

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Well, being that I don't mod my systems, getting music into my Xbox is top priority. Therefore the CD-R's are a godsend to me as I can just put together random discs and copy it to the box for like 10 cents.

GhaleonEB said:
So I just got done playing Fable for a few hours, took a long break, and now it won't play any games. I get a message asking me to make sure it's an XBox game, yadda yadda, and to see if the (brand new) disc is dirty.

Is this the fabled (ha) "Dirty Disc Error" I've read so much about?

What do I do now?

greenownedpurple.gif

you should replace that purple banana with your face.

cvxfreak

My launch Xbox (at least I think it's a launch Xbox - it was bought exactly one week after I bought my first GameCube, which was on Nov. 18, 2001) is still working fine and dandy. Silent Hill 4 worked like a charm.

Top Bottom