• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Handheld PC Triple-A Gaming: Lenovo Legion Go vs OneXPlayer 2 Pro vs AyaNeo Kun vs Asus ROG Ally

Draugoth

Gold Member

With the cross-gen era now mostly behind us, we're starting to see games like Alan Wake 2 and Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora push boundaries on current-gen machines... so how do the most advanced PC handhelds hold up? Are they capable of delivering a decent experience on this new breed of demanding game? Rich examines the Lenovo Legion Go, OneXPlayer 2 and AyaNeo Kun and sees how they fare against each other - and the most cutting-edge games.

00:00 Introduction
00:52 Lenovo Legion Go vs OneXPlayer 2 Pro vs AyaNeo Kun
04:11 Benchmarks: The 15W Shoot-Out
06:39 Benchmarks: The 25W Sweet Spot
10:07 Benchmarks: Power Scaling To 54W With AyaNeo Kun
11:34 Battery Life Face-Off
13:47 Gameplay: Introduction
14:41 Gameplay: Alan Wake 2
17:38 Gameplay: Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora
19:45 Gameplay: Horizon Forbidden West - Burning Shores
21:51 Handheld Face-Off: Thoughts So Far
25:11 And Now, The Conclusion

Last edited:

Karak

I have most of these, and honestly thats a pretty accurate representation of all of them and the thoughts at the end.
Legion is by far my favorite(NOW) despite some issues that remain, well issues remain on every single one.
But one day we will, as many are saying, get the Unicorn-One excellent in most places handheld

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have most of these, and honestly thats a pretty accurate representation of all of them and the thoughts at the end.
Legion is by far my favorite(NOW) despite some issues that remain, well issues remain on every single one.
But one day we will, as many are saying, get the Unicorn-One excellent in most places handheld

How long will this take though?

Ozriel

M$FT

If Asus had put an OLED display in the upcoming Ally X, it would certainly fit the bill for the ‘unicorn’ handheld.

Looking forward to the next wave of Strix point and Lunar Lake handhelds later this year.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Is it just me or do most of those videos completely ignore the elephant in the room that is the basically non-existent support by Asus?
As well as their incessant throwing out of new variants, making it all but guaranteed that whatever version you got will get the short end of the support stick sooner rather than later.
But that seems to be a thing not just for Asus, but almost all of the manufacturers throwing their hat in the ring.

Just seems to me that getting an Ally basically means you need to be okay with fixing it yourself (both in soft- and hardware), cause ASUS sure won't or will charge you a couple hundred bucks extra, because they "found a scratch".

Pure hardware power is one thing (even if it is marred by the resource hog that is Windows), but especially for a handheld, I find the long-term support side actually more important.
Which is why I'm just patiently waiting for whatever the Deck 2 will be... very, very patiently.... come on, Valve!

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Is it just me or do most of those videos completely ignore the elephant in the room that is the basically non-existent support by ASUS?
As well as their incessant throwing out of new variants, making it all but guaranteed that whatever version you got will get the short end of the support stick sooner rather than later.

Just seems to me that getting an Ally basically means you need to be okay with fixing it yourself (both in soft- and hardware), cause ASUS sure won't or will charge you a couple hundred bucks extra, because they "found a scratch".

Pure hardware power is one thing, but especially for a handheld, I find the support side actually more important.
Which is why I'm just patiently waiting for whatever the Deck 2 will be... very, very patiently.... come on, Valve!

Bullcrap

I don’t own an Ally anymore (sold off the open box Ally I picked up, couldn’t deal with poor battery life) but even checking out the Ally subreddit sporadically, it’s gotten a ton of support post release, with multiple updates to fix bugs and add features…including FSR3 and AFMF frame gen.

‘Incessant throwing out of new variants’ is quite the misleading take. The Ally was released a year ago. The Ally X is advertised as a revamped version of the same hardware, and will co-exist with the Ally, albeit at a higher price point. And still with the exact same chipset so updates will target both the X and the regular Ally.

There ARE customer support issues with Asus as we’ve seen with the GamerNexus expose, but that’s all to do with hardware issues (mainly around the defective sd card reader) and poor customer care practices. Not software support or feature updates.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
The Ally was released a year ago..... Not software support or feature updates.
Ehhhh...

Actually working in software development (& support, at least have in the past), I know how quickly older variants of hardware fall off to the wayside in favor of their younger cousins. No reason to assume gaming handheld devices are in any way different.
It's quick.
And it starts with small things, like some variant getting a certain feature, but not another variant, usually for BS reasons. Wait a year or two and you'll almost certainly see.

I'm not saying the Ally will become useless, but I'm 100% certain you'll end up in a situation where you will be the one who has to maintain its software & updates with some community-driven programs (I'd hope) much sooner than with the Deck.
If you are okay with that, then it's fine. I'm just wondering how that is rarely addressed in these videos - but judging by your reaction, that knowledge doesn't seem to be as widespread as I thought.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Ehhhh...

Actually working in software development (& support, at least have in the past), I know how quickly older variants of hardware fall off to the wayside in favor of their younger cousins. No reason to assume gaming handheld devices are in any way different.
It's quick.
And it starts with small things, like some variant getting a certain feature, but not another variant, usually for BS reasons. Wait a year or two and you'll almost certainly see.

I'm not saying the Ally will become useless, but I'm 100% certain you'll end up in a situation where you will be the one who has to maintain its software & updates with some community-driven programs (I'd hope) much sooner than with the Deck.
If you are okay with that, then it's fine. I'm just wondering how that is rarely addressed in these videos - but judging by your reaction, that knowledge doesn't seem to be as widespread as I thought.

You don’t need to assume or push misleading information when there’s hard facts available. Here’s the Ally changelog history.

And since owners are able to manually install official AMD adrenaline drivers, updates will continue for quite a while to come.

I believe it’s quite possible to love the Deck without dragging down the other handhelds.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You don’t need to assume or push misleading information when there’s hard facts available. Here’s the Ally changelog history.

He was not talking about now and six months ago, but the future… so fair they are pushing changes so far but that was the poster’s point.

And since owners are able to manually install official AMD adrenaline drivers...
Which was the point, people manually trying to keep components up to date.

Ozriel

M$FT
He was not talking about now and six months ago, but the future… so fair they are pushing changes so far but that was the poster’s point.

I suggest you take some time to re-read what he posted. Here’s the start

Is it just me or do most of those videos completely ignore the elephant in the room that is the basically non-existent support by Asus?

He’s clearly claimed that there’s basically non-existent support for the Ally. Clearly speaking in the present tense.

the ‘future’ bit was a later pivot.

Which was the point, people manually trying to keep components up to date.

Nobody has to do it today, because there’s constant software support from Asus. And the point is that even when official support from Asus ends, the product does not become obsolete.

How does manual update differ from what is often romanticized as ‘community driven updates’ when it comes to his preferred handheld?

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
He’s clearly claimed that there’s basically non-existent support for the Ally. Clearly speaking in the present tense.
That was about the customer support. Obviously, I thought, but hey, nuance is dead, and some people just like to interpret everything someone says in the most negative way possible for some reason.
Could've added the word "customer" there, I guess.
And I definitely stand by the statement Asus' customer support being basically non-existent. I mean, it is THERE, but often even harmful, so... it has gotten so bad that many people (not just me) avoid Asus products due to that reason alone, unrelated to the actual product quality.

the ‘future’ bit was a later pivot.
No such thing as a pivot in what I wrote.
Just your odd tendency to want to feel attacked by sth to defend the Ally? Idk, can't speak to your reasoning, it doesn't make sense to me.

How does manual update differ from what is often romanticized as ‘community driven updates’ when it comes to his preferred handheld?
In duration, which is exactly what I wrote.
I have almost zero trust in Asus (and even less in smaller manufacturers) to not let older models fall off the wayside in a few years, definitely software support-wise, possibly hardware support-wise as well.
Meanwhile, I have no doubt that SteamOS will be continually updated to support any past and future Deck variants. Valve's approach to this just seems to be entirely different - which makes sense, since they actually develop the OS themselves (beyond being Arch-based).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

There should be a general OT for these things. The previews of the new Antec model look interesting, not so much the chip, but the form factor with the integrated keyboard.

Top Bottom