• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hunt: Showdown 1896 - PS5/Xbox Series X|S Tech Review - A CryEngine Revamp For Current-Gen

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Following our interview with developer Crytek about its updated '1896' version of Hunt: Showdown, we now have a chance to go hands-on with the PS5, Series X and S versions. The CryEngine at its core is brought up to version 5.11, where the promise of 60 frames per second (over last-gen's 30fps target), and upgraded visuals, is tantalising - but just how well does it hit the target? Tom is here to investigate.

00:00 Introduction
01:30 PS5 vs Series X Graphics Comparison
04:32 Series S Visual Cutbacks
05:41 Xbox Series X Frame-Rate Test
08:16 PS5 Frame-Rate Test
10:04 Xbox Series S Frame-Rate Test
11:37 Verdict

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Current gen only
- Based on CryEngine 5.11
- No DRS and uses fixed resolution on the consoles with FSR2 upscaling
- All console versions use SVOGI - Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination
- PS5 has a much darker gamma curve than the Xbox consoles at the time of launch

Resolution:
- Series X: 1440p
- PS5: 1260p
- Series S: 864p
- Visual features like shadow quality, reflections etc are a match between the consoles
- However Volumetric effects are currently missing on PS5, only present on Xbox consoles
- Series S has some reduced settings like lower draw distance, POM, texture resolution and quality of volumetric effects compared to SX

Performance:
- All consoles target a single 60fps mode
- Series X: Generally 60fps in most cases but larger fields and some heavy effects can cause it drop to ~50, rarely goes at or below 45
- PS5 has less drops, can still incur same kind of hitches but they are a lot less lasting than SX. In some palces where SX can drop to 55, PS5 stays at 60.
- PS5 consoles are prone to screen tearing up and down the screen while Xbox versions tear only on the top 20% of the screen
- Series S runs a little better than SX and a little worse than PS5. DF thinks they over-compensated a little too much in some settings reduction on this version
- VRR is benefitial in smoothing out performance drops
- DF wishes Crytek continues to tighten up the games performance

Last edited:

Senua

fuck yea love to see the blue team wins again!!!!
-jgg4f.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox with the higher resolution and more performance issues.

Ps5 tearing all over the screen is rank though and lower fps. Pisser should fix this on the pro though so all good of you are getting one.

Darsxx82

All versions could be a little better optimized. It remains to be seen how implementing volumetric lighting effects in the fps would affect PS5.

I think there may be some kind of inconsistency between the Cryengine and the different APIs. FPS Slowdowns in XSX occur especially when changing views or vision modes and that was already a problem in the XBO X BC version.

That said, the game runs 90% of the time at 60fps. The Studio's decisions regarding resolution and effects presumably have a reason.

PanzerCute

I already played 100 hours of 1896 on PS5 and the tearing and frame drops are not as bad as they say.

And they will improve everything as always. I was expecting something more buggy/problematic for a launch tbh.

The game also looks absolutely amazing now.

Good job, Crytek!

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I already played 100 hours of 1896 on PS5 and the tearing and frame drops are not as bad as they say.

And they will improve everything as always. I was expecting something more buggy/problematic for a launch tbh.

The game also looks absolutely amazing now.

Good job, Crytek!

The fact is that they are not really saying such a thing. On the contrary, Tom repeats several times that the game is 60fps on all platforms the vast majority of the time.
It just he stops at moments where those 60fps are not maintained and people get a distorted idea of how the game really works.

It is true that with a little more optimization on each platform the performance would be perfect. But it is also true that the game shows better optimization and performance than 98% of games at 60fps or with 60fps modes.

PanzerCute

The fact is that they are not really saying such a thing. On the contrary, Tom repeats several times that the game is 60fps on all platforms the vast majority of the time.
It just he stops at moments where those 60fps are not maintained and people get a distorted idea of how the game really works.

It is true that with a little more optimization on each platform the performance would be perfect. But it is also true that the game shows better optimization and performance than 98% of games at 60fps or with 60fps modes.
Yeah true, my message was badly written.

I have been playing this game since 1896 (the update, not the year ;)) and I’m actually pleasantly surprised by how good it looks.
The lighting feels so natural, both outdoors and indoors that when I walk in real life in a forest with similar lighting conditions as the game I totally feel like I’m in the game.

I swear when I would see a dude in a cowboy hat pop out behind a tree I would instantly grab for my 2 Caldwell Conversion Pistols!

The surprising thing about the comparison is that this game exists...it seems to me the least attractive game I've ever seen in my life after, obviously, Concord.
It’s actually surprising to me that it doesn’t have millions of players. It’s that good.
The Bloodborne of multiplayer shooters!

But I guess everyone’s playing dating sim turn based RPG’s with manga girls or something…

SomeGit

Tom being blind again. This isn't "right at the top"
Screenshot20240915at.png

What are you even talking about?

Is thre another tear apart from the one on the tree that I'm missing? Because that one lines up with what he said in the video.
He said it happens on the top 20% of the screen, that one is no line 140, since that image is 740px it would still be in the top 20%.

Mr Moose

Is thre another tear apart from the one on the tree that I'm missing? Because that one lines up with what he said in the video.
He said it happens on the top 20% of the screen, that one is no line 140, since that image is 740px it would still be in the top 20%.
It's line 150.

I play allot of hunt on console and pc and there are a few performance issues on all versions at the moment, developers said they are still working on optimisation so I expect it to get better in a few months. All versions are very playable though.

SKYF@ll

It would be nice if the next patch adds DRS and improves the 45-60fps of the XSX. (For owners of TVs that do not support VRR)
If DRS is added to a minimum of 1080p, both the PS5 and XSX seem to be able to lock 60fps. (If the frame drop is only due to GPU power)

Top Bottom