• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Direct Feed MGS3 trailer...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
When I see the ICO, Wanda and The Colossus, Silent Hill games, MGS games (especially this MGS3 trailer) as a programmer I feel like "sigh sob... I'll never be able to create on PlayStation 2 such a beautiful work of art like they do :(".

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Panajev2001a said:
When I see the ICO, Wanda and The Colossus, Silent Hill games, MGS games (especially this MGS3 trailer) as a programmer I feel like "sigh sob... I'll never be able to create on PlayStation 2 such a beautiful work of art like they do :(".

That's because you're not an artist, but a programmer. *ruuuuuuuns*

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kiriku said:
That's because you're not an artist, but a programmer. *ruuuuuuuns*

Hehe, true but even programming wise there is TON of stuff the programmers have to do to ease the job of artists.

The content does not move from Maya onto PlayStation 2 by itself behaving exactly as it behaved in Maya with no programmer intervention ;).

Panajev2001a said:
Hehe, true but even programming wise there is TON of stuff the programmers have to do to ease the job of artists.

The content does not move from Maya onto PlayStation 2 by itself behaving exactly as it behaved in Maya with no programmer intervention ;).

programmer aside... I would say its more to do with creative vision - hence the importance of Kojima. It was his call to move this outdoors.. plot.. etc. The team just bands together to help fufill his vision.

Funny you use Maya as an example; is Konami maya based or 3ds? Either way; just tools

Panajev2001a said:
Yes, I am not taking anything away from Kojima: he has the vision :).

This is why it's a must that he directs every main MG. He's took back his comments earlier about how the next one wouldn't be done by him and said that if fans request it then he'll do it. Well we request it. :p

EekTheKat

What I find great about MGS is compared to today's modern American action movie, you could actually see what's going on in the middle of a fight in MGS... whether it's part of the in game action or cutscene.

I'm so sick of extreme closeups, shakey cam, or strobe lit backgrounds that makes it nearly impossible to tell what's going on in a lot of modern action movies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Scoot said:
Looks incredible.
Hopefully it doesn't get all slow and junky on the PS2.

Hmm? Why would it?

These guys know how to use the hardware very well. MGS2 ran perfectly on PS2, but MGS2 for XBOX and PC as well as The Twin Snakes on GC all had some serious technical issues.

If there is one team you can trust to truly use the PS2 hardware well, it is Team Kojima over at KCEJ.

LukeSmith

dark10x said:
Hmm? Why would it?

These guys know how to use the hardware very well. MGS2 ran perfectly on PS2, but MGS2 for XBOX and PC as well as The Twin Snakes on GC all had some serious technical issues.

If there is one team you can trust to truly use the PS2 hardware well, it is Team Kojima over at KCEJ.

Just because of all of the new stuff going on in the environment. I have faith in Team Kojima. Comically enough the only slowdown in Metal Gear 2 was on Xbox. Just with all of the jungle detail, I wouldn't want the PS2 to jankify the game.

dark10x

Scoot said:
Just because of all of the new stuff going on in the environment. I have faith in Team Kojima. Comically enough the only slowdown in Metal Gear 2 was on Xbox. Just with all of the jungle detail, I wouldn't want the PS2 to jankify the game.

Well, you can see for yourself in the trailer! It seems to run just fine!

There's no way it would be as bad as Twin Snakes on GC, though. :D I can't imagine Kojima letting a game out the door with that many issues.

Bluemercury said:
So who's the woman who keeps owning Snake or Big boss or whatever he is?

Her name is "The Boss".

chara_06.gif

dark10x

bobafett said:
And Polyphony Digital, of course.

Yep! As well as Criterion and Naughty Dog. :)

Heck, after Star Ocean 3, I might even say that TriAce is up there. SO3 is the most impressive looking JRPG I've ever seen! There are still a few bugs left, though, and the cutscenes are poorly animated...sooo...

I really wonder what Volgin has to do with everything. On the official MGS site, he's not listed as a member of the Cobra unit (The Boss, The Sorrow, The Pain, The End and The Fury). The Boss is alligned with him in some way, but it seems like she's going after something bigger (to her) than Volgin wants.

evil ways

So wait, does he get his eye slashed or shot? I couldn't tell that well from the video. Either way it looks cringe worthy and cool, especially how Snake's mouth trembles with fear.

Oh and $10 say Snake gets to tap that fine bikini clad ass, jungle style.

AssMan said:
Did MGS2 mention anything about the originality of the TRUE Sons of Liberty? John Adams and the other guy, and why it was formed to fight off the king's men and his rules? I don't remember MGS2 very well......

I don't remeber...either it was on here or in the game where I heard that.

SolidSnakex said:
That flower field looks like it could be the final fight location. Snake seems to have a completely different camo (the other camos keep the same straps on the back, but change the coloring), and as DSN2K pointed out he has his patch on.

SnakeSuit.jpg

SnakeSuit1.jpg

It seems to be alot more protective than the other camo suits.

Maybe thats the "Oh crap this woman will hand me my ass again so I need a Batman esque protective suit" camo

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I thought the scene with the girl in bikini was tacky and unnecessary. Other than that, the trailer is just fantastic looking.

Marconelly said:
I thought the scene with the girl in bikini was tacky and unnecessary. Other than that, the trailer is just fantastic looking.

Relax. You don't even know why it's in the trailer, it may hint to an underlying story.

evil ways said:
So wait, does he get his eye slashed or shot? I couldn't tell that well from the video. Either way it looks cringe worthy and cool, especially how Snake's mouth trembles with fear.

Oh and $10 say Snake gets to tap that fine bikini clad ass, jungle style.

I'd guess he gets it shot out going by the trailer. She points the knife at his left eye for example, which seems to be more of a taunt that she'd take his other eye out too.

border

I think they are taking crib notes off of Alias.....which had a female terrorist leader referred to as "The Man" =) And she was the hero's mother.

This trailer looks good, and got me more excited than anything else I've seen. The gun-twirling and the bee-man are truly ridiculous, but the rest of the enemies are pretty cool. I'm glad to see that boss-battles are going to be important once more. The Sorrow is my favorite.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
"The gun-twirling and the bee-man are truly ridiculous, but the rest of the enemies are pretty cool."

But I wonder, if they're really serious about the gun-twirling. I mean, it's just too over-the-top to be serious. Maybe it's more like yet another self-distanced Kojima joke?

I remember the first trailers for Twin Snakes, you got to see the scene where Revolver Ocelot throws and spins his guns a lot when you first challenge him. But in later trailers, it seemed to have been shortened a lot.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I think of the excessive gun twirling by Ocelot in this trailer to be a joke of what Silcon Knights did in Twin Snakes :D :p

bheemer

it looks fantastic. from the trailer i really want to play the game.

but the clunky controls and poor aiming of twin snakes for GC really turned me off. so i never tried the rest of the series.

is this any better? for those that played the demo hows the control. is it still a more or less over head view?

That song hasn't been released yet. Since the First Bite disk is out it won't come out till they release the soundtrack. That song at the beginning is awesome though...So is the MGS theme at the end. :)

That's a painful scene, along with the one with him snapping it back, mainly because of the sound.

SnakeSnap.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The controls in Twin Snakes were shit because the buttons were not pressure sensitive. The series is desiged with the Dual Shock controller in mind IMO

border

Defensor said:
I think of the excessive gun twirling by Ocelot in this trailer to be a joke of what Silcon Knights did in Twin Snakes :D :p
Well now technically that would be the fault of the dumbass Matrix-fu guy that they brought in for the cutscenes. I'm assuming that Kojima's team wouldn't really want to insult him with a parody.....though they probably don't care much about insulting Silicon Knights since they got shitcanned by Nintendo and kinda messed up the port.

border said:
Well now technically that would be the fault of the dumbass Matrix-fu guy that they brought in for the cutscenes. I'm assuming that Kojima's team wouldn't really want to insult him with a parody.....though they probably don't care much about insulting Silicon Knights since they got shitcanned by Nintendo and kinda messed up the port.

I think its more to just show who he is. They showed off his similarity to the Ocelot we know in the first trailer when he went off on all those gaurds (like the older Ocelot does in MGS2). This younger one works with 2 guns compared to the older one that only works with 1.

LukeSmith

beerbelly said:
What's the U.S release date on this game? It only says 2004 at Gamespot.

One date I've heard was November 16th, because I remember thinking it was the only game beside KOTOR2 that I'd pay full retail for this year. I don't know if anything has been made official.

bobafett

beerbelly said:
What's the U.S release date on this game? It only says 2004 at Gamespot.

Amazon says November 1st. EB says November 15th. Gamestop says November 17th. Konami says November.

I bet this game will be released before Thanksgiving. In the week of November 15th would be my guess.

jett

D-Member
That was pure, unadultered PWNAGE. By far my most anticipated game...shit, I pretty much bought a PS2 because of last year's E3 trailer. :p

Top Bottom