• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgraced cyclist Floyd Landis admits doping, implicates Lance Armstrong & UCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-confesses-to-doping-implicates-armstrong-and-bruyneel

It's more than a little suspicious that Landis would pull this out now, just as Lance is gearing up for a fresh attack on the Tour de France. The charges of corruption on the part of the UCI are eye-widening too. Supposing that he knew that he could dope with impunity with Johan Bruyneel's blessing, why would he leave the team just as Lance was getting ready for his last season and preparing to hand it off to him? And why would Lance, the most visible figurehead of pro cycling for decades, store EPO at his own home? It just doesn't add up.

Floyd Landis has confessed to doping during his professional cycling career in an e-mail to USA Cycling chief executive officer Steve Johnson, which Cyclingnews has obtained a copy of. The e-mail, which was sent to Johnson on April 30, details Landis’ history with doping, starting from his first experience with testosterone in 2002 through to 2006 when he won the Tour de France, before abnormalities from a test on stage 17 saw him stripped of the title years later.

Landis detailed the looming statute of limitations deadline on the information he’s provided as the motivation behind his revelations. "I want to clear my conscience," Landis told ESPN. "I don't want to be part of the problem any more.

"Now we've come to the point where the statute of limitations on the things I know is going to run out or start to run out next month," Landis said. "If I don't say something now then it's pointless to ever say it."

Landis claims in the e-mail to Johnson to have been introduced to testosterone by Johan Bruyneel while riding for US Postal in June, 2002. He claimed to have had lengthy conversations with seven time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong regarding the evolution of EPO testing that year, before traveling to Armstrong’s house in 2003 to collect his first sample of EPO.

Since turning professional in 1992 Armstrong has never had a positive drug test announced by the UCI or USA Cycling. Both he and Bruyneel have always adamantly denied any involvement with the use of performance enhancing drugs throughout their extensive careers.

Landis allegations must be viewed with scepticism after he previously denied doping. Landis’ sudden doping admission comes after the rider spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to prove his innocence, including the establishment of the Floyd Fairness Fund which encouraged people to donate to help with the estimated $500,000 legal bill. After the rider’s suspension was upheld by the American Arbitration Association, Landis claimed it was proof the “anti-doping system is corrupt, inefficient and unfair”.

“I was instructed to go to Lance’s place by Johan Bruyneel and get some EPO from him,” read the e-mail, which Johnson forwarded to United States Anti-Doping Agency officials on May 1. “The first EPO I ever used was then handed to me in the entry way to his building in full view of his then wife.

“It was Eprex by brand and it came in six pre measured syringes,” it continued. “I used it intravenously for several weeks before the next blood draw and had no problems with the tests during the Vuelta.”

Landis also claims in the e-mail that Armstrong had told him Bruyneel met with the International Cycling Union to ensure details of a positive test remained confidential due to a “financial agreement”.

Current UCI president Pat McQuaid was quick to deny that the international federation had accepted funds to conceal information about a positive test when contacted by Cyclingnews. “It’s completely false and completely untrue and we’ve made contact with a lawyer and will take appropriate action,” said McQuaid.

Neither Johnson nor Landis could be contacted at time of publishing.

Cyclingnews was also unable to contact Armstrong’s representative Mark Higgins. Radioshack press officer Philippe Maertens said Bruyneel would speak to the media on Thursday morning from California, where he is directing a team containing Armstrong at the Amgen Tour of California.

The incredible claims follow a four year period during which Landis vehemently denied allegations of doping during the 2006 Tour de France, when a urine sample showed the rider had an unusually high testosterone to epitestosterone ratio. Landis appealed against the findings from his A and B samples, at which point USA Cycling transferred Landis’ case to the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

Landis’ legal team argued that the French National Laboratory for Doping Detection (Laboratoire de Chatenay-Malabry) had been incompetent in its handling of the rider’s sample at a committee hearing.

On September 21, 2007 the AAA overturned Landis’ appeal against his sanction. The three member arbitration panel, led by president Patrice Brunet along with Christopher Campbell and Richard McLaren, was split 2-1 in the guilty verdict, with Campbell dissenting.

Following the AAA decision Landis exercised his final right of appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). CAS announced in June 2008 that it had upheld the findings and Landis would serve out the original two year ban.

Landis returned to racing after the conclusion of his suspension in early 2009, riding with United States of America domestic team OUCH-Maxxis. The team parted ways at the year’s end and Landis joined the OUCH-Bahati Foundation Cycling Team for 2010.

dsister44

Tarazet said:
Landis also claims in the e-mail that Armstrong had told him Bruyneel met with the International Cycling Union to ensure details of a positive test remained confidential due to a “financial agreement”.

Lets just say it moved me......TO A BIGGER HOUSE!

HeySeuss

I don't believe it. And by I don't believe it, I mean, nobody in their right mind doesn't believe Armstrong wasn't doping. Hope it all comes out and they actually do something about it though, but I doubt anything will come out of it and Armstrong will still be a hero.

SportCenter just said Armstrong will speak on the accusations in about an hour. Denial incoming.

Wrote about this on my blog this morning. The sport is such a mess, and it's hard to believe that any cyclist that has been even remotely competitive in recent years could be doing it without doping. It's just so wide spread.

Tarazet said:
And why would Lance, the most visible figurehead of pro cycling for decades, store EPO at his own home? It just doesn't add up.

Idk maybe he thought he was an invincible god? I would probably be at least that cocky if I were him.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Shick Brithouse said:
And by I don't believe it, I mean, nobody in their right mind doesn't believe Armstrong wasn't doping.
This sentence hurts my brain, even though there's nothing wrong with it. :(

Drey1082

Shick Brithouse said:
I don't believe it. And by I don't believe it, I mean, nobody in their right mind doesn't believe Armstrong wasn't doping. Hope it all comes out and they actually do something about it though, but I doubt anything will come out of it and Armstrong will still be a hero.

SportCenter just said Armstrong will speak on the accusations in about an hour. Denial incoming.

I agree. This article's accusations were not shocking in the least.

HeySeuss

RiskyChris said:
Idk maybe he thought he was an invincible god? I would probably be at least that cocky if I were him.

Yeah it's really not hard to believe at all. Just look at the recent examples of sports figures that believe they are invincible. Tiger, Rothlisburger, and on and on. I'm really looking forward to the details coming out of the Canadian doctor and who that will implicate.

dankir

Honestly, they should let everbody dope as much as they want. So we can a bunch of jacked steroid raging cyclists battling for first place.

After somebody wins, they'll all die from the overuse and nobody will give a shit.

Seriously though, doping will always be around and people will always try to cheat. This fucker just got caught.

Binabik15

dankir said:
Honestly, they should let everbody dope as much as they want. So we can a bunch of jacked steroid raging cyclists battling for first place.

After somebody wins, they'll all die from the overuse and nobody will give a shit.

Seriously though, doping will always be around and people will always try to cheat. This fucker just got caught.

You mean like cycling right now?

:D

:lol Why is this guy trying to bring Lance Armstrong down with him ?

Armstrong never had a positive test in years of pro cycling, in my mind because of that he is innocent until proven guilty.

Atrophis

Anerythristic said:
:lol Why is this guy trying to bring Lance Armstrong down with him ?

Armstrong never had a positive test in years of pro cycling, in my mind because of that he is innocent until proven guilty.

If you understand how testing in cycling works you would know that really doesnt mean shit.

Lets not kid ourselves that Amrstrong is anti-doping. He has shunned whistleblowers in the past because 'they give cycling a bad name'. He has also had a close working relationship with some very dodgy doctors.

Read Bad Blood dude.

Dipswitch

This dude is a scumbag of epic proportions. He juices up to the gills, gets bagged when he's tested and then denies any wrong doing for several years. Then when he finally comes clean, he tries to fuck other people over in a half assed attempt to make it appear that he was just keeping up with the Jones'. Douchebag.

I honestly don't know if Armstrong is guilty of the same thing. What we do know if that the French have been looking to bag him for quite some time and they've never gotten him on a positive test. In that regard, he's innocent until proven guilty.

segarr

Whatever. There's no magic pill or liquid that turns someone into a dominating athlete. If Armstrong used enhancers then surely countless others must have as well; yet only he managed to accomplish such great achievements. I want to see athletes perform at the highest level anyway. If dope is needed, so be it. That goes for all sports.

segarr said:
Whatever. There's no magic pill or liquid that turns someone into a dominating athlete. If Armstrong used enhancers then surely countless others must have as well; yet only he managed to accomplish such great achievements. I want to see athletes perform at the highest level anyway. If dope is needed, so be it. That goes for all sports.
Do you by chance happen to work for the MLB Players Association?

Dipswitch said:
This dude is a scumbag of epic proportions. He juices up to the gills, gets bagged when he's tested and then denies any wrong doing for several years. Then when he finally comes clean, he tries to fuck other people over in a half assed attempt to make it appear that he was just keeping up with the Jones'. Douchebag.

Just because he's a scumbag doesn't mean he isn't telling the truth. People jumped all over Jose Canseco when he released his book talking about specific players that had juiced. They laughed at him and claimed that he didn't know what he was talking about and then it turned out that he actually did know what he was talking about.

Ducarmel

So he finally admits it and now wants to point fingers. Seems like a bitter dude who wants to bring people down with him, I don't see why we should believe him, but if what he says is true well sucks for the people that looked up to Lance.

It should be pointed out that Armstrong is one of the most tested athletes ever as well. I'm not saying that makes him guilty or innocent, just that he is test. OFTEN! And he has yet to test positive. He's using some seriously good masking agents.

Fox318

Dipswitch said:
Y9oGr.jpg

Dipswitch

SolidSnakex said:
Just because he's a scumbag doesn't mean he isn't telling the truth. People jumped all over Jose Canseco when he released his book talking about specific players that had juiced. They laughed at him and claimed that he didn't know what he was talking about and then it turned out that he actually did know what he was talking about.

Wat? He's been lying ever since he got bagged initially! Proclaiming his innocence from the rooftops. Now, all of a sudden, he's a bastion of truth? Please.

MjFrancis

dankir said:

Because the millions of people (yes, millions) who use steroids are dropping like flies, right? Seriously, watch Bigger, Stronger, Faster*, and read a few raw studies on anabolic steroids. There are some serious consequences of abuse, but it's nothing like the after-school specials told us it was.

That being said, if this turns out to be true, Floyd Landis is a jackass. He agreed to participate in an event that puts restrictions on the competition. He didn't abide by said restrictions and preceded to lie about breaking them. If he's really come out with the truth now, that's a start, but it doesn't make up for the circus show he's been subjecting cycling fans to for the past four years.

Like many other sports, I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of professional cyclists weren't using some unsanctioned performance enhancements.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
It should be pointed out that Armstrong is one of the most tested athletes ever as well. I'm not saying that makes him guilty or innocent, just that he is test. OFTEN! And he has yet to test positive. He's using some seriously good masking agents.

Unfortunately they are experts at doping, my buddy (really good friend a few years ago, he recently moved to Europe to try get back into cycling) was on the US Postal team for some years and admitted to me that they all doped (Lance included) as part of a team regimented doping program. Every cycling team does it and its a battle of 'who doesn't get caught'.
It is a sad but true fact but cycling is probably almost worse than most other professional sports when it comes to doping.

Tarazet

Dipswitch said:
Wat? He's been lying ever since he got bagged initially! Proclaiming his innocence from the rooftops. Now, all of a sudden, he's a bastion of truth? Please.

As someone who follows the sport religiously, yeah, this.

Kabouter

krae_man said:
Lies! A recovering Cancer paitent totally beat a bunch of drug users 100% clean, 7 years in a row.
Whether he was 100% clean or not, I don't know, but there are certainly other reasons behind his success in the Tour de France. For one thing, that was the only thing he did during those seven years. Whilst for months all the other cyclists had a busy calender and had to do race after race after race, he was in France preparing for the Tour de France. Add to that the fact that he was really the first to have his team work for him quite like that, very strong organization and a team built 100% just for him. It certainly wasn't just his personal athletic ability (whether partially gotten from doping or not) that got him those seven Tour de France wins.

Dipswitch said:

Canseco also lied about taking steroids throughout his career until he finally admitted it and then threw in some other names. The fact of the matter is that this guy was in the sport. He's going to have knowledge of people who took and distributed the stuff. Now that doesn't mean that he can't or won't lie about who took the stuff but you can't just outright dismiss him.

Dipswitch

SolidSnakex said:
Canseco also lied about taking steroids throughout his career until he finally admitted it and then threw in some other names. The fact of the matter is that this guy was in the sport. He's going to have knowledge of people who took and distributed the stuff. Now that doesn't mean that he can't or won't lie about who took the stuff but you can't just outright dismiss him.

And my point is that this dude would claim his own grandmother was taking steroids if he thought it would help redeem his character. He's a pathological liar. And the difference between him and Armstrong is, he was tested and lit up like a Christmas tree and Armstrong has never tested positive. So unless he has some evidence to support his claim, his allegations should be treated as highly suspect.

Tarazet

Kabouter said:
Whether he was 100% clean or not, I don't know, but there are certainly other reasons behind his success in the Tour de France. For one thing, that was the only thing he did during those seven years. Whilst for months all the other cyclists had a busy calender and had to do race after race after race, he was in France preparing for the Tour de France. Add to that the fact that he was really the first to have his team work for him quite like that, very strong organization and a team built 100% just for him. It certainly wasn't just his personal athletic ability (whether partially gotten from doping or not) that got him those seven Tour de France wins.

On the other hand, there are a lot of dopers who previously rode for Lance Armstrong. Roberto Heras, Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, Manuel Beltran - all are high-profile names that tested positive for drugs after leaving Lance's team. If it was not for that indisputable fact, I would not have even posted this story. Lance may not have tested positive himself, but if he rode on the coattails of his doper teammates, I think that's just as bad.

Wait, is he associating Armstrong with testosterone or EPO abuse? Because, EPO =/= "steroids". While still considered blood doping, there's much more controversy on how exactly to define EPO use.

Animosaro

Neo Member
If people honestly think that elite-level sports are anywhere near clean in general, they're dreaming. If drugs can help, people use them.

Kabouter

Tarazet said:
On the other hand, there are a lot of dopers who previously rode for Lance Armstrong. Roberto Heras, Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, Manuel Beltran - all are high-profile names that tested positive for drugs after leaving Lance's team. If it was not for that indisputable fact, I would not have even posted this story. Lance may not have tested positive himself, but if he rode on the coattails of his doper teammates, I think that's just as bad.
You're absolutely right in that those do make his team suspicious. Add to that his connections with dubious doctors and you get a highly suspicious case. But on the other hand, there's also the whole Alpe d'Huez thing. In one of his later Tour wins, there was a time trial up there with just the mountain. Armstrong's (winning) time up the mountain was slower than Pantani's years earlier up the same mountain. Except Pantani's time was set at the end of a regular stage rather than a time trial. One would think that a doped up Armstrong in that scenario could've beaten Pantani's time...

On the whole though, I do still lean towards him being a doping sinner.

Alx

Fox318 said:
No, you see French just can't bear seeing themselves lose the tour.

/gaf 5 years ago

fixed

Oh come on, that's not true... if it were the case, nobody would be watching the tour, since the last time a French racer won it (or even had a chance to win it) was something like 20 years ago. And some of the non-French winners were appreciated by the crowd (Lemond, Indurain...).

ToxicAdam

Floyd Landis reminds me of Jose Canseco. Completely unlikeable, a little bit shady ... but one of those kinds of people that end up telling the truth once their life falls apart.

Tarazet

Kabouter said:
You're absolutely right in that those do make his team suspicious. Add to that his connections with dubious doctors and you get a highly suspicious case. But on the other hand, there's also the whole Alpe d'Huez thing. In one of his later Tour wins, there was a time trial up there with just the mountain. Armstrong's (winning) time up the mountain was slower than Pantani's years earlier up the same mountain. Except Pantani's time was set at the end of a regular stage rather than a time trial. One would think that a doped up Armstrong in that scenario could've beaten Pantani's time...

On the whole though, I do still lean towards him being a doping sinner.

Pantani was built like a jockey.. 5'7" and 130 lb. Lance is 5'10" and 165 lb. The power to weight ratio Pantani had was incredible. The most obvious edge Lance has, besides the strength of his team, is his technique; he was way ahead of his time when it came to using technology and aerodynamic advances to his advantage. The other big teams scrambled to keep pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom