• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Mumei

Let It Go cover by SoHyang; a version with it synced to the animation here. Fantastic vocals, though you can tell it is not her first language. And she's not as strong on the spoken verses at the beginning; her lower register isn't as strong as Idina's.

Finally got around to seeing Frozen today. I liked it. Good story and a great soundtrack. Very enjoyable. I disagree with anyone that says this movie is as good as Tangled but it I did really like it so I'll let it go. For the first time in forever I felt like I had to make my opinion about a movie known. It thought it was really cool when Rapunzel made a cameo. I had to rewind it when it happened just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Let it go is now constantly playing over in my head. I'm not complaining. A song sticking with my like that is a good thing. Reminds me of when I couldn't get I see the light out of my head for ages after I saw Tangled. So what's the consensus on Tangled vs Frozen anyway? As I've already said I definitely prefer Tangled. But I respect anyone who disagrees with that. Let the storm rage on.
I like Tangled but I don't think it knew what it wanted to be. It starts out as a goofy Shrek-like thing with Flynn and the Snugly Duckling crew before finding its groove as a straightforward, sentimental fairytale. I also think Frozen's best songs are better than Tangled's and its characters are more interesting. Not that Tangled had bad characters, they're actually pretty well-developed by Disney standards.

One thing Tangled did better is story. Frozen is really jumpy.

Volimar

I like Tangled but I don't think it knew what it wanted to be. It starts out as a goofy Shrek-like thing with Flynn and the Snugly Duckling crew before finding its groove as a straightforward, sentimental fairytale. I also think Frozen's best songs are better than Tangled's and its characters are more interesting. Not that Tangled had bad characters, they're actually pretty well-developed by Disney standards.

One thing Tangled did better is story. Frozen is really jumpy.

I liked Tangled better overall, but Frozen does a lot better.

Weekend Studio Estimates:
Frozen is still #1 in Japan after 10 weeks. It went up 8% from last week, and may still be making more this week than its opening week. Frozen's total in Japan is now $180M, and it is looking likely that it will end up as the highest grossing movie of all time there.

Thanks to the crazy Japanese run, Frozen is now past $1.2B, and will take the 2013 WW crown from Iron Man 3 next week. That would make it #5 of all time.

Amazing.

zeemumu

Peeking.gif

Hmm, this thread's still going. Alright, I'll check back in a few more months.

It’s been ages since I’ve listened to the World of Color version of ‘Let It Go’. I love this arrangement of the song. So grand and epic!

I knew they had a classic in the making the moment I heard it weeks before the movie even came out.....it still gives me goosebumps.

Cheerilee

Nice Frozen story of the entire production of Frozen and some extra stuff.

http://youtu.be/1MwJgXHpbOM

Worth a watch.

"I've heard a lot of people claim that Disney Animation Studios would screw up this sequel like they do all the others, but this mentality is completely unjustified, since WDAS has only ever made one sequel, which was The Rescuers Down Under, which by most is considered better than the original. Now some may say "What about Cinderella 2, or the Jungle Book 2, or the Lion King 1 1/2?" Well those were made by Disneytoon, another Disney studio that specializes in making quick straight-to-DVD cash-ins. So as long as they don't get their hands on Frozen, there's no reason to assume a sequel would be horrible."

I'm going to take issue with this point, because Disneytoon has proven that they can make good (maybe even great) movies when they're not being forced to make quick, straight-to-DVD cash-ins (just regular straight-to-DVD cash-ins). The studio is not the issue, it's the corporate mentality. If Disney treated Frozen 2 the same way they treated all those other sequels, and forced WDAS to make a Disneytoon-style sequel, it would most assuredly be horrible, despite WDAS being behind it.

If Disney wanted to ruin Frozen 2, Disneytoon would probably be the preferred studio to have in your corner, because they have extensive experience with trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

Of course, that's not going to happen, because Frozen 2 is worth too much to Disney. They're going to bend over backwards to give WDAS everything they need.

zroid

Banned
I knew Frozen was kind of a big deal in Japan but... WHAT THE FUCK?????

Disney's animated film Frozen sold 661,000 Blu-ray Discs on its first official day of sales in Japan. In one day on Wednesday, it has set the all-time record in Japan for cumulative Blu-ray Disc sales.

Evangelion: 2.22 has since garnered cumulative sales of 465,000 copies — the all-time record now broken by Frozen.

so it breaks the all-time LTD sales record by a margin of 50%... in 1 day...

zroid

Banned
So I just watched this with my parents. My dad likes animated movies but my mom doesn't, generally speaking. I didn't ask them if they liked it, probably give them the night to stew on it.

Noteworthy: at around 11 I asked if they wanted to stop since it was getting late, with still 30 minutes to go -- mom actually insisted we finish it now. I think that's a good sign. :p

Coach

I should have guess there would be a Frozen thread. My experience...

My wife loves Disney movies. She has a pretty solid collection from VHS, DVD, and now Blu-Ray. She did not see see Frozen when it first came out - work (teacher) and taking care of our first born while I was out coaching - but heard enough about it that she wanted to have it on Blu-Ray.

She got it and we watched it. She loved it and I admit it is a pretty solid flick. Olaf cracks me up.

Well remember I said that we had a baby last year. She is now 15 months old and I love her. Well about a month ago my wife thought she would let her watch it to see if she would like it.

She does.

A LOT.

I believe that I not only know the words to all the songs, but probably can recite the movie word for word.

I think she is just now getting bored with it, but she was watching it 3-4 times a day. She would point at the TV or the iPad and say, "Go" (probably for Let it Go)

"Go"

"Go"

"Go"

"Go"

"Go"

"Go"

Until you started it for her.

Anyway, I guess with a little girl now I had better get used to see Disney movies on the regular.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm sorry, the more I rewatch this the more... ehh... the movie feels. Honestly Tangled and Wreck It Ralph had more longevity than this.

Also I can't help but notice the sameface.

cajunator

Banned
After watching that video about why Frozen is popular I think it reignited my love for this movie yet again. Thought I was finally over it. but no Im gonna end up watching it again pretty soon I have a feeling. It just feels incredibly good to watch this movie. I cant quite put my finger on why.

So I finally had the chance to visit Disney stores in the US, and even the gigantic store on Time Square isn't carrying a lot of Frozen mercs, and of course I didn't find the mugs.

But I did ordered Elsa and Anna's Funk POP figures, so I got that going for me...
That feels good. :)
I see you have already claimed it as your avatar.

SoapyCub

Neo Member
Like others have said, there's nothing particularly new or special about Frozen, but something about it made it special to me. Lion King still top spot but Frozen is a close second.

Elsa tumblr http://queen.elsa.io/ (shameless plug)

Yay, first post out of the way. Back to lurking :p

Like others have said, there's nothing particularly new or special about Frozen, but something about it made it special to me. Lion King still top spot but Frozen is a close second.
For me I just find Elsa to be one of Disney's better protagonists.

A lot of their movies fall into a trap where the main character is far less interesting than the side characters but Elsa (and Anna) is an exception.

zroid

Banned
There are new Anna/Elsa Frozen mugs at Disney Stores... not quite as nice as the old ones, but not bad. Both are kind of purplish.

zroid

Banned
God dammit. I might have to see Cinderella now...

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ all-new short Frozen Fever, which welcomes Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Olaf back to the big screen, will open in theaters on March 13, 2015, in front of Disney’s Cinderella, a live-action feature inspired by the classic fairy tale.

Directed by Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, and produced by Peter Del Vecho and Aimee Scribner, with an all-new original song by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, “Frozen Fever” marks the first project reuniting the Oscar-winning original team from Disney’s Frozen.

In Frozen Fever, it’s Anna’s birthday and Elsa and Kristoff are determined to give her the best celebration ever, but Elsa’s icy powers may put more than just the party at risk.

Worried that you won’t be able to wait for the Spring? Our Ultimate Frozen Trivia Quiz will have you re-watching Frozen again and again to get all the details down, which should get you part of the way there.

Frozen Fever will be in theaters on March 13, 2015. You can see a trailer for the live-action Cinderella right here.

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2014/12/03/audiences-to-catch-frozen-fever-this-spring/

Top Bottom