• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney hits the panic button

FeralEcho

bad movies endless trash GIF

YCoCg

Now Freaky Friday 2, live action Lilo & Stitch...

Yea they’re totally panicking with two $1 billion movies within two months.
In terms of Pixar and animation it feels like they break out the sequel to a big IP when new stuff falls flat, the past two big hits were both sequels! Inside Out 2 and Deadpool 3.

YCoCg

Pixar also showed two original movies and their first original series at the same event. But facts don’t fit the narrative of course.
Those seem like they could be interesting, but sadly felt like filler between the sequel churn, did we really need an Incredibles 3 after how much 2 was a let down? Did we really need a Frozen 3 and 4? Why is Woody back in Toy Story 5 after 4 was his ending? Really, Freakier Friday?

FunkMiller

Seriously, do you work for them? Because you've become the Disney defence force. Yes, they've had great success with the two movies they've put out this year (one of which was successful thanks to a completely different company's output), but the massive course correct is obvious to anyone and everyone. As are the series of abject disasters that have occurred over the past few years.

Last edited:

Alandring

Toy Story 5, Incredibles 3, Frozen III, Inside Out TV Show, Zootopia 2, Frozen IV.

You get a Pixar sequel! Everybody gets a Pixar sequel!
Live action Lilo & Stitch, live action Snow White, live action Mufasa (sequel to Lion King). And Avatar 3, of course.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
When I was a young lad in the 90s, Disney/Touchstone, was outputting so much great stuff.
It's really sad to see Disney today, just shoving so much crap.
Same all over tbh. Practically everything seems to be a sequel or a franchise or part of a universe. As has been said many times, if people showed up for new, original movies they'd make more of them.

There'll be no shortage of ideas, just a lack of willingness to bankroll risky investments.

Take a look:

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Same all over tbh. Practically everything seems to be a sequel or a franchise or part of a universe. As has been said many times, if people showed up for new, original movies they'd make more of them.

There'll be no shortage of ideas, just a lack of willingness to bankroll risky investments.

But people did show up for new movies, up until the 90s and early 2000s.
Then the industry changed, and there was a big focus on super hero movies, and cinematic universes.
Now the public is so used to only seeing big super hero movies and nothing more.

Stitch

Gold Member
Pretty much every Disney film in the 90s had several sequels and TV Shows. Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch, Lion King, Arielle, ... Back then it was mostly for TV and VHS, now it's for cinema and streaming 🤷‍♂️

BlackTron

Pretty much every Disney film in the 90s had several sequels and TV Shows. Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch, Lion King, Arielle, ... Back then it was mostly for TV and VHS, now it's for cinema and streaming 🤷‍♂️

I think sequels to wholly original IP/stories is fine but when they make a sequel to an adaptation of a classic story, like Aladdin II or Mermaid II...even as a kid you knew it was the "other" crappy cashgrab version.

FunkMiller

Then the industry changed, and there was a big focus on super hero movies, and cinematic universes.
Now the public is so used to only seeing big super hero movies and nothing more.

The way the cinemas function has changed a great deal as well. Smaller venues have been squeezed out, reducing the opportunities for smaller and newer movies to get some screentime. The homogenisation of the movie going experience has been a joint venture between movie companies terrified of making anything other than four quadrant, and the cinema chains who cannot abide anything that doesn't get as many asses on seats as possible - especially given how much they over-reached in terms of infrastructure.

What results is a sclerotic and creatively bankrupt industry, driven by line go up, and the terror of not making huge profits on every single movie.

It has never been this bad in the past, and we are due a much needed collapse. That won't be fuelled by Disney, but plenty of other major corporations in dire financial straits.

Last edited:

Saber

I, for one, will take all the Incredibles movies they can make. The animation is so damn good in 2. The story in 2 felt a bit like a retread and I didn't like the family was separated for most of the movie but it was still really fun.

Not me.
I remember being ultra hyped for Incredibles 2. When I watched I was "wtf was that? No way its the same people who did the first one". Alot of weird and nonsensical stuff there that seems like they went with a purpose in this film.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think that the film studios are following the market, rather than the other way around.

The ideal for the studios would be to make films as cheaply as possible and for the highest return. Everything would be the Blair Witch Project.

There have been superhero films since the 1970s, they've only risen to prominence relatively recently. Certainly when Hugh Jackman took the role of Wolverine, in 2000, superhero films weren't anywhere near as big - X-Men is the only film from 2000's top 20 biggest film that's a superhero film.

If the public hadn't overwhelmingly gravitated towards superhero films, they wouldn't be so common - they're expensive to make for a start. A quick Google says that Meet The Parents cost less to make than X-Men.

I'm with you though, I much prefer films to have something new, unexpected, innovative, interesting. And for me, someone in a rubber suit and endless CGI isn't it.

Kabelly

Not me.
I remember being ultra hyped for Incredibles 2. When I watched I was "wtf was that? No way its the same people who did the first one". Alot of weird and nonsensical stuff there that seems like they went with a purpose in this film.
I don't know what you mean by nonsensical, but I thought this scene tells everything about the message they were trying to send.

We got to see new supers. The scene when Jack Jack, Violet and Dash get ambused by the cronies was awesome. The yacht scene was very well done.

I still think 1 is one of the best movies ever made but I didn't think 2 was terrible.

Saber

I don't know what you mean by nonsensical, but I thought this scene tells everything about the message they were trying to send.

His best friend running away, leaving them alone?
The Incredibles 2 was such a dissapoitment that no one here even remembers Incredibles had a sequel(and I mean no one, not even the kids knows that). Similar to Frozen 2.

Kabelly

His best friend running away, leaving them alone?
The Incredibles 2 was such a dissapoitment that no one here even remembers Incredibles had a sequel(and I mean no one, not even the kids knows that). Similar to Frozen 2.
Who's best friend? Huh? Running away? I don't get you. Are you talking about Mr. Incredible staying home while Elastigirl was picked as the first super to launch for their legalize Supers campaign?

No one remembers sounds pretty anedotal to me. I still watch 1 and 2 back to back all the time.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Moana 2 looks fun at least

Eh, don't get your hopes up for that. It was a Chapek project made on the cheap. It was a Disney+ series without the original cast in it being animated in Vancouver and not at the Disney Animation Studios in Burbank. The series was mostly done last year, but then Iger came back and had it turned into a movie and got the original cast to return.

Toons

Most of these sequels were announced as early as last year if not prior, and if they weren't we knew they were in rbe works. Theres nothing here they are doing that hasn't been expected for a while lol.

They also announced new IPs. Which are ignored. Which is why they keep making sequels... so...

Spyxos

Gold Member
But didn't they have a lot of movies before that were massive flops? Even if the 2 films are very successful, they will hardly be able to replace the other flops.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They should remake Something Wicked This Way Comes

Several years ago, Disney began restoring their ENTIRE catalog in full 4K for archival purposes. Every short, every movie. They did all of the Silly Symphonies and restored Song of the South to the point where they were able to remove the camera judder (it apparently looks STUNNING). I'm really curious if when they were doing that if they located all of the cut footage from Something Wicked This Way Comes and could restore the original version.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They should remake Something Wicked This Way Comes
No, that film is perfect. And quite frankly I don't trust ANYONE in hollywood to grok the meaning of the novel, the love of a father for his son, or to represent the setting with any type of authenticity. That aura of naive innocence Bradbury could conjure up is long dead in tinseltown.

near

Gold Member
But didn't they have a lot of movies before that were massive flops? Even if the 2 films are very successful, they will hardly be able to replace the other flops.
A fair few tentpole films underperformed last year, I don’t think it was necessarily exclusive to Disney but yes they’ve definitely had a few flops. Most of which broke even but failed to draw in tentpole box office numbers. However, given that they’ve been actively been pushing Disney+ it’s been a net positive for the streaming service imo.

ManaByte

Gold Member
No, that film is perfect. And quite frankly I don't trust ANYONE in hollywood to grok the meaning of the novel, the love of a father for his son, or to represent the setting with any type of authenticity. That aura of naive innocence Bradbury could conjure up is long dead in tinseltown.

The version released wasn't Bradbury's. They did an uncredited script re-write on it, delayed the movie nearly six months, and cut a ton of stuff out of the original version.

Madflavor

Gold Member
I really cannot fault them for this. In fact, they're doing the correct thing here. Audiences aren't showing up for original stories anymore. If you're in the business to make money and original stories bomb out of the box office, while sequels make $200 million opening weekend, what are you supposed to do? People just don't want to use their time and money at the theater, for something that's unfamiliar to them. They want something safe, something they recognize and think they'll enjoy.

On the whole, we got what we deserved.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Several years ago, Disney began restoring their ENTIRE catalog in full 4K for archival purposes. Every short, every movie. They did all of the Silly Symphonies and restored Song of the South to the point where they were able to remove the camera judder (it apparently looks STUNNING). I'm really curious if when they were doing that if they located all of the cut footage from Something Wicked This Way Comes and could restore the original version.
Oh man, they are gonna make me double/triple dip for the full suite of Disney films aren't they? Not just the animated classics, but if they do stuff like 20k leagues, Swiss family, and Black Hole in reference 4K...whew. And are they really gonna put out SotS?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh man, they are gonna make me double/triple dip for the full suite of Disney films aren't they? Not just the animated classics, but if they do stuff like 20k leagues, Swiss family, and Black Hole in reference 4K...whew.

Most of the 4K stuff is already on D+, and things are being automatically upgraded as they're completed. Their catalog is HUGE and they've been working on this since like 2016 or 2017. The 4K versions of Star Wars were done in 2012 before George even sold Lucasfilm.

And are they really gonna put out SotS?

Nope. Never. Was just done to have a pristine archival version.

Top Bottom