• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

curb

Banned
I agree with fernoca. I also hope that 4.0 is still planned and that they'll continue to put work into the gameplay and systems during the extra year.

Pushing 4.0 back a year or more is only a good thing. I think it implies we might be getting a wholly overhauled Infinity instead of just another iterative update.

In the meantime we're still getting new content and figures that may have otherwise been held back for a new game lifecycle too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In the VentureBeat interview, JV was clear that they still intended to make 4.0 at some point, but that this year was not that time.

Lego Dimensions also doesn't seem to be getting a new game this year, and Skylanders uses alternating developers a la CoD, so they would be the only company with true annual games if they stuck to that schedule.

curb

Banned
4.0 should introduce Dusney Afternoon, Video Game IP, and crossover playsets. Like Spidey in Star Wars.

I personally don't think that will happen. They'll keep pushing whatever is current in those four pillars and they won't mix those four pillars outside of the Toy Box.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'd like to see some Disney Afternoon stuff too but I don't think there'll be much outside of maybe a couple figures and/or power discs.

Malyse

I personally don't think that will happen. They'll keep pushing whatever is current in those four pillars and they won't mix those four pillars outside of the Toy Box.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'd like to see some Disney Afternoon stuff too but I don't think there'll be much outside of maybe a couple figures and/or power discs.
Should =! Will.
Game ip is likely.

Malyse

KEYBLADE.png

latest

You won't see Disney Afternoon stuff but there's a shot at content from the upcoming Ducktales series and anything that follows in that vein. If Darkwing Duck comes back somehow that's the only chance we'd get him.

Baloo could probably get a Tailspin costume disc if they weren't restricting those to small themed sets, though. Costumes seem able to go a bit more obscure.

curb

Banned
You won't see Disney Afternoon stuff but there's a shot at content from the upcoming Ducktales series and anything that follows in that vein. If Darkwing Duck comes back somehow that's the only chance we'd get him.

Baloo could probably get a Tailspin costume disc if they weren't restricting those to small themed sets, though. Costumes seem able to go a bit more obscure.

I think the game will be primarily forward facing. New Ducktales TV series? Then the likelihood of content from Ducktales increases.

I really don't think we'll see many more play sets that aren't based on movies either or at least movie related.

Yeah while I could see some TV series content it's never going to be playsets. Objects and maybe figures (Scrooge would be great to have with the new show) but playsets nope.

Playsets are so expensive to produce they basically have to live off movie hype.

curb

Banned
Yeah while I could see some TV series content it's never going to be playsets. Objects and maybe figures (Scrooge would be great to have with the new show) but playsets nope.

Playsets are so expensive to produce they basically have to live off movie hype.

They certainly do.

I don't envy the people who work on that game. Disney is so broad and they'll never be able to make everyone happy. I feel bad for whoever runs their social media accounts.

curb

Banned
And some movie hype isn't even enough. I mean, Zootopia's a big movie ($600 mil worldwide), but we only got Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde, no playset.

True. It's new IP though so maybe that's not too surprising to me. They'll make playsets out of the bankable
sequel
stuff.

No Zootopia Playset is 3.0's version of the 1.0 No Frozen Playset mistake, I think.

Such a great setting for exploration and fun NPCs and enemies and boss fights. And it's doing so well in theaters.

But predicting success is hard to do, especially with how much Zootopia changed in the past year or two from its original form.

True. It's new IP though so maybe that's not too surprising to me. They'll make playsets out of the bankable
sequel
stuff.

Sure, but Inside Out was a new IP, and that got a playset plus 5 characters.

I'd suspect that Zootopia's release date was the bigger problem. It was post-Christmas, well after launch of 3.0, whereas Inside Out released only a month or two before 3.0 released, and it had the holiday season to sell a ton.

It's a shame, though. A bustling open world Zooptopia could have made for a super cool playset.

curb

Banned
Sure, but Inside Out was a new IP, and that got a playset plus 5 characters.

I'd suspect that Zootopia's release date was the bigger problem. It was post-Christmas, well after launch of 3.0, whereas Inside Out released only a month or two before 3.0 released, and it had the holiday season to sell a ton.

It's a shame, though. A bustling open world Zooptopia could have made for a super cool playset.

New Pixar IP maybe? I dunno.

I think you're right about the release date thing.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The pattern's pretty clear. Pixar IP gets strong consideration for playsets, Walt Disney Animation films do not.

It made sense when Infinity first started development and Tangled was the first WDA film in ages to make some real waves while Pixar movies always killed, but since then, WDA's star has risen a lot and Pixar's is waning. It's definitely high time they give WDA playsets equal consideration.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This has probably been asked before, but what are the chances we would see a Deadpool character?

I know this is on the more mature side of the Marvel realm, but a fan made concept looks so good...

curb

Banned
This has probably been asked before, but what are the chances we would see a Deadpool character?

I know this is on the more mature side of the Marvel realm, but a fan made concept looks so good...

That's awesome.

Chances are probably slim to none though at least for now. As you mention, he's a pretty "mature" character. He's also likely included in the Fox film property shutout.

No Zootopia was a mistake. Not as much as no Frozen, their biggest regret. I wished there was a Big Hero 6 playset too.

True, true. Big Hero 6 is a big miss as well. There were so many more characters to make too!

When will pigs fly?

Malyse

They could solve so much by targeting DVD releases instead of theatrical. I mean, they swerved from BH6 to GotG, right? It's not like the playsets have been widely varied, save Inside Out. Mostly it's level design that's the difference, and occasionally a quirk for that particular IP. Pirates had sailing mechanics, Star Wars had space battles, Monsters had a points tally (that was actually immaterial). In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to find that they have a lot of prebuilt assets that they can adapt to whatever.

But they should be focused on Toy Box games instead of play sets.

Actually, what I want from 4.0 most is AI partners with local drop in/drop out. Like, playsets have two figures, right? So let me put a second character on the base to play along with me, earning 2/3 exp when controlled by AI and that a second player can hop in and control at any time.
Yes, this does directly tie into my desire for a KH play set with Sora/Riku/Kairi + any Disney figure.
The other thing I want with 4.0 is play set compatibility. I want reworked 1.0 and 2.0 versions of their playsets, designed with 3.0 sensability.

curb

Banned
They could solve so much by targeting DVD releases instead of theatrical. I mean, they swerved from BH6 to GotG, right? It's not like the playsets have been widely varied, save Inside Out. Mostly it's level design that's the difference, and occasionally a quirk for that particular IP. Pirates had sailing mechanics, Star Wars had space battles, Monsters had a points tally (that was actually immaterial). In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to find that they have a lot of prebuilt assets that they can adapt to whatever.

But they should be focused on Toy Box games instead of play sets.

They should do some of both. Putting a Star Wars playset out with a movie release is a pretty sure bet but they could definitely time other sets to coincide with home release.

I don't know if I'd say they should focus on Toy Box games but they should definitely do more. To me, Battlegrounds should have been a cross-property Toy Box game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Any IP owned by other studios are off the table. So no mutants or Fantastic Four.

It's a shame, a lineup of Marvel figures with no Wolverine or Dr. Doom is a fundamentally incomplete Marvel lineup. Dr. Doom's especially missed considering how anemic the villain selection is in Infinity. I can understand not doing playsets for those IPs, but jeez, bury the hatchet for the figures.

Disney still lets those IPs be part of Marvel Masterpiece and Hero Mashers figure lines, so it's not like the freeze is even being held to in the toy realm.

And that's not even getting into them not doing figures for Marvel IP they're not even antagonizing. Where's Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and Punisher? I get they're kinda R-rated, but it's a game that should represent Marvel's most well-known characters. Those guys' numbers should get called way, way before Ant-man, Nova, and Vision.

No R-rated Marvel character would show up in Infinity, do not dream. They are outside the target audience.

But there are tons of Disney stuff I want. Winnie the Pooh, Muppets, Ducktales. And maybe even some Disney Junior stuff too, like Jake.

No R-rated Marvel character would show up in Infinity, do not dream. They are outside the target audience.

But there are tons of Disney stuff I want. Winnie the Pooh, Muppets, Ducktales. And maybe even some Disney Junior stuff too, like Jake.

My kid would love some Miles from Tomorrowland.

curb

Banned
Played random bit of Lego Avengers with brother, ran into Jessica Jones. If a LEGO game can have her...

Good point and Daredevil is in there too. It's the comic versions though and I think the increasingly more MCU focus in Infinity muddies the waters. At the very least, it would put DD the like at a lower priority behind the more PG oriented movie characters.

Seigyoku

Good point and Daredevil is in there too. It's the comic versions though and I think the increasingly more MCU focus in Infinity muddies the waters. At the very least, it would put DD the like at a lower priority behind the more PG oriented movie characters.

The entire Spider-man line up screamed Ultimate Spider-man animated series, so it is more like, pull from what the kids know and mix it up some. I mean Fury was a Spidey set toy! And Nova! (Again, why no White Tiger figure, hmmph.)

curb

Banned
The entire Spider-man line up screamed Ultimate Spider-man animated series, so it is more like, pull from what the kids know and mix it up some. I mean Fury was a Spidey set toy! And Nova! (Again, why no White Tiger figure, hmmph.)

That's why I said increasingly. All the 3.0 Marvel figures have had MCU ties and Battlegrounds is a loose tie in to Civil War in that it has heroes fighting against each other. I'm sure there'll be new Marvel figures in the fall and one of more will be related to the Dr Strange movie.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
On that point, the Avengers figs were based on the Avengers Assemble cartoon, in which Dr. Doom has appeared frequently as a villain. They could have easily gotten one of Marvel's most iconic villains in under that context. Instead we get fuckin' Ronan and Roid Goblin.

curb

Banned
The Spidey playset was definitely all based on the current cartoon but I bet there won't be another Spider-Man playset until his next movie.

To get away from figures and playsets: I would like to see more team-up discs and costume discs. One of the things I'm actually kind of disappointed about in 3.0 is how few cool new power discs there are, and how tightly controlled their themes are.

There's no fun one-off things like in 2.0 and we're getting far fewer vehicles than we have in the past(which strikes me as odd, where's the Toybox Speedway disc set with new cars and stuff?). And while there's a decent amount of costumes, there's no new Marvel ones, the IP that's arguably got not just the most but the best options for new costume discs to choose from.

I'm hoping the Battlegrounds disc set was, as it was named, specifically Battlegrounds focused and we're getting a 2nd set of Marvel discs later on. Maybe with some new costumes and team-ups.

I'd also like to see some more loosely themed packs. Like a Costume Disc set with four costumes for otherwise unrelated characters. Or a Team-Up Disc pack with a smattering of characters who didn't make it as figures this go-round but people would still like to see in the game in some form. A vehicle pack would be nice too.

While I think the predetermined packs of discs is a much better method of selling them than the blind bags, it feels like variety has suffered an awful lot as a side-effect. If this kind of thing had been done for 2.0 there's no way we'd have gotten anything themed around, say, Darkwing Duck or the Muppets. And Disney Infinity is meant to celebrate all of Disney, not just the newest stuff. Power discs always seemed like the way to do that without having to invest in expensive figure or playset development.

Spidey set was based on the Animated Ultimate Spider-man because at that time Sony deal with Marvel was not done yet.

MrMephistoX

No Zootopia Playset is 3.0's version of the 1.0 No Frozen Playset mistake, I think.

Such a great setting for exploration and fun NPCs and enemies and boss fights. And it's doing so well in theaters.

But predicting success is hard to do, especially with how much Zootopia changed in the past year or two from its original form.

I think in both cases they were unexpected hits: these things are planned out at least a year in advance. Pixar has traditionally been a safe bet and they seem (based on history) to be really down with Infinity as a showcase.

curb

Banned
I think in both cases they were unexpected hits: these things are planned out at least a year in advance. Pixar has traditionally been a safe bet and they seem (based on history) to be really down with Infinity as a showcase.

I'm sure there'll be a Frozen 2 playset though (if Infinity is still around then)

I'm sure there'll be a Frozen 2 playset though (if Infinity is still around then)

Sure, but when the main characters are already available in singke packs (Frozen, BH6, Zootopia) it is an additional problem to make the packin figure in the playset. Unless it is a repose, I guess.

curb

Banned
Sure, but when the main characters are already available in singke packs (Frozen, BH6, Zootopia) it is an additional problem to make the packin figure in the playset. Unless it is a repose, I guess.

I'm sure the characters will have new costumes in the movie which will translate to new figures.

Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 and Incredibles 2 will all likely have new figures for those 1.0 characters in new outfits or whatever. New poses in the case of the Toy Story crew.

They're all a ways off but I'd be surprised if any of those three didn't get playsets in whatever version of Infinity we're on by then.

Cap, Mickey, and Spidey show they're not afraid to make new figures for existing popular characters with updated move sets. And honestly the Toy Story crew needs an update pretty bad. Incredibles and Frozen would benefit from it too, but the Toy Story figures have some really mediocre design to their abilities. Woody can't lasso anything with his drawstring, Buzz doesn't use his laser, etc. they're the most 1.0 of the 1.0 crew.

curb

Banned
Speaking of Spidey, I wonder what has the higher chances of coming first: Civil War Spidey figure or whole new playset.

Edit: I guess a better way of putting it is that I wonder if we'll see an MCU Spider-Man figure before his next movie (which has a high chance of getting a playset).

Speaking of Spidey, I wonder what has the higher chances of coming first: Civil War Spidey figure or whole new playset.

Edit: I guess a better way of putting it is that I wonder if we'll see an MCU Spider-Man figure before his next movie (which has a high chance of getting a playset).

I think they will save Spidey for the movie tie-in playset.

I don't have any strong opinions on it either way but I'm actually surprised they did Black Suit Spidey with a new movie version coming in just a couple months.

I'd bet the decision to release Black Suit Spidey was done back when they made the Vita version back in 2015. They probably did a single run of those figures, packaging some with the 2.0 Vita Starter Pack, and others in the new upcoming (at the time) 3.0 packaging.

John Vignocci said on Twitter a few times that they weren't planning on making BS Spidey a 3.0 release originally, but so many people were asking for a standalone version that they decided to do it since 90% of the work was already done anyway.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was planned further back than that though.

curb

Banned
In wouldn't be surprised if civil war spidey comes later this year with the other Marvel figures we are getting

I've been mulling over that possibility. I'm sure if that Sony deal had come along sooner, we'd have skipped Black Suit Spidey and gone straight to MCU Spidey.

Top Bottom