• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you really like Astro Bot? Then you HAVE TO try this game (Astro Bot.....!)

Delt31

Rescue Mission VR!!! On sale for $10 digitally.

Sorry for another thread but I heard so much about Astro Bot Rescue Mission on PSVR but thought how could a platformer be worth the headset so I passed. Fast forward and I'm absolutely BLOWN AWAY with Astro Bot for ps5. Just love everything about it so I revisited Astro Bot VR walkthrough on youtube and notice SO many similarities from the game I was just playing on my PS5.

Lucking I have a ps4 pro still so I bought a PSVR used for really cheap ($75?) and Astro Bot VR is on sale right now for $10 and......

It's amazing and I'm sorry for another "Astro Bot" thread but this is a PSA for those that have now been bitten by the AS bug like me.

Think about the PS5 game but literally living in it. Yes the graphics aren't as good but all of the goodness you love about the PS5 version (music, bosses, layout, etc) it's all there and instead of amazing graphics you get pretty cool VR 2018 style graphics BUT with VR only goodness like the hookshot and other elements that really showcase the power of VR that you'll never experience on the flat screen via PS5.

I'm just saying if you're like me and missed out on rescue mission and LOVE astro bot on PS5, you really should check it out. The game holds up incredibly well - I'm really enjoying the game in VR as you can literally be right next to astro bot as he flying around the stage. Brilliant.

Now we can only hope for a rerelease but after playing it on PS4, it's SO geared towards that controller, I just don't see it happening.....

Last edited:
I hope that we can one day enjoy VR as a semi-mainstream device worthy of making games for, because AstroBot truly comes alive even more in VR. It is sensational.

Doesn't take away anything from the new game, but it does add an element that can't be replaced on the flatscreen.

It is fucking sad that Sony won't even port Rescue Mission to PSVR2.....hopefully with AstroBot being a popular release it will kick them in the ass to spend a tiny amount of money to port it. Would be glorious to see on PS5 Pro + PSVR2

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
DHH0eP5.gif

Danny22

Neo Member
It's the most joyful game I've maybe ever played. Like if you're jaded from gaming, it makes you feel like a kid again.

I'm sure Astro bot is amazing but the VR version is beyond that and I hope more people try it out now with the added publicity.

XXL

If/when this game comes to PC it will have a VR mod made for it.

It obviously still wouldn't be like Rescue Mission, but it will be great for what it is.

I'll be buying it again.

ZehDon

Legitimately one the best games for VR, and one of the only platformers to match Nintendo's offering in terms of sheer joy.

At the end of the game, when Astro Bot leaves to rejoin all of his buddies you've helped rescue, and he waves? Yeah, I waved back.

Danny22

Neo Member
Legitimately one the best games for VR, and one of the only platformers to match Nintendo's offering in terms of sheer joy.

At the end of the game, when Astro Bot leaves to rejoin all of his buddies you've helped rescue, and he waves? Yeah, I waved back.
Which Nintendo games rival this in terms of joy? Legitmately asking because I haven't played a lot of switch games until I played astro bot.

Trilobit

I sometimes close one of my eyes when playing games on TV to get a better sense of depth. I don't know why my brain works that way, but I did it yesterday with Forbidden West when I was walking around a forest and it was like looking into a "real" world. Then I open my other eye and it's yet again just a flat 2D image. I wish VR had full FOV, I don't really enjoy feel super-immersed with those big warm thingies on my head. I hope there's some amazing advancements in tech with 20 years.

GHG

Gold Member
I would if they made it available on PSVR2 via the PS5. In fact, it would help push me towards actually purchasing a PSVR2.

But until then, it's not happening.

Osthyvel

I actually think rescue mission is better then the latest one.

Rescue Mission one of the best vrgames ever made, i played it again yesterday after playing Astro Bot.

Ofcourse they can do a remake if they want, and that remake would sell psvr2 by its own.

I really hope that it happends in a near future.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
One the best games I ever played, as an experience it was really incredible. Just a shame there's no backwards compatibility, so I'd have to pack up the PSVR2, dig out the PSVR 1 (and the adapter for PS5, hopefully not lost), reconnect all that shit just to play one game.

I hope that we can one day enjoy VR as a semi-mainstream device worthy of making games for, because AstroBot truly comes alive even more in VR. It is sensational.

Doesn't take away anything from the new game, but it does add an element that can't be replaced on the flatscreen.

It is fucking sad that Sony won't even port Rescue Mission to PSVR2.....hopefully with AstroBot being a popular release it will kick them in the ass to spend a tiny amount of money to port it. Would be glorious to see on PS5 Pro + PSVR2
I love Astro Bot so far but man does it make me miss Rescue Mission. I'm almost about to buy a PSVR1 again just to play it...

Mownoc

I've tried PSVR, I owned a Quest 2. VR is amazing, but it's also not for me yet. Motion sickness and I don't enjoy having the thing strapped to my face for more than like 30 mins. I think even people who get motion sick with it can get used to it through perseverance but I don't have the patience for it. I could play Beat Sabre but anything with movement like Fallout 4 made me die.

So sadly I don't think I've ever going to play this. Maybe it gets re-released at some point in the future or PS4 emulation supports PSVR in the future and I can give it a go with a more comfortable advanced headset.

Rescue Mission and Nier Automata were my two fav games last gen and definitely Rescue Mission was the most innovative experience I've had in videogames since Mario 64, not even close to everything else.

Those who haven tried, I assure you it's worth the money.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I'm not into VR in general, but I have my brother's PSVR1 stuff at my place tucked somewhere in a box, but I just can't be bothered setting all that up... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I think I also need to request a PS camera adapter from Sony so PSVR can work with my PS5. I'm also not a big VR fan so yeah...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I'm content with the 'flat experiences' we got with Astro Bot & Astro's PlayRoom on PS5.

I'm not into VR in general, but I have my brother's PSVR1 stuff at my place tucked somewhere in a box, but I just can't be bothered setting all that up... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I think I also need to request a PS camera adapter from Sony so PSVR can work with my PS5. I'm also not a big VR fan so yeah...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I'm content with the 'flat experiences' we got with Astro Bot & Astro's PlayRoom on PS5.

Dude, JUST FUCKING DO IT.

Yeah, the set up is a pain in the ass, but you won't regret it. The beach level on VR is something that needs to be experienced.

Dafegamer

I already said this before, but even with it being a TV-based game, Astro Bot feels more like the direct sequel to Rescue Mission, rather than Astro's Playroom.
Yup, even the mechanic of collecting the bots. Hell they use lots of music from Rescue Mission as well I've noticed

Muffdraul

I bought a PSVR years ago but never set it up. I bought Rescue Missions right after finishing Astro's Playroom when I finally was able to find a PS5 a little over two years ago. But I still have yet to even unbox the damn PSVR. =(

Top Bottom