• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

do you think PSP 2 in development right now? what about PS4, soon right after PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GigaDrive

Banned
it sounds rediculas I know, but it's probably happening as we speak. PSP is basicly done, I think. the hardware has to be set in stone by now. I'm pretty certain that Sony said final hardware is going out to developers NOW. so that means, R&D on the sucessor to PSP must be underway. we've all heard that development on the next generation platform gets started before the current machine comes out in any part of the world. this was true of PS2/PS3. in 1999, Sony was already talking PS3, before the PS2 came out in Japan. If Sony was talking about PS3 in 1999, then certainly R&D was already underway.

is there anything about PSP that needs to be dramatically improved on that we would want in a sucessor? I see PSP lasting anywhere from 6 to 10 years. maybe less, maybe not. I think Sony must already be starting at least early work on the sucessor. And yes, as soon as PS3 is finished, work on PS4 will start. how close to being finished is PS3 at this point?

I doubt they're going to start up on another PSP when this one isn't completed. Also throw in that they don't even know if it's going to be a success. It's definetly not in development.

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:
I doubt they're going to start up on another PSP when this one isn't completed. Also throw in that they don't even know if it's going to be a success. It's definetly not in development.

Sony should release one without the extra features though.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
R&D groups are -always- working on new ideas. That doesn't mean they are actually plotting out new systems, though. It would be much too early to begin -real- work on the "next" Sony handheld...

(Assuming this one doesn't crash and burn)

jarrod

Banned
I think Sony's more looking to set PSP (and UMD) as a standard. They'll come out with different model PSPs, but I think part of the reasoning for the high level specs is not wanting to fall into the console cycle trap... they want PSP to last longer if possible.

Koshiro

Hardware companies are laways working on new ideas, Sega was technically working on Dreamcast when Saturn launched, but of course they weren't building the actual system, just bouncing ideas around.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
AniHawk said:
Sony should release one without the extra features though.

They would save, maybe $2 off the unit's price, but I don't even think that as they would be re-engineerign and testing the SoC to remove stuff that is used for gaming too and would need to be replaced by other chips.

The VME is used both for in-game sounds and music as well as for ATRAC3 playback.

The AVC decoder is used for game's FMVs ( developers use them ) and for UMD and Memory Stick based movies.

WiFi ? Interesting, this way you guys can claim how Nintendo, with the DS, smartened up and one-upped Sony in the online market regarding portables ?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Of course. Hardware makers don't craft their latest creation, get it out to market, and then think, "Well, that was pretty good. What do you say we take it easy for a while, maybe hit Europe for a year? After all, we won't be needing to make new hardware for what, at least a few years, right?" Hell, Nintendo starting working on the N64 sometime in the early 90's, officially announced the project in '93, and still couldn't launch in the U.S. until Septemer 1996.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well obviously Sony has tech and biz analysts looking at what is the next thing in the industries where Sony is in - be that home or portable gaming. But I bet Sony doesn't build a R&D team of hundreds of people to work on something, first they must lock down the plan to a reasonable level. Of course they can have some guys always doing experimental work.

The more interesting question in my mind is that in what level is the PS3 R&D team, is it in full size or are they still doing with small team? If they are, you can pretty much wave 2006 goodbye.

jarrod

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
WiFi ? Interesting, this way you guys can claim how Nintendo, with the DS, smartened up and one-upped Sony in the online market regarding portables ?
Well, they were smart enough to add in a low battery cost local wireless solution in addition to WiFi anyway. :p

xexex

Banned
well now that PSP is complete (??) I would say..... maybe Sony's thinking about it. no idea if it's in actual dev right now. probably not. not until PS3 is done, and PS3 isn't done yet.

No, the developers with PSP2 and PS4 developer's kits don't even bother anymore as they know that Skynet will overtake control over our planet and kill all their target groups in the next few years. Arnie is now governer and there is nobody to save us this time.
My crystall ball says so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom