• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA: U scores a 9 on GMR

IJoel

So... for all the drama that Fable caused, let's hear it for DOA: U now.

Who reviewed this on GMR? Was it Che or Milkman? Any of you guys care to share some impressions?

I'm certainly looking forward to the Online component as the whole 'arcade' feel is supposedly recreated.

And, because no thread should lack pics, here are some:

914836_20040723_screen005.jpg

914836_20040723_screen016.jpg

914836_20040723_screen018.jpg

Note: If you preorder the game on EB, you get the following wall scroll:
DOAUbanner.jpg

The elephant moves when you hit it.

I have a Q as well. Do you get the DoA3 movelist for your characters? I want my air grabs for Bass and Tina!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
milky reviewed it, and greg will review it for XBN (i get to do MK: Deception instead, whee).

the gameplay remains the same as DOA3 :( with the only tweak being that now you have three reversal heights (high, med, and low) as opposed to just two.

that said, the game is extremely polished, and the online features are supreme.

p.s. stop being such trolls.

----

http://chespace.1up.com

Mrbob

chespace said:
milky reviewed it, and greg will review it for XBN (i get to do MK: Deception instead, whee).

the gameplay remains the same as DOA3 :( with the only tweak being that now you have three reversal heights (high, med, and low) as opposed to just two.

that said, the game is extremely polished, and the online features are supreme.

p.s. stop being such trolls.

----

I thought new moves were being added?

chespace said:

Oh Jesus please don't tell me that's what they say in the review....

DOA HAS HAD 3 LEVEL REVERSALS SINCE DOA2!!!!!!!!

Miburou

Im buying this for the graphics. Now that DoA3 is no longer with me, I need something to show off my Xbox and widescreen TV.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Shogmaster said:
Oh Jesus please don't tell me that's what they say in the review....

DOA HAS HAD 3 LEVEL REVERSALS SINCE DOA2!!!!!!!!
Yeah. I've read on IGN and DOACentral that the new counter hold system goes 4 levels deep for High Attacks, Mid High, Mid Low, & Low Attacks.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
That's all they added...? You've got to be kidding me.

Do these fighters not train before sequels?!

rastex

Banned
Yes there are ground reflections.

If it's just DOA2 with upgrades or DOA3 then that'll be somewhat disappointing. I'm really looking forward to see how the online Arcade mode is implemented. *sigh* it doesn't matter.. nothing matters nwo that SFAC was delayed... *sigh*

IJoel

FIGHT!

DOA: U includes:
- Original DOA
- DOA 2 (I believe it has DOA 3 move set, and it has probably been tweaked)
- More locales
- More costumes
- Xbox Live Modes for both DOA and DOA 2

DaCocoBrova

The online mode is much like going to an arcade and putting your quarter on the screen. You can watch people duke it out, call next etc.

DaCocoBrova

I'll get the game to work no doubt, but won't bother going online with it... I'm about to mod a new XBOX anyway and will most likely venture out on live w/ that.

chespace

ok ok! jesus. FOUR level reversals as opposed to THREE WHICH WAS ALREADY IN PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF DOA!1!!1!!11111oone oenoneoneoenpwnedd

and no, i haven't read any of the reviews. just super brief impressions based on what i played when itagaki was here the other week.

personally, i'm not super interested in DOA:U, but you bet i'll play it for a few days online... if only because ninja gaiden gave me such super wood and instilled mucho cred for team ninja in my mind.

p.s. i am a VF4/SC2 player.

----

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Speaking of Ninja Gaiden again, i just played the hurricane pack for the first time....yeah i couldnt get past the first level...it was hard before but now its just crazy...fun though :D

chespace

PhatSaqs said:
Speaking of Ninja Gaiden, how does Fable stand up to it in regards to wood inducing factor? :p

let's put it this way, you can get nutrition from both an apple and an orange.

Gerber

Banned
The online modes for this game are insane. 8 player mini tourneys where the 8 can watch the matches in progress. There are a ton of more online mode options that are just amazingly cool. I'm not a fighting fan but I enjoy well implemented online games, and this looks to be setting a new standard for the idea of a virtual arcade. :)

DaCocoBrova

Funny how no one talks about the game's performance while online (lag). There hasn't been any online console 3D fighters for a reason.

From what I hear, lag is an issue, but it's tolerable. For that reason, this game can't be taken too seriously from a competition standpoint.

Gerber

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Funny how no one talks about the game's performance while online (lag). There hasn't been any online console 3D fighters for a reason.

From what I hear, lag is an issue, but it's tolerable. For that reason, this game can't be taken too seriously from a competition standpoint.

Where did you hear that Coco? Gamespot had a pretty glowing online preview some months back.

If the game runs like crap, but no one is talking about it like you say, how would you know? Do your research.

chespace

DaCocoBrova said:

also, i'm not sure hardcore fighting game fans use DOA3 as any measure of tournament skill. :) we played the game online, in the office. there was zero lag, but then again, we were on a LAN. i think the game will deal with lag just fine, and since it isn't that competitive of a fighter to begin with (read: it's for the mainstream), i don't think lag will be a huge issue.

DaCocoBrova

LAN play should be LAG free. The Internet is a whole other beast tho.

Knowing it even has LAN play (hopefully it'll remain in there) is good to know though.

My sources have told me that play over Live isn't 'perfect' but the game is still loads of fun.

About DOA being for the mainstream... With every itteration, I hope and pray to the gaming Gods that the gameplay will finally be tweaked enough to play the game at high levels of play. I stopped praying after 3.

I can still enjoy the games tho.

Gerber

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:

Knowing it even has LAN play (hopefully it'll remain in there) is good to know though.

My sources have told me that play over Live isn't 'perfect' but the game is still loads of fun.

About DOA being for the mainstream... With every itteration, I hope and pray to the gaming Gods that the gameplay will finally be tweaked enough to play the game at high levels of play. I stopped praying after 3.

Did he just say 'my sources'? :D :D

PhatSaqs

Banned
There never will be a game that plays over Live "perfectly". With locations & different setups (routers) always being an issue, 100% lag free games 100% of the time are impossible.

DaCocoBrova

Actually, most games do play close enough to perfect over Live. That's part of the appeal IMO.

But this is a fighter. Twitch gameplay doesn't work too well over networks w/ latency issues. Routers and different hardware means nothing. It all boils down to data and the amount of time it takes to travel on average. The less, the better obviously.

And yeah, I said 'sources'.

Don't hate, unless you want to.

WarPig

DOA fans I think will have one of two reactions to it. Either they'll go "this is just DOA2, I already played this," or "this is DOA2 online, I wanna play a whole shitload more of this!" I'm not really sure how to tell which reaction you'll have.

It is, as Che said, really goddamned polished, and I like the idea of more complex reversals to give it more depth online. I actually think it's the same reversal system from Naomi DOA2 -- didn't it have four different reversal commands? I forget, I last played it like five years ago...

Anyway they brought back Kasumi's cute outfit with the overalls and the baseball cap, so I'm pretty much sold.

DFS.

SaitoH

WarPig said:
DOA fans I think will have one of two reactions to it. Either they'll go "this is just DOA2, I already played this," or "this is DOA2 online, I wanna play a whole shitload more of this!" I'm not really sure how to tell which reaction you'll have.

My reaction to DOA3 was "this is just DOA2, I already played this," but maybe having a couple years to get over that, will make me more receptive to DOA:U.

>_>

Anyway, it looks so damn nice, I probably end up picking it up.

=_=;; <==Is weak.

WarPig

I played just enough DOA3 to fuck me up trying to play DOA Ultimate. I keep trying to use all these moves that aren't there like the Tina air-throw powerbomb and the Shining Wizard.

I too am weak versus the graphics. Sigh. At least I don't have to pay money for it.

DFS.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
DaCocoBrova said:

What good is LAN in a fighter? I don't understand. Do you have a BO problem and no one wants to be near you? ;)

Mrbob

WarPig said:
I played just enough DOA3 to fuck me up trying to play DOA Ultimate. I keep trying to use all these moves that aren't there like the Tina air-throw powerbomb and the Shining Wizard.

I too am weak versus the graphics. Sigh. At least I don't have to pay money for it.

DFS.

Ahh fuck am I too stupid to read this correctly or are you saying they pulled the DoA3 moves from this game?

I've always been confused how much of DoA2: ultimate consists of DoA2 or DoA3.

WarPig

Mrbob said:
Ahh fuck am I too stupid to read this correctly or are you saying they pulled the DoA3 moves from this game?

I dunno how much is changed, I haven't played the whole thing. But Tina doesn't have that boss air-throw powerbomb that I used to use with the double-uppercut launcher combo. Pisses me off, the guys at IGN were terrified of that shit. That and the Shining Wizard. I used to fuck a motherfucker up with some Shining Wizard.

DFS.

SyNapSe

I think DOA:U is just a recreation (higher quality boobies) of DOA 1 + 2 w/ online play. So, they probably don't have DOA3 moves. They were making a DOA: Code Cronus or something at one point.. perhaps that was DOA4

WarPig

DOA Code Cronus has I think been like three different games depending on Itagaki's mental state at the time. Currently, though, it's not DOA4 -- DOA4 is just DOA4, gonna be an Xbox 2 game or some shit.

DFS.

Top Bottom