• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Director Feels ‘Tremendous Empathy’ for Asian-American Audiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
Actions over words breh

I know we're JUST getting to a lead black hero, but we need a lead Asian hero yesterday too

Not

Banned
You know the love interest in that movie will be the lightest person around. Since dark skin women are a taboo most of the time.

This shit right here.

Lupita Nyong'o is the most gorgeous woman on the planet and she can only get mo-cap roles.

She ain't in the bubble bath in The Big Short's all I'm saying.

The only saving grace is Benedict Wong is playing Wong. If Wong was also white somehow, I would've been more pissed.

but seriously, there's a shitload of Asian-Americans in the States and I'm sure there are ones who want to act. Give them a chance.

I agree but if they're waiting for Hollywood to cast them in coveted lead roles in big budget films than unfortunately they're still going to be waiting for awhile.

dan2026

I find bowing and scraping to China's disgusting treatment of Tibet disgraceful.

If they had any decency at all they would have kept him from Tibet.

I find bowing and scraping to China's disgusting treatment of Tibet disgraceful.

If they had any decency at all they would have kept him from Tibet.

Decency isn't worth the $250 million they would miss out on.

And again, this place is called Kamar-Taj, which is a place in the Himalayas. They're filming in Nepal. It's got nothing to do with Tibet.

firelogic

What's unbelievable is that they were like, "It's ok, we're not casting a white actor to play an asian character. We just rewrote the asian character to be a white character so us casting a white actor is completely fine ^_^"

And what is this, "things need to change" crap when he's part of a project that's marginalizing asian characters.

And what's with the other stupid excuse of "well if we cast an asian actor to play the asian character, it'd be too on the nose and be disrespectful because of the time they were created in. They'd be caricatures and honestly racist."

So why not drag the character into this century and write it properly? Whitewashing is the solution to not making an asian character racist?

I cannot see that argument being made when we got Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man movies. Given that their priority list had both of them before Black Panther and Doctor Strange, it's safe to say that is not always the case. Heck, even the Inhumans is still in the works. They could easily make a Shang-Chi movie or bring him in for for an Avengers movie or something. Agents of Atlas could work too, though I don't know if they would try for another Guardians scenario again. Amadeus Cho could pop up anywhere really, though admittedly it is more annoying with Hulk's current status.

What bugs me about the reaction is that this is not about a character with the same level of importance as say Danny Rand (who will have his own series and Defenders), it is about a character whose actress is the fifth billed. This is not on the level of racists getting upset about a potential Donald Glover as Spider-Man, it is around the level of Idris Elba as Heimdall (which is still a shame, he could been someone more significant). To be fair to Marvel, they have been more transparent about the issue than most studios about the issue and seem to have struggled with how to bring the character over with offending the least amount of people. Considering how progressive Marvel has been, I think it is a bit shallow to immediately throw out anything they have to say with the pessimism I have seen in this thread and other discussions. I mean this is the company that currently has a black Captain America, a Muslim Ms Marvel, a female Thor, and a soon-to-be black female Iron Man.

I think a big part of the controversy is because this casting isn't occurring in a vacuum. With the recent casting of Death Note, Iron Fist, Ghost In the Shell along with Doctor Strange happening in succession of each other, I think Asian American actors feel even more demoralized that they can't get lead or major roles in asian inspired or licensed properties, yet alone any other major Hollywood production. So this "empathizing" comes across as being empty.

I cannot see that argument being made when we got Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man movies. Given that their priority list had both of them before Black Panther and Doctor Strange, it's safe to say that is not always the case. Heck, even the Inhumans is still in the works. They could easily make a Shang-Chi movie or bring him in for for an Avengers movie or something. Agents of Atlas could work too, though I don't know if they would try for another Guardians scenario again. Amadeus Cho could pop up anywhere really, though admittedly it is more annoying with Hulk's current status.

I clearly explained Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ant-Man only happened because Edgar Wright had the film in development since 2003, back when the property was at Artisan Entertainment. Wright pitched the film to Marvel, not the other way around. It was a labor of love until he left the project due to creative differences.

And Marvel Studios doesn't let any director pitch anything anymore.

Trust me. Every choice Marvel makes serve a direct purpose. Feige has said as much interviews. They have a clear priority list and strategic vision.

And I agree they could easily. The question you should ask yourself is, "Why don't they?"

Speaking of Inhumans, Marvel Studios even prevented Agents of SHIELD from messing with any of the classic Inhumans, since they had a planned film. Drop Inhumans from the the film schedule and... wow! Agents of SHIELD can use those characters now.

Oersted

They couldn't cast an actual Tibetan as the Tibetan character without losing millions of dollars. Blame China for that.

That was made up and isn't true.

I clearly explained Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ant-Man only happened because Edgar Wright had the film in development since 2003, back when the property was at Artisan Entertainment. Wright pitched the film to Marvel, not the other way around. It was a labor of love until he left the project due to creative differences.

And Marvel Studios doesn't let any director pitch anything anymore.

Trust me. Every choice Marvel makes serve a direct purpose. Feige has said as much interviews. They have a clear priority list and strategic vision.

And I agree they could easily. The question you should ask yourself is, "Why don't they?"

Speaking of Inhumans, Marvel Studios even prevented Agents of SHIELD from messing with any of the classic Inhumans, since they had a planned film. Drop Inhumans from the the film schedule and... wow! Agents of SHIELD can use those characters now.

Merchandise. The whiter, the maler, the better. We know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom