• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Quick

Banned
6D9GP4t.png

R1jMwal.png

N9Bjb9R.png

96IQK1C.png

JH4wsmD.png

heeHx2E.png

SoaIoA8.png

w35wC69.png

LSxB0tn.png

spunodi

My title made it! Feel like a proper gaffer now :)

Fantastic OT. Looking forward to next Saturday. Also this Saturday seeing Jennabob Coleman at Blackpool Comic Con :)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
My title made it! Feel like a proper gaffer now :)

Fantastic OT. Looking forward to next Saturday. Also this Saturday seeing Jennabob Coleman at Blackpool Comic Con :)

Your title was inspired, and killed all other ones stone-dead.

You should be proud!

*sigh*
Why does the new series have to start 2 weeks before I fly out to Japan for a month long holiday :(

On the plus side I'll be able to binge watch a whole heap of episodes when I get back :D

Very excited for the new series. Series 8 was a nice jolt that the show needed, and I am loving Capaldi in the role.

However, I am not liking the new outfit for Capaldi. I liked the attack eyebrow magician look.

Fingers cross Clara departs mid season as a shocking twist.

Nothing against her or anything but after the fake out last season I think the best way for her to leave would be sometime in the middle of a season when no one would expect it.

I want to see someone new in there!

Also hey.

Last year when the seasons started it was when my Brother was diagnosed with Cancer and just had the tumour removed and was still in the hospital waiting to find out about his chemo. I remember watching the first episode last season with him in his room on the shitty hospital TV.

The last episode of the season was the weekend after his last chemotherapy treatment so that worked out well.

Dude is going great now BTW but yeah... just a story and how I will probably forever have Capaldi's doctor tied in my mind with one of the most stressful points in my life.

PaulloDEC

Despite some pretty great high points, Season 8 didn't really win me over. Looking forward to seeing how things shape up in Season 9.

I really like Capaldi at least, so that's good.

Tizoc

Uh why is this thread up like a week before release? Did the first ep. get leaked or something?
Either way
Yo Missy you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind
Hey Missy!

hamchan

The Doctor looks like he just got out of bed with the clothes he's wearing in that first pic.
Anyways, hoping that Missy is in more episodes this series than just two. She's too good.

Boem

Great OT!

Looking forward to this. It's gonna be a good one I think.

I hope they'll put the prequel online before the series starts. I know BBC America paid for it, and I know it'll end up on the dvd/blu-ray regardless, but for the sake of completion I'd like to see it before the first episode airs.

Moffat needs to add Missy as a companion and then have a companion reunion so
Nyssa
and
Tegan
can argue over who gets to shiv Missy/Master for
murdering
their
family members
Like Adric visiting Jurassic Park
"well, this is awkward."

I like the new trailer, Paradox, so much less wanky than the UK ones.

Moffat needs to add Missy as a companion and then have a companion reunion so
Nyssa
and
Tegan
can argue over who gets to shiv Missy/Master for
murdering
their
family members
Well, they didn't care 30 years ago, so I'd be surprised they showed any emotion now. :p

Boem

Well, they didn't care 30 years ago, so I'd be surprised they showed any emotion now. :p

Hah, yeah, it was always funny how quickly Doctor Who characters could move on from intense personal losses in the classic series. Sometimes they could be cracking jokes in the Tardis in the very next scene.

Nice OP!
I usually watch on Netflix so just now caught up on Season 8. Not sure if I love the new doctor... There's very much a Dr. House vibe I get off him, not sure if it's intentional or i'm just reading into it since I watched so much House, but I don't really want more of that

Boem

Nice OP!
I usually watch on Netflix so just now caught up on Season 8. Not sure if I love the new doctor... There's very much a Dr. House vibe I get off him, not sure if it's intentional or i'm just reading into it since I watched so much House, but I don't really want more of that

I don't think the current Doctor is based on House so much, but that they are both based on similar archetypes of grumpy, anti-social and highly intelligent 'detectives' (I use that term very loosely here).

In Capaldi's case it goes back to some of the classic Doctors, mostly the very first one as that's the one he grew up with (he stopped watching the show somewhere during Tom Baker's run as drink, drugs and girls called him away, and he came back later on). In some recent interviews Capaldi specifically mentioned that he wanted the show to feel more like the 60s sci-fi vibe of those earlier stories both in the look of the Tardis and in his own look, as opposed to the Victorian timetraveller of later Doctors.

I can totally see why someone wouldn't take to his particular version of the Doctor, but I think it's nice to get this kind of variety. Tennant and Smith were definitely different from each other, but as far as Doctors go they were probably the most alike in characterization. I liked them both, but I wasn't really interested in another young, zany, manic performance. The show is at its best for me when it's surprising me.

As I said before though, although I liked the last season I hope that we'll get more stories that play to Capaldi's strengths this time now that the writers know what they can expect from him.

Boem

Leela's dad. Ice cold.

Ha, I actually watched that story recently! (I'm doing my second Classic series watch, watching Talons of Weng-Chian now - I'll probably take a break after that and continue after the next series ends). She never even gave him a second thought. I don't think he's mentioned at all after he gets killed in the opening scene.

Paskil

Holy crap, I didn't realize the next series is starting so soon. I feel like Capaldi is potentially my favorite Doctor.

Boem

BBC America will air the S9 prequel on Friday September 18th at 10pm. Set your DVRs!

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/doctor-who-series-9-bbc-america-to-air.html

BBC America will also be broadcasting some classic Who stories in the leadup to S9:

September 20 will see two classic Tom Baker adventures on the channel - Genesis of the Daleks and The Seeds of Doom. Also to air in the following week are Terror of the Zygons, Pyramids of Mars and The Hand of Fear.

American Who-fans: Those are some great stories, and some of the most approachable stories for people who have never watched Classic Who before. Genesis is a famous classic that has the introduction of Davros, Seeds of Doom is just a very fun one taking place on then-present earth (my favorite of that list, in fact), Terror of the Zygons is the only classic Zygon story and also a good one - your classic example of an aliens invade earth-story - Pyramids of Mars is another classic all about Egyptian Gods and mummies, and Hand of Fear is Sarah Jane's last regular episode apart from some later cameos.

All stories feature Sarah Jane as the companion (who you know from the Tennant episodes and her own spinoff), and all of them apart from Genesis take place on present day earth. It's a good selection!

I wonder if they just chose those because they're fun stories, or if they all have some connection to what we'll see in the upcoming series.

We know Genesis of the Daleks will have some big links, with Skaro, the Daleks and presumably Davros appearing. Also possibly some direct plot links, according to some rumors.
Seeds of Doom - No idea. The alien menace there is just an alien plant that's misused by a deranged human. Unit is in there, but none of the regulars and they have a fairly small prt.
Terror of the Zygons - Obvious: We're getting another Zygon story this year. Also a big Unit story.
Pyramids of Mars - We had a mummy last season, but that was an entirely different kind of mummy. The return of Sutek?
Hand of Fear - Again, no idea. Maybe Eldrad will be back (Eldrad must, after all, live). I actually posted about this story in the previous thread when I noticed how much Eldrad looks like Vastra - both in look, the way she moves and the way she talks.

We know at least two of them will have some relation to the upcoming series at least.

Top Bottom