• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone out there actually think the DS will last?

snapty00

Banned
Because they could've been "different" all they wanted and still provided decent 3D graphics. The DS doesn't even have 1996-level graphics effects built-in. The fact that it's missing basic hardware effects like mip-mapping is pretty pitiful.

ge-man

snapty00 said:
Because they could've been "different" all they wanted and still provided decent 3D graphics. The DS doesn't even have 1996-level graphics effects built-in. The fact that it's missing basic hardware effects like mip-mapping is pretty pitiful.

And how would you know that? The PSP isn't a good measure about what's reasonable for a 3d portable--nobody knows how much money they are burning to sell it at 200 dollars.

puck1337

snapty00 said:
IAWTP

If they were going to splurge on 802.11 and two screens, they could have done a little bit more with the graphics. Just something to make the image a little less harsh, nothing fancy.

Tellaerin

I think the DS will be moderately successful when all is said and done, but I don't envision it having a long-term future as a Nintendo brand. I imagine the DS being produced and supported for the next 2-3 years or so, until a real successor to the GBA is ready to go to market. When that happens, I suspect that support for the DS will taper off rapidly, and the system will be allowed to quietly die.

jarrod

Banned
Tellaerin said:
I think the DS will be moderately successful when all is said and done, but I don't envision it having a long-term future as a Nintendo brand. I imagine the DS being produced and supported for the next 2-3 years or so, until a real successor to the GBA is ready to go to market. When that happens, I suspect that support for the DS will taper off rapidly, and the system will be allowed to quietly die.
I agree here... I'm expecting probably a 30-40M userbase when it's done with in 2007/8 (making it about as successful as GBC, half as successful as GBA). The hardware actually does remind me of GBC evolution wise though, in that it's directly tied to it's predecessor... the next GB will probably be a GBA style break from the ARM family chips in favor of something from ATi.

One thing DS needs to do better though is securing big name western killer apps. Madden NFL 2005 & Spider-Man 2 are a nice start for support, but they need notable exclusives like they've got in Japan (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Jump Super Stars, Final Fantasy III, etc).

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I think DS and the Game Boy line of products can coexist. When the new Game Boy comes out it will likely be about as powerful as the PSP which means development will be much more expensive than it is for DS. With DS having fairly cheap media I can easily see it as a future budget platform.

I see it lasting about as long as the GBA did.
It'll take a while for the novelty to wear off and for games to seem stale.
Until then there will be no reason to replace the DS with a new GBA.

Top Bottom