• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does ePSXe enhance really enhance psx visuals?

For the most part, not really. It will render the final image at higher resolution, but since textures in PS1 are designed to be rendered at low resolution and there's no way to magically create more source data, this usually doesn't give you any more detail. However there are some games, such as FF9, that for some reason seem to have too much texture detail for the TV and PS1 to do them justice.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Nubbe, WHICH 1.75 pete's driver...I have several. :)

This is what I'm trying to get rid of:
gitsblur.JPG

I want those building textures nice and smooth.

nubbe

Several?
I’m using the OGL/D3D which you can get on the hompage now. I get the same result no matter if I use OpenGL or Direct3D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Here's a few pics with some aggressive filters enabled (which I love...).

I wish I had larger pics available, but these are all I could find that were nice...

a2j_PSOGL2_006.jpg

a2j_PSOGL2_011.jpg

r44.JPG

rr_4.JPG

rt_1.JPG

tb2_1.JPG

wo3_1.JPG

Lyte Edge

Okay, I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but dark, how did you get those games looking like that? Can you post a pic of your config settings and which plug in you are using?

teiresias

I always have problems with ePSXe, so much so that I've just given up using it, and it's not graphic issues I have problems with (I have an overclocked AMD 2500 @2.2Ghz, with 512MB RAM, and a 9500 Pro, on an ABIT NF7-S mobo), it's just getting the damn thing to start.

No matter if I make an image or run from the CD-ROM ePXSe just gives me a black screen most of the time and just hangs up when I start the game up. No sound, no nothing, just a black screen. Other people seem to have that problem too, but I have yet to find a fix for it, and the ePSXe forums don't seem to really have any good solution either. It's very aggrevating because I'm sure I could run most of my games beautifully (I'd like to play FF:Origins, Silent Hill, FF7, and FF9 mainly), but the thing just doesn't seem to like my PC.

Lyte Edge

This is going to take some more messing around. :) If I use Dark's settings, everything's filtered/smooth, but VERY blurry. If I use Nubbe's settings, I get a very sharp and clean image, but textures are just like PSX. It's fun messing with the settings though....some games look better blurry (Ridge Racer Type 4), and others look AWFUL that way (Dino Crisis 2)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Lyte Edge said:
Is there no way to speed up load times.

Can someone answer this? I'd love to be able to play MK Trilogy with no load times!

Malakhov

Banned
Wow, this is making me play FFVII all over again. There's only one thing though, after and right before battles there seems to be an audio slowdown or something, how can I fix this?

And like some already asked, can you have faster load times?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Malakhov said:
Wow, this is making me play FFVII all over again. There's only one thing though, after and right before battles there seems to be an audio slowdown or something, how can I fix this?

Sound pauses are a result of CD access...

If you create an ISO image of your disc first, they will disappear...

SantaC

Malakhov said:

eternal spu audio plugin fixed that for me.

Renegade

Banned
Use Alcahol 120% and the CD drivers that load from CD point to a virtual drive holding a virtual image of a CD and I guarantee load times would be 1 second long if that.

Ferrio

Banned
Malakhov said:

Now I wanna try this out and play FFVII.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is there a way to speed up load times?

jenov4

Holy shit these screenshots look nice. I haven't played with ePSXe in ages, seems like they really improved on this emu. Great stuff!

isamu

neptunes said:
It was just mentioned, make an ISO of the game you want and run it form your HD.

Thanks for the reply neptunes but much faster are load times now that the game is installed on the HD as a ISO?

Thaedolus

Holy crap, I had no idea the PSX emulation scene went so far. Maybe now I'll start my long-delayed plans to actually finish FFIX

isamu

neptunes said:
yes, ePSXe can read you ps .iso (given that you have the legit version)

Yes, I know that can read isos, but my question is, is there a significant difference in the load times as opposed to how they take normally? I mean, are load times totally nonexistance once you load it from an iso? Or are they still there albeit decreased somewhat? Describe the difference.

Shouta

THe load time from just using the CD on epsxe is enormous. the load times for Growlanser on a playstation was terrible I hear as opposed to on the pc. It`s absolutely fabulously fast on epsxe (which makes the tons of voice-acting easier to get through). .

Thaedolus

Ok so I've got a question about game saves: can I use a dex drive to load my PSX saves? Because I tried loading an FFVII .gme file from Gamefaqs and it wouldn't work. The memory cards were blank in the in-game menu. If I could transfer my files over from my memory card, I would be very thrilled.

tenchir

Thaedolus said:
Ok so I've got a question about game saves: can I use a dex drive to load my PSX saves? Because I tried loading an FFVII .gme file from Gamefaqs and it wouldn't work. The memory cards were blank in the in-game menu. If I could transfer my files over from my memory card, I would be very thrilled.

Try using memory card tools that lets you convert formats. You can find them at emulation site such as zohar and ngemu.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
psd3d021.jpg

psd3d012.jpg

psd3d014.jpg

psd3d008.jpg

I took these over a year ago. A lot of games look great with some added filtering. There is still some texture warping though...

Takuan

I've never liked how rendered backgrounds looked on a monitor, but that FFVII shot is ICY HOT. I'm such a sucker for clean textures. This makes me want a PSOne + LCD combo even more because old games look stunning on it.

Thaedolus

tenchir said:
Try using memory card tools that lets you convert formats. You can find them at emulation site such as zohar and ngemu.

Thanks, that's eventually what I tried, but the problem was FireFox saving them as blank files for some reason. I downloaded them again with IE and they worked fine as gme files

isamu

Shouta said:
THe load time from just using the CD on epsxe is enormous. the load times for Growlanser on a playstation was terrible I hear as opposed to on the pc. It`s absolutely fabulously fast on epsxe (which makes the tons of voice-acting easier to get through). .

Shouta...so you're saying the loading is instant on all games as long as they're off the HD in iso format?

Shouta

It`s not absolutely instant but it`s significantly faster than if you did it on a Playstation. I was referring to the CD reading in epsxe. I believe the loading for iso format games are faster from the CD on epsxe.

Top Bottom