• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it matter when voice actors don't match the characters they play?

Jobbs

Banned
I consider it a fun little discovery when the actor looks similar to the character, which is more and more common in AAA games, but ultimately I don't give a fuck.

ppor

If taken to the logical extreme, this would probably hurt black VAs more than help them. Game roles are still mostly white.

I appreciate the replies (barring the ones lacking the nuance between human representation vs. inanimate representation lol). Then, I wonder what the motivation for Hutchinson's comment is then, as well as Narcisse's point in regards to Aveline. I.e. this quote:

Why is it important or significant in this particular case for Hutchinson if the identity of voice actors don't matter? Is it because we are dealing with a "historical" game? I'm just trying to understand and think if there are any nuances to the question.

Lime, I think you answered your own question (historical and touchy subject)

The voice actor for Connor did a terrible job. His part Native American heritage did nothing to convey emotion in most of his lines, so that was a really bad decision on UBIs part.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Other than extreme examples like a white person playing a super stereotypical black character (or character of any race that has been mocked in that way in the past) it's hard for me to see any issues with voice actors playing roles that vary demographically from themselves.

I mean, if only white people were hired all the time to play minorities, that would be a problem, but again that's an extreme hypothetical.

nynt9

Troy Baker can pull off anything from Pagan Min to the Joker to Joel, so no.

The dude who voices the narrator in Bastion also looks nothing like I'd imagined.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Uh no, it doesn't matter if the actor is a match unless of course they're playing a very specific role. That's also the point of voice acting and motion capture, you don't have to look like the character. It's more complicated if you're doing facial capture though.

The voice actor for Connor did a terrible job. His part Native American heritage did nothing to convey emotion in most of his lines, so that was a really bad decision on UBIs part.
He was supposed to be speaking a second language. Try speaking a second language when expressing anger, it's quite difficult.

So if an actor is going to play a talking lion they should find someone that looks like a lion now?
Even better

jCLR2MS.gif

He was supposed to be speaking a second language. Try speaking a second language when expressing anger, it's quite difficult.
Do you mean the character was supposed to speak emotion-less English because it was his 2nd language? English is my 2nd language and I disagree with the sentiment.

Astral Dog

Oh, i thought this would be about the voices at first.
In the end thats the most important thing, maybe they should have found a different voice actor that fits more, but, its Ubisoft what we are talking about.

Top Bottom