• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Dragon Kong?

tumblr_mcbvoxT1hr1qe6upwo1_500.png

Neiteio

The default difficulty level gets about challenging as you can reasonably expect a platformer to get without becoming frustrating, and there's an unlockable mode that dramatically ups the ante difficulty-wise. If you want a stiff but fair challenge, you've come to the right game. And there's that unlockable mode I mentioned if you really want to push yourself to the limit and possibly throw your 3DS against the wall a few times.
Is that the one-hit-kill mirror mode? Also, you described the controls a bit earlier; do you know which button (or buttons) jump on the 3DS version? I know you said Y runs and L/R rolls/blows/grabs.

Is that the one-hit-kill mirror mode? Also, you described the controls a bit earlier; do you know which button (or buttons) jump on the 3DS version? I know you said Y runs and L/R rolls/blows/grabs.

Yeah. Shit gets insane (Jagged Jewels omg).

Circle pad config is Y to waggle, B to jump, and shoulders to grab. Dpad config is Y to run and grab, B to jump, and shoulders to waggle.

Neiteio

Yeah. Shit gets insane (Jagged Jewels omg).

Circle pad config is Y to waggle and B to jump. Dpad config is Y to run, B to jump, and shoulders to waggle.
Nice, I think I'll be rocking the D-Pad scheme on my XL. Shoulder buttons for waggle is seriously awesome. :)

I must say, it'll also be nice to play this game on a screen for which it's optimized. The Wii version, being a sub-HD title, never quite looked right on an HDTV. This 3DS version, on the other hand, is custom-made for the 3DS screen.

Looking forward to revisiting my favorite level, Longshot Launch!

Nice, I think I'll be rocking the D-Pad scheme on my XL. Shoulder buttons for waggle is seriously awesome. :)

I must say, it'll also be nice to play this game on a screen for which it's optimized. The Wii version, being a sub-HD title, never quite looked right on an HDTV. This 3DS version, on the other hand, is custom-made for the 3DS screen.

I omitted the grab functions on my post. They're edited in.

And Longshot Launch is fucking awesome. Definitely going to crank the 3D all the way up for the launches in particular.

Actually, the whole Forest is fucking awesome (Flutter Flyaway <3). And the Factory. And the rest of the game.

Damn it I'm fanboying so hard.

Finally, a non-jaggified version of the game?

Neiteio

I omitted the grab functions on my post. They're edited in.

And Longshot Launch is fucking awesome. Definitely going to crank the 3D all the way up for the launches in particular.

Actually, the whole Forest is fucking awesome (Flutter Flyaway <3). And the Factory. And the rest of the game.

Damn it I'm fanboying so hard.
I'm right there with ya! Forest and Factory were my favorite worlds, as well. But they're all awesome. I'm itching to play the mining world again now. That boss battle with the mole train. <3

Velcro Fly

Got this for $28 from Newegg. Probably won't get it until Tuesday because of Memorial Day though. Never played the Wii version so this will be all new for me. Thinking I'll try the first time on New Mode and a second playthrough in Normal Mode. Really love DKC on the SNES so I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. Also love 2D platformers so hopefully this one will be great. Loving the positive reception it's been getting from reviews too. Was hoping it wouldn't turn into a Rayman Origins sort of thing and so far it hasn't!

Neiteio

Got this for $28 from Newegg. Probably won't get it until Tuesday because of Memorial Day though. Never played the Wii version so this will be all new for me. Thinking I'll try the first time on New Mode and a second playthrough in Normal Mode. Really love DKC on the SNES so I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. Also love 2D platformers so hopefully this one will be great. Loving the positive reception it's been getting from reviews too. Was hoping it wouldn't turn into a Rayman Origins sort of thing and so far it hasn't!
Oh MAN. You are in for a TREAT and you have no idea. :)

I'm right there with ya! Forest and Factory were my favorite worlds, as well. But they're all awesome. I'm itching to play the mining world again now. That boss battle with the mole train. <3

Bombs Away is so good. The music crescendo at the rolling piece of track helped to jumpstart my love of synchronized music in games. Wish more games did that...

Teknoman

I still need to finish the Wii version...

Either way, you guys are in for a treat if its your first time. Soundtrack is great stuff, Metroid Prime vibes in some areas too.

Velcro Fly

Oh MAN. You are in for a TREAT and you have no idea. :)

I watched a Let's Play of the game because I've never owned a Wii and never thought I'd get to play it so some of the gameplay things are known to me but I honestly don't remember much. But I'm still super pumped to play the game for the first time.

Currently reading some reviews to get hyped.

Neiteio

Bombs Away is so good. The music crescendo at the rolling piece of track helped to jumpstart my love of synchronized music in games. Wish more games did that...
Something that killed me a million times -- but I absolutely loved it -- was how in the one mine cart level with the falling ceiling, not only did you have to jump and duck, but you had to jump the right degree. Push too hard, and you'd jump too high, right into the jagged crystals; push too lightly, and you won't make the jump. And you have all of a split-second to make the right choice.

Kazerei

Banned
Hnnngh. I loved the Wii version, and I'm interested in the new content in the 3DS version. But I have too many games to play already D:

Yuripaw

Banned
Got my copy preordered and paid off. I played the Wii version but never finished it because the waggle really did just drive me crazy whenever I tried playing it. The controls just did not feel comfortable because of that. I'm hoping I'll enjoy playing this on 3DS with some better controls finally, because the game seemed great otherwise.

Katzii

Friday? That's kinda a weird day for a release. I missed out on the original version since I dun got a revolution, but all the better since people spoke woeful tales of its forced waggle! Got a backlog of 3DS games but still gonna give this a go once I get it!

Friday's a common day for release in Europe!

Does anyone know in MB/GB how much this will take up on an SD card? I know how many blocks it is but that's not too helpful for me!

Will definitely buy the portable version of one of the best platformers ever made.

30 FPS sounds disappointing, but the Destructoid review eased a bit of concern there, plus I'm great with 30 FPS anyway.

Hale-XF11

Never played the Wii version, so I'll probably get this game at some point. It's nice to hear that the extra levels are worth playing. Seems like a pretty good sized game too.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahaha love the reference. I'm so pumped for this!

Skilletor

Yep. No game is worth playing at 30 fps when a 60 fps version of the game already exists.

For some of us, playing a game on the go outweighs being tied to a console. It's definitely a YMMV scenario. I have a PC capable of running this through emulator, but I would never finish the game that way. Being able to pick it up and leave off whenever I want for a platformer than superior performance, but being tied to my console or PC.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ooooh, so tempted to double dip on this. One of my favourite platformers from this gen

Rich!

Yep. I'm buying this, mostly so I can get my free game from Nintendo!

I've already got Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem, so this is the 3rd game I need so I can redeem my free download. I'm thinking I'll probably choose Monster Hunter.

watershed

Banned
I'm gonna buy this day one even though I played the Wii version and have a huge 3ds backlog. I'm just a sucker for good games!

Jacobbles

Almost got to grab this today - a local store broke the street date yesterday, but they were already sold out by the time I got there this morning :(

Loved the Wii version, can't wait to play this one.

Hobohodo

I know the frame rate is down to 30FPS, but is it a steady 30? I remember some previews saying it was a bit choppy.

Return of the Return, I will return as well with a new dosage of hype!

NchwSzz.gif

Can I roll with buttons anymore?
Of course you can
Well I couldn't before!

Xeno_V

I played the game once when it was released back in 2010 and loved it - my only complaint was the obvious waggle issue.
I played the 3DS version and although waggling was replaced with pressing a button it still felt so much inferior compared to the Wii version. The 30fps thing is killing the whole experience, I am missing the original game so much already. It's kinda fun for someone who is going to play the game for the first time, but if you have already played the original version I don't thing that there's a single reason to also get this version.

Oxx

Looks like I'll manage to get the three games required for the NOE free game promotion. Either this, AC, or Luigi as a free download. I'm gonna need a new sd card.

Neo Child

Banned
good thing SD cards are like $5 for all the store youll ever need on a 3ds

i reccomend this game. havent played the 3ds version but the wii was my favourite 2d platformer... possibly ever? the level design and everything was just SO MUCH FUN!

they should port kirbys epic yarn to 3ds, that game is also a terrific wii platformer (opposite scale of this though on difficulty terms). kirby is very easy, but the fun is in the sheer joy of playing, specially multiplayer where as dragon kong is backwards-ass-fuck difficult sometimes.

Sydle

I couldn't get into the Wii version because of the controls, but I so very much wanted to like it.

With Animal Crossing coming soon and this it seems like a good time to pick up a 3DS.

Top Bottom