• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Courage

That Destructoid review

33547970.gif

The Hermit

lol @ dragon kong.

Anyway, I am on the fence: DKCR is my fav DKC ever, but I played it a lot on the Wii, despite not even unlocking mirror mode.

Also, my backlog ( and monster hunter) is killing me :(

Have a high-res, perfect quality shot of the box from the Press Site:

It was a .tiff file originally, I can upload that if you'd like? It's double the file size.

And my mind was just blown:

The leaves in the top-left corner are in-game, they're low poly and don't match up with the rest of the trees, this was not on the Wii box. WOW.

GAMERG0D

It was a .tiff file originally, I can upload that if you'd like? It's double the file size.

The leaves in the top-left corner are in-game, they're low poly and don't match up with the rest of the trees, this was not on the Wii box. WOW.
lol What's with the rhino's face?

Murrah

Banned
Kinda sorta surprised at the reviews this is getting, but I guess I shouldn't be with how amazing the base game is. Glad I didn't cancel my newegg preorder despite getting 200% on the Wii version

Katsuragi

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new levels Monster Games did! This project was probably a test for them and it wouldn't surprise me if they were already working on Donkey Kong Country Returns Again for 3DS.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I skipped the Wii version, so it looks like I'll definitely be grabbing this sucker. I haven't played a Donkey Kong game since the original DKC. Going in like a virgin again.

VanWinkle

I may have to end up getting this when I get an XL model. I just don't even really want to play my OG 3DS lol. I've made my mind to get an XL though sometime before the end of the year and I'll get this. I have it on Wii, but I never played past the second world for some reason so I might as well wait to play it on here.

I wish Nintendo released their games on a Tuesday in the states like everyone else. When did they start doing Friday releases? Sunday seems to be their usual release day.

Really looking forward to this though, never quite 100% the wii version so I certainly plan on doing so this time. Shame you need two cards for coop though.

Anybody getting this as part of the EU So Many Games promotion? Would be good if you could let us know when you get your code; I'm worried that we'll be waiting around personally.

Chuckpebble

On EGM - easy mode is fine but adding things for people who like more challenge AS WELL would have been decent.

I don't know what more they could add though, above the unlocks you already get. Maybe platinum speed run times? I mean
mirror mode is already as hard as it can be with only 1 heart and no Diddy
, what more can they do, just go bonkers with more enemies? I feel like it'd ruin the super precise enemy placement / flow.

Also, double dippin. Just wish you could save transfer. Made so much progress.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't know what more they could add though, above the unlocks you already get. Maybe platinum speed run times? I mean
mirror mode is already as hard as it can be with only 1 heart and no Diddy
, what more can they do, just go bonkers with more enemies? I feel like it'd ruin the super precise enemy placement / flow.

Also, double dippin. Just wish you could save transfer. Made so much progress.

True it can be harder to make things more difficult with 2D platformers..sort of all designed an all already. Speed run times/ghosts do sound liike a decent addition (if the original doesn't have it, not played it). Hell, it seems RO basically copied this game anyway so why not :p

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Bah I'm almost definitely gonna buy this and now I feel dumb for not taking advantage of the newegg coupon a month or so back.

Why would you bother with TIFF when PNG is lossless and smaller?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So I take it that rumor being spread on here about "bad controls" was completely false?

andymcc

Banned
i'm not really a fan of Dragon Kong Country returns on Wii due to Motion Controls. that being said, i hate the rest of the DKC games and thought this was way better than all of the others.

i think without the motion controls, i could enjoy this game. maybe i'll pick this up.

friz898

I've never played Donkey Kong Country since the first one (a ton) for SNES, and I played the second one for about an hour on an emulator on my PSP but it ran so slow, I couldnt enjoy it.

Anyway, how much like those is this? I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick it up this week, but I never played it on Wii.

You know, hate is a pretty strong word, andymcc...
Completely justified in dkc's case.
I've never played Donkey Kong Country since the first one (a ton) for SNES, and I played the second one for about an hour on an emulator on my PSP but it ran so slow, I couldnt enjoy it.

Anyway, how much like those is this? I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick it up this week, but I never played it on Wii.
Haven't played the 3DS version but DKCR was a massive leap in quality over the original trilogy.

is this a legit thing or is this a joke about luigi's mansion?
http://www.gamespot.com/donkey-kong...onkey-kong-country-returns-3d-review-6408483/

Read for yourself. I like how all of the complaints he has were present in the Wii version of the game, which he gave an 8.5/10. Oddly enough, his only complaint back then were the "occasionally clumsy controls", and although they have been fixed, he has given the remake an even lower score. Gamespot legitimately bothers me.

Neo Child

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/donkey-kong...onkey-kong-country-returns-3d-review-6408483/

Read for yourself. I like how all of the complaints he has were present in the Wii version of the game, which he gave an 8.5/10. Oddly enough, his only complaint back then were the "occasionally clumsy controls", and although they have been fixed, he has given the remake an even lower score. Gamespot legitimately bothers me.

scores really dont mean much in reviews.

i mean take pokemon gold/silver. the original almost everywhere got a higher score than the remakes even though it really makes no sense that way.

hatchx

Banned

Gamespot clearly has a bias against Nintendo. They are usually the outlier on the negative side of things when it comes to Wii, WiiU, or 3DS reviews.

I must recommend this game to anyone who missed it on Wii. It's an excellent game.

friz898

Completely justified in dkc's case.

Haven't played the 3DS version but DKCR was a massive leap in quality over the original trilogy.

Thanks! I'm excited.

I'm the kind of guy who always takes the easy difficulty on games. Yah, don't tase me. That being said, this is a platformer...I'm not looking to burn through the game in 5 hours like I did all the 3DS Marios... so I'll probably stick to normal mode.

Top Bottom