• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Without spoiling anything, is it worth going through all the K levels? Is whatever you get out of it a good payoff?

You get the amazing feeling of beating the k levels. It's crazy.

Alright guys, I finally hit a wall with this game. I've complete everything through island 3 EXCEPT for a puzzle piece in
Rickety Rafters
. I spent two hours looking for it. I decided it is just time to move on for now (I'm against using Squaks (Sqwaks?))

Anyway I've come to the conclusion that Cranky is the best and most fun partner to use. Dat cane bounce. Simply amazing and I find myself bouncing around almost constantly. The height really helps out and it's fun to use in conjunction with the roll jump. I think I like island 2 the best so far, but 3 had some EXCELLENT levels. Besides the one everyone gushes over,
Frantic Fields and Scorch'n'Torch
were absolutely sublime, the latter has perhaps the best music in the series I've heard up to this point. I also highly enjoyed
Bramble Scramble with the whole level basically trying to eat you
. I loved the theme of the K level too.

I'm trying to take my time with this game but the urge to play is mightier than my resistance to it. Maybe one more world tonight!

Oidisco

Yea I've come to the conclusion that using the D-Pad and having a Run Button is so much better for me in this. Analog Stick is just too weird for 2D platformers!

Anyways, so far this game is amazing. Wing Ding and Busted Bayou man!

Amazing game... then they hit you with the water levels. Now its terrible and I have no desire to play it anymore.

I was pretty down on the water levels until I figured out that pressing jump with have DK do a breast stroke that gives a shorter, more-controllable burst of speed than the corkscrew offers. Also, when you want to change directions, don't try to spin DK around to the desired direction. Just quickly let off the stick then jam it in the direction you want to go and DK will reorient himself. Corkscrews can also be "cancelled" by pressing the stick in the opposite direction.

hope that helps

I was trying to play the water levels like Rayman, but he doesn't move like him despite appearances, all slithering through tight spaces quickly and such. You pull back the stick for quick stops and 180s, and you gotta mash jump for normal swimming instead of slightly out of control bursts of attacks.

I was trying to play the water levels like Rayman, but he doesn't move like him despite appearances, all slithering through tight spaces quickly and such. You pull back the stick for quick stops and 180s, and you gotta mash jump for normal swimming instead of slightly out of control bursts of attacks.

I made it to Amiss Abyss without knowing any of this and got fucking wrecked. Was almost ready to say the swimming levels ruined the game for me. I was flabbergasted when I discovered the breast stroke :l

Gummb

I do not really want to put all my feelings down into writing because I think i'll contort what I'm thinking, but let me just say the following now that I've completed the game.

1. Donkey Kong is the most enjoyable platforming character to control ever, in my opinion. I can see myself going back to TF and Returns for the rest of my life simply to BE DK. This is because of the following: a) the animations when he's walking, galloping, or running; 2) the way he dives into the water; 3) his incredible noises for the different tasks - they are ape grunts and they fit every feeling; 4) it's the way he lands with a thump after a long fall; 5) it's the incredible range of jumping you can accomplish - from short hops to desperate leaps - and when you add in a far-off grab, it REALLY looks desperate. 6) It's because he's a fucking ape and he's running around in beautiful environments.

2. Tropical Freeze has some of the best-executed and inventive level set-pieces I've ever encountered. I say "best-executed" and "inventive" together, because often times developers put their heroes in these ridiculous environments and they end up adding nothing to the experience. TF, instead, has some amazing set-pieces, and then goes the extra mile to redo all the platforms, throw in stage-specific hazards everywhere, and wrap it all up with
a fucking flying cow out of nowhere!
The stages just make sense while still being absurd.

3. Tropical Freeze is missing the more-human elements that connect with players beyond its perfect mechanics, beautiful graphics, amazing sound, and... lord... just about everything else in this game. It's missing the magic of nostalgia, or the intrigue of a better narrative, or the allure of increased incentive through unlockables. TF is, in my opinion, about as perfect as a platformer can get. It did not, however, feed my interests as a human beyond gaming. A) DKC has a rich history, but Retro has decided to leave the past where it is and hardly use any ideas from the original games, leaving my working memory of DKC in the dust. This means, for me, a missed opportunity at connecting with me on a different level through nostalgia that Nintendo usually does so brilliantly.
World 6 has some of my favorite moments because of all the throwbacks to Returns.
B) The narrative included only a beginning and ending (both of which were gorgeous), so there was not any drama or intrigue on that end. Additionally, the enemies (often times humorous in good measure) did not invoke a sense of meaning other than the game's theme. I did not have any empathy for DK or the snowmads or anything. It was just good vs. evil... again. C) The incentive for continued playing is, almost exclusively, the opportunity to play the next level. There were no extra "just-for-fun" stages, or a boss-rush mode, or characters to unlock, or much beyond art and music (which are still kind of cool). I think I would have liked to see more incentive for continued play.

WITH ALL THAT SAID. The game is simply incredible and anyone who passes it up is doing themselves a huge disservice. It's GOTY worthy, OSTOTY (official sound track) worthy, VOTY (visuals of the year?) worthy. It's really good.

Yuterald

Only had a chance to play the first three levels so far. Will play more tonight, but the game will probably take me months to "finish" because of my ridiculous work schedule. Hardcore Returns vet here, got 200% and all Shiny Golds in the original, etc. but it's too early to tell how I feel about the game. Just a little comment about the OST so far...

The music was something I was looking forward to the most in this game, but the first couple tracks aren't doing much for me. I'm really hoping there's some more serious/darker tunes in the pipeline. The tropical/upbeat stuff in the first few levels are nice/good, but not my particular cup of tea, or at least, not the kind of stuff I wanted to hear from Wise. I really want more stuff equivalent to some of my favorites DKC2 tracks (like the lava stage music, a particular swamp track, and that one really amazing honey comb tune, lol!). I'm sure people know what I'm talking about though. Oh, I didn't expect some of those aquatic ambiance tunes to blast me right at the start of the game, so weird. It's neat that the underwater music is dynamic though.

Also, I tried the first stage over and over again to get a Shiny Gold medal, but I can't tell if there is one or not. I feel like the leaderboards show a slightly lustier/shinier Gold icon for the top players, but I can't confirm. Anyone know? I know there's a no damage heart now though.

I actually think they're the strongest set of water levels in the series.

By far, and the swimming can add to traditional levels in unexpected ways. World 1 spoilers:
The last puzzle piece in Trunk Twister. That was an "OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU FUCKING BASTARDS DID IT DIDN'T YOU" moment for me.

Sublime *swoon*

jnWake

Only had a chance to play the first three levels so far. Will play more tonight, but the game will probably take me months to "finish" because of my ridiculous work schedule. Hardcore Returns vet here, got 200% and all Shiny Golds in the original, etc. but it's too early to tell how I feel about the game. Just a little comment about the OST so far...

The music was something I was looking forward to the most in this game, but the first couple tracks aren't doing much for me. I'm really hoping there's some more serious/darker tunes in the pipeline. The tropical/upbeat stuff in the first few levels are nice/good, but not my particular cup of tea, or at least, not the kind of stuff I wanted to hear from Wise. I really want more stuff equivalent to some of my favorites DKC2 tracks (like the lava stage music, a particular swamp track, and that one really amazing honey comb tune, lol!). I'm sure people know what I'm talking about though. Oh, I didn't expect some of those aquatic ambiance tunes to blast me right at the start of the game, so weird. It's neat that the underwater music is dynamic though.

Also, I tried the first stage over and over again to get a Shiny Gold medal, but I can't tell if there is one or not. I feel like the leaderboards show a slightly lustier/shinier Gold icon for the top players, but I can't confirm. Anyone know? I know there's a no damage heart now though.

Yes, there is shiny gold. I think you get it with less than 1:40.00.

Linkhero1

The game is great. It's very challenging and it shows how much I suck at platformers. It took me about two hours to finish World 1...The K level killed me and I struggled throughout the entire level. Eventually, I was able to nail down the timing and finish the stage with all the puzzle pieces. One thing I noticed was that I played very sloppy in the beginning. I was so used to using the "Y" button to hold on to ropes or barrels in the original game that it was habitual for me to do it in this game. After playing the K level, my style of play changed. So far I'm loving the game a lot and it's a huge improvement over DKCR.

C) The incentive for continued playing is, almost exclusively, the opportunity to play the next level. There were no extra "just-for-fun" stages, or a boss-rush mode, or characters to unlock, or much beyond art and music (which are still kind of cool). I think I would have liked to see more incentive for continued play.

There are 3 secret levels after beating the game. You must beat all the temple levels (K levels) first though. In addition that, if you beat those three levels, you unlock hard mode, which gives you no partner characters, one heart, and no checkpoints. And then there are the time attacks.

Yuterald

Yes, there is shiny gold. I think you get it with less than 1:40.00.

Ah, I see. Fart, I'm so close too on the first stage then. At the rate I play games these days, I'll have 'em all in a year. Ain't got time/willpower to powerhouse shit like this anymore. Good luck/enjoy to those who get them all first. It was fun to be one of the first guys to do it back on the original, but those days are long gone. I've noticed some buddies make it (easier?) to get through the stages so I wonder if you're supposed to experiment with each partner to find the best time/route. Seems like a lot of top players use Cranky on the first stage. Will be interesting to see if people get Shiny/top scores with a solo Donkey Kong. Also, there's a Hard mode, right? Is that accessed by starting a new game or is it something you can apply to your current save? Will that have its own Time Attack leaderboard and such? Can you imagine Shiny Golds on Hard with No Damage Heart clears? =/

Gummb

There are 3 secret levels after beating the game. You must beat all the temple levels (K levels) first though. In addition that, if you beat those three levels, you unlock hard mode, which gives you no partner characters, one heart, and no checkpoints. And then there are the time attacks.

Yeah, I'm close to getting to all of that and I'm excited for it, but I think that it still fits into my point.

There is a balance to all of this, I think. Rayman Legends threw extra characters, costumes, and wacky stuff at you all the time for beating levels and getting lumms (or whatever). It was to the point of almost being pointless, though, as some were such low quality that it didn't matter at all. However, DK takes the opposite route of providing almost everything from the start and not tapping into an individual's desire to "win" and get something for it.

I just wanted to share this feel with you guys.

Because we all know this feel.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01morzg.jpg

Haha great screenshot. I kept marvelling at how dynamic everything is in that level, and before I knew it, I would run straight into that block.

jnWake

Ah, I see. Fart, I'm so close too on the first stage then. At the rate I play games these days, I'll have 'em all in a year. Ain't got time/willpower to powerhouse shit like this anymore. Good luck/enjoy to those who get them all first. It was fun to be one of the first guys to do it back on the original, but those days are long gone. I've noticed some buddies make it (easier?) to get through the stages so I wonder if you're supposed to experiment with each partner to find the best time/route. Seems like a lot of top players use Cranky on the first stage. Will be interesting to see if people get Shiny/top scores with a solo Donkey Kong. Also, there's a Hard mode, right? Is that accessed by starting a new game or is it something you can apply to your current save? Will that have its own Time Attack leaderboard and such? Can you imagine Shiny Golds on Hard with No Damage Heart clears? =/
Cranky is useful on 1-1 because if you land a rolling jump with the cane, you get a fast high jump that makes a few parts of the stage easier. There are good records with all characters though, it just depends on the stage.

Conezays

Just checking in. Near the end of World 5 now. Been playing the whole game co-op with a friend. It's an absolute blast to play with a friend. Tons of hilarious and frustrating moments. We weren't huge fans of the water worlds, but still lots of cool stuff going on.

Gummb

Just checking in. Near the end of World 5 now. Been playing the whole game co-op with a friend. It's an absolute blast to play with a friend. Tons of hilarious and frustrating moments. We weren't huge fans of the water worlds, but still lots of cool stuff going on.

Consider yourself checked.

I'm excited for any writeup you have time for on the co-op.

kizmah

Got it today, played about two hours, LOVING IT! I never played DKCR so Retro's take on DK feels very fresh to me. Controlling the heavy DK takes a little time to get used to but once it clicks the controls are surely not to blame for my shortcomings. Also, the game is quite gorgeous.

Conezays

Consider yourself checked.

I'm excited for any writeup you have time for on the co-op.

I think it's definitely very comparable to the original in terms of enjoyment/frustration via co-op. My friend isn't the best at these kinds of games whereas platformers are my sort of bread n' butter. For really tough sections he usually (as Diddy) just hops on my back, and allows me to use the rocket boosters. You go through a LOT of lives in co-op. I still think any frustration incurred from playing co-op is bested by its enjoyment playing with a friend.

I think that they're among the best water levels in any platformer, except maybe rayman.

I'll agree. I think Rayman 'feels' better while swimming, but probably because he's a limbless person thing and not an orangutang. And the atmosphere in that whole world was stellar. OST speaks for itself too, in that world. By comparison, I found the next world rather...not boring but just not as exciting.

I'm almost done with World 5, now. I'm kind of rushing through it, I think because I haven't touched any of the secret levels save for one in World 1 and one in World 5. I'm stoked to go back and get all the collectables, and get all the other awesome stuff.

That is, if I don't go back and replay Busted Bayou again for the 20th time. Actually, I think I'll just go do that.

Added myself to the leaderboard list thing from the OP. No idea if I'll even attempt time trials...but I'd love to give it a shot.

I'm dying to play this :( .. but unfortunately, no Wii U yet...it's probably gonna be the first game I pick up, when I buy one. For the moment, I've been enjoying (greatly) David Wise's and Kenji Yamamoto's work on the soundtrack, which is simply fantastic...I didn't think a DKC soundtrack could rival DKC2's, but this one does!

At this point while it'd normally depend on my mood if I'd prefer DKCR or DKC2, without beating the game yet I'm pretty confident this is the best game in the series.

You would think but this hasn't been the case for me.

I just got done beating it and I am left here knowing that the controls were more of an obstacle for me than the level design.

One of the key things people may not realize is that when you use any d-pad. you don't run by default. You have to be holding the button, which people may not do. When you use analog stick, a full left or right input is run speed. Because of this distinct difference, I really think it's best to use analog, even if it takes getting used to. I thought DK was clunky at first (back in DKCR), and it turned out this was my problem.

Yuterald

Cranky is useful on 1-1 because if you land a rolling jump with the cane, you get a fast high jump that makes a few parts of the stage easier. There are good records with all characters though, it just depends on the stage.

Yeah, just got my first Shiny on 1-1. I still got it in me! I'll try to do 1 Shiny per week, lol! It'll probably be easier/more common for people to get Shiny Golds this time since you can just watch/study uploaded videos and emulate other players on the spot. I like/dislike the fact that the videos are so easily accessible. I'm sure tons of people will just resort to a video for tips/shortcuts instead of putting the time/learning the intricacies of the stage on their own, but hey, that's just modern day gaming for ya. Streams/YouTube is so commonplace now, I keep forgetting how different things are today. =/

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
*self indulgent impressions*
9/10
Mmm hmm, great I've got to follow this and I had the game first!
Yeah to a degree I get what you mean by that familiar feeling, its something that sequels can struggle to shake and I think its much more apparent if the original was actually damn good in the first place which in the case of DKCR I'd absolutely say so.

By comparison DKC2 has a much easier time looking better than the noticeably flawed DKC1 with quite a few gameplay reasons backing it up beyond presentation, Tropical Freeze next to Returns is more like the fan service follow up, now with Wise, more Kongs and spiffier visuals, it's not got the same gameplay jump behind it like DKC2 had where the bonus rooms got overhauled, animal buddies became full on level design variety and so on.

As such I think as someone else said a bit earlier that Tropical Freeze's appeal might be one that grows even stronger with age, when looked back upon as being that damn fine sequel outside the here and now window where things feel more immediately familiar. Maybe this doesn't make much sense but it's kind of like how logically speaking looking back on my own tastes this should be my favourite platformer of all time and it kind of is yet its not like I went through the game flipping my shit at every crazy set piece (though there was a lot of grinning) because DKCR had already set the scene to a high standard and I knew what Retro's level design approach tend to entail, so lots of stuff falling apart in style then.

If there was another DKC game from Retro at some point I think they could still slightly improve upon this formula by tackling those two ever present points of non sucky bonus rooms and animal buddies but I get what you mean when you say its been taken as far as it can go before hitting diminishing returns where it would become something like NSMBU which I could prop a case up for being the best NSMB game and possibly the best 2D Mario but you've effectively seen it all before diminishing its overall impact.

I need to write a review up but this game is pretty much 10/10 for me. I can understand JC's thoughts about familiarity but there are a few reasons why it doesn't bother me:

1. Large scale big budget 2D platformers are very uncommon today, so I think it gives each similar release an automatic dose of freshness...if that makes sense

2. It's been almost 3.5 years since Returns was released. I was hungry for more of the same (but better), regardless. If this was an annualized or semi annualized franchise, the lack of huge innovations would probably annoy me.

3. I actually felt like enough new stuff was sprinkled throughout TF to spice up the formula. Swimming alone was a huge gamble but I think it really payed off. Zip lines and the occasional dynamic camera mechanic were rare, but I think it dramatically increased their impact when they did show up. Wing Ding, High Tide Ride and Reckless Ride are all fucking amazing and extremely unique. Secret exits were also fun to find. Maybe it's just me, but you throw in all new level themes, the amazing Snowmads, and arguably the best soundtrack to a game ever (will talk about this later -on my phone now :3) and I think TF feels not just better than Returns, but better in a profound way. It goes far beyond the basic mechanics and design. Gamers slammed Returns for its lackluster presentation do Retro responded by making a game that can arguably get by on its presentation alone, despite having absolute best in class design. WOW

Will post more later, but yeah. Thanks for the Review JC.
They added quite a bit when you think about it, I mean the changes aren't really big so they sort of fall under the radar but it's not like any less added than say Retro's own Metroid Prime 2. The only new change I don't like too much is secret exits, gives me that SMW annoyance where I just want to play my new stages but have to run back through old ones and do one thing different near the end to do so instead of just opening the lock with a brief trip to Cranky's Cabin like in Returns, Puzzle Pieces are secret enough for me here.

And yeah more of the same but better is what I asked for and its what i've got, really I don't have much to complain about.

I do not really want to put all my feelings down into writing because I think i'll contort what I'm thinking, but let me just say the following now that I've completed the game.

1. Donkey Kong is the most enjoyable platforming character to control ever, in my opinion. I can see myself going back to TF and Returns for the rest of my life simply to BE DK. This is because of the following: a) the animations when he's walking, galloping, or running; 2) the way he dives into the water; 3) his incredible noises for the different tasks - they are ape grunts and they fit every feeling; 4) it's the way he lands with a thump after a long fall; 5) it's the incredible range of jumping you can accomplish - from short hops to desperate leaps - and when you add in a far-off grab, it REALLY looks desperate. 6) It's because he's a fucking ape and he's running around in beautiful environments.
This point in particular I'm really on board with, while perhaps EAD's take on DK in Jungle Beat was the most primal gorilla like of them all Retro's hits this great middle ground between heavy ape and satisfying platforming character control which just feels so right.

I actually think they're the strongest set of water levels in the series.
Not too hard a category to win if I'm honest.

DKC1: plain water stages mostly praised for their music, nothing but evasion focused unless you have Enguarde, all are set up in this corridor maze format and Poison Pond in particular is pretty cheap shooting in hazards suddenly from off screen. Croctopus Chase is the only one water stage I'd really rate here.

DKC2: A big jump up from the previous game, the ship hold stages play more with the changing water levels, more varied enemy types and not so rigid design, on top of that Lava Lagoon is a pretty standout water stage in my eyes. Otherwise it's still just okay, I don't trust Enguarde in Arctic Abyss, if there's ever a point in DKC2 where I feel the collision detection dilemma presents itself it's in here.

DKC3: REVERSE THE CONTROLS, FEED THE FISH, TURN ON THE LIGHTS, how about no, Water World is such a great theme but I never want to replay these stages If I can help it. Oddly static stages after DKC2 as well.

As of right now I don't think TF's water stages go beyond Rayman Legends stealthy twist on things but they're still some of the best in the 2D platformer space but that's probably not a hard category to score highly in.

My interest in doing all kinds of side stuff in Assassin's Creed IV has died completely and now I'm rushing to the end because of this game.

Tomorrow...she will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine.

/wayne

I guess I'm one of the few who find the game merely a touch above okay. Graphically, texture level assets are jaggy and muddy, like they were blown up and aliasing is quite apparent on them. The music is the best aspect of the game. Stellar, even!

DK is heavy, yes, but I find both controls of either the Wiimote nunchuck or Gamepad, finicky. Nothing seems perfectly timed because DK is both heavy (jumping on the fly, again after landing a jump is touchy) and his full stop (from a run) is slippery. Swimming also feels imprecise.

I need more time with the game - but so far, it's not as great as I expected. I actually find DKCR 3D controlling better - for whatever reason.

Admittedly, I haven't tried the Dpad configuration, though I hate the Gamepad Dpad.

I really want to like this game and I love the charm....

Never playing a Donkey Kong Country game before, this is already a total blast for me. The music alone is so good and after bouncing around a few levels, I feel very stable with the controls. This game is just one more reason why I think the Wii U has a place in this generation of gaming.

The only thing I don't like is how my loading screen stutters when donkey Kong runs across. The game runs so smoothly during gameplay that I hate seeing it freeze at any point. Ha Ha.

Top Bottom