• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

kizmah

My interest in doing all kinds of side stuff in Assassin's Creed IV has died completely and now I'm rushing to the end because of this game

I found myself in the same predicament. I am near the end of the story part in ACIV but I have just been enjoying myself too much with all the side stuff. But 40 hours in, I had to take a break. I just couldn't resist expanding dong day one.

pooh4.jpg

yeah good stuff I was totally listening

but seriously, I can't deny its an excellent game, and I'd be absolutely shocked(and delighted!) if its not in my top 3 for 2014 when the time comes. Its one of the greatest 2D platformers of all-time...its just that building on Returns' already illustrious foundations, it damn well better be. Is that pretty entitled? I think I'm gonna feel the same way about Bayonetta 2 when that comes out. Oh yes, the controls are like action game sex, hmm another big crazy cool set piece, yep yep this J-pop song is strangely awesome, etc. But they can't help but feel like the world's greatest fanmod, because the original was so good, and now they're just going down the checklist making sure all of its exactly the same with some shinier textures here or lets just add two hearts to these rocket levels most people think are the worst stages in the game(they still are).

You're right, its harder to impress when the predecessor does so many of the same things and possess a similar level of quality. The jump from DKC1 to DKC2 or Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, it makes the original feel like a trial run for ideas to get further polished and improved in the REAL version. There's a big gap between those games, with Returns-to-TF is quite a bit smaller, despite its various improvements and enhancements. Its got the best water levels, its got the strongest set of boss overall(although I still prefer the K.Rool duels of DKC2 if I'm just talking favorite single encounter), looks great, sounds great, plays great...just didn't 10/10 knock me on my ass instant GOTY-status. There are MANY worse things for a game to be. "Meh, it was just as great as you expected the sequel to be, 9/10"

Linkhero1

You're using the default analogue controls for a 2D platformer, aren't you?

Switch to the dpad controls, holding vines/running is X/Y. ZL/ZR are ground pound.

I kept it the same way. It took about an hour to get used to. If I weren't used to it I'd have switched it to this setup.

leroidys

This game is REALLY good you guys. I'm feeling it much more than DKCR. I do have to say that I miss shaking the wiimote to groundpound, but am glad that they removed shake to roll. That was awful. I also miss the DKJB inspired blowing, though I know most hated that. The world feels less interactive to me than in Returns for these reasons.

What I love most so far are the boss battles and minecart levels (just made it to world 3.) Some really excellent stuff. The music is also getting really good. I wasn't a fan of the bland upbeat stuff in the first couple levels.

Lijik

Having to hold ZR for grabbing vines is really unintuitive

I know you already switched, but ZL also grabs and I found my brain was able to adjust to that instantly while trying to use ZR just leads to comical mishaps especially in stages like Wing Ding. Its gotta be some weird psychological thing

but seriously, I can't deny its an excellent game, and I'd be absolutely shocked(and delighted!) if its not in my top 3 for 2014 when the time comes. Its one of the greatest 2D platformers of all-time...its just that building on Returns' already illustrious foundations, it damn well better be. Is that pretty entitled? I think I'm gonna feel the same way about Bayonetta 2 when that comes out. Oh yes, the controls are like action game sex, hmm another big crazy cool set piece, yep yep this J-pop song is strangely awesome, etc. But they can't help but feel like the world's greatest fanmod, because the original was so good, and now they're just going down the checklist making sure all of its exactly the same with some shinier textures here or lets just add two hearts to these rocket levels most people think are the worst stages in the game(they still are).

You're right, its harder to impress when the predecessor does so many of the same things and possess a similar level of quality. The jump from DKC1 to DKC2 or Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, it makes the original feel like a trial run for ideas to get further polished and improved in the REAL version. There's a big gap between those games, with Returns-to-TF is quite a bit smaller, despite its various improvements and enhancements. Its got the best water levels, its got the strongest set of boss overall(although I still prefer the K.Rool duels of DKC2 if I'm just talking favorite single encounter), looks great, sounds great, plays great...just didn't 10/10 knock me on my ass instant GOTY-status. There are MANY worse things for a game to be. "Meh, it was just as great as you expected the sequel to be, 9/10"

Man Piglet is kind of a dick.
That is the sequel dilemma right there though I'm now wondering what Super Mario Galaxy 2 did that had me so readily accept it as my new 3D platforming God despite strong similarities to its predecessor, you know outside of just being plain better.

In other news which I will no doubt waffle on about tomorrow, this games soundtrack has me in a vice grip right now, it might not be better than DKC2's soundtrack yet that gap narrows the more themes in TF grow on me even if it doesn't overtake DKC2, this late World 5 stage track (as to not spoil it for those still keeping things under wraps) blends newness and nostalgia together in such a wonderful way.
I need sleep but I can afford just one more listen.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Yeah. It was 1995 when I got donkey kong country as my birthday gift. it was a sunny day on march and I waited my friends to celebrate with me. we played the whole day and I was so very happy. and today I started playing this crazy ass game and I smiled the whole day. I'm 12 again and it feels so good and I know i'll cry when I get to play amiss abyss. that mr. Wise!

this is awesome to hear. Have fun! :)

That is the sequel dilemma right there though I'm now wondering what Super Mario Galaxy 2 did that had me so readily accept it as my new 3D platforming God despite strong similarities to its predecessor, you know outside of just being plain better.

Been thinking the same thing, cuz I gave that a 10 despite being internally developed as SMG1.5. IDK, there's so much new in SMG2 anyway, despite the similarities. I think something about Galaxy's presentation that suppose to bowl you over with the grandeur of its ideas. 3DW is great, but its "smaller", it kinda sneaks up after hours of well-executed variety. No real big moment, just a feeling in the special worlds like, "ya know what, this is a really fuckin' good video game"

In other news which I will no doubt waffle on about tomorrow, this games soundtrack has me in a vice grip right now, it might not be better than DKC2's soundtrack yet that gap narrows the more themes in TF grow on me even if it doesn't overtake DKC2, this late World 5 stage track (as to not spoil it for those still keeping things under wraps) blends newness and nostalgia together in such a wonderful way.
I need sleep but I can afford just one more listen.

39193488.jpg

Something being "plain better" than what was previously thought to be the crowning achievement of the genre seems like good enough grounds to say that it is, indeed, the new king. idk, I try not to over think it :l

I'm almost ready to accept TF's soundtrack as better than DKC2. Not that the individual song quality in TF is necessarily better (though I think its on par), but the soundtrack is just so huge compared to DKC2's, or almost any other platformer's for that matter. Listening to it is like falling into a bottomless well of amazing music. Just when I think I've hit up all my favorites, 2 or 3 more spring to mind. Thus the cycle continues.

Been thinking the same thing, cuz I gave that a 10 despite being internally developed as SMG1.5. IDK, there's so much new in SMG2 anyway, despite the similarities. I think something about Galaxy's presentation that suppose to bowl you over with the grandeur of its ideas. 3DW is great, but its "smaller", it kinda sneaks up after hours of well-executed variety. No real big moment, just a feeling in the special worlds like, "ya know what, this is a really fuckin' good video game"

SMG2 is probably my favorite 3D platformer but I didn't think it brought a ton of new ideas. You had Yoshi, Cloud Mario, and Rock Mario each in a handful of stages, and the hub was streamlined. But everything was just "better" than in SMG, which is why I prefer it.

One of my favorite songs was this weird cavern one, that kinda bounces around intentionally unnerving non-melodies and a nice soothing sound every now and again, mixed with some DKC1 remixes. Did a lot for the off-kilter dark atmosphere of that level.

Astral Dog

Yeah, sometimes i think most of my favorite games were "new" experiences or sequels that changed a lot. (Bayonetta,Wind waker, RE 4, Metroid prime, DMC, Xenoblade, Grand theft auto, Bioshock etc.)

Lijik

SMG2 is probably my favorite 3D platformer but I didn't think it brought a ton of new ideas. You had Yoshi, Cloud Mario, and Rock Mario each in a handful of stages, and the hub was streamlined. But everything was just "better" than in SMG, which is why I prefer it.

I think more than 3D World or TF, SMG2 does a lot of spinning what you know from SMG on its head which helps make the familiar feel fresh. One of the opening levels in SMG2 is the flip-swap galaxy where Mario's spinjump cant be counted on to adjust jumps in a really natural but unique way. I cant think of moments like that in 3D World or what I've played of TF, which while brilliant feel like "just" more levels.

Xtortionist/Owl/anybody, favorite world?
I think it has to be between 3's parade of varied awesomeness and 5's sublime jungle levels. 6 gives them a run for its money though, with the most levels, many of which are very good.

I might be leaning 5, I can't say enough nice things about that world. I was thinking it be a generic jungle or sorts, but it shocked me by being this DKC3 style combination of nature and machinery. Great visuals, lot of clever gimmicks, some awesome tracks...easily the best rocket barrel level between both games.

Xtortionist/Owl/anybody, favorite world?
I think it has to be between 3's parade of varied awesomeness and 5's sublime jungle levels. 6 gives them a run for its money though, with the most levels, many of which are very good.

I might be leaning 5, I can't say enough nice things about that world. I was thinking it be a generic jungle or sorts, but it shocked me by being this DKC3 style combination of nature and machinery. Great visuals, lot of clever gimmicks, some awesome tracks...easily the best rocket barrel level between both games.

Yeah, I think we need to talk about world 5 for a minute.

Pre-release, it was easily the world I was the most skeptical of. Fruit? What the hell can they do with fruit? Turns out, it's pretty much the DKCR Factory of this game, with insane amounts of crazy machinery-themed platforms, though it smartly blends them with more natural obstacles to keep things from getting same-y. The 5-1 and 5-4 underwater (underjuice?) themes are among my favorites in the game. Fuckin' awesome world, very challenging and varied. But fuck you 5-K Platform Problems (best platforming stage name ever btw), fuck you.

However, I think world 6 is my favorite.
Not only does it have the most levels of any world, I think it has some of the best. 6-4 is probably the only weak link here, and that's saying something for a world with 10 non-boss, non-K levels. Seashore War has incredibly intense atmosphere, and dat song man...might be my favorite of them all. Aqueduct Assault is is designed to be so fast paced, and I recall much of it using a more zoomed in camera which I enjoyed - made things feel more intimate. The real kicker of world 6 is the combination punch of 6-5, 6-6, 6-7, and 6-8. Probably my favorite sequence of stages in the game, with 6-8 providing a more satisfying emotional build up to the end than Red Red Rising did in DKCR. As bonus levels go, 6-A and 6-B are very enjoyable and challenging, with neat gimmicks in each. I was afraid they would be two "world representative rejects", but they turned out quite awesome.

It's really tough to pick a favorite but that's what I'm going with right now.

Edit - Sawmill Thrill hard mode down in two tries. I GOT THIS SHIT

World 6 has
a couple big DKC references that I enjoyed, like that treehuts from DKC1 frozen over, or the old robot hands from Returns' factory levels all rusted out. Some of Retro's best choreographed areas, like the dynamite Rube Goldberg esque sequences or that final big barrel cannon sequence in one level that name escapes me. That Rambi level is just enormously satisfying as well, in its straight ahead path of utter destruction.

K' Dash

I can't find, for the life of me, the first secret path in World 2, I swear I've replayed that level like 50 times and nothing, any clues?

We should put a disclaimer about the secret exit not being in the Rambi level. Everybody who has experienced it will be thankful, and if you haven't, you will have save yourself a lot of time jumping into pits and waiting for platforms to sink.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
anyone know where the secret exit to 4-5 is?

I decided to get my headphones out and play gamepad only while not rushing through. I turned the sound effects down to 50 and the enire experience got even better.

10/10

Linkyn

So I basically beat the game about an hour ago. I'm going to clean up tomorrow and possibly next week, depending on how much difficulty I'll have finding the last puzzle pieces. I just thought I'd give some of the time attacks a try, and they definitely have a way of putting you back in your place. I probably won't be able to get past silver on most of them, but it's good to know there's more to do if I ever get the itch for a good challenge.

All in all, I am very satisfied. With high probability of me replaying the game with my siblings when I go home in a month, this was definitely worth the investment.

npa189

I've caught DK fever and im kicking myself for not buying DKC 2 and 3 on Wii virtual console. Where are these games? Why delist them? And if it was a legal issue, fix it. TF is just magical, one of my favorite games of all time already.

By comparison DKC2 has a much easier time looking better than the noticeably flawed DKC1 with quite a few gameplay reasons backing it up beyond presentation, Tropical Freeze next to Returns is more like the fan service follow up, now with Wise, more Kongs and spiffier visuals, it's not got the same gameplay jump behind it like DKC2 had where the bonus rooms got overhauled, animal buddies became full on level design variety and so on.

As such I think as someone else said a bit earlier that Tropical Freeze's appeal might be one that grows even stronger with age, when looked back upon as being that damn fine sequel outside the here and now window where things feel more immediately familiar. Maybe this doesn't make much sense but it's kind of like how logically speaking looking back on my own tastes this should be my favourite platformer of all time and it kind of is yet its not like I went through the game flipping my shit at every crazy set piece (though there was a lot of grinning) because DKCR had already set the scene to a high standard and I knew what Retro's level design approach tend to entail, so lots of stuff falling apart in style then.

I remember being disappointed how samey and partially straight up copied from it's predecessor Paper Mario TTYD was in several major major aspects. But it happens to be the more polished and little shinier version over all, so I always rather replayed that one by hindsight (although the first game is also still excellent). I think one might also rather pick up this title over Returns in the future because it might actually be the slightly better title, so the outside factors that matter now become irrelevant later. Still, right now it's important for even reviewers to let these factors like genre satiety and little innovation (among others which heavily remove the noteworthiness of the title) play into the reception. CoD and other series get major flack for rehashing, so Nintendo must not be excluded.
Also, even though DKC1 was pretty weak and hence DKC2 had an easier job to improve, TF still had potential to do more and since it's a new generation, there's even less of an excuse that the differences are smaller than between DKC1 and 2. Not even improving these shitty bonus rooms is ridiculous. Rayman Legends also did more to shake up the general packaging of the content, not too mention add many extras. TF is built exactly like DKCR without surprises (except forcing you to replay a handful of stages because of second exits) and the only new extra is some crappy capsules. Wiimote controls especially, but even light/dark world mechanics were more profound changes than anything here too.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just finished up World 2. The K levels so far are great, lots of bouncing on enemies, which I love. And I love how long the boss fights are!

Added my name to the spreadsheet finally, too.

I give up. i spent THREE HOURS looking for the final puzzle piece in 3A. I'm not exaggerating. And I even used Sqwaks for the last half hour, something I never did in DKCR. I simply cannot find it. Has anyone got all the pieces in the stage? There's five total...
In order, one in a bonus room, one under a panel that you groundpound and a barrel shoots you into it an back up, one in an upper corner that you use a vine tug to reveal, then the one I can't find, and then one at the very end under some grass
. I'm so depressed. Please help :(. Haha.

Linkhero1

We should put a disclaimer about the secret exit not being in the Rambi level. Everybody who has experienced it will be thankful, and if you haven't, you will have save yourself a lot of time jumping into pits and waiting for platforms to sink.
Is this 2-2? If so....fucking wasted an hour looking for one.

Working through World 6. I am strongly of the opinion that this game is significantly harder than DKCR. In a good way, most of the time!

I like the wooden factory theme they have going on, but I'm gonna be really sad if there aren't any traditional mechanical factories in this game. My favorite part of the DKC series is the contrast between the forest and the steel jungle. Plus I really want more Fear Factory remixes...

I am trying to reach a decision on whether or not I will get enough mileage from this game to warrant purchasing it:

I am hugely a fan of the music, not to mention the level design and aesthetics on display, and my older brother is a fan of the original Donkey Kong Country.

However

I was raised on 3D Mario platforming titles, having played Super Mario 64 starting at the age of 5 or 7, and never leaving that particular series, and never playing 2D platformers much aside from brief play sessions of the original Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I should also state that if given a method of making a game easier to complete (such as the guides present in the recent Mario games), I will refuse them (I say this because I hear that this game has something to that effect).

From what I can gather, this puts me at a massive disadvantage if I get this game. So what do you guys think, should I get the game, or let it pass due to the risk of potentially not playing it enough to justify the (digital) purchase?

On an additional note, the only game I have ever performed 100% completion on is Super Mario 64 (and even then I was essentially finishing my brother's and my save file, though I did replicate the tasks in Super Mario 64 DS [which I was 1 star away from 100%ing]), so I am more than likely going to end up at least finishing the game's story, but getting much farther than that (or collecting much more in any levels) is far, far from guaranteed.

DirtyLarry

Does anyone know if the load times are the same with disc and HDD?
I have been left scratching my head with the load times as I saw the video comparing them a few weeks back and how long they were, and my load times have never been over 15 seconds or so. They are definitely not the 40 seconds or whatever it was that were initially reported. Disk version as well.

Linkhero1

I am trying to reach a decision on whether or not I will get enough mileage from this game to warrant purchasing it:

I am hugely a fan of the music, not to mention the level design and aesthetics on display, and my older brother is a fan of the original Donkey Kong Country.

However

I was raised on 3D Mario platforming titles, having played Super Mario 64 starting at the age of 5 or 7, and never leaving that particular series, and never playing 2D platformers much aside from brief play sessions of the original Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I should also state that if given a method of making a game easier to complete (such as the guides present in the recent Mario games), I will refuse them (I say this because I hear that this game has something to that effect).

From what I can gather, this puts me at a massive disadvantage if I get this game. So what do you guys think, should I get the game, or let it pass due to the risk of potentially not playing it enough to justify the (digital) purchase?
As someone who loves the original series and hated Returns, I would say go for it. This game is levels ahead of Returns. I would even put this above 3D World as the best platformer currently on the Wii U.

MYE

Goddammit I was FORCING myself not to want this. I was doing pretty well till I decided to fucking look at some levels and listen to the AMAZING soundtrack omg!!!
How long is the game? Its short right? Convince me not to buy it right nowwww :(

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

However

there's no reason one wouldn't enjoy a 2D platformer, expecially of this caliber. 2D or 3D doesn't make a difrference when they're all just amazing games. Just keep in mind the DKCR games play VERY differently than Mario

Top Bottom