• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Konga - The PAL experience (region envy)

I don't know about you guys but I picked up the Pal edition of DKonga and it bloody fucking rocks. I've played it for over 4-5 hours now and had to stop cause my hands hurt. I guess its a case of region envy because right now after playing through most of the games on Chimp (monkey is ridiculously easy).. I really want to play the following songs..

BINGO
Pokemon
Kirby
basically the ones not on the PAL disc

The Pal songs are neat/great - but I do believe that is a matter of playing what you're given because ultimately its song choice preference. 99 Red ballons rock as does the swing song; wish there were more songs though - I wonder why they removed some of the songs (from both US / Euro title). I do wish that it had some or the more cheesy shit samba had like Ricky Martin songs

That said, I've cleared pretty much most of the songs on Chimp with the exception of 2 - SSMB theme and some wacky jamaican tune. Urgh. As for Gorilla mode - bought some gorilla mode songs and its fucking hard. FUCKING HARD. This game is going to be a household fav.

plus+

samba has been dethroned
great fun and challenging to beat
great pop tunes
addictive
hilarious when your hands go all over and you feel like a fool
dog barking bongo configuration is great!

minus-

region envy
hand hurts
gorilla mode is fucking hard. :(
jungle jam mode is gay. Who plays this?
hokey N64 level gfx. Donkey Kong on the manual is cel shaded. They should have gone with this look.

Q: What's your preferred choice of holding the kongas - I sit on the floor and whack them.

Q: no one has mentioned the
unlockable minigames
. Which one is the best. It'll take a long and many play to unlock everything so I want to try the best one

Q: besides the unlockable gorilla songs - are there time release songs? I can't believe they don't allow addition songs (not difficulty modes) to be purchased.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Loving it so far.

Minus points from me:

- No earning coins in multiplayer
- No difficulty level select in battle mode.

Me and BuddyChrist83 on this board sent each other US/UK copies respectively, so we have both copies.

The US version is good, I still prefer the UK one, because I know the songs better but the US one is decent. Especially when I basically get another set of bongos out of it - which retail at £24 anyway. The kids' songs are awful, possibly awfully good when you're drunk. I don't know yet.

BuddyC

radioheadrule83 said:
Me and BuddyChrist83 on this board sent each other US/UK copies respectively, so we have both copies.

The US version is good, I still prefer the UK one, because I know the songs better but the US one is decent. Especially when I basically get another set of bongos out of it - which retail at £24 anyway. The kids' songs are awful, possibly awfully good when you're drunk. I don't know yet.
I'm hoping mine arrives today.

el jacko

I've played the US and JPN versions, and I can say without a doubt that the JPN Donkey Konga ver.2 disc is the best version out. It's a shame it has total region lock (can't save with the Freeloader) otherwise I'd totally recommend importing it.

Vlad

TheGreenGiant said:
Q: no one has mentioned the
unlockable minigames
. Which one is the best. It'll take a long and many play to unlock everything so I want to try the best one

Eh, none of them are that great to tell you the truth. In order from best to worst, I'd have to say that they fall somewhere like this:

Juggling: It's pretty responsive, and an interesting concept. There's not a whole lot to it, but it is neat trying to get a pattern down and keeping everything going at once.

The "Bash K. Rool" one: This one's basically a whack-a-mole type of game. There's three holes, and you either hit the left drum, right drum, or clap to hit the left, right, or middle drum. The problem is that there's only one way to play the game, and that's with a time limit, and your target only pops up every few seconds, so there's really not much you can do with it. You've got like a little over a minute to get as many hits as possible, and once you've gotten good at hitting him as soon as you see his crown start to pop up, it'd be pretty easy to max your score out.

The "Vine Climb" one: Easily the worst of the bunch. It's a neat idea, in that you control Donkey Kong, as he climbs up a set of vines as the screen scrolls upwards, collecting fruit and avoiding enemies as you go. It's a neat idea, but the execution is absolutely horrible. The controls have you hitting the left drum to move left, the right drum to move right, tap both drums back and forth to climb up, and hold both drums to slide down. Again, good in theory, but the controls are horribly unresponsive. Nine times out of ten, you can be wailing away on the drums, and DK will do absolutely nothing. I don't know what went wrong here, but I found this particular game to be absolutely unplayable, due to the crap responses of the controls.

Q: besides the unlockable gorilla songs - are there time release songs? I can't believe they don't allow addition songs (not difficulty modes) to be purchased.

Nope, you're never going to unlock any songs other than what you start with. All the game allows you to buy is the drum sound effects (none of the ones I've purchased yet sound any good at all), the cruddy mini-games, and the Gorilla-level songs. I'd personally recommend saving all your money for the gorilla songs, as that's where the most fun in the game can be had. Some of the stuff you have to play in the Gorilla songs is pretty fun once you get the hang of the rythms.

Moe

TheGreenGiant said:
As for Gorilla mode - bought some gorilla mode songs and its fucking hard. FUCKING HARD.
I have 20 songs on gold and the rest on silver - it's not THAT hard :D

Vlad

Moe said:
I have 20 songs on gold and the rest on silver - it's not THAT hard :D

I think a lot of it has to do with any previous rhytmhic experience. I was in my high school's Jazz Band and Orchestra for several years, as well as on of my College's Jazz Bands, not to mention having played the hell out of Frequency and Amplitude. I've been completely breezing through Konga once I had a good feel for recognizing the symbols just by color and not having to think about hitting them, which didn't take long.

I imagine that somebody with no real world musical experience and/or little to no rhythm game experience could have a pretty tough time with the Gorilla songs, though.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I would do a disk swap with a PAL konga player.

it is probably a shit load cheaper than importing =/

anybody interested?

EDIT: Alternatively, where is a good place to import the PAL version to the US?

NWO

I remember when there was so much hate for Donkey Konga when it was first announced. Everyone was pissed.

But I have yet to meet a person that has played the game and doesn't find it fun or isn't going to purchase it. Only if more people tried the game before they judged it.

BuddyC

I love the fact that the EU version has the Whip It Sound Set but not Whip It.

Super Smash Bros. Melee Opening and Rainbow Cruise are insane on Gorilla, sidenote.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
scola said:
I would do a disk swap with a PAL konga player.

it is probably a shit load cheaper than importing =/

anybody interested?

EDIT: Alternatively, where is a good place to import the PAL version to the US?

Actually, I think it's cheaper for me to import the US version from Canada than it is to buy the PAL version on the high street, let alone ship it to the US. :)

That said, anyone who feels they'd prefer the US version over the UK one is delusional. Sure, you get Pokemon and We Will Rock You, but that is as nothing to the UK exclusives.

Top Bottom