• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I got to day 13 on my 3rd try. Then died on day 3 with the girl. I found that Mandrakes make you skip a day or 2. Catch them, cook them then eat them. I found 3 and this got me from day 3 to day 9.

The girl gains some sanity while sitting in a fire. What are other tricks to getting sanity back?

I'm on day 12 right now. I had to quit since I was getting a little tired.

On my last few playthroughs I was discovering all sorts of things, but now I'm barely discovering anything. I haven't gone to any weird places like last time, and couldn't even go to the underground since it was infested with monsters.

Will try to do more exploring tomorrow, or risk death going in the underground.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
On day 16-18. Got the science and alchemy machine. Almost outta food and health but I've been lucky to find those touch stones. Got a few farms going, berry bushes(gonna go fertilize em now) etc. That damn tree guardian hits hard. Loving it so far.

LycanXIII

I got to day 13 on my 3rd try. Then died on day 3 with the girl. I found that Mandrakes make you skip a day or 2. Catch them, cook them then eat them. I found 3 and this got me from day 3 to day 9.

The girl gains some sanity while sitting in a fire. What are other tricks to getting sanity back?

Pick flowers and make a flower crown (whatever they're called) and where it.

Dawg

On a scale of 0-10 with 0 being "not worth the time it takes to DL" and 10 being "DOWNLOAD THIS MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT NOW"...

how would you guys rate it?

Pimpwerx

I like this game. I made it 7 days on my first play, then got killed by some shadow monster. Got revived by the touch stone, and immediately got attacked by boars. Go figure. LOL! I didn't get anything advanced though. Just campfire, torch, pick, axe and grass skirt. Jumping back in now. PEACE.

Lace

On a scale of 0-10 with 0 being "not worth the time it takes to DL" and 10 being "DOWNLOAD THIS MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT NOW"...

It's worth a download. Game plays really good, but if you forced me to put a number on it I would say 8. The only reason being is the feeling of a lack of progression later into the game. Seems like I have no ultimate goal or enemy I'm trying to one day challenge.

AppleMIX

It's worth a download. Game plays really good, but if you forced me to put a number on it I would say 8. The only reason being is the feeling of a lack of progression later into the game. Seems like I have no ultimate goal or enemy I'm trying to one day challenge.

Their is but you need to find a maxwell door to start adventure mode.

Mrbob

wizzbang

Banned
If they've added Don't Starve and DmC can I ask where Brothers is? What am I doing wrong? I just don't 'get' PSN+ - surely the update should include it all, no?

Noogy

Anyone who had played this extensively on PC recommend one version over the other? I'll download it on PSN tonight, though I'm wondering into which I should invest my time.

I've dabbled a lot with the PC version, but never 'seriously' sat down with it.

Pimpwerx

Can you move the science machine?

Good question. I didn't make mine until I built my first fire pit. That way I'd have it by a permanent base. I also like to make my base camps near the water. Preferably at the peak of a triangle. What I mean by that is you have water surrounding about 270 degrees of the camp, which should hopefully make it tougher for enemies to attack. PEACE.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Early on, picking flowers regains sanity. Each one you pick gives an instant 5 sanity boost, and when you have 12 of them you can turn them into a Garland which will slowly regenerate sanity (though, in practice, it'll only slow your gradual sanity loss since it doesn't regen enough to keep up with what you lose during the night).

Prepared food will also restore sanity, along with hunger and usually health. Jerky's the most basic kind; build a drying rack and hang non-monster meat from it, then wait a day or two for it to dry. The resulting jerky will give some sanity back. Drying racks are also useful for mitigating the negative effects of monster meat if you're forced to resort to eating it; if you dry monster meat into monster jerky before consuming it you dramatically decrease the amount of health and sanity you lose for eating it. Useful in a pinch. Crock pot food is great for restoring sanity, but there's a fair bit of knowledge needed to use one effectively.

Dapperness is the final way of regenerating sanity. Stylish clothing gives passive regeneration of it, so stuff like the various vests and hats are good for keeping you out of the looney bin. A Top Hat is really easy to make as long as you're not averse to fighting some spiders, and it'll do a good job of keeping your marbles together.

Edit: Oh yeah, green and blue mushrooms are also good for sanity, but only if you cook them on a campfire first. If you eat them raw you'll lose sanity. In the case of green mushrooms you'll lose a shitload of sanity if you eat them raw. Situationally useful, but generally something you'll want to avoid.

wizzbang

Banned
Grimløck;96301013 said:
no. new titles are added weekly.

Isn't Don't Starve, Brothers etc all part of the "January load" though?
How does one know which one they seep out each week?
Does this mean that the "time window" for brothers is actually smaller than Don't Starve?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Isn't Don't Starve, Brothers etc all part of the "January load" though?
How does one know which one they seep out each week?
Does this mean that the "time window" for brothers is actually smaller than Don't Starve?

1. Yes
2. We don't
3. No, games get cycled out weekly from the last month as well, it doesn't just go away when the month is over (see Borderlands 2).

Just tried this puppy, put 15 minutes the game...

It's not my kind of game.

which they gave a more massively appealing game for plus.

there's always next month, right?

Playthrough #1 lesson - Don't fuck with tentacles

Also dont know what the three icons in the top right mean, im assuming one is hunger (which looks like a stomach) WTF is up with the brain? Not eve sure what the other one is. I just randomly eat carrots and cook meat and hope for the best

Dingotech

My OCD nature is going to love grinding out that last trophy.......

It seems like they've added that trophy to the game just as an FU to Sony for making them put trophies in the game.

It's actually making me think twice about playing the game on my PS4, after all I have it on Steam anyways.

Playthrough #1 lesson - Don't fuck with tentacles

Also dont know what the three icons in the top right mean, im assuming one is hunger (which looks like a stomach) WTF is up with the brain? Not eve sure what the other one is. I just randomly eat carrots and cook meat and hope for the best

You're not sure what the heart represent? Really?

The brain is nervousness, I think. I know that the little girl you unlock at level 2 start lighting fire whenever she gets nervous and that's what happened when it dropped at zero for me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Anyone who had played this extensively on PC recommend one version over the other? I'll download it on PSN tonight, though I'm wondering into which I should invest my time.

I've dabbled a lot with the PC version, but never 'seriously' sat down with it.

Probably PC for the mods.

Krakn3Dfx

I have close to 100 hours in the PC version, downloaded the PS4 version today...

...3 hours later, still playing. Dammit.

I will say the lack of Workshop support like the PC version has puts me off a little, but it's still a great version of the game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I haven't gotten a chance to read this thread, but I'm having a problem actually playing the game.

I got it free with PS+, set it up to download on my PS4. Got home from work and my internet wasn't working. Got that sorted, The game downloaded, but when I go to play it, it gives me the "Cannot play because it must be used with a player who's authorized to use it."

I checked the PS Store, and, yup, it's labeled as me owning it, so I have no idea what the deal is. I uninstalled it, and am redownloading it now, should be finished in about 1 minute, and I'll try it again. I was hoping to play a little bit of it before I go to bed tonight. Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Finished downloading, gave me the error again, so I logged out of the PS4, then logged back in again, gave me another error, then I tried it one last time, and was able to get into the game. Weird.

VanWinkle

If they've added Don't Starve and DmC can I ask where Brothers is? What am I doing wrong? I just don't 'get' PSN+ - surely the update should include it all, no?

They used to not tell everybody all the stuff that's coming in the new month; instead, they would tell us what was coming the following WEEK. A lot of people were impatient and wanted to know everything for the month, so they now tell us shortly before the month begins.

Okay, now, PS+ updates every week with the Playstation Store Update, so on Monday of every week they tell us what is coming that specific week. The current way it's working out is the first two weeks of the month are PS3 games, and the last two weeks are Vita titles. PS4 is still so new that we don't really know how it's going to work for that platform, but, for this month specifically, the PS4 title was added at the first week of the month - today.

Now, THIS month we have THREE PS3 titles. We usually only have two. We got DmC this week, so if they stick to the first two weeks being PS3 games, next week we will get Bioshock Infinite and Brothers. Then the last two weeks we'll get Vita games.

Honestly, I think telling people EVERYTHING that's coming the following month has proven to be a mistake, because so many people, such as yourself, are confused about when we're getting stuff. I see it constantly. I wanted to know everything that was coming for the month, too, because I am impatient, but I really wouldn't mind if they went back to telling us week by week if it would help some of this confusion.

Grinchy

Banned
It seems like they've added that trophy to the game just as an FU to Sony for making them put trophies in the game.

It's actually making me think twice about playing the game on my PS4, after all I have it on Steam anyways.

It is kind of annoying how much they obviously hate trophies. I didn't read much into it but didn't they refuse to make achievements on the Steam version?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I haven't gotten a chance to read this thread, but I'm having a problem actually playing the game.

I got it free with PS+, set it up to download on my PS4. Got home from work and my internet wasn't working. Got that sorted, The game downloaded, but when I go to play it, it gives me the "Cannot play because it must be used with a player who's authorized to use it."

I checked the PS Store, and, yup, it's labeled as me owning it, so I have no idea what the deal is. I uninstalled it, and am redownloading it now, should be finished in about 1 minute, and I'll try it again. I was hoping to play a little bit of it before I go to bed tonight. Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Finished downloading, gave me the error again, so I logged out of the PS4, then logged back in again, gave me another error, then I tried it one last time, and was able to get into the game. Weird.
Try restoring your licenses via the PSN Settings menu next time.

Dingotech

It is kind of annoying how much they obviously hate trophies. I didn't read much into it but didn't they refuse to make achievements on the Steam version?

Yeah apparently, I haven't really followed the drama though.

You would think if they wanted to make the point that trophies are useless in their opinion that they would make them all stupidly easy to get...

jf DOOM

Yeah apparently, I haven't really followed the drama though.

You would think if they wanted to make the point that trophies are useless in their opinion that they would make them all stupidly easy to get...

I get that they don't like trophies but it seems like they're cutting their nose to spite their face. The people who are on the fence about the game that are into trophies may end up skipping it due to the trophy list being not so great. I've done that on games I would have bought day 1, and ended up getting on sale later.

Replicant

1. Restore your license. Settings > PSN > Restore license.

OR

2. In the very few case of weird incidents (ie. CoD Ghost), try swapping your controller from being plugged into controller 2 slot into controller 1 slot. Don't ask me why. Just know that it worked for me.

The Lamp

I don't know how to get gold and after dying 3 times due to mistakes from trying things out; I think I'm done with this because it makes me start over from the beginning and the beginning of the game is too slow.

Top Bottom