• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

_hekk05

Banned
I thought I made it 7 days my first playthough, but my morgue says 6. I just finished my second attempt and made it 22 days. I could have kept going, but it's 2am right now and I decided to attack a gang of penguins, only to get pwned.

I think winter comes around day 21. I need to time a day cycle, because that 22 days felt like an eternity.

I haven't found adventure mode, or whatever. I'd like to give it a try though. I think I've gotten a hang of the hunter-gatherer routine. I had a perfect base camp. I had a huge grass plain with rabbits to my south, a ton of rocks and a graveyard to the east, and flowers, frogs, mandrakes and a paved road to my west. I collected, cooked and ate 4 mandrakes to boost my days. They only give you one day, but it's a nice way to jump ahead.

I made it those 22 days after using a touchstone on day 14. I'd actually made it to day 20 or so, unscathed, and I'd just gathered 3 or 4 mandrakes, and the game crashed on my way back to camp. Luckily, I'd found a cave on day 12, so the autosave brought me back to then. I was kinda mad, so I bumrushed back to where I dropped all my goodies (only one mandrake was in my loot), and ended up getting killed by darkness because I didn't realize mandrakes could run from you. LOL! I was chasing it for a minute, and then darkness fell. I had no materials for a torch, so....yeah. Mandrakes all live in the wrong part of town. LOL!

Anyway, I'll play more tomorrow. Is it worth trying out the new characters, or should I stick with the default guy until I unlock everyone? PEACE.

EDIT: Wait...there's a map? Well fuck me, that'll make my life a lot easier. I've kinda limited my range of movement so I can always find my way back to a fire pit by nightfall. So I tend to move in the cardinal directions. Makes backtracking really easy, but a map will be so much better. That'll teach me for not paying attention.

If you really want a challenge, when you make a new game, go to world settings and change up stuff. Set berry trees and carrots to spawn less often, decrease summer length and increase winter length etc.

If you can't really survive til winter yet, try increasing food and decreasing monster spawns, so you can explore and learn about the world more in a playthrough.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I feel like I'm good at the hunter gatherer part, but I'm missing something as far as setting up a farm/base camp. I'm trying to get a pig village on my side but I can't come up with an efficient way of getting meat for them regularly... any suggestions?
I usually don't bother with pig villages till after my first
Winter

It's much easier to set up camp near
a savanna that has a nearby quarry. You can get grass, food (rabbits & beefalo), fertilizer for farms/transplanted plants, and start preparing for Winter in the savanna. While the quarry is just there so you don't have to make long trips when you run low on flints, rocks, and gold.

Be aware though that
Beefalo will gang up on you after attacking one within distance of the herd. The best thing to do is smack one only once and then run away till he's the last one following you.

Second attempt and at Day 26 and still goin strong. Had a tree creature stalk me for 3 days, finally lured him to a pig village and they destroyed him and I ate the delicious dead pig meat.

Have a nice wall and penguins hanging out in front of it... I see Tastey eggs! But I cant get them.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm good at the hunter gatherer part, but I'm missing something as far as setting up a farm/base camp. I'm trying to get a pig village on my side but I can't come up with an efficient way of getting meat for them regularly... any suggestions?

spiders. set up your base near pigs (pigs and beefalos is the ultimate location I find). get a fridge ( you will have to find cogs for this which means mapping out the map and finding the place you need to take the 'things'). then fridge monstermeat. monster meat is useful because you can combine it, 2 regular meat and a honey and you've got honeyham, best food in the game.

Also you can feed pigs 3 monster meat without penalty. on the 4th, they turn to wear-pig. you can bash em to death during the transform to grab some pigskin for helmet thing as well though which is handy.

I played the game on PC about a year ago. I'm sure there's been a lot of updates and new stuff, but is there an ending? Adventure Mode was mentioned but how is that different from the normal mode?

MMaRsu

LOL not free for PS+ get your shit together Sony C'mon :(

Now we paying for Plus and you still can't get shit right.

MMaRsu

Er, no, this always happens. The Plus discounts get applied in a batch, later.

Well, like I kinda wish they would hurry up. If the games get uploaded just apply the Plus discount right away.

I'm not really down with these store update times.

_hekk05

Banned
Second attempt and at Day 26 and still goin strong. Had a tree creature stalk me for 3 days, finally lured him to a pig village and they destroyed him and I ate the delicious dead pig meat.

Have a nice wall and penguins hanging out in front of it... I see Tastey eggs! But I cant get them.

If you want the tree to not bother you just plant pine cones in front of it until it shrinks back into a tree. Then, plant a pine cone beside it and set the sapling on fire. Repeat til its dead.

You have to set fire to the tree guardian multiple times to kill it. So if you want living logs from the guardian, you shouldn't kill it with fire. Set fire to it twice, then lure it into a pig village. Hire some pigs and use them as meat shields to kill it. Free meat at the end is nice too.

Audioboxer

Er, no, this always happens. The Plus discounts get applied in a batch, later.

It is a little silly, chances are there is always someone somewhere in the world who buys and then needs a refund lol.

Don't see why Plus pricing cannot be added on initial update, at least not from a technical standpoint.

Nyx

I'm at work, how do I do this?

You have to download the Playstation app for your smartphone.
Then you first need to connect the app with your console at home, after that initial setup you can use the app to access the PS Store and tell your PS4 to start downloading already.

It has to be in standby mode for that.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm at work, how do I do this?

Then you first need to connect the app with your console at home, after that initial setup you can use the app to access the PS Store and tell your PS4 to start downloading already.

Can do the above or just do it via your browser by visiting https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ and then after you've checked out the purchase, go to the Download List and pick "Download to my PS4".

8byte

Banned
Made it 9 days on my first try. Best part so far has been learning everything as I go, and exploring. Taking that first dive into a Wormhole is pretty nerve racking! Super fun though, cannot wait to get off work and play some more, had a blast.

klier

Thanks guys, I already have the PS app, but I don't think my PS4 is in standby mode. Might be an idea for the future if I'm able to remotely download stuff that way..

FHIZ

BF4 has trophies.

AcBg1S4.jpg

Just like the pc version, I do really good with the basic loop of "axe, pick, science machine, fire pit" then kind of stop knowing what to work towards next and just kinda eventually die

I fought a tall bird, though. Stole it's egg but then I accidentally cooked it :( felt like a monster

Sec0nd

Is there some end goal to this game? I watched the Giantbomb quicklook and it just seems it's just to test how long you can stay alive. Can't you eventually make a settlement or something?

NeoRausch

man living in the future is AWESOME!
I'm just had a short break at work and downloaded Don't Starve to my PS4... FROM MY PHONE!
think about that!
and it will be hot and ready for me when work is over!

FUTURE!

where is my fucking hooverboard, though

edit:
...and War Thunder is lacking a big chunk of updates, too.

yeah what's up with that. most stuff I clicked on was not available yet. rushed hard?

Just like the pc version, I do really good with the basic loop of "axe, pick, science machine, fire pit" then kind of stop knowing what to work towards next and just kinda eventually die

The Alchemy Machine is a pretty easy next step. Build 4-6 Improved Farms and start transplanting large amounts of saplings to your base (after building a lightning rod nearby so they don't all burn down). Add a crock pot or two (intentionally burn down some isolated trees for the charcoal) and start catching rabbits with traps. Get yourself a couple beehives for honey and you can make honey nuggets and honey ham, meaning you can be more aggressive since those heal quite a bit of health. If you can find the chessboard biome, kill a knight (dodge the bishops and the big rhino thing) for gears and you've got an icebox to stock up on food in and you can have a week's worth of food stored up. And this isn't even tapping into the Magic crafting.

madp0k

Just done this in my lunch break, it's a really cool feature for people with slow internet like me, looking forward to it being downloaded when I get home. Looks like a cool little game that I probably would of missed normally.

still trying to figure out how to unlock characters - anyone know how it works?

Once you die, you'll get XP based on how long you survived (and possibly other things) which will unlock characters. There are also one or two others that require special stuff to unlock, like finding and completing adventure mode, but the majority of characters are unlocked by earning XP after you die.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Once you die, you'll get XP based on how long you survived (and possibly other things) which will unlock characters. There are also one or two others that require special stuff to unlock, like finding and completing adventure mode, but the majority of characters are unlocked by earning XP after you die.

and XP from death stacks? so in a sense, it's the only thing that carries over from game to game

and XP from death stacks? so in a sense, it's the only thing that carries over from game to game

Yes. You could, in theory, just play for a day and intentionally die a bunch of times to unlock the characters. A few good 10+ day runs should completely unlock everything for you, though, and aren't that hard to achieve once you figure out what all will easily kill you that early in the game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yes. You could, in theory, just play for a day and intentionally die a bunch of times to unlock the characters. A few good 10+ day runs should completely unlock everything for you, though, and aren't that hard to achieve once you figure out what all will easily kill you that early in the game.

yeah i'm slowly figuring it out. played the pc version a while back.

i think i waste too much hay making walls, but psychologically i feel like i need to build a house like structure... hrmmm

Top Bottom