• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 Gone Gold - Release Data August 3-5

Ryu

I remember reading a story awhile ago about the game coming on CD's only with no DVD version -- I seriously hope that's not true.

SKluck

Banned
I am expecting no problems running it at med detail at 1024x768 with my machine.

2800+, 1GB DDR, 9800 Pro.

If I can run Farcry at 1024x768 at max detail smoothly, doom 3 should be a walk in the park.

AirBrian

FriScho said:
I saw this somewere on a Doom fanpage: "A P4 3GHz with a Georce 5950- class card will see u through okay. One of our test systems had a geforce 6800 ultra and ran flawlessly at 1024x 768 with high detail (A higher level of quality and resolution is available , but the PC to run it well isn't). Running with a geforce4 MX card and 512 Mb RAM, the texture detail was great, although the game was choppier in spots."
Thanks.

I've got an Athlon 3200+ with 512 MB RAM and 64 MB GeForce4 MX440 :(
(HP a430n to be exact.)

Time to buy a video card.

FriScho

I wonder if you can set the polygon settings to high and get monsters with a smooth rounded skull... but if even the offical advertisement shows angular heads, my hopes are not very high for that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
FriScho said:
I wonder if you can set the polygon settings to high and get monsters with a smooth rounded skull... but if even the offical advertisement shows angular heads, my hopes are not very high for that.

It looks like a combination of old screenshots...

I mean, come on, these monsters look very nice in-game. Even better, they seem to animate very well. Heck, compare these to Far Cry's Trigen monsters. The quality of those models was quite low IMO. Doom 3's stomp all over it...

469881_20031205_screen001.jpg

469881_20031205_screen002.jpg

OK, a couple of things that piss me off: No DVD version WHAT THE EFF is id thinking? Bastards. I don't want a 6 CD game install. UT got it right, again. Second, John Carmack's bitch-like attitude towards ATI. "Oh, noes, I think they leaked my beta, I will shun them and all their users." Seriously, you can hate the company, but don't be a dick and take it out on all the users of the cards. They can't help it. I bet you he has downgraded the ATI path versus the nVidia path. His comments in the past seem to have indicated as much.

Mrbob

Error Macro said:
OK, a couple of things that piss me off: No DVD version WHAT THE EFF is id thinking? Bastards. I don't want a 6 CD game install. UT got it right, again. Second, John Carmack's bitch-like attitude towards ATI. "Oh, noes, I think they leaked my beta, I will shun them and all their users." Seriously, you can hate the company, but don't be a dick and take it out on all the users of the cards. They can't help it. I bet you he has downgraded the ATI path versus the nVidia path. His comments in the past seem to have indicated as much.

Well, this isn't exactly correct. He didn't shun ATI users. The ARB2 path is the ATI path. The problem was before the 6800 the Nvidia cards couldn't run the Arb2 path properly (While the 9800/9800XT can) so they had a custom nvidia path set in place. Which didn't look as nice as the ARB2 path.

Neo_ZX

Hrm, so it was devved externally. Kind of weird, though, that it's officially called part of the "Trilogy," yet it's not officially "Doom 3."

Could it be that this is the 3rd major engine they've used for Doom? Although all the old Dooms looked pretty much identical. I can't recall if the later Dooms were 3D like Nukem.

Just throwing some gas into the fire. Maybe the considered the other games to be expansions rather than an actual sequel. Or maybe they're just trying to stretch out the franchise. Doom 4 would sound kinda weird.

Tenguman

I've been waiting for either HL2 or Doom3 to go gold to upgrade my videocard

just bought me one of these bad boys, it arrives friday :)
128-A8-N343-AX.gif

What's cool, that with their upgrade program, I can get a better card 3 months from now if I want to and only have to pay the difference. So I could get an ultra when I get a job if I wanted to.

I suggest that, if you're upgrading, buy a videocard now -- they could go up in price after this announcement :) Not to mention 6800s and X800's are sorta hard to grab.....and will be now that Doom3 has gone gold

FriScho

Error Macro said:

It's 3 CDs and it will run fine on ATI cards.

Matlock said:
Whether it is or not, I'm not sure...BUT...

id calls The Ultimate Doom/Doom II/Final Doom "The Ultimate Doom Trilogy" in their "Doom Collector's Edition," and the descrip for Final Doom is...

EDIT: Hrm, so it was devved externally. Kind of weird, though, that it's officially called part of the "Trilogy," yet it's not officially "Doom 3."
I have a box set by id Software called "Depths of Doom: Trilogy" and it includes Doom, Doom II and Master Levels for Doom II. It kind of contradicts the other 'trilogy'.

shuri

Banned
Well Doom 3 is more of a re-imaging of the original concept of doom, that was described in the original doom bible. The doom bible is the online version of the original doom1/2 design documents. It was released for the 5th anniversary of Doom2

Doom 3 might be the most important PC release since Doom 2 ;) As a matter of fact, Doom 3 is one of the most important game release ever.

Doom changed so many things about videogames..

Sai

Tenguman said:
What's cool, that with their upgrade program, I can get a better card 3 months from now if I want to and only have to pay the difference. So I could get an ultra when I get a job if I wanted to.
Oooh~... Where'd you purchase it from?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
to people buying ATI x800XT : reason for shortage of these cards is because ATI is having difficulties acquiring memory modules for it. rats i say rats! 2 stores in toronto are getting them in at about 2-3 per WEEK. ouch.

hobbitx

I wonder how long it will be before the "Doom 3 Gold" warez start popping up everywhere.

Oh yeah, how much space will Doom's installation need?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They ripped off the Thing's head spiders :( :) :( :)

I don't know if I should be happy or sad about that.

bogg

hobbitx said:
I wonder how long it will be before the "Doom 3 Gold" warez start popping up everywhere.

Oh yeah, how much space will Doom's installation need?
Well if its really 3 disc's like the other guys say, than probably somthing like 2 gigs.

miyuru

IMO this game is overhyped, but I'll reserve judgement until I play it. To me so far, it's just a tech demo. To id's credit though, they haven't released much info anyway.

Mrbob said:
Well, this isn't exactly correct. He didn't shun ATI users. The ARB2 path is the ATI path. The problem was before the 6800 the Nvidia cards couldn't run the Arb2 path properly (While the 9800/9800XT can) so they had a custom nvidia path set in place. Which didn't look as nice as the ARB2 path.

True, I read this somewhere else after making my post. It still runs faster on the 6800 Ultra, but I have to ask, why? :(

FriScho said:
It's 3 CDs and it will run fine on ATI cards.

"George is getting upset!!"

Ok, so it's not 6 CDs. I was exaggerating a little. But really, I just want all games to be on DVDs and come in DVD cases. Is that too much to ask for, developers/publishers?

dark10x

miyuru said:
IMO this game is overhyped, but I'll reserve judgement until I play it. To me so far, it's just a tech demo. To id's credit though, they haven't released much info anyway.

Having read the review, it really doesn't sound that way. It actually sounds like a very well designed single player experience the likes of which id had never made.

dark10x

ItalianStallion said:
I still don't know what graphics card to get

Anyway, this game will own anything (other than Half Life 2) this year. Awesome..

Year of the PC ;)

Year of the PC? Try year of EVERYTHING! There are so many incredible titles on the way for ALL systems...

PC actually has the fewest...but those few games should be REALLLY good.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Error Macro said:

You can afford the setup to run this but not a $30 DVD drive?

dark10x

Society said:
You can afford the setup to run this but not a $30 DVD drive?

What? I think you mis-understood him. He's pissed because Doom 3 is going to be released only on CD (3 of them, to be exact) rather than DVD. He would rather have a DVD version of the game, which would obviously only require one disc. Therefore, one must assume that he already owns a DVD drive...

tenchir

Matlock said:
I've got a P4 3GHz with HT, 512 MB of ram, and a 64 MB ATI Radeon 9200 mobility. Wonder if that'll run it. :p

If it's a desktop, upgrade your videocard. If it's a laptop, you should be able to run it at 800x600 at mid-low settings. I was able to run the D3 alpha on my laptop well enough(30-40 fps). My laptop is a 2.0Ghz P4, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9000 64MB. I would go for Radeon x800 for both HL2 and D3.

siege

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
When is the Mac version coming out?

From Todd Hollensheads .plan:

Mac and Linux: Unfortunately I don't have dates for either of these. However, Linux binaries will be
available very soon after the PC game hits store shelves. There are no plans for boxed Linux games.
More remains to be done for the OSX version of DOOM 3 and that will take some time. We won't release
the OSX version until it's just as polished as the PC version. The date for OSX DOOM 3 remains "when it's
done", but I can confirm that it's definitely coming.

scola said:
are there two versions of this? ie collectors edition ?

Nope, just the standard edition with a free pewter figurine if you pre-order.

Yusaku

FriScho said:
10/04/2004

Not likely. Doom 3 Xbox will most likely slip to 2005.

To the guy that wants to buy Doom 3 but has a 4 year old computer: Jesus christ, just upgrade. Getting a good Athlon XP and a Radeon 9800 Pro doesn't cost much and will run Doom 3 just dandy.

siege said:
Nope, just the standard edition with a free pewter figurine if you pre-order.

I hope I get that goat dude from Doom II... or that pink demon. I forgot the name of all those guys, it's been about a decade since I played Doom. Hotdamn.

siege

Banned
ItalianStallion said:
I hope I get that goat dude from Doom II... or that pink demon. I forgot the name of all those guys, it's been about a decade since I played Doom. Hotdamn.

It's the Pinky Demon. :)

223988x.jpg

Prospero

More remains to be done for the OSX version of DOOM 3 and that will take some time. We won't release the OSX version until it's just as polished as the PC version. The date for OSX DOOM 3 remains "when it's done", but I can confirm that it's definitely coming.

Let the speculation begin about what kind of specs the Mac version is going to need. I'm guessing a G5 will be mandatory.

Ryu

Gamestop has the best deal for California Residents. No tax. Free overnight shipping if you pre-order Half Life 2 as well. Pewter figurine of Baron of Hell. Tax is applied if you live in Texas or New York however.

Top Bottom