• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doritos Crash Course 2 |OT| It's free

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

unbenanntfxqca.png

The first one was kind of dumb fun. It's too bad that this is likely Gold only, as by the time it's free for Silver I will have forgotten that it exists.

Linius

Aarggh, I wanna play but I get that stupid error about the money printer broken down.

Also, it's not possible to play this game while your xbox is offline? That would be a bummer.

Prevents people from getting content they don't own/haven't unlocked I guess?

Are there any F2P games that don't use servers?

Yes, all F2P games are "always online."

This is a F2P game with day 1 server issues; nothing out of the ordinary. Happy Wars had launch issues as well.

Daigoro

Didn't think it would be much better than the first but it is really good.

it's shinier, but its feeling very familiar very quickly for me. for a free game, its great. but im getting bored fast.

playing it for more than a few minutes makes me just want to go play Trials.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Avatar Famestar rewards are broken. "Have an achievement from the original Doritos Crash Course 1" doesn't work. "Grab 12 stars and earn Silver in 5 Amazon courses." doesn't work. I don't think "Grab 4 or more stars in 1 checkpoint" works. I haven't tried any Southern races but still have some progress bar in the Southern Race ledge grab one. Actually, what exactly is a southern race? Also, unlocked Famestar progress doesn't seem to save to my overall famestar total.

Edit: Just got 4 in 1 segment in an online match where I didn't get any stars ??? So I'm guessing at least some of the Famestar rewards are multiplayer only, but carry over your actions from the single player, so you could basically get them in single player and then not have them unlock until you multiplayer the same level?

Finally, there's at least two typos in the manual -- the Famestar section says "ploy" when it means "play" in the "Earning Fame" section, and the Help overview section says "thier" when it means "their".

Microsoft, PM me to get my paypal address to pay me for testing this game for you.

Bummer. Hard to get all pissed because this is free, but still. Hopefully they'll get it sorted out.

Its kind of weird though that there are all of these issues. I thought maybe it was just server stuff they hadn't fully anticipated but the typos and other bugs might indicate a lack of QC or a rush job.

Why would they have rushed a free Doritos game? Doesn't this do the exact opposite of what a free company-sponsored game is supposed to do? I was going to buy some Doritos today, but fuck that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How the hell do you get that star after the slide jump near the start of the first level?

I see the AI do it no problem but I can't replicate it. What's the trick?

EDIT: came across another one of those situations in the first Antarctica level.. I just can't carry momentum through small platforms, and there doesn't seem to be enough space or time for a slide jump.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
100%'d the single player. I won an online tournament but it didn't count for the achievement, and I have to grind out some level challenges to clear out the 50/75 level challenges achievements. Overall it's good, I'd say on par with the first one. Hidden stars give the levels more depth, but the progression of paying stars to unlock levels is a little frustrating--if you buy any non-level content you'll end up having to grind to unlock levels in the 4th world, which kind of sucks. I didn't use any powerups because why bother.

JMizzlin

Anyone else still having errors connecting to the servers? Yesterday I managed to play a single race (though it disconnected as soon as I was done) but haven't been able to get back in since.

Is there a reason these games only come out on xbox? Does MS pay for them? Do xbox only gamers just love playing shitty games made by advertisers? It seems to be a very xbox thing. I mean for a free game it looks kinda fun, it just seems weird that xbox gets these where ps doesn't.

How the hell do you get that star after the slide jump near the start of the first level?

I see the AI do it no problem but I can't replicate it. What's the trick?

EDIT: came across another one of those situations in the first Antarctica level.. I just can't carry momentum through small platforms, and there doesn't seem to be enough space or time for a slide jump.

If you slide upon landing (even though it is flat) on the first platform it helps you maintain your momentum to the conveyor belt.

As surprisingly good as this is (especially in multiplayer) it's absolutely crippled by the microtransaction bullshit. Literally half of each level is hidden under a currency that requires either thoughtless grinding, or real cash.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you slide upon landing (even though it is flat) on the first platform it helps you maintain your momentum to the conveyor belt.
I try this

As surprisingly good as this is (especially in multiplayer) it's absolutely crippled by the microtransaction bullshit. Literally half of each level is hidden under a currency that requires either thoughtless grinding, or real cash.
I think Stump's analysis above is a bit more appropriate, you can do it all if you play it well and the right way. I don't think it's ruined, but the game design does skew towards completing everything in a linear format, which the original did too, but it's more demanding on the player and requires a completionist mindset or grinding to get there, which sucks for people, but it wouldn't be the first game to do so.

It just sucks I have to unlock everything in SP first if I want to play it with my buddies in multiplayer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

You get 20 stars for beating a level, 16 for getting the stars, and then 2-9 for doing 1-3 of the bonus objectives. So you're looking at 36-45 for one total runthrough of a level. The final set of worlds take 48 coins to unlock (40 to unlock, 8 for alternative path). The previous sets take less. So if you don't buy costumes or powerups or jinxes, you will get enough stars playing straight through the game and making sure to complete one level before moving on to the next.

The real problem is that if you mis-spend stars on anything, you're hosed. It takes a phenomenally long time to get stars just grinding the bonus objectives. So basically the game has 36*20 = 720 stars that you can get without grinding, and anything you need beyond that is a PITA.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
How the fuck do I get that last star on the very first level?

Right near the start where you have to slide, jump on a platform, then jump on to a travelator platform.

I watch the computer character and dude is spinning through the air.

Talk about disappointment.

Loved the first game, but why the hell have they halved the framerate to 30fps for the sequel?! Platformers like this demand 60fps.

That aside it just doesn't feel as fun or tight as the original game either. In fact, got bored of it pretty quickly despite spending a ton of time with the first game.

This surely can't have been developed by the same team?

This game is not for me, much as I loved the first something about this version seems off.

For a start 30fps during the events is really bad, visually it does not look that improved over the original yet they had to half the frame rate?

The skills you can buy which will effect your overall time should not be there, everyone should be able to compete on the same level, I don't mean the curses for passing someone or the novelty effects coming from your character but things like extended slide times and double sprint lengths, that stuff is edging into pay to win territory.

I will try it some more later but i'm not feeling it, every time I play multiplayer people quit before the 4th event and I get kicked back to the main menu, this age of online players just do not stick around.

I got really excited about this, invited people around tonight for a drunken Crash Course party, which happened very successfully with the first one.

Downloaded it.

Gold only.

Thanks Microsoft

quickwhips

I got really excited about this, invited people around tonight for a drunken Crash Course party, which happened very successfully with the first one.

Downloaded it.

Gold only.

Thanks Microsoft

Microsoft doesn't have anything to lure gold members like PS+
They make f2p online games for Gold Members.
People get mad because you have to be a gold member. :(
I do agree that you shouldn't be able to download it if not a gold member though.

Downloaded it.

Gold only.

Thanks Microsoft

How is this any different than PS+?

It's a good thing that Microsoft is starting to add more value to the Gold membership with all these free games.
Plus the gold only XBLA weekly sales have been great lately.

It's a good thing that Microsoft is starting to add more value to the Gold membership with all these free games.

The difference is that on ps+ you could still purchase the game if you didn't have the sub.

Sojgat

Wow this game may be free, but it's still bullshit.

I'm constantly getting disconnected at the end of races.

Spend 5 minutes collecting all the stars, and then lose that progress/coin.

If this is a taste of the only online future, it can get fucked.

Also, I went out to get some snacks, and ended up buying Doritos... game is pure evil.

leehom

Was trying to figure out why I couldn't download it, so I read the thread and found out I had to be a gold member =/

Bless you Microsoft, for offering me a sponsored game for free.

Top Bottom