• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negative armor works differently in dota 2 compared to dota 1 (assumed to be a bug). It's approximately 10% less effective at all levels compared with dota 1, so heroes like Slardar/SF/dazzle are affected a little more than others by this. No word from valve if this is a bug or intended change though.

I almost wished slarder had a taunt like axe but reverse, negative armor as an aoe with the taunt duration. Blink ulti, stun would make a fun hero.

eznark

Banned
hacksaw4.jpg

Are you randoming in mm games or bot games? Watching the videos during or after the match?

In matchmaking. I think I only played one co-op bot game as lich then dived into matchmaking. I went for some of the recommended heroes from here early on but then mostly just randomed if I was in All Pick. I watched the videos as they came out unless there was a particular hero I wanted to understand, then I would search for that one. Also watched some of Totalbiscuit's Dota stuff when I started playing.

I think the in-game guides probably make things a lot easier now for someone to just pick up a hero they don't know.

Sliver

na'vi won on eu, kp on us
online matters a lot

Ping tables for US server.

102 ms : KP.EE Pray
74 ms : Clairvoyance
145 ms : KP RTZ
159 ms : Hugo
194 ms : Na`Vi.KuroKy
152 ms : HolyMaster
182 ms : Na`Vi.Dendi
200 ms : KP bOne7
190 ms : Na`Vi.XBOCT(4)
165 ms : Na`Vi.VeRsuta
195 ms : @TobiWanDOTA
166 ms : KP^^^pieliedie
192 ms : CaspeRRR (\/) O_O (\/)
165 ms : FroggedTV.LuCiqNo
179 ms : AntenaDota | Daelin
189 ms : standin.Sing星
187 ms : @v1lat
207 ms : Marty
175 ms : SagaN9ne
187 ms : uebelst Alex-
200 ms : Na`Vi.Funn1k
200 ms : Na`Vi.Puppey
177 ms : PhobozZz
180 ms : GRS.3QUULU5

TommyT

In matchmaking. I think I only played one co-op bot game as lich then dived into matchmaking. I went for some of the recommended heroes from here early on but then mostly just randomed if I was in All Pick. I watched the videos as they came out unless there was a particular hero I wanted to understand, then I would search for that one. Also watched some of Totalbiscuit's Dota stuff when I started playing.

I think the in-game guides probably make things a lot easier now for someone to just pick up a hero they don't know.

So would you say you had a pretty decent understanding of the game/mechanics before you started randoming?

Tobe

A big problem with the MM is grouping you up with people outside your region by far. I have literally not played a game of Dota in the past week without someone on the team from Peru despite having only US-East selected.

The playstyle of those guys is totally different. Much more aggressive/reckless. Less willing to work as a team. Not willing to even speak English despite knowing how. Flaming everyone and pinging incessantly for the dumbest shit.

Makes me feel racist.

sry about my fellow country men. i too despise that, garena style of play everybody on their own.

tonitoni

I think most pro players disagree with you:

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=414191
http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=79154

I took all of Liquid's games in their history and all of Dignitas's games since the start of the year. I only counted games where Liquid and Dignitas were not playing against scrub EU teams.** Combined, those two teams went 2-20 against good EU teams on the EU server and 36-17 against those teams on the US East server

Would you guys say that using Player created builds is a good way to learn items etc. ?

I'm just playing with Sniper (fun character) and using a guide I found while browsing the community section.

I'm beginning to understand the importance of attack speed for him so hopefully I'll figure out more stuff.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Rod Breslau ‏@Slasher 25m
Blizzard announces they'll be holding each of the WCS S2 Regional finals (NA, EU, KR) on the same weekend. Same time as The International 3.

pffthahahahahahahahaha

Artanisix

razor dotatoe incoming

Blizzard announces they'll be holding each of the WCS S2 Regional finals (NA, EU, KR) on the same weekend. Same time as The International 3.

pffthahahahahahahahaha

.........................wtf blizzard

shira

jMP0ADm.gif

Does this mean KP gonna hold open tryouts? Shira it's your chance!!!!
iRCNllmh57FYd.gif

Chance to what?

Would you guys say that using Player created builds is a good way to learn items etc. ?

I'm just playing with Sniper (fun character) and using a guide I found while browsing the community section.

I'm beginning to understand the importance of attack speed for him so hopefully I'll figure out more stuff.

I never play sniper but people recommend:
phase boots first for the speed and attack boost.
Then maelstrom for the easier farming.
Then shadowblade for pushing safely.

Seems to make sense.

pffthahahahahahahahaha

I guess they really don't want people to watch their sc2 tournament.
Dumbasses.

sixghost

I guess they really don't want people to watch their sc2 tournament.
Dumbasses.

Who wouldn't want to see which Korean will represent Europe and North America in the world finals?

That format is so stupid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f57By1i-2p0

Fails of the Week

That last clip

O_O

How did that even happen?

Chen sendback combined with Timber Chain maybe? It seems similar to the Pudge fountain hook, and that's how that works.

Hylian7

Any way to escape faceless void's cronosphere?

Don't get caught in it, have some way to make him fuck himself under it, such as having Sand King charge up his ult and just blink right into it. Depending on how farmed he is he may die, but it's unlikely he'll kill the entire team during the duration, so he'll have almost no health afterward, or be dead already.

The other day, I got into a debate with someone over who would theoretically win a mid lane: Skywrath Mage or Outworld Devourer. I was on the OD side and he was on the Skywrath side. His argument was that Skywrath outranges OD and OD would never get to Imprison him. I call bullshit, as he will have to get in range SOMETIME, and then OD beats damn near everything mid.

Who was right (in theory, assuming both were played well)?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Don't get caught in it, have some way to make him fuck himself under it, such as having Sand King charge up his ult and just blink right into it. Depending on how farmed he is he may die, but it's unlikely he'll kill the entire team during the duration, so he'll have almost no health afterward, or be dead already.

The other day, I got into a debate with someone over who would theoretically win a mid lane: Skywrath Mage or Outworld Devourer. I was on the OD side and he was on the Skywrath side. His argument was that Skywrath outranges OD and OD would never get to Imprison him. I call bullshit, as he will have to get in range SOMETIME, and then OD beats damn near everything mid.

I agree with you, Skywrath has to have literally a perfect laning phase or else OD snowballs and devours him.

ksan

imprisonment has 550 range, skywrath has a 600 attack range and a front swing on his attack
in some magical fairy land where od can't move at all, skywrath might win

I personally think the OD would win. He can use astral to stop himself from taking damage from skywrath nukes and with essence aura he should still have the mana to use it offensively when he can get close enough. Whereas skywrath will have to rely on bottle/clarity to make up for any wasted nukes.

OD. Skywrath is an int hero that's already slightly reliant on his spells to last hit. With imprisonment up, it'd be a massacre.

Am I the only person in the world that cannot QoP ult to save my life? I miss them 50% of the time somehow, and I have no idea why it happens.

Oh god, you are most certainly not. I whiff ults hard with qop of pain. Shit is super embarrassing.

I'm bummed that Disruptor is in that list. I understand though. Doesn't have the tri-lane presence of so many other heroes like a jakiro or visage. His team fight isn't the best either, but his utility with good fields and glimpses is great. Also he's hype/fun.

I agree. Disruptor is one of the most fun supports in the game. The first time I glimpsed an enemy back to base after he TPed to a tower... priceless.

Holy shit, I didn't know that worked. Hahaha that's amazing; at my tier I bet no FV would see that coming.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I think your friend forgot that Outwould Devourer can put himself in jail. Just dodge most of the damage that SWM is throwing out. It is also basically impossible for OD to run out of mana.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Skywrath should have an advantage for the first few minutes, and needs to push it. Once OD gets a few levels over Skywrath, OD can make it so Skywrath has no mana. I could see it being possible for Skywrath to play well enough to not lose though, if he makes use of his silence.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
iyoR4ZNiqpgvz.png

At the alienwarecup this was the list of heroes who were neither picked nor banned once in the tourney. Pretty much anything you see in pubs is for people who like to press R/rightclick for win. Heroes with imbalanced skills which require teamwork and communication like wisp and batrider are just too good to pass up.

Then again with Quantic, Alliance, or pocket strats anything is possible

Spirit Breaker not OP confirmed

TommyT

I personally think the OD would win. He can use astral to stop himself from taking damage from skywrath nukes and with essence aura he should still have the mana to use it offensively when he can get close enough. Whereas skywrath will have to rely on bottle/clarity to make up for any wasted nukes.

Unless you're Hylian and never get procs. HUEHUEHUE

Is there a most valued list of heroes?

There used to be a site that showed the %'s of bans and picks. I'm sure DotA Academy has something related on it. I suppose you could measure value that way.

edit: Then again, it's still rather situational. Say someone picks Abbadon; the value of certain heroes rise in relation to that pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom