• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Happy Action Theater |OT| Oh, the Humanity!

I tried out the demo with my son (14 months old) and we loved it. It's hard to tell if he understand that he is on the TV just yet, but I bought it anyway. It's really software for all ages. We did the monster destroying buildings level and the lava level from the demo. The sad part was that I had to take him up to bed before we could try out more.

Side note: The boy already understands what the Kinect is. After about 3 weeks of me using it, he now runs up to the TV and starts to wave when the Xbox is on. He also tries to speak to it, but he isn't good enough at forming words yet. I just have to get him to make that final connection between what's on TV and his own movements.

iby2NKvlYpyS2F.gif

Hahaha, bought.

Does this support Kinect Share? Or is there an easy way to share videos/photos at all? I really hope so, because you could do some hilarious things with this!

Does this support Kinect Share? Or is there an easy way to share videos/photos at all? I really hope so, because you could do some hilarious things with this!
Not that I know of. It's a shame, because its one of the few games I'd actually like to save images for. Especially the game where it takes 5 different depth images and layers them into one.

Gaspode_T

Ok, I live in a Japanese apartment and we have challenges getting Kinect to work to say the least. Most games say to "back up" and unfortunately back up is a dining table and can't go back any farther.

We had a party of bunch of Japanese girls over (my wife's friends) and they usually play Wii so to my surprise I suddenly had a request from them to see this newfangled Kinect thing. In my mind I'm thinking "room of 10 girls, Kinect Adventures works horribly with more than 1 person, what the heck shall I do"...

I had the Happy Action Theater demo I hadn't even tried yet and just randomly decided to jump right into it, boy was that the right decision..the demo just jumps right into the action without any stupid menus or play selection crap that bogs down the beginning of most Kinect games.

They had so much fun with this game I can't even really describe it. The biggest hits were the dancing one where flat paper guys are dancing, and the 5 layer photo thing you are talking about. The game works extremely well from a techncial perspective, the bird one was picking up ledges and stuff of doorway to hallway... I haven't seen any other Kinect game work this well, some of them were even sitting down while some stood up, everything just working seamlessly. Bow down to Doublefine, they have outdone everyone else with a tough technology to master.

Yoritomo

Holy crap. My kids can spend hours with this thing. They just wear themselves out. The star dance one where it slows down if they stop moving is ingenious. I'd like to buy the man a beer who came up with that idea. It's like an energy siphoning system for children.

CTE

The tech in this is way better than any other Kinect game I've tried. My 4 year old loves it. I can't use it yet until my leg heals, but watching him play with the activities is good enough to know this is more than worth the money.

My favorite game from them is still Psychonauts, but these kinds of projects are still fun IMO.

the demo for this is awesome. i will pick up the full game next time we've got some people over.

so, i'm playing it, and one of my cats walks through, knocking balloons around and what have you, but then lava fills the room, submerging Rowdy! poor Rowdy!

so I reach into the lava to rescue him and when I pull him out, he's on fire. I throw him onto the sofa, and my hands are ablaze, so i start waving them around like a moron to put them out.

this is gaming.

This is quite good.

As a parent, it gives me a real Yo Gabba Gabba vibe. It's dead clever, my daughter loves it and it's making her more brave about using the Kinect.

Well done Double Fine. I hope this works out for them.

Tomasooie

Oh my god, the quick look...Everybody who comes into this topic should watch it. And everyone else.

I plan to buy all of Double Fine's games eventually, but I might get this one very very soon.

Edit: Lol, six pack achievement.

The video at the end of the demo shows an activity that acts like a funhouse mirror, but I can't find it in the full game. Was it taken out of the final release, or am I missing something? Do I have to unlock it?

Here's a brief video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nFl3PN92RA#t=0m20s

This 'game' is amazing, btw. I'm only playing this with adults, and it'll get even the most miserable sod waving around like an idiot.

My flatmate and I picked this up last night - absolutely brilliant fun!

The "I know now why you cry" Achievement had me in stitches. :)

Gaspode_T

The video at the end of the demo shows an activity that acts like a funhouse mirror, but I can't find it in the full game. Was it taken out of the final release, or am I missing something? Do I have to unlock it?

Here's a brief video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nFl3PN92RA#t=0m20s

This 'game' is amazing, btw. I'm only playing this with adults, and it'll get even the most miserable sod waving around like an idiot.

I didn't see that one either, I'm not surprised because people probably wouldn't like the "wider" effect...

Download, bought and played it as part of my girlfriend's birthday party last night.
It was mostly a blast, few dullards moaned.

But does the game offer no photo storage or export?
That's absolutely ridiculous! The photos, especially the photo app is the best thing about it!

And now I know why, thanks to Tim himself.

Tim Schafer said:
Thanks for playing! Glad you liked the game.

Saving pictures and uploading them to the internet was definitely a feature we hoped to get into the game. Unfortunately, implementing it would have opened a complicated can of worms that we were avoiding like the plague with DFHAT. Simplicity was one of our main mantras on the game. We wanted the game to start up and not force players to sign in, select memory devices, or play through a tutorial or complicated UI. It’s a very stripped-down game and I think that’s part of it’s appeal.

If you add picture management to that, you need to deal with player identity, picture browsing, selection, confirmation, and a lot of stuff that would have taken time away from making the activities awesome.

Oh, and also, we didn’t have much money to make it.

I hope that someday soon we can figure out a way to add that feature, but we’ll have to see.

In the mean time, the hand-held video captures people have uploaded to YouTube are pretty effective and hilarious. I’d post a link but they’re too nsfw so you’ll have to search for them yourself.

-Tim

Gaspode_T

At the party we had the girls were saying "These aren't being uploaded to the internet are they???" so that's probably good that they aren't being saved off somewhere anyway

Well, actually taking a video of my son playing it does sound like a good idea though

I need to review this but I don't have any kids, well, not without stealing one.

I'm guessing I need a kid's opinion in order to review this game properly - it's not really made for me, is it. lol

hoos30

Picked this up today. My 6 year old daughter LOVES it.I had to take the remote and shut down the TV to get her to go to bed.

Okay, this shit is so much better than even the Giant Bomb QL made it seem. Fun times, folks. This needs to be the new third party pack-in DL code or disc for Kinect.

Top Bottom