• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Truant

Kadey said:
So I'm assuming the customization is like not even half as good on the console versions? I mean how do I selectively get characters to perform certain tasks in battle? I have all these buffs and high level spells but it seems like Morrigan only sticks to regular stuff and all the other nimrods basically just do regular attacks. I feel like I'm the only one doing the real fighting.

Pretty sure the only difference is that you can unloc some tactical slots or variables in the PC version that didn't make the cut. Besides that, the console version will let you set up your behaviour just the same.

fanboi

Banned
roxya said:
Well it's a BG2 successor. BG2 never had lots of different loot, and some of the really powerful items were collectors edition ones :lol

No... not what I remember.

Also, comparing BG2 and DA regarding loot is quite difficult, since DA doesn't rely on gear as much as BG2 does.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So,

I'm at the broken thing part. Is it worth it to keep Wynne or should I listen to Morrigan and kill her? Every time I help someone Morrigan gets all bitchy. :lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Unless either you or Morrigan is able to heal then you really need to keep her around

Kadey said:
So,

I'm at the broken thing part. Is it worth it to keep Wynne or should I listen to Morrigan and kill her? Every time I help someone Morrigan gets all bitchy. :lol

Wynne is set up to be the best healer in the game, so it makes sense gameplay wise to keep her around.

NIN90 said:
I think I'm gonna start the game today.

How to spec my rogue? I think I want a backstabby guy.

Any must-have mods?

Just make sure you always have enough charm/intimidate skills, very useful in conversations :)

Binabik15

My copy arrived yesterday, but my new pc is still missing a dvd drive and, because of that, an OS :lol

Can I install the game on my brothers pc/my laptop and then again on my new one? I´d be okay with losing the other install.

And I thought about making a rouge that snipes peoples with bows and then storms in with a nice sword, like Aragorn or Warhammer Wood Elves (or Neytiri dot dot dot). Is this okay or a hard build to do? I´m not big on real time squad based rpgs, last one I played was Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption.

Alternative would be a two-handed weapons soldier/mage.

Lime

Binabik15 said:
My copy arrived yesterday, but my new pc is still missing a dvd drive and, because of that, an OS :lol

Can I install the game on my brothers pc/my laptop and then again on my new one? I´d be okay with losing the other install.

And I thought about making a rouge that snipes peoples with bows and then storms in with a nice sword, like Aragorn or Warhammer Wood Elves (or Neytiri dot dot dot). Is this okay or a hard build to do? I´m not big on real time squad based rpgs, last one I played was Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption.

Alternative would be a two-handed weapons soldier/mage.

Just make a USB stick with an OS image on. It's faster than using a DVD drive.

And yeah, you can install the game wherever you want to.

Binabik15

Lime said:
Just make a USB stick with an OS image on. It's faster than using a DVD drive.

And yeah, you can install the game wherever you want to.

Then I still couldn´t install drivers from dvds or games. And I only own a 2 gig usb stick, I´d need a 4 gig one. I´m not shelling out 10 € when the drive could arrive any day.

Guess I´ll install it later on my brother´s pc, any comments about the characters I talked about, anyone?

Binabik15 said:
any comments about the characters I talked about, anyone?

My main character/first playthrough was a rogue who used Bows. He was really underpowered throughout the entire game, and was almost only useful in battle for the default stun move that rogues have. I pumped everything into cunning and Dex, but I was doing abysmal damage all the way til level 20 basically. I hear that there is something wrong with Dex for the Rogue, and I'm sure there is a Pc patch for that. You can certainly nerf a little bit of your ranged skills to get some double blade skills, but you won't be too great at either.

Hyunkel6

Kadey said:
So,

If you kill
Wynne
, you'll have no choice but to go along with
Morrigan's evil plan for the final battle
. Else, she'll leave your party and you'll have no healers for the last part of the game. It was hell, especially on higher difficulties. I had lots of potions though. Thank god
Sandal
shows up right before the final battle. :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
2nd playthrough
Using Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage on Easy. Much easier to take out mobs now. I understand that Bioware wanted to make every battle life or death (which certainly felt that way with a rogue assassin/duelist), but they didn't need to have a group of darkspawn gangbang you from their ambush points all the time :p.

Trying not to cave and get the expansion pack now... :(

Kuro Madoushi said:
2nd playthrough
Using Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage on Easy. Much easier to take out mobs now. I understand that Bioware wanted to make every battle life or death (which certainly felt that way with a rogue assassin/duelist), but they didn't need to have a group of darkspawn gangbang you from their ambush points all the time :p.

Trying not to cave and get the expansion pack now... :(

easy? I'm not trying to bust balls or be haha cool guy but the Arcane Warrior + anything spec is OP and basically a cake walk even on Nightmare.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. Having both Morrigan and Wynne is actually better for me. I seem to be doing better in battle with that setup than Morrigan and Leliana. I'm still having somewhat of a hard time though since A.I controller characters still aren't on par with what I want them to be. I just wished the A.I had common sense instead of these dumb variables.

NIN90 said:
I think I'm gonna start the game today.

How to spec my rogue? I think I want a backstabby guy.

Any must-have mods?

I'm not the guy to tell you real min / max stuff, but I had pretty good luck with Dex / Cun focus and duel wielding daggers after the dagger fix patch. Use stealth when you get aggro and go after guys who are attacking your tank. When you get the ability to get instant backstabs on helpless targets I focused on abilities and items to multiply backstab damage (lots of these in the assassin tree) and I focused the rest of my party on abilities to paralyse / freeze / sleep enemies so that I would always have targets to go after. If you go this route know that good daggers can be pretty hard to find sometimes. I found and puchased my two good ones both in the dwarf area.

Leatherface

Just beat the game. Flawed but fantastic none the less. I have some questions for people who beat it though, only because I'm curious what the outcome would be if I made a few different choices.

I played a dwarf noble btw. The two choices I'm curious about have to do with Morrigan and Loghain. First off, I had Loghain executed becuase he was a douche and I felt no sympathy. Second, I chose not to sex up Morrigan and make a baby. Becuase of this choice she took off into the night and I died killing the Arch Demon. Can someone tell me what the outcome would have been if I let Loghain live and I screwed Morrigan? Thanks! :D

JayDubya

Banned
Kinda sucks if Alistair is the only party member you can take to Awakenings, and it's entirely likely he's executed, exiled, or martyred.

Darklord

Banned
JayDubya said:
Kinda sucks if Alistair is the only party member you can take to Awakenings, and it's entirely likely he's executed, exiled, or martyred.

Wait, is this true he can join you in the expansion?

:mad:

That means I have to pick between my main character and getting Alistair as a party member. FFS. Makes me think the demon baby was the correct way of ending it even if it is one of the darkest bits of magic in the entire game. There should have been a way to save everyone as stay a good guy.

Ceebs

I had to reinstall for various reasons and thought it would be a good chance to take some comparison shots of the vanilla game vs the game with the hi-res texture pack. The game is running at max settings.

The standard textures are on the left and the new ones are on the right.

bestami

I just watched the Developer Diaries. I really love those diaries. Especially Bethesda stuff and God of War ones since they cover almost every step of the development even tho they are fairly short. I couldn't even finish watching this one it was so boring. It felt like it was done just because they needed some material for the CE. I would't be suprised if this whole thing got made in one afternoon. I don't have any Mass Effect material but i am not as tempted to get them after watching this.

Edgeward

Darklord said:
Wait, is this true he can join you in the expansion?

:mad:

He only shows up talking in the trailer so how even knows as the one that is shown in a party traveling with the Grey Warden is Oghren in the Black Marsh trailer.

Ceebs

Ysiadmihi said:
How much of a performance hit do you get with the hi-res textures?
Hard to say...It floats from 40-60+ FPS but I have to toggle a setting in my bios to get solid performance in the vanilla game which I have not tried with the new textures (It seems Dragon Age does not like AMD Cool & Quiet and this mobo).

Hyunkel6

Leatherface said:
Just beat the game. Flawed but fantastic none the less. I have some questions for people who beat it though, only because I'm curious what the outcome would be if I made a few different choices.

I played a dwarf noble btw. The two choices I'm curious about have to do with Morrigan and Loghain. First off, I had Loghain executed becuase he was a douche and I felt no sympathy. Second, I chose not to sex up Morrigan and make a baby. Becuase of this choice she took off into the night and I died killing the Arch Demon. Can someone tell me what the outcome would have been if I let Loghain live and I screwed Morrigan? Thanks! :D

If you
sleep with Morrigan
, everyone gets to live, including
Loghain, who undertakes the joining and becomes a grey warden and one of your party member
. The essence of the
archdemon goes into the baby
. Alistair also leaves for good if you let
Loghain
live.

If you let
Loghain
live and do not
sleep with Morrigan
, you can make him sacrifice himself to redeem his honor by making him deliver the killing blow against the
archdemon

Ceebs said:
I had to reinstall for various reasons and thought it would be a good chance to take some comparison shots of the vanilla game vs the game with the hi-res texture pack. The game is running at max settings.

The standard textures are on the left and the new ones are on the right.

I found the texture pack to not be worth the hassle, especially with the crashes it causes in Denerim and the Dead Trenches.

Mar

Hyunkel6 said:
If you
sleep with Morrigan
Loghain, who undertakes the joining and becomes a grey warden and one of your party member
. The essence of the
Loghain
live.

If you let
Loghain
live and do not
sleep with Morrigan
, you can make him sacrifice himself to redeem his honor by making him deliver the killing blow against the
archdemon

Man, I
killed that bastard good and locked up the stupid princess for good
. Fuck those guys.

Also, I posted my thoughts on Dragon Age in my blog on Gamasutra: ?syntax error: emotion.

Warning, heavy spoilers.

I was trying to work out why I felt so flat after beating the game.

Leatherface

Hyunkel6 said:
If you
sleep with Morrigan
. The essence of the
Loghain
live.

If you let
Loghain
live and do not
sleep with Morrigan
archdemon

Damn. You just made me wish I at least let the whole
Loghain
thing play out differently. lol. Either way, very cool. I love all the choices and consequences in Dragon Age. Thanks for the post. :D

NIN90

TheFightingFish said:
I'm not the guy to tell you real min / max stuff, but I had pretty good luck with Dex / Cun focus and duel wielding daggers after the dagger fix patch. Use stealth when you get aggro and go after guys who are attacking your tank. When you get the ability to get instant backstabs on helpless targets I focused on abilities and items to multiply backstab damage (lots of these in the assassin tree) and I focused the rest of my party on abilities to paralyse / freeze / sleep enemies so that I would always have targets to go after. If you go this route know that good daggers can be pretty hard to find sometimes. I found and puchased my two good ones both in the dwarf area.

Cheers

Speevy

Banned
I'm pretty well finished with the game, so if anyone is interested in getting it, I'll sell it for a really good price. Just send me a PM.

Speevy

Banned
I just thought of a funny video someone could make

Have Leliana sing that whole long song she does in party camp, and right when she finishes, choose "I think you should go."

Shamrock

Banned
Ok I got a question.

So basically I had the assassin in my party and we met up with his band of Gypsy's and that son of bitch turned on me. I had to slay him. So I still have my save from before that. My question is can I do anything different to not have to kill that traitorous bastard? Perhaps I can ween him back to my side by way of subtle suggestion?

Edgeward

Shamrock said:
Ok I got a question.

So basically I had the assassin in my party and we met up with his band of Gypsy's and that son of bitch turned on me. I had to slay him. So I still have my save from before that. My question is can I do anything different to not have to kill that traitorous bastard? Perhaps I can ween him back to my side by way of subtle suggestion?

You have to be in good standing in approval rating for him not to turn on you. If you still have gifts you can try giving it to him and seeing if the extra push is enough, but I doubt it unless you've been hoarding gold/silver bars and leather boots and gloves.

Speevy

Banned
Shamrock said:
Ok I got a question.

YOu need to have him at a high favorability rating, I think. Your first encounter with him suggests his ever-shifting loyalties. I stripped him naked before the fight, easy kill.

Playing a 2nd time. Why did I choose to go to the Circle first? I must have blocked the fade out of my mind.

I seem to be having a far easier time as a mage than I did as a warrior. But maybe it's just I know the game far better than I did 100 hours ago.

fanboi

Banned
Sooo... beat the game yesterday... only to find that I couldn't watch the end cut scene since my baby woke and I had to make her sleep again...

Final battle was quite easy, playing on Hard, and I have like one million potions of both lyrium and health, didn't need to use one.

Mar

Gully State said:
About 10 hours in and the relationship stuff is starting to be a bother (not in a bad way). My appeasing of Morrigan has resulted in Alistar being pissed. I lost a crap load of brownie points when I allowed
the arl's wife to be sacrificed so that their son could be saved
. Was there another way of doing this without pissing off Alistar? I figured that going to the
circle of magi would've taken too long

I wouldn't worry about Alistair, he's a big girl and has a whinge about everything.

DieNgamers said:
I think the worst part (not "bad" either but annoying!) of the game so far is the whole deep road quest. It just doesn't want to end.. o___o It has its moments, though.
(The fat meatmother)

I liked the deep roads. It was actually a relief to get in there because I felt I was solving boring political disputes in the drwarven city for hours. Going from one half of the city to the next then back again and talk to this dude then that dude then do this then back over there. Jesus, I just wanted it to end.

DieNgamers said:
I can't defeat
branka
:O

I ended up fighting the
golems. I saw that anvil and thought, you want to destroy that? It's awesome! So the battle began...

Mar_ said:
I liked the deep roads. It was actually a relief to get in there because I felt I was solving boring political disputes in the drwarven city for hours. Going from one half of the city to the next then back again and talk to this dude then that dude then do this then back over there. Jesus, I just wanted it to end.
I don't know what you decided to do but it went by pretty fast for me. :D I chose Harromont and
fought in the "proving" for him
. That was cool!
After that I killed the mafia for him that's controlling the underground
so it didn't become boring either. It's crazy how different you can approach the whole quest!
I ended up fighting the
golems. I saw that anvil and thought, you want to destroy that? It's awesome! So the battle began...
If you decide to
fight Branka you fight the golemns, too. ;) The only difference is the main boss (either Branka or the Paragon).

360 user, first playthrough, closing in to the 40 hour mark, female human noble warrior with a focus on two-handed combat. So far I've been to the Brecilian Forest, Red Cliff and last night I completed the main Orzammar quest, where I supported
Harrowmont fighting at the arena
and had to
kill Branka and help Caridin in destroying the anvil

I am so in love with this game. Main quests have so many different ways to approach, and sidequests are both entertaining and varied. A couple nights ago I did the
Asunder
quest, which horrified me through the codex entries, and left me wondering if there will be future consequences, since I chose to
let the demon go at the altar in exchange for money
. I think I should have left those things where they were. *shudders*

I should be hanging around the Deep Roads for a little while more, because I had Shale with me, and she wants to
go to her old Thaig

Shamrock

Banned
sweetwasabi said:
Why is there a banana on the bed :/

Also I think Im done with this game, I cant beat the final bosses. Fucking impossible. Also read that
Allistair
dies at the end, so fuck that. Seriously.

Don't quit over it. Seriously just press start, go to options and put the difficulty down for the boss fights. Then if you want, you can turn it back up after. Better option than quitting before you finish it.

I've put about 50 hours into this game, but my PS3's blu-ray drive just stopped readings disks. No matter what I put in...game, blu-ray movie, or DVD...nothing shows up in the XMB. So it looks like I need a new PS3.

My PS3 is a 60GB model, but last year I upgraded the HDD to 250GB. Does anyone know if I can put the 250GB HDD in a new PS3 and keep all the content and game saves, and just pick up where I left off in Dragon Age? Or am I going to be forced to re-format the drive once I put it in the new PS3?

About the (possible) endings:

Is the best possible "Happy Ending" you can get (non-sacrificing your Grey Warden) is romancing Lelianna & (via the credits) finding out you're traveling the world with her after it's all said and done?

I ask this, because I've found that the vast majority of the endings are a depressingly horrible, yet awesome, collection of very sad endings in which:

1) You die to save the world
2) You die to save the world & lose a future with Lelianna (but get a double whammy when you find out that when she dies, she says she'll "Finally be reunited with her love..."
3) You die to save the world & lose Morigan (yes, she is in love with you)
4) You let Allistair die to save the world, so you can live & be with Lelianna
5) You let Lohgain die (big whoopie) to save the world so you can be with Lelianna
6) You perform the Blood Ritual with Morigan so you can live, kill the dragon, so you can be with Lelianna (and also find out that Morigan does love you, even though you never romanced her)

See where this is going? There's several other possible endings (all small variations on a common theme: You save the day, but ultimately, still lose something important. I'd honestly would have loved to have had the option of a very difficult to attain ideal ending. Something in which Bioware said "Okay, you nitwits want a "Rainbows & Puppy Dogs ending, eh? Okay, you have to do this, 100% in order to get it." To me, that'd be the ultimate goal to shoot for & all the other endings, what I replay the game to experience.

All in all, it's (yet another) awesome game from Bioware, one of which I'm sure to continue to play over and over again, because I love having Sten, Ohgren & Lelianna in my group, all chattering with each other.

Just how bad is the 360 version? After playing Mass Effect 2, I'm dying to play this (I was a huge Baldur's Gate fan). My old-ish Macbook Pro isn't good enough to run it.

Nairume

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
Just how bad is the 360 version? After playing Mass Effect 2, I'm dying to play this (I was a huge Baldur's Gate fan). My old-ish Macbook Pro isn't good enough to run it.
It's perfectly fine. Just don't expect it to look as good or control as well as the PC version.

cabottemp

Banned
Lucky Forward said:
I've put about 50 hours into this game, but my PS3's blu-ray drive just stopped readings disks. No matter what I put in...game, blu-ray movie, or DVD...nothing shows up in the XMB. So it looks like I need a new PS3.

My PS3 is a 60GB model, but last year I upgraded the HDD to 250GB. Does anyone know if I can put the 250GB HDD in a new PS3 and keep all the content and game saves, and just pick up where I left off in Dragon Age? Or am I going to be forced to re-format the drive once I put it in the new PS3?

I'm sorry for your loss. I too have a 60gig launch unit and I'm scared to death it's going to die soon.

Jimmy Stav said:

Runs without issue. Due to the lack of an isometric camera, will probably feel more like KOTOR than BG2.

Ashodin

Jimmy Stav said:
Much more fun, IMO. They built the game so there would be no problems having a view behind your character (whereas NWN2 has clipping issues and problems with the camera), and the "FF12" style tactics system gives the game an automated + your character action feel, feels like your group works how you want them to, and you can still be a part of the action :D

Top Bottom