• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

EvaPlusMinus said:
So my question is, do I just jump in on my dwarf and keep playing even though I hardly remember what I did on him, or start over and dig on in? And how much of the game have I even seen? I feels like I did a good deal, but I'm not too sure. I ask because I really want a full experience in this game, and I'm not sure if I'm missing too much by completing the Elf place. Though, now that I think about it, all I really remember doing in there was talking to some trees, and beating up wolf dudes.
Start over and dig in. It's been too long

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Sounds good. Any race/class you'd suggest for maximum enjoyment? First try was a human/tank I think. Second was a dwarf/duel wielder. Don't think I ever got over level 15 on either, so I never really got to experiment with classes.

At my current rate, I'm going to end up finishing an entire 16 week course in about 6 weeks, so I'm really hoping to just sit down and enjoy the hell out of this game in time for the expansion.

Edit: PC player here!

EvaPlusMinus said:
Sounds good. Any race/class you'd suggest for maximum enjoyment? First try was a human/tank I think. Second was a dwarf/duel wielder. Don't think I ever got over level 15 on either, so I never really got to experiment with classes.

At my current rate, I'm going to end up finishing an entire 16 week course in about 6 weeks, so I'm really hoping to just sit down and enjoy the hell out of this game in time for the expansion.

Edit: PC player here!
I'd go with Human -> Mage -> Arcane Warrior. I like being able to fight but still mix in some crazy magic stuff. But to each his own.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I just took on a high dragon (the Urn quest) with Morrigan alone. She's such a badass. He completely owned the rest of the party early including me. I had tons of potions and all I did was run back and forth between high and low ground since his main attack was to fly in the air and do some stomp. It took like 20 minutes to take him out but it felt so good after wards. :D

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I know I could always count on Morrigan :D, she saved my ass countless of times

and are you still havin' problems with
Flemeth
? I used a 1 tank 2 range 1 healer combination and it worked..basically avoid melee combat with
her

slyght

Neo Member
Kadey said:
I just took on a high dragon (the Urn quest) with Morrigan alone. She's such a badass. He completely owned the rest of the party early including me. I had tons of potions and all I did was run back and forth between high and low ground since his main attack was to fly in the air and do some stomp. It took like 20 minutes to take him out but it felt so good after wards. :D
I almost had the same situation with the archdemon. Wynne, Leliana and myself (mage) almost died instantly during the second phase when they were rushed by those freakin Shrieks. It's almost impossible to help a party member as soon as he's surrounded by at least 3 or 4 of them. Health goes down soooo fast :(. Anyway I had Alistair still left with maxed spirit resistance and gave it a try. The army was not that helpful, too. I had those dwarfes after all of my elves got raped but as soon as only three of them were left they only stood right at the entrance and didn't dare to move to the dragon. Oh how I hate those bugs in this game... So the last 15% or so I had to deal with Shield Bash and standard attack only. I guess I used only a dozen of health pots, though.
Btw I was lucky because of phase three. Seems like you need to be in some range for the darkspawn to attack you. Not a single one got after me, but as soon as the archdemon was down, I could see them standing at their entrances. Nevertheless the cutscene triggered immediately and I didn't have to fight them.

Binabik15

Crap, this game is hard. Or at least confusing, I certainly need a BIG tutorial on how to use the strategy settings. My Dalish Elf warrior girl and Alistar (plus the no name guys) are just trying to light the signal during the battle with the darkspawn and that ogre kicks our asses.

I managed to get through the tower even with everybody I´not controlling bum rushing enemies and almost getting killed. How do I set them up to stay back and use their damn bows or retreat when they get blows to the heads?

But I really need help with that Ogre. Everyone I´m not controlling does stupid things. I want the mage to weaken him and zapp him with lightning, the guard to slow him with special shots and Alistair and my girl to shoot him with arrows and hit him in the back. While running away from him so that he can´t pick them up and smash them dead D:

I guess I now know why I never liked real time games with multiple allies to control, Diablo 2 is better suited to my skill level. Click the left mouse until your Pala zeal´d them dead. :lol

Oh, and this time I´m going to rob those temporary allies blind in the last moment ccontrolling them :D

So i just started playing this (got my dog). Ive never, ever played a Baldurs Gate or old-school RPG in my life (my only "RPG's" from way back whhen were FF7 and Phantasy Star 4). Am i doomed ?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Binabik15 said:
Crap, this game is hard. Or at least confusing, I certainly need a BIG tutorial on how to use the strategy settings. My Dalish Elf warrior girl and Alistar (plus the no name guys) are just trying to light the signal during the battle with the darkspawn and that ogre kicks our asses.

I managed to get through the tower even with everybody I´not controlling bum rushing enemies and almost getting killed. How do I set them up to stay back and use their damn bows or retreat when they get blows to the heads?

But I really need help with that Ogre. Everyone I´m not controlling does stupid things. I want the mage to weaken him and zapp him with lightning, the guard to slow him with special shots and Alistair and my girl to shoot him with arrows and hit him in the back. While running away from him so that he can´t pick them up and smash them dead D:

I guess I now know why I never liked real time games with multiple allies to control, Diablo 2 is better suited to my skill level. Click the left mouse until your Pala zeal´d them dead. :lol

Oh, and this time I´m going to rob those temporary allies blind in the last moment ccontrolling them :D

yeah I remember I almost quit the game after failing to this ogre a few times in a row.. I think the key is to keep him on your tank, chug potions like crazy and set the others to "range/ranger?" in the tactics menu ..and thats about it ..

oh and btw check if your party is injured and heal them with kits.

So i just started playing this (got my dog). Ive never, ever played a Baldurs Gate or old-school RPG in my life (my only "RPG's" from way back whhen were FF7 and Phantasy Star 4). Am i doomed ?

nah, I was in the same boat really and I did fine.

markatisu

I have a question about the Ostagar DLC, I killed every enemy I could find and collected what was left (the Kings items usually have a heart) but I apparently did not get the Kings Sword

Does anyone know where its located, I got all the rest of his items (helmet, shield, gauntlets, breastplate)

I never liked the tactics stuff and just left it alone. The ogre battle requires keeping people at range and keeping the ogre aggro on the tank. It's just way too hard to manage aggro level if you set people on autopilot...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
yeah I didnt bother with the "When x do y " tactics either, but it's a MUST to pick a role for each party member.. I forgot the exact terms really..but its something along these lines..dpser..defender and ranger.

markatisu said:
I have a question about the Ostagar DLC, I killed every enemy I could find and collected what was left (the Kings items usually have a heart) but I apparently did not get the Kings Sword

Does anyone know where its located, I got all the rest of his items (helmet, shield, gauntlets, breastplate)

I think it was in a locked chest near the King's tent.

tokkun

Binabik15 said:

If the ogre picks up one of your characters, you can make him drop them by executing a knockdown-type attack like shield bash or pommel strike. I believe Alistair comes with the shield move already learned.

Mar

Binabik15 said:

I think you need to get used to dropping into turn based mode. Sounds like you're just running in guns blazing, maybe switching a character now and again? It's how I started off and you quickly learn it doesn't work.

Not sure how that all works on PC but on the 360 you pull up the radial menu and keep it up, and switch characters and queue up abilities while all the action is paused. Then let go and let the action unfold for a few seconds and then pause it all again and select your next actions.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
telling a rogue to fire an arrow once in a while wont keep him from switching back to his daggers and getting in melee range ...I have many horror stories about my rogues :lol .. I remember once I even stripped my rogue of his weapons and gave him a bow only .. and he still went in the battle fisting peoples faces :lol.. you HAVE to set him as a ranger!.

Agyar

I haven't really been posting in this thread but I thought I'd share my experience regarding party configuration.

I abandoned my initial playthrough of Dragon Age after completing
the Broken Circle and the Redcliffe Castle quests, as well as Warden's Keep and picking up Shale
. Playing a mage, I decided early on to go with Morrigan, Leliana and Shale thinking that Shale would make an adequate tank, Leliana for ranged damage, Morrigan for crowd control/backup damage and my mage for damage/healing. A large part of the reason for abandoning the playthrough was poor skill choices early on in the game, which I felt could be corrected by restarting now that I had a better understanding on the spell and talents.

My second playthrough started out similarly, with adjustments to the spell/talent selection of the party but the same character makeup. I played with this party until about the same point as I reached previously before making a decision to change things up. Playing on the 360, I found the biggest barrier to making it through encounters safely and quickly was the necessity to micro-manage Morrigan as well as my own mage. This meant that the overall damage output the group was moderate but it took a long time clear encounters due to the necessity to carefully control enemies.

Given the above issues, as well as some personal preference for characters, I decided to drop both Shale and Morrigan from my standard party and replaced them with Alistair and Sten. Since that point, combat encounters in the game have not given me any pause and I rarely wipe or lose more than one party member. I focused my mage's spells on the frost line, crushing prison and healing, then picked up Blood Mage and Spirit Healer (for the group heal spell). Alistair is all about the Shield line and Sten, two-handed weapons. I set Leliana up via talents and tactics to lay down crippling, pinning and critical shots while buffing the group with Song of Courage. With this set up, I have been rolling through encounters including
Revenants and the High Dragon
with ease. With some basic tactics set up to pull enemies off Leliana and my mage, the party is remarkably self-sufficient and I rarely, if ever, have to switch characters from my mage at all.

The TL;DR version of this is that playing a party that required any measure of micro-management on the console version was not working and replacing it with one high in damage/defense that lets me sit on my mage and cast spells without having to switch or assign targets is working wonders.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Are there any miss-able worth noting? I'm kinda getting sick of doing these fetch quests and getting nothing but money. I'm still using items that I've gotten many hours ago. Like, yeah.

Binabik15

I AM using the pause mode to plan attacks, I´m not dense, but as I said, as soon as I switch characters all the others start doing stupid shit. Weapon switching, storming off to attack archers or closing in against a 10 feet tall ogre. Smh.

Anyone with a link to a good tutorial about the combat settings or not?

kai3345

Banned
Binabik15 said:
I AM using the pause mode to plan attacks, I´m not dense, but as I said, as soon as I switch characters all the others start doing stupid shit. Weapon switching, storming off to attack archers or closing in against a 10 feet tall ogre. Smh.

Anyone with a link to a good tutorial about the combat settings or not?
You probably haven't set their tactics

Rufus

kai3345 said:
You probably haven't set their tactics
And behaviours. Top right in the tactics screen. This will, for example, keep archers from going into close combat. (To make absolutely sure that they don't do that you can also take away any melee weapons they have.) Just change their behaviour to ranged, tactics to archer and you should be set for a ranged character, for example. (Further tweaking recommended.) For more info, have a look at this article: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Tactics
If things are getting too chaotic still, you should order everyone to hold (via H), they're going to stop walking around, use their ranged weapons and spells and only attack enemies that walk up to them. That should give you back enough control. Keep in mind though that if you order them to attack someone and they go to them and whack them with their sword for example, they will stop attacking as soon as the enemy moves out of range.

cabottemp

Banned
I own the collector's edition of dragon age for ps3 and I'm in love with it. I've finished the game with a dalish elf rogue, and after doing all the origin stories, I'm on my second playthrough which is basically just me making a character ready to import into Awakening.

My ball and chain girlfriend plays some videogames with me (wow, halo, bf1943) and I talked her into trying Dragon Age last night, and she's already sunk 3 and a half hours into it. I'm glad she likes it; I love it when I can share my favorite hobby with her.

In any case, I've known that the PC version of Dragon Age was and will always be "real" version of the game (with that said, no disrespect to those in charge of the console versions, it's still a fantastic game). And I'm getting really antsy sitting here listening to her play her own Grey Warden on my tv while I'm sitting here on my capable notebook lurking on GAF. I want to play, but I don't want to keep her from enjoying it also.

Is there anyone in this thread that own the game on both console and PC? And do you guys think it would be worth it?

I tweeted Jeff Green last night and even he said pc is THE way to go, but I'm slightly hesitant. I mean I don't NEED it at all; I fully enjoy the console version of the game and my girlfriend pre-paid for my copy of Awakening for Valentine's Day, so I'll have that for ps3 as well...but the fact that I could have Dragon Age with me wherever I go is incredibly attractive to me. Should I take the plunge and buy the PC version also?

cabottemp

Banned
i'm having a bitch of a time registering my blood dragon armor. My psn handle is tied to my account and all my trophies for dragon age show up on social.bioware.com but it won't let me link my 360 gamertag to my social.bioware.com account. please help! very much want that blood dragon armor on my 360 :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Argh, I'm playing this for the first time on my HDTV and the audio is skipping, anyone aware of this kind of issue with the PS3 version?.

False alarm. I restarted it and all was well, I thought that my shit might have been fucked up but it's OK.

cabottemp

Banned
Snuggler said:
Argh, I'm playing this for the first time on my HDTV and the audio is skipping, anyone aware of this kind of issue with the PS3 version?.

I never had that issue, best thing I can recommend is making sure your firmware is up to date :-\ sorry dude

So I'm currently running through
mage tower
and decided not to bring a rogue with me. I see all these locked chests littered everywhere. Will there be a chance for me to come back later to unlock these or have I missed my chance?

Gully State said:
mage tower
and decided not to bring a rogue with me. I see all these locked chests littered everywhere. Will there be a chance for me to come back later to unlock these or have I missed my chance?

Yup, after the quest is complete you'll be able to run through it again. In my playthrough there was one chest at the top fo the tower my rogue didn't have enough points in lock picking to open it. Made it a point to go back later only to find nothing but junk. Still bitter about it :D

Gully State said:
mage tower

I am running through there with a rogue and the chests are full of nondescript junk. Leather armor (tier1) kind of stuff

oh good....btw, does itemization get significantly better later on? The gear I'm getting so far isn't very good at all but I'm still fairly early in the game. Also, I'm digging the spell combos but I think bioware really missed out on the opportunity of putting custom animations for spell combos (like dual techs and triple techs in chrono trigger). It would encourage players to explore combos even further.

Ceebs

Gully State said:
oh good....btw, does itemization get significantly better later on? The gear I'm getting so far isn't very good at all but I'm still fairly early in the game. Also, I'm digging the spell combos but I think bioware really missed out on the opportunity of putting custom animations for spell combos (like dual techs and triple techs in chrono trigger). It would encourage players to explore combos even further.
Not really. None of the armor is must have stuff. The DLC and preorder stuff are some of the best items in the game if you save the DLC for late game (it scales a bit).

PS. Here is my Charlies Angels setup I am playing with atm. (Morrigan as a Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage, Leliana as a Spirit Healer/Blood Mage, My character as an Assasin/Ranger and Oghren as Bosley)

Ladies.jpg

charsace

Ceebs said:
Not really. None of the armor is must have stuff. The DLC and preorder stuff are some of the best items in the game if you save the DLC for late game (it scales a bit).

PS. Here is my Charlies Angels setup I am playing with atm. (Morrigan as a Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage, Leliana as a Spirit Healer/Blood Mage, My character as an Assasin/Ranger and Oghren as Bosley)

Ladies.jpg
Which mods changed the look of the characters and where did you get the armor in the middle?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Frak, I just took the Radcliff side quests, and I've been going at it but now I'm at the part
where I have to fight Revenant (I think)
and I can't win at all. I'm at level eight, I don't think there's hope for me so I'll have to go back a few hours.

Ceebs

hateradio said:
Frak, I just took the Radcliff side quests, and I've been going at it but now I'm at the part
where I have to fight Revenant (I think)
and I can't win at all. I'm at level eight, I don't think there's hope for me so I'll have to go back a few hours.
Are you opening the gate to let the soldiers in to help you?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I really want my 2nd specialisation to be blood mage since I did bad things for it and it sounds cool, but is it really worth it? None if it sounds that good and I might be more effective as a spirit healer...I used my first choice on arcane warrior : /.

Ceebs

Snuggler said:
So I really want my 2nd specialisation to be blood mage since I did bad things for it and it sounds cool, but is it really worth it? None if it sounds that good and I might be more effective as a spirit healer...I used my first choice on arcane warrior : /.
Blood Mage is easily the best spec to pair with Arcane Warrior. If you want to be able to cast any spells during combat as an Arcane Warrior you need blood magic.

Yazus

Hi all... I have never played a wRPG in general but this game is the shit, and fuck its so awesome.

I'm currently playing on my bro PC sometimes, and I'm using an human "tank"... i'm on a quest to
save arle eamon from some illness
and I don't think I have really understood how the game works... I'm dying to much in battles. Probably because
1) I never pause
2) I didnt set tactics :lol

I'm a shit at this games....

Should I buy this game for me alone and start playing seriously? I really like this game but I dunno... How much is this game on steam?

Ceebs

Yazus said:
Hi all... I have never played a wRPG in general but this game is the shit, and fuck its so awesome.

I'm currently playing on my bro PC sometimes, and I'm using an human "tank"... i'm on a quest to
save arle eamon from some illness
and I don't think I have really understood how the game works... I'm dying to much in battles. Probably because
1) I never pause
2) I didnt set tactics :lol

I'm a shit at this games....

Should I buy this game for me alone and start playing seriously? I really like this game but I dunno... How much is this game on steam?
It's $50 on Steam. The best advice is to have a mage learn the healing spells and some crowd control spells so you are not fighting 10 things at once.

Good news, everyone! The blu-ray drive on my PS3 died, but the HDD still works fine so I was able to do a complete data transfer to my new PS3 slim, including my copy-protected Dragon-Age save. I was really worried about losing the 50 hours I'd put into DA so far, but I'm up and running on the new console. Yay, something worked!

Top Bottom