• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Cheech

I have 8 hours into my Awakening game (360), and the DA servers were down last night. As a result, I couldn't load my saved game, because it was missing two pieces of DLC content from the original DA. Huh?

Also, it's not just the one save. NONE of the Awakenings saves I've created so far will load. The weird thing is that I'm actually playing off an Awakenings DVD. WTF, Bioware.

I just ordered Awakenings from the ea store using the PAX east code but I'm not touching it until they release a patch. I also rolled my game back to 1.02a after hearing about the constant crashes and bugs that patch 1.03 introduces.

Cheech said:
I have 8 hours into my Awakening game (360), and the DA servers were down last night. As a result, I couldn't load my saved game, because it was missing two pieces of DLC content from the original DA. Huh?

Also, it's not just the one save. NONE of the Awakenings saves I've created so far will load. The weird thing is that I'm actually playing off an Awakenings DVD. WTF, Bioware.

It's a bug. I'm not sure if it works on the 360, but on the PC restarting the game usually fixes it.

Cheech said:

I remember people were having issues like this when Mass Effect 2 was launched, not sure if it was patched yet.

McHuj

HadesGigas said:
http://eastore.ea.com/ enter code PAXEAST842 at checkout for $20 off games $39.95 and up.

Works on every edition Awakening to bring them to $20. PC Origins is $36 standard, so can't get the discount. Digital Deluxe Edition drops to $45. PS3 Origins drops to $25, 360 to $20.

Haven't checked out the shipping costs.

Thanks!

Finally an expansion at an expansion price point.

Weenerz said:
Is it possible to change the spec of my warrior? Like going from dual wield to two-hand?

Awakening added a book you could buy to let you re-spec. But no, not possible in Origins.

You should be able to get proficient in two of the sword styles as a warrior though easy. I went dual wield and sword/shield for mine.

Vamphuntr

Edgeward said:
The new skills you get are really great and make you really overpowered. Like an aura blast freeze spell, regaining all lost stamina, AoE backstab move (not really great but way cool looking), etc. Some of the specialization themselves are good, Keeper is amazing, but others I've found to be a waste, Spirit Warrior ugh.

But all of the new additions do really enchance the combat and because your at high levels, you have a good amount of mana/stamina reserves to play around with them. It's hard going back to Origins to the beginning of the game and using attack for most of a fight.

I agree that the hand of winter spell is game breaking. If you have elemental mastery on you can easily hit everything in the area for 300 dmg if they are not ice resistant. Time spiral was cool too I guess but very expensive to use. I found everything from the Guardian spec to be quite useless. The party buff is not even sustained. Legionnaire was good for the passive bonus. Keeper is god awful. To be able tu use anything in that spell line you must activate a sustained ability that prevent you from moving. Annoying to always turn it on/off to walk again. The others specs I didn't try them much. Shadow seems to be good if you are a stealth rogue but on console this is not easily played.

I do agree that withh more stamina/mana you spam more abilities but at the same time, fight will not take long either. At the 20$ price point mentionned above, it's a good deal. Not so much at 40$

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, Awakening has at least two major quest bugs which are very annoying if you want to see everything.

I also found a bug where it basically played the ending video over and over again on infinite loop.

It's almost like you can't play an RPG without reading boards now, unless you don't care about being screwed over by bugs.

Cep

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I agree that the hand of winter spell is game breaking. If you have elemental mastery on you can easily hit everything in the area for 300 dmg if they are not ice resistant. Time spiral was cool too I guess but very expensive to use. I found everything from the Guardian spec to be quite useless. The party buff is not even sustained. Legionnaire was good for the passive bonus. Keeper is god awful. To be able tu use anything in that spell line you must activate a sustained ability that prevent you from moving. Annoying to always turn it on/off to walk again. The others specs I didn't try them much. Shadow seems to be good if you are a stealth rogue but on console this is not easily played.

I do agree that withh more stamina/mana you spam more abilities but at the same time, fight will not take long either. At the 20$ price point mentionned above, it's a good deal. Not so much at 40$

Shadow is useful to all rogues. The Shadow form ability boosts backstabs.

WaltJay

I started up Awakenings (360) last night and imported my mage. I realize that I can't use the DLC gear, but when I started the expansion, I only had two pieces of equipment. I played the first intro quest with just a hat and ring on. :lol

Should I start over because I really hope that it isn't suppose to be like that. I literally have no gear except for a couple things.

I also noticed that
in the cutscene for the Joining, when the three characters drank from the cup, there was no cup! They just made the motion like they were drinking.

I have a bad feeling this is going to be one buggy ride.

fanboi

Banned
WaltJay said:
I started up Awakenings (360) last night and imported my mage. I realize that I can't use the DLC gear, but when I started the expansion, I only had two pieces of equipment. I played the first intro quest with just a hat and ring on. :lol

Should I start over because I really hope that it isn't suppose to be like that. I literally have no gear except for a couple things.

I also noticed that
in the cutscene for the Joining, when the three characters drank from the cup, there was no cup! They just made the motion like they were drinking.

I have a bad feeling this is going to be one buggy ride.

Gear from the DLC doesn't move on to Awakenings...

WaltJay

fanboi said:
Gear from the DLC doesn't move on to Awakenings...

True, but my mage wasn't wearing any DLC gear, which makes me why he was naked very strange. WTF was he doing in his downtime between Origins and Awakenings? :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NOTE: FEASTDAY COMBO PACK INCLUDES THE CONTENT OF BOTH FEASTDAY GIFTS AND FEASTDAY PRANKS, WHICH ALSO AVAILABLE SEPARATELY. Throughout Thedas, the great holiday of Satinalia is marked by sumptuous feasts, wild celebration, and naming the town fool as ruler for a day. Amid the feasting, it is customary for friends, lovers, and traveling companions to exchange gifts and pranks. To access this content, you will need to be able to visit the merchant Bodahn in the party camp. Includes: All the content from both Feastday Gifts and Feastday Pranks. To find the items: Bodahn stocks the gifts and pranks in his store at the party camp year-round. Requires Dragon Age: Origins save game to play

Weird. Sounds about as essential as the shades and leather jacket pack for Mass Effect.

Anyways, I think I'll be getting Awakenings tomorrow if it's still on sale at the EA store.

I usually don't give a shit about DLC pricing and what not. If I think it's over priced I just ignore it but this FeastDay April Fools Day DLC shit really rubs me the wrong way. Instead of having a little fun with their fans, they decide to turn this into another opportunity to take their money.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Felix Lighter said:
I usually don't give a shit about DLC pricing and what not. If I think it's over priced I just ignore it but this FeastDay April Fools Day DLC shit really rubs me the wrong way. Instead of having a little fun with their fans, they decide to turn this into another opportunity to take their money.

Charging for an April Fool's prank completely destroys the purpose and comes off as extremely tasteless. Seriously, who thought this would be a good idea?

I had leftover points so I bought even though I knew it was a bad idea. And yup, this DLC is pretty terrible even for $3. I don't know how you charge for this. There isn't even any new dialogue for it. EA must be experimenting with how far people will go.

Peff

Basileus777 said:
There isn't even any new dialogue for it. EA must be experimenting with how far people will go.

Huh, how so? I though it strange that they would get all the VAs for this, but the items sounded like they trigger scenes. Nothing happens at all?

Peff said:
Huh, how so? I though it strange that they would get all the VAs for this, but the items sounded like they trigger scenes. Nothing happens at all?

All the items basically do is trigger a short animation that lasts a few seconds. The only dialogue is from Sten and it's an old line.

kai3345

Banned
Holy fuck, I am on the final dungeon of vanilla DA, and holy shit. Shits getting more epic by the minute!

This last dungeon is hard as shit though

Prax

So I finally finished Origins (PC version--even though I was playing in "hard".. the final boss was a real pushover due to my lasting AoE spells) and thought I could move onto the expansion, but I am annoyed by UI/interface features of DA: Awakening...

What's up with every item pick-up leading to a "chest"/"pick what you want to loot" submenu?! It really slows down my game. Really annoying.

And mana clashing constantly crashes my game in both versions randomly (game usually crashes 1 in ever 3 battles). :( I thought it might have been fixed in the expansion, but alas...
I also need the spell-shaping mod for the expansion. I kept forgetting I didn't have it and almost wiped out my party constantly in the beginning area.
And where is my DOG in the expansion?! Don't tell me those 100% loyal canines have really short lifespans or something! Of all the people to show up again...

I don't think I can continue with the expansion until there's a fan-fix/mod/patch for all of those things. It's also messed up that if you try to implement the Auto-Loot mod, you can only do it for the vanilla OR the expansion, not both.

Anyway, in celebration of the 3rd wRPG/cRPG I have ever completed (other two being Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansion Mask of the Betrayer), here's a picture of some of the Dragon Age: Origins cast! (that's my character in the middle as an Arcane Warrior).

Dragon_Prax___Origins_by_Meibatsu.jpg

I totally double-crossed a bunch of people due to my indecision and curiosity, and I also pissed off a bunch of people by trying to be so diplomatic about everything... but it kind of all worked out in the end! And I hope it continues to work out! >_>

Edgeward

Don't know who is next to Loghain, but Jowan is not a permanent companion. Also, nice drawing.

Good way to also celebrate me getting my first platinum with this game. Really could've chosen a less time intensive game to do it with too. :lol No regrets though, throughly enjoyed all of my time with it.

kai3345

Banned
So, theres this bug where in Awakenings, whenever I am on my save file in which I imported my character, Anders will never put his right hand down, its in an L-shape, almost like he is holding an invisible cup. It won't go away and its making all of his cutscene animations look really weird.

This isn't happening on my non-imported character. Anyone know how to fix this? I'm on 360 btw

ElyrionX

Quick question guys. I haven't played much of DA:O and have yet to purchase Awakenings. If I buy Awakening, will I be able to access the new spells and abilities in the Origins game? Basically, is there any reason for me to buy Awakening before I finish Origins?

Mojojo

ElyrionX said:
Quick question guys. I haven't played much of DA:O and have yet to purchase Awakenings. If I buy Awakening, will I be able to access the new spells and abilities in the Origins game? Basically, is there any reason for me to buy Awakening before I finish Origins?
nope

ElyrionX said:
No. But on the PC version you can put a copy of the Ep 1 folder (Awakenings) into the Origins folder (core > override) and get them that way. However, there will be no text for them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I have been really tempted to pick this up, but I have a lot of other games on the plate so what are the chances they will release a Dragon Age GOTY edition in a year or so that has DLC/x-packs? I wish I had waited on Fallout 3 GOTY edition and I don't want this turning out the same.

Stallion Free said:
So I have been really tempted to pick this up, but I have a lot of other games on the plate so what are the chances they will release a Dragon Age GOTY edition in a year or so that has DLC/x-packs? I wish I had waited on Fallout 3 GOTY edition and I don't want this turning out the same.

Pretty sure they will with all the DLC packaged. I am waiting for that as well as the Borderlands GOTY.

Stallion Free said:
Waiting is waiting. You will always get a better deal if you wait. This is EA, shit isn't going out of print. If you are fine with waiting, do it. Well, I say that, but can't you pick up both DAO and Awakening for $20 each from the EA store right now?

Waiting for a GOTY release is a fool's game though, it's just a marketing tactic to move shitty DLC.

Prax

kai3345 said:
Jowan is a recriutable companion!? (or at least I assume that's Jowan)

Haha, I was hoping not to name anyone in the picture so no one had to be spoiled!

Well,
I made Jowan go into the fade to save what's-his-face Connor since I am a redeemer type (or.. force-people-to-clean-up-their-own-messes type!). So since I got to play as him for what I thought was a "significant"amount of time, including the intro when I was a still a circle mage, and he was supposed to be my "friend", I decided to add him to the image. I have no idea what other temporary companion has as significant a part to play.

Also, it was to balance out the composition. There were too many people crammed in on the left side. XD

Additional spoiler talk:
Kind of hope they follow up on him in the sequel or something, as I let the Circle take over his care after reviving Arl Eamon, but I ALSO gave the Circle independence. You guys think they would still tranquilize him anyway? Or maybe he'd escape again?

Edgeward

Prax said:
Additional spoiler talk:
Kind of hope they follow up on him in the sequel or something, as I let the Circle take over his care after reviving Arl Eamon, but I ALSO gave the Circle independence. You guys think they would still tranquilize him anyway? Or maybe he'd escape again?

Regardless if the Circle is independent or not, everyone is still scared shitless about Blood magic so I would think he would be made Tranquil. Also, he could've escaped if you let him go the first chance you got when you let him out of the cell.

I like how easy it is to tell people to fuck off in Awakening. Right now it's just me and mah bear tearing up shit. I didn't even intend to not/un-recruit my party, outside of Nathaniel.

Ponn

Banned
Maybe someone can help me out here. I just cleaned house in Blackmarsh and found this
dock key off of the Baroness dead corpse
but cannot find where to use it.

Peff

Ponn01 said:
Maybe someone can help me out here. I just cleaned house in Blackmarsh and found this
dock key off of the Baroness dead corpse
but cannot find where to use it.

There is a locked door behind the Church, to the right of the opening that led you to the mountains and your objective in that level.

ethelred

I recently picked up the PC version of Dragon Age. I'm sure this has been asked before, but as there are probably always new elements to the answer, I'll ask again: what are the best, most essential, or most interesting mods (with descriptions and links, ideally!)?

Top Bottom