• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Peff

I liked these, some are simple aesthetic effects, some affect the game more deeply, but they're all good improvements:

- Respec Mod: Allows you to always modify any character's stats and abilities. If you think you might have made a mistake by choosing two-handed weapons or some magic branch, this is great.

- Nightmare +: A harder difficulty mode with new mechanics (like Lyrium addiction) and rebalances for mages and weapons. You can also install only what you're interested in.

- Storage Chest: If you don't want to buy Warden's Keep again, or if you do and want even more space, this is a must have.

- Helm removal: Self-Explanatory :lol If you want to always see Alistair and the others when they are carrying a helm, this lets you do that and still get the stat bonus.

-Item Received: Instead of "ITEM GET!!" it says exactly what you got. Pretty useful.

-More Tactics for your allies

-Annoyance remover: No more rocks falling off your characters or huge circles and auras.

I'm sure there have been some interesting mods released lately, but those are the ones I used when I played it a few months ago.

Whoever decided that putting the Fade into the Mage Tower dungeon needs to be yelled at. I stopped playing DA months ago because of it and I'm having a hard time finishing it right now (it's just not interesting). Until the stupid dungeon, I was really enjoying the game.

Owzers

Gully State said:
Whoever decided that putting the Fade into the Mage Tower dungeon needs to be yelled at. I stopped playing DA months ago because of it and I'm having a hard time finishing it right now (it's just not interesting).

It was indeed really really boring and kills my desire to replay Origins. I'm thinking about just selling my game and keeping Awakenings when i get that.

Walshicus

Just started playing the disc based version of Awakening on 360. Anyone else have a problem with the game crashing [screen freezes] in the opening mission just after getting Oghren? Thought it was my 360 but no other game has any issues. I'm using an imported character.

sillymonkey321 said:
It was indeed really really boring and kills my desire to replay Origins. I'm thinking about just selling my game and keeping Awakenings when i get that.

I whole heartedly agree. I was going so strong in the game then hit this spot and it took me like 2 weeks to get the power up to push through it. However I am now through it. Please tell me there are no other "fade" areas within the game.

Hyphen

Gully State said:
Whoever decided that putting the Fade into the Mage Tower dungeon needs to be yelled at. I stopped playing DA months ago because of it and I'm having a hard time finishing it right now (it's just not interesting). Until the stupid dungeon, I was really enjoying the game.

But isn't the Fade supposed to be a place that lacks that sparkle of 'life'. From what I've experienced, in the world of Dragon Age the Fade is/was
the first world created by the Maker. He populated it with 'spirits', but abandoned them when he discovered that although the could alter the Fade, they lacked the ability to 'create' for themselves. They lacked a soul.
And so the Fade is a strange, soulless place. There's probably a lot more to it than that, but that's what I garnered about the Fade whilst playing.

Nevertheless, I understand what you're saying Gully, although I personally didn't enter the Fade expecting anything exciting. Because that would go against the whole mythos of its existence. I think it's supposed to feel like a lifeless place. But, as I said, I know what you mean.

Suburban_Nooblet said:
I whole heartedly agree. I was going so strong in the game then hit this spot and it took me like 2 weeks to get the power up to push through it. However I am now through it. Please tell me there are no other "fade" areas within the game.

But then that would be a spoiler if we told you, wouldn't it?
So, let's just say...
the rest of the game is no worse than the bit you're referring to.

Hyphen said:
But isn't the Fade supposed to be a place that lacks that sparkle of 'life'. From what I've experienced, in the world of Dragon Age the Fade is/was
the first world created by the Maker. He populated it with 'spirits', but abandoned them when he discovered that although the could alter the Fade, they lacked the ability to 'create' for themselves. They lacked a soul.
And so the Fade is a strange, soulless place. There's probably a lot more to it than that, but that's what I garnered about the Fade whilst playing.

Nevertheless, I understand what you're saying Gully, although I personally didn't enter the Fade expecting anything exciting. Because that would go against the whole mythos of its existence. I think it's supposed to feel like a lifeless place. But, as I said, I know what you mean.

But then that would be a spoiler if we told you, wouldn't it?
So, let's just say...
the rest of the game is no worse than the bit you're referring to.

Thanks. good enough for me!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hrmm, really want to jump into Awakenings, but with all of the glitch complaints I am holding off. Just how bad is it? Also, is it worthwhile to just start a new hero and not transfer since the transfer stuff is said to be so half-baked/unpolished?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Brandon F said:
Hrmm, really want to jump into Awakenings, but with all of the glitch complaints I am holding off. Just how bad is it? Also, is it worthwhile to just start a new hero and not transfer since the transfer stuff is said to be so half-baked/unpolished?

Finished it today. Game would crash to desktop at random moments quite often. Probably died on me a good 10-12 times in the 3-4 hours I put into it today.

No complaints here, though. I save like a whacko (Pc version.)

Game loads up pretty damn fast, so it takes a good 10 seconds to get back into the action for me. Only real complaint would be the sluggishness that happens after playing for a bit. The game (both original and expansion) just seems to soak up too much memory over the time of your playthrough and needs to restart to give it a breather.

Quick edit: Let it be known that I grabbed Awakening for 20 bucks and I feel that it was totally worth that price. I, however, would not buy it at 40 bucks. It's great fun, but just not enough to warrant that price.

Less quick edit: I actually replayed Origins just for the expansion (Sacrificed my original toon) and I sort of felt that it wasn't worth the effort. I palyed a Shadow Assassin and I found it a lot of fun, but I may jump back in with a new warden and play a different class.

Owzers

Suburban_Nooblet said:

There is one more small Fade area that i had a hard time killing the boss at outside of the Mage Tower fade, but i bet other people didnt' have as much trouble. Mage Tower Fade is definitely the worst part of the game, outside the dragon boss fights ( which can easily be adjusted by putting the difficulty down to Easy.......if needed).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Peff said:
There is a mod to skip that too
I thought that Fade part wasn't bad actually, even though I hate the blurry aspect to it, it was something different than the rest of the game. It almost felt like an action/adventure since you shape shift and use the different forms to complete it, plus it was really easy. :D

In any case, I finished the game, can't say I liked it too much after
The Landsmeet
, I'm not sure why; it just wasn't an interesting thing. Really great game though, to me the only things that could have been improved were the fake [UK] English accents (well, voice work actually) and the textures.

I suppose the reason Flemith
sent Morrigan along was to have a arch-demon child? I didn't do it w/her, nothx, Alistar did ... really interesting twist there, I suppose.

I also started Awakenings, I think the whole
"convert anyone you want" into a Gray Warden ends up being trite, since it seems like really all they have to do is drink blood and they're in ... seemed like so much more in Origins
:lol
Would have rather had it the old way, being the primary warden with a crew

I'm curious if they'll just release more expansions for DAO, and then part ways w/it in DA2 w/a new cast and country, or maybe a few hundred years later for another blight.

Beat Awakening earlier. Very satisfied. Took me almost 20 hours. I almost prefer that length than 60+ hours of endlessness. I don't even fucking remember how DAO took that long, thinking back on it. Even counting the thirty hours spent running around Orzammar it shouldn't be that long. The three story segments in Dawakenings were so much better than DAO's. The quests felt improved too. Also it was cute having a true MMO-style "stupid gimmick" boss. Only thing I missed was the difficulty, although I found another kind of enjoyment in designing tactic sheets and using absurd arcane warrior builds.

Vamphuntr said:
I think there is a total of 3 choices from DAO that carry in awakening and only one affects cutscenes. There seems no point in playing as the Orlesian Wardens (aside if you mysteriously lost your save). I think from what I've seen it changes 2-3 dialogue in the game. They never talk about your previous exploits.
Maybe it's because my main character was a humie, but I felt it was very connected with what I had done.

Oh and playing ME2 between this and DAO really highlights how shitty it is that none of the NPCs know your name. So many conversations felt strained because they were struggling with that. Felt especially silly because Humie characters *have* to be Couslands, and you are like the most famous person in the country.

is there a way to speed up stealth movement for a newly created awakenings rogue at some point?

in the original, I got that blood power unlocked in the DLC for faster movement while stealthed.

now my original rogue character is on another hard drive (20GB out of space), so is there a way to get a new character fast stealth movement? does that old blood power work if I import the old character (annoying as means switch hard drive)?

Alucrid

Banned
So I got one of those books in Awakening to redo all my talents and stuff. Problem is I can't figure out how to use it. I can't press A like skill tomes.

hateradio

Sir Fragula said:
Which in particular?
To me NPC's were the worst because I could immediately tell that they weren't native to the UK (or non North American), which took me out a few times. I think most of them voiced by American (or Canadian) actors trying to fake it, so didn't work for me.

hateradio said:
To me NPC's were the worst because I could immediately tell that they weren't native to the UK (or non North American), which took me out a few times. I think most of them voiced by American (or Canadian) actors trying to fake it, so didn't work for me.

Maybe that's just exactly what a Ferelden accent is supposed to sound like!

hateradio

HadesGigas said:
Maybe that's just exactly what a Ferelden accent is supposed to sound like!
That is the worst thing I've ever heard ... aside from those accents :lol

scissorfight said:
i'd really like a way to turn off sustained spell graphical effects (360 version).
my AW/BM has so many stacked that it affects the framerate.
Maybe you can uncheck the fame buffer option? Although that will affect the whole game.

scissorfight said:
i'd really like a way to turn off sustained spell graphical effects (360 version).

Unfortunately, you can't get rid of those visual effects on the 360 version.

Zakkath

Son of Godzilla said:
Beat Awakening earlier. Very satisfied. Took me almost 20 hours. I almost prefer that length than 60+ hours of endlessness. I don't even fucking remember how DAO took that long, thinking back on it. Even counting the thirty hours spent running around Orzammar it shouldn't be that long. The three story segments in Dawakenings were so much better than DAO's. The quests felt improved too. Also it was cute having a true MMO-style "stupid gimmick" boss. Only thing I missed was the difficulty, although I found another kind of enjoyment in designing tactic sheets and using absurd arcane warrior builds.

I enjoyed it a lot too, but I also noticed the drop in difficulty. I mean, I was playing on Hard and I was steamrolling everything like I'd be playing DAO on easy mode. The only thing that disappointed me with the expansion was the ending. They certainly could have put some effort there. I won't go over it not to spoil it, but if you've finished it, you know what I mean.

I'll play it again with my warrior and I know I'll make another complete playthrough with a rogue at some point. I really like this game. I only hope that they'll fix some of its issues for consoles too one day.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Getting constant crashing at the
last Blackmarsh fight
. Seems like the effects are triggering it. Never had any crashes with the base game or Awakenings otherwise.

win 7 64 bit
gtx 295

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rubezh said:
I'm thinking about getting Dragon Age. Should I get Awakening at the same time or leave it?

There is really no benefit to getting it at the same time. You may as well wait on it and see if you can get it for less later on. The original game will take you a decent amount of time to play through.

Lime

AstroLad said:
Getting constant crashing at the
last Blackmarsh fight
. Seems like the effects are triggering it. Never had any crashes with the base game or Awakenings otherwise.

win 7 64 bit
gtx 295

Many, many people are having the same problem. It's the new patch, probably the supposedly memory leak fix, that is causing the issue. I had no trouble playing vanilla DA, but post-Awakening, the game crashed constantly during fights, especially when involving magic.

I wonder if the bonus stats in the Fade were meant as compensation for how tedious it was, although my biggest problem with it was the goddamn blurriness. I wish developers would stop smearing the screen to all hell to make things appear all dreamlike, because it then becomes a struggle for me to make it through before I get a migraine.

AstroLad said:
Ugh. Guess I'll have to put it aside until the next patch comes out then. Was quite enjoying it too.
I was getting crashes to desktop all the time too until I disabled autosave and all the options in the online menu.

Haven't had a crash since. I'd recommend trying that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's weird (and common apparently) because it's only in this one area. Ten or so hours in and the first place I've ever crashed.

Rufus

Hope that's worked out when my copy of Awakening finally arrives. Nothing destroys the experience more than random crashes. I don't know if foreseeable crashing is any better.

ElyrionX

Finally got back to this game today. Another question, are the Warden's Keep and Return to Ostager DLC worth the points? Do they add stuff to Origins that I can access any time in the main game?

Peff

I think Warden's Keep is worth it, it has the storage chest, which is useful for any system, the quest itself is pretty nice and it allows you to obtain the best sword in the game. Ostagar on the other hand is cheaper but also poorer, it's just a small quest in repeated environments with decent gear, though the plot is connected with the main game in a sense.

Sigh

So...I bought this game at launch (Xbox 360), put like 65 hours in and got to the end.....then I stopped playing for a few months.

I really like the game, was pretty engaged in the story and the world, enjoy the combat and characters, etc etc etc, but around the end of January I just got really burned out and went on to play other games for awhile. Than ME2 came out in February and I was into that for some time.

I wanted to go back and beat the game once and for all today....but now it keeps freezing. I've tried installing, uninstalling...the game simply won't let me finish. I am literally at the very end. I only have 2 saves, one of them is
right before the lands meet where you confront Loghain
and the other is a little bit after that, right before you talk to Morrigan about
her having Alistairs child
. The game keeps freezing right at the
Denerim battle where your entire party is with you.
I don't really know what to do, I'm pretty pissed off as I feel like this long ass investment won't see it's payoff.

My system is fine, no problems with any other games. And this game did not have any problems before, I don't see how putting it down for awhile could make any difference but it seems like this is what happened.

Anyone have any suggestions? I really just want to beat this and get it out of my system, would hate to have to read/youtube the endings and not even get the achievements for them.

rogue74

scissorfight said:

Me too. It also makes the characters look silly during conversations/cut scenes.

jabipun

Quick question.

I downloaded Awakenings via Xbox Live (should I have gotten the disc retail version instead? i.e in references to glitches or what not)

I say this because my downloaded content (i.e, blood dragon armor etc. etc. and some weapons) aren't showing up in my import (game-clear) character.

I pre-ordered DAO:Awakenings after loving every minute of DAO:pS3.

I have been reading mixed reviews of Awakenings and a lot of people saying it wasn't worth the 40 bones. I can still return it if I act quickly, and then pick it up used for less. I don't care about going through the hassle to save 15 bucks unless I'm really going to feel like I wasted the 40. Any help from those that have completed it?

jabipun said:
Quick question.

I downloaded Awakenings via Xbox Live (should I have gotten the disc retail version instead? i.e in references to glitches or what not)

I say this because my downloaded content (i.e, blood dragon armor etc. etc. and some weapons) aren't showing up in my import (game-clear) character.

Most of the DLC loot doesn't work in Awakening. Stuff from Return To Ostagar should work, but not Warden's Keep or any of the promotional stuff.

.... quick q...

I downloaded the stone prisoner on PS3... but it doesn't seem to appear under the downloadable content quests?

how do i access it in the game?

Gestahl

NinjaFusion said:
.... quick q...

I downloaded the stone prisoner on PS3... but it doesn't seem to appear under the downloadable content quests?

Check the orange locations on the map, those are DLC.

If it didn't download correctly, the DLC location won't be there.

Patryn

NinjaFusion said:
.... quick q...

Yeah, there should be a new orange marker on the map just south of Orzammar. You go there and talk to a guy and he'll direct you to the village that has Shale.

If the orange icon isn't there, the DLC did not install correctly. You can double-check that you did download it by choosing Downloaded Content on the main menu. If it's not listed, you don't have it. Try DLing it again.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Nameless said:
Finally picked this bad boy up.

Thinking of going Warrior, per usual. Any advice?

Warrior is alright. (I found tanking pretty fun, 2H is kinda boring)

Mage is extremely overpowered. (Arcane warriors are basically invincible titans)

Rogue is inbetween. (Stealth, great DPS+Utility, don't need a lock picker in your party either)

Top Bottom