• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden |OT| of simply "the best DS game you'll never play"

Takao

Banned
zIjzK.png

VVlZO.png

EH3xj.png

aBziS.png

NcI6g.png

1Vuan.png

Ah90L.png

Teknoman

I wonder how import friendly this game is...have no idea why they arent releasing it here either.

Honestly hoping for a 3DS game at some point, since 3D beams would just be awesome.

Takao

Banned
Teknoman said:
I wonder how import friendly this game is...have no idea why they arent releasing it here either.

My copy finally came in the mail a few hours ago. It's not that difficult to get around the menu and story mode. I do feel like I'll need some more time to get used to the fighting system, but it's certainly fun.

There's also a translation patch for the menus and commands out there as well. I don't have a DS flashcard so that's no use to me since I ain't playing this on my PC.

Teknoman said:
Honestly hoping for a 3DS game at some point, since 3D beams would just be awesome.

Scamco gave a generic "Dragon Ball game for 3DS" at E3 2010, but nothing has materialized. The recent games selling so poorly are likely playing a hand. As well, Game Republic - the studio who made 3 of the Dragon Ball games on DS, no longer exists.

Yoschi

DAAAMN whoaa this game looks awesome! Where can buy english version?

there is no english!?

let import me this game!

Takao said:
... Game Republic - the studio who made 3 of the Dragon Ball games on DS, no longer exists.

NOOooo :(

...but seriously now, where can I import this game? Play-Asia ain't got it...

Takao

Banned
I believe YesAsia still has this game in stock.

I got my copy for $26 on eBay, so I'm pretty happy with that, haha.

Takao

Banned
Oh my goddddd this is sssoooo goood. This game is obviously a labour of love. I'm still early on in the game, but the stages evolve as the story progresses. For example, in the beginning when you're on the Plains, everything is safe except for the roaming dinosaur. But when the Saiyans land in the story the background of this same area is charred, and in the distance you see the Saiyan space pods.

The fighting system is starting to click with me as well. Think of it as a slightly more complex Budokai.

Why did Game Republic have to leave us? :(

DarkKyo

Wow, this looks absolutely awesome. Must play. I used to loooove Dragonball Z.

Edit: I'm really impressed by the roster.. and character customization?! I am there.

Nix

Banned
How's the gameplay OP? Interesting?

I really do like the portable Dragon balls, alot more than the console ones, ever since Budokai 3 era's ended. Legacy of Goku and...well, now I'm going off on a tangent, but portable Dragon ball games fucking rock!

FreeMufasa

Takao said:
Oh my goddddd this is sssoooo goood. This game is obviously a labour of love. I'm still early on in the game, but the stages evolve as the story progresses. For example, in the beginning when you're on the Plains, everything is safe except for the roaming dinosaur. But when the Saiyans land in the story the background of this same area is charred, and in the distance you see the Saiyan space pods.

The fighting system is starting to click with me as well. Think of it as a slightly more complex Budokai.

Why did Game Republic have to leave us? :(

Damn, I really want this game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Great OP.

I like how it has the Kai moniker even though 1/3 of the characters are from the Buu saga.

DeVeAn

Damn, too bad it's import. Wish they would just bring over but I doubt it since they would have to pay the voice actors. Are there voice overs?

ampere

Looks neat, Jump Superstars and Jump Ultimate Stars were two of my most played DS games early on in the system's lifetime

The only problem would be finding someone to battle, I got lucky and had a couple friends who bought the Jump games

Takao

Banned
Nix said:
How's the gameplay OP? Interesting?

I really do like the portable Dragon balls, alot more than the console ones, ever since Budokai 3 era's ended. Legacy of Goku and...well, now I'm going off on a tangent, but portable Dragon ball games fucking rock!

The fighting reminds me a lot of the Budokai games, where it's really easy to pick up and play. The punch, kick, block, ki blast and grab components are done with the buttons, where as moves like the Ka-Me-Ha-Me-Ha, and special grabs are done with a touch screen activation. I still haven't figured out to pull off my ultimate yet, but I've seen Piccolo's a lot (it's pretty serious for this game as he'll shoot his Makkankasoppo through you, then strike the body).

There's some what-if storylines (for example I was Nappa and just killed
both Goku, and Vegeta
), and a bunch of environment nods that make this game feel very warm, and pleasant.

The game's theme is an instrumental version of Dragon Soul.

DeVeAn said:
Damn, too bad it's import. Wish they would just bring over but I doubt it since they would have to pay the voice actors. Are there voice overs?

Yes, there are voice overs in both battle, and select lines in the story mode cutscenes. This may be a reason why Scamco decided against localization. Though they did dub Tenkaichi Tag Team for PSP last year, which has more voice acting than this so far.

Andrex said:
I like how it has the Kai moniker even though 1/3 of the characters are from the Buu saga.

Haha, well this game came out before we knew what was going to happen to Kai.

8BitsAtATime said:
I wish there was some of the movie characters, Lord Slug and Cooler would have been nice. It still looks cool, i might import it.

Broly is in it, lol.

Big One

Banned
Yeah this is a VERY good game. Haven't collected all of the clothing pieces yet though.

It's too bad none of the Dragonball characters were adapted into this engine cause it's really fantastic

Takao

Banned
Big One said:
It's too bad none of the Dragonball characters were adapted into this engine cause it's really fantastic

It is odd, given I'm willing to say this is a modified version of their Origins/Dragon Ball DS engine. I'm guessing they just didn't have enough time, or Scamco wanted them to push Kai's story.

8BitsAtATime said:
but...his power is maximum

Ive never cared much for him.

Don't worry, I don't like Broly either.

Takao

Banned
Owlowiscious said:
What happened to Kai?

Kai has finished broadcast in Japan since April. It ended in controversy. First off, we started hearing rumblings that Dragon Ball Kai will not cover the Boo saga from voice actors hoping they'll get to work with each other again. Then the series composer was noted as being found out as a plagiarist, and thus all of Kai's music had to be replaced with the Z score. It is now confirmed Kai ends at the end of the Cell saga with episode 98. The earthquake and tsunami rock Japan. Kai's broadcast misses a week due to news coverage. Kai's TV broadcast ends at episode 97 as Toei and Fuji TV scramble to make the premiere of their One Piece x Toriko hour long special (Toriko being the series replacing Kai) work. Episode 98 is now a "Bonus" episode on the home video release (it's no longer listed as Kai 98). It's half clipshow, half filler guide, only partially related to the story Kai was trying to make.

DarkKyo

Takao said:
Kai has finished broadcast in Japan since April. It ended in controversy. First off, we started hearing rumblings that Dragon Ball Kai will not cover the Boo saga from voice actors hoping they'll get to work with each other again. Then the series composer was noted as being found out as a plagiarist, and thus all of Kai's music had to be replaced with the Z score. It is now confirmed Kai ends at the end of the Cell saga with episode 98. The earthquake and tsunami rock Japan. Kai's broadcast misses a week due to news coverage. Kai's TV broadcast ends at episode 97 as Toei and Fuji TV scramble to make the premiere of their One Piece x Toriko hour long special (Toriko being the series replacing Kai) work. Episode 98 is now a "Bonus" episode on the home video release (it's no longer listed as Kai 98). It's half clipshow, half filler guide, only partially related to the story Kai was trying to make.
What a sad fate. Thanks for the history lesson, sounds like they just couldn't catch a break... :/

Takao

Banned
It's crazy. The first Dragon Ball game to not get localized in 15 years is arguably one of the best.

Takao

Banned
Kanzenshuu finally reviewed the game:

It almost feels cruel to deliver this message to the average fan: Ultimate Butōden is the best game for this franchise in years, and is the best game for this franchise that you have not played.

With the exception of some forgettable music tracks (almost blasphemous to hear in a game given a “Butōden” title), everything screams love, quality, and attention to detail. The character models and stages are detailed and vibrant. The cast of characters delivers fan-favorites and surprises alike. The story mode delivers both the basics and extra scenarios above and beyond what has ever been written in another Dragon Ball game — the “What If?” stories are so damn funny that you will want to revisit them multiple times.

Does it have its downsides? Sure. The story mode will really only last you a few hours, there is no online play (or single-cart multiplay), and while the fighting engine is a clear step up from some of the franchise’s recent fare, it is not about to set the world on fire. That all being said, the amount of love it dishes out to you more than makes up for it, and you will want to come back again and again to unlock those extra clothing accessories and items.

Ultimate Butōden is not just a good Dragon Ball video game, it is a good video game in general. It is a crime that it has not been localized outside of Japan, and it is a crime you are not playing it right now.

I completely missed this game somehow so I am going to have to thank the guy that linked to this thread in the Kinect thread. Sounds like that was a huge mistake which I might have to rectify with a trip to DenDen Town this weekend. I have been on a little bit of a DBZ kick anyway by renting the Movie dvds the last few weeks.

I wonder if it will be tough to find and if it will be cheap. hehe.

Seik

Banned
They better bring this game here, I Ultimate Tenkaichi was such a let down. I'm hungry for some new good DB action!

If not, damn you Region Lock!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
They better bring this game here, I Ultimate Tenkaichi was such a let down. I'm hungry for some new good DB action!

This game is on the ds, As long as it's not DSI enhanced or if it is and you own an original DS or DS lite, you can play it.

Speaking of this game, anyone know where I can find it cheap? The cheapest I found was on ebay for $75 used D:

Takao

Banned

As mentioned, there's no region lock for this title. I've imported and played it fine on North American units. It's just a plain DS game.

As for a localization? That window has shut. This is the first Dragon Ball home console game in 15 years to not get localized (Wonderswan game excluded because it was on the Wonderswan).

Kenka

According to Garaph, it sold only 75k. If half of what you guys say is true, then it's def' a shame :-(

Seik

Banned
This game is on the ds, As long as it's not DSI enhanced or if it is and you own an original DS or DS lite, you can play it.

Speaking of this game, anyone know where I can find it cheap? The cheapest I found was on ebay for $75 used D:

As mentioned, there's no region lock for this title. I've imported and played it fine on North American units. It's just a plain DS game.

As for a localization? That window has shut. This is the first Dragon Ball home console game in 15 years to not get localized (Wonderswan game excluded because it was on the Wonderswan).

Oh shit, I just realized it was a DS game, for some reason I had 3DS in mind.

My bad, sorry guys. I'll import this one real soon then.

ant1532

Banned
It's crazy. The first Dragon Ball game to not get localized in 15 years is arguably one of the best.

its 2013 and this still never came out here. the fuck. i played this and it is honestly one of the best DBZ games made(this and budokai 2-3) Fuck man, they need to remake this fore the release of the Buu saga of kai coming out here.

Top Bottom