• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Morlas

yeah if goku was no stronger than he had been before then he wouldn't have even phased Jiren with ultra instinct plus they showed off his increased speed on his first move when he went to kick Jiren

Not sure if it was posted or not

monaka___ultra_instinct_by_greytonano-dbqylkj.jpg

This is amazing lol

was the line where candy vegtto calls himself a jawbreaker in the original dbz subs? that's a great line lol

random question, i know, but i am watching through the buu arc right now lol

OmegaDL50

Jiren has an attack with his eyes correct. Or at least he uses his eyes when he apparently gets somewhat serious.

I wonder if this was an immediate tell of a potential weakness. Since Jiren widens his eyes to do his invisible eye force push type move. I figure Goku might have put two and two together and it would have been a golden opportunity to use Solar Flare.

Now that I said it, I want to see Goku use Solar Flare to counter Jiren's Eye Attack and if this leads to some sort of chink in Jiren's super stoic armor.

Ashodin

Jiren has an attack with his eyes correct. Or at least he uses his eyes when he apparently gets somewhat serious.

I wonder if this was an immediate tell of a potential weakness. Since Jiren widens his eyes to do his invisible eye force push type move. I figure Goku might have put two and two together and it would have been a golden opportunity to use Solar Flare.

Now that I said it, I want to see Goku use Solar Flare to counter Jiren's Eye Attack and if this leads to some sort of chink in Jiren's super stoic armor.

We still have yet to see Steel Skin too!

Vegeta and Cabba is more like the son he wished Trunks would be

oooooOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Yeah I can see this as one of the reasons of why kid Trunks doesn't get more focus (thank god for Future Trunks)

Cabba ruined both Tarbles and Trunks
You know what is a nice interaction? Gohan and Goten. Brother interactions are rare af in DB.
That relationship died the moment Goten told Gohan the Great Saiyaman outfit was lame

Another GT interview popped up: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translati...-book-dragon-ball-q-atsushi-maekawa-story-qa/

Some insightful stuff here. Personally sad about some of the dramatic stuff they had written out that got scrapped.

What were some concepts and such that unfortunately got shelved?
I was given quite a bit of freedom working on GT, so aside from whether they were animated or not, the ideas were limitless. For each character, plenty of subplots existed that never made it to the screen.
For instance, in Gohan’s case, there was apparently so much as an “Ultimate Gohan” concept in Dragon Ball Z, where he was a super-warrior with might surpassing Goku, but in GT, he’s a scholar who’s given up fighting almost entirely. But for someone who had given up fighting like that to return to the front lines, I thought that naturally there needed to be quite a bit of drama involved.

Around the Super 17 arc in the animation, he came back as a super-warrior all of a sudden, but actually, I personally wanted to put in a heroic episode telling the reason he started fighting again. For instance, people he loved, like Videl, had been hurt, and when in the depths of anguish, he happened to open up his wardrobe, inside was his dōgi from fondly-remembered times. Together with the line, “To think there’d come a day I’d wear this again…”, he brushes off Chi-Chi, who in tears is trying to stop him, and makes a shocking, lightning entrance on the battlefield. Considering the status of the character, I wanted to spend one or two episodes showing that level of resolve, and I recall having even written the plot for it. But it’s a subplot that diverges from the main story, I guess you could say, so due to various circumstances, it never came to fruition, and it ended up stopping at the level of, he takes off his glasses, and takes on the eyes of a warrior. (laughs)

I can’t tell everything, but including both things that made it to animation and things that were shelved, I believe that GT is the crystallization of all the ideas that were spun together like that in that atmosphere of freedom.

Why, to the very end, didn’t Piccolo participate in the battles?
Because of connections going back to Dragon Ball Z, if Vegeta is a character who appears in relation to Goku, then Piccolo is a character who should appear in relation to Gohan. In parts, there were those sorts of scenes where Gohan and Piccolo interact with each other, but GT comes to focus around the story of Goku and Vegeta. So, hypothetically, if GT had gone forward with Gohan being depicted as the focus, it might have become a story where Piccolo had a flashy, big role to play. (laughs)

SON OF A FUCKING BITCH.

It’s kinda funny in hindsight now tho those two are two attached I feel I mean I get it it totally makes sens but than you read shit like that and wonder if it’s worth it
He has a father,mother, wife, daughter and lil bro they could’ve done that with so what a weird excuse honestly

Skeeter49

The biggest thing that pissed me off with Piccolo in GT, was when he shows up after Baby possesses Gohan, says he's going to stop him, and then Baby Gohan one shots him.

HeroR

Maybe these two characters shouldn't be attached at the hip

Yeah. It's pretty sad that these two characters can't seem to function on their own. The same with Vegeta to an extent. Him always being attached to Goku is old.

The biggest thing that pissed me off with Piccolo in GT, was when he shows up after Baby possesses Gohan, says he's going to stop him, and then Baby Gohan one shots him.

That wasn't the problem. The problem was that Piccolo completely disappeared and only returned to die in a stupid sacrifice.

Skeeter49

#MakeSupertheVegetaandRoshishow.

Yeah. It's pretty sad that these two characters can't seem to function on their own. The same with Vegeta to an extent. Him always being attached to Goku is old.

That wasn't the problem. The problem was that Piccolo completely disappeared and only returned to die in a stupid sacrifice.
For sure that was shit as well. Then the only thing they do with Piccolo that's interesting is incredibly stupid. The connecting attena's with Dende to open up a portal out of hell.

OmegaDL50

You know what's screwed up about Piccolo in GT is when he got trapped in Hell.

Yet, Goku managed to fall off of Snakeway ended up in the same situation. Yeah instead of having to do some sort of focused chant with Dende, couldn't Goku have, ya know told Piccolo about the same exit he used out of King Yemma's desk, and then just use the instantaneous teleport (instant transmission) back to Earth.

Talk about a obviously ignored loophole, bah.

Zeno Delete, indeed!

HeroR

#MakeSupertheVegetaandRoshishow.

For sure that was shit as well. Then the only thing they do with Piccolo that's interesting is incredibly stupid. The connecting attena's with Dende to open up a portal out of hell.

I had no problem with that. My problem is why did Piccolo have to blow up heaven to go to hell because Yema decided to be a jerk and why was he stuck in hell.

Honestly, it always felt like the writers of GT didn't like Piccolo all that much.

kunonabi

I had no problem with that. My problem is why did Piccolo have to blow up heaven to go to hell because Yema decided to be a jerk and why was he stuck in hell.

Honestly, it always felt like the writers of GT didn't like Piccolo all that much.

They didn't really seem to like anyone outside of Goku.

HeroR

They didn't really seem to like anyone outside of Goku.

I would say they liked Pan, they just couldn't write her and decided to put her in the damsel role, and Trunks in the first arc, even if they decided to make him into Future Trunks-lite. And from the little time they gave Uub, they did make him powerful by given Baby trouble after he stomped Super Saiyan 3 Goku and he one-shotted Rilde who was given Gohan problems.

Goku, while he got primary focused, was purposely hit with the nerf bat, so their loved for Goku wasn't all good for him.

NeonZ

I would say they liked Pan, they just couldn't write her and decided to put her in the damsel role, and Trunks in the first arc, even if they decided to make him into Future Trunks-lite. And from the little time they gave Uub, they did make him powerful by given Baby trouble after he stomped Super Saiyan 3 Goku and he one-shotted Rilde who was given Gohan problems.

Goku, while he got primary focused, was purposely hit with the nerf bat, so their loved for Goku wasn't all good for him.

Pan was a damsel to make Goku look good though.

Uub is kind of odd, because he initially is treated decently compared to the other characters when he's on screen, but then during the Super 17 battle they throw all that away and it stays like that up to the end (he kicks him, rather than using a ki blast, and yet it doesn't even make him flinch, while Kid Goku throws him around the world, and then in the Omega Shenlong battle Uub runs away with Pan while saying that they can't compare to the Super Saiyans which just makes no sense at all).

HeroR

Pan was a damsel to make Goku look good though.

Uub is kind of odd, because he initially is treated decently compared to the other characters when he's on screen, but then during the Super 17 battle they throw all that away and it stays like that up to the end (he kicks him, rather than using a ki blast, and yet it doesn't even make him flinch, while Kid Goku throws him around the world, and then in the Omega Shenlong battle Uub runs away with Pan while saying that they can't compare to the Super Saiyans which just makes no sense at all).

That's what I said. They made her a damsel to make Goku looked good, but they did give her some moments.

Kid Goku, despite being a nerf, got extremely overpowered in the Super 17 and the Shadow Dragons Saga. That line "can't compare to the Super Saiyans", I honestly don't remember that line, but it is stupid since Uub should be stronger than any Super Saiyan outside of Super Saiyan 4 since he did better against Baby then Super Saiyan 3 Goku and he one-shotted a person who gave Super Saiyan Gohan problems. Even funnier when you considered that Kid Goku in base beat the crap out of Super Saiyan Goten and Gohan at the same time in the Baby Saga.

kunonabi

These interviews only continue to prove GT was a bad show and that no matter its flaws Super keeps making up for it.

eh, GT had it's moments and I much prefer the actual broadstrokes of what it tried to do more than what Super has put out. GT just had a terrible time with the villains outside of Nova Shenron and pretty much rushed out the more interesting elements so it could just rehash Z poorly.

Skeeter49

My issue with GT was how rushed and fast paced it was. Yet even with it being a fast pace, things still felt dragged out. There was no time for character development, for slice of life episodes.

The closest we got was some Pan and Goten stuff.

kunonabi

My issue with GT was how rushed and fast paced it was. Yet even with it being a fast pace, things still felt dragged out. There was no time for character development, for slice of life episodes.

The closest we got was some Pan and Goten stuff.

The entire super 17 arc should have never been made. Spending that time on the initial arc and the dragons would have been so much better. The super 17 arc was 100% garbage anyway.

Skeeter49

i will never forgive them for not having Pan go super saiyan

Every episode I would convince myself, "it's going to happen in the next one."

I remember there was one episode where Pan had a big NEP focus, and I was like, "this is the episode, it's finally going to happen. Pan is either going SSJ or getting Ultimate."

HeroR

The entire super 17 arc should have never been made. Spending that time on the initial arc and the dragons would have been so much better. The super 17 arc was 100% garbage anyway.

Except the Super 17 arc directly connects to the Shadow Dragons.

Top Bottom