• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

HeroR

Just to be clear we’re talking about fans in general right not here? Cuz a lot of ppl in here been tearing that manga apart since day one like the anime was a sacred cow

For the most part, anyone who defend the anime over the manga get mock, outside of this forum where the anime is widely preferred and I have honestly never seen anyone here or otherwise treat the anime as a sacred crow since even people who preferred the anime have no problem listed all the anime's flaws, especially in animation, although less recently. On Kanzenshuu, good luck criticizing the manga without the same people defending everything about it using headcanon, while putting down the anime even if they have the same flaws as the manga. It's a bit more even money on Reddit.

I hope you're both right
You’re a monster it’s gonna be piccolo

For the most part, anyone who defend the anime over the manga get mock, outside of this forum where the anime is widely preferred and I have honestly never seen anyone here or otherwise treat the anime as a sacred crow since even people who preferred the anime have no problem listed all the anime's flaws, especially in animation, although less recently. On Kanzenshuu, good luck criticizing the manga without the same people defending everything about it using headcanon, while putting down the anime even if they have the same flaws as the manga. It's a bit more even money on Reddit.
Well that’s interesting should check around more my impression was it was liked very much but that was solely based off of here

So GoDs are banned from the tournament because they are too good but it is okay for Jiren,
who is stronger than a GoD is okay? Maybe that's how they will deal with him in the manga lol. Zeno will ban him.

The new rules will balance things out. No flying, ring out is the only way to lose. And for the other person who said it,
Goku clearly suggested that the other Gods of Destruction were evidence he has a very long way to go still. So even though Goku and Toppo started using the power of the gods in their fight, it was apparently still not at that level.

Also, the manga had more or less the same outcome just handled differently. The implication is clearly that both are somewhere in the same ballpark of one another with both clearly having more power to reveal.

NeonZ

People keep saying that, but it really isn't. Like how did Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta match Super Saiyan 1/2 Black when Super Saiyan 2 Trunks is equal to Super Saiyan 3 Goku and Black beat the shit out of Super Saiyan 2 Trunks in base.

Vegeta only acknowledged Black having enough power to beat Trunks once he creates that barrier that stops his blasts, so he was holding back during their entire skirmish there. After Black does that, and Vegeta acknowledges how he understands why Trunks can't beat him, he immediately goes Blue. It's stupid (since it means that SSJ Black during most of the battle was weaker than the Base Black that faced Trunks in the first chapters), but it's not a "plothole" and the anime has cases of senseless "holding back" much more often.

Better, how the hell did Vegeta's Gamma attack completely wasted two Merged Zamasus when it took Mastered Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku just to match one?

It's clearly intended to be the "next" Final Flash, and the Final Flash itself was significantly higher than Vegeta's level when used back in the Cell Saga.

And why is sucking in the aura of any form makes your strength jumped so much?

What kind of question is this? You might as well ask what physical change in the Saiyan's bodies causes their ki to rise with their SSJ transformation. I don't see why it's hard to believe that concentrating power results in higher power when that's the basis for stuff like the Kamehameha.

Yeah, my only exposure to DBS fans is on gaf and I hate most of you guys so can't imagine using reddit and kanzenshuu
tumblr_mdv8sa3Vmw1qiqegzo1_500.gif

HeroR

You're a monster it's gonna be piccolo

Well that's interesting should check around more my impression was it was liked very much but that was solely based off of here

This is one of the few places I have seen that widely prefer the anime. In many places, the manga is often praised solely to put down the anime, especially if you for, for example, to the Dragon Ball Multiverse discussion. Although just mentioning Super there in anyway is like kicking a hornet's nest.

Vegeta only acknowledged Black having enough power to beat Trunks once he creates that barrier that stops his blasts, so he was holding back during their entire skirmish there. After Black does that, and Vegeta acknowledges how he understands why Trunks can't beat him, he immediately goes Blue. It's stupid (since it means that SSJ Black during most of the battle was weaker than the Base Black that faced Trunks in the first chapters), but it's not a "plothole" and the anime has cases of senseless "holding back" much more often.

It's clearly intended to be the "next" Final Flash, and the Final Flash itself was significantly higher than Vegeta's level when used back in the Cell Saga.

What kind of question is this? You might as well ask what physical change in the Saiyan's bodies causes their ki to rise with their SSJ transformation. I don't see why it's hard to believe that concentrating power results in higher power when that's the basis for stuff like the Kamehameha.

I didn't call that the plot hole, I said it makes no sense why the manga put Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta seemingly even with Super Saiyan 1/2 Black when the manga went out of its way to show us that Super Saiyan 2 Trunks was equal to Super Saiyan 3 Goku, who Black wasted. Hence, why I said it feels like Toyo forgot what he wrote. In fact, Black going Super Saiyan just felt like unneeded fluff to show that he could go Super Saiyan, which is nice I guess, but the way the manga did it makes no sense. Maybe they could have shown a flashback or something of Black using Super Saiyan against Trunks. Or better yet, have Black go Super Saiyan against Blue as he tries to counter Vegeta and fails.

The different between Merged Zamasu should be far greater than the different between a suppressed Perfect Cell and Vegeta, especially since Vegeta was so exhausted that he could barely go Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. And there were two of them and why didn't they dodge? At least Cell had the excuse of playing chicken. I'm willing to handwave this as 'rule of cool', but it stands out since Goku had to break his body just to match one Merged Zamasu and here comes a half-dead Vegeta able to waste two Merged Zamasu with a single blast.

As for sucking in the aura, it really doesn't make sense since nothing in Z is comparable to it. Even a full power energy blast doesn't jump someone's level to that extent.

Gin-Shiio

Treating manga and anime as polar opposites is what makes the discussion so obnoxious. Can't praise the anime without saying the manga is trash and vice versa. As if things were so black and white. I personally prefer the manga, but I'm not going to pretend I don't enjoy watching the show as of late.

brinstar

Personally, there's some things I like about the manga, but it overall often feels like it has less "humanity" to me. Characters feel like they're just there to dump panels of exposition and if I wasn't already watching the show I'm not sure how much of a fan I'd be of a lot of the new ones.

With that being said I did think this chapter was awesome, my only gripe was again, it felt like all the fun of Toppo was yanked out of him.

Lol. Not a single utterance of, "JUSTICE". Feels wrong! Although, Toppo atleast seemed more formidable here than in the anime. SSB Goku really felt that kick.

Yeah I did appreciate that they made him seem more dangerous.

I like how Zeno is written in the manga a lot more tbh.

I agree there.

HeroR

Personally, there's some things I like about the manga, but it overall often feels like it has less "humanity" to me. Characters feel like they're just there to dump panels of exposition and if I wasn't already watching the show I'm not sure how much of a fan I'd be of a lot of the new ones.

With that being said I did think this chapter was awesome, my only gripe was again, it felt like all the fun of Toppo was yanked out of him.

Yeah I did appreciate that they made him seem more dangerous.

I agree there.

Toyo seems a bit better than this going by the last three chapters, although barely, but this was definitely the case in the Future Trunks Saga where even Goku felt like an info dumped character and Toyo did nothing to make me give a damn about what happened to Trunks' timeline or even Trunks for that matter. I mean, Black and Zamasu wasted all the humans in one chapter, yet it was such a non-event that the manga didn't seem to care. The same with Zen'o erasing the timeline. Everyone was celebrated like this was a great victory. Everyone got erased from existed, including Trunks' own mother? Yeah, who cares. Future Bulma couldn't even get the dignity of an on-scene death.

Although I do find it amusing that the anime made Goku more of an asshole when the anime is know for playing down Goku's asshole traits, while the manga is the one underplaying outside of highlighting the 'Goku is a terrible father' meme. Because we really need more of that.

brinstar

Toyo seems a bit better than this going by the last three chapters, although barely, but this was definitely the case in the Future Trunks Saga where even Goku felt like an info dumped character and Toyo did nothing to make me give a damn about what happened to Trunks' timeline or even Trunks for that matter. I mean, Black and Zamasu wasted all the humans in one chapter, yet it was such a non-event that the manga didn't seem to care. The same with Zen'o erasing the timeline. Everyone was celebrated like this was a great victory. Everyone got erased from existed, including Trunks' own mother? Yeah, who cares. Future Bulma couldn't even get the dignity of an on-scene death.

Yeah, exactly. I feel like I'll have to re-read the arc again to properly sort my thoughts on it but events just feel like they zoom by in the DBS manga. Meanwhile I went from being someone who never cared much about Trunks (or Mai) and now after their arc in the DBS anime they're some of my favorite characters.

Edit: With that being said I've greatly enjoyed the ToP chapters for the most part so far. I dunno how much that will keep up, I expect the other universes' combatants to be glossed over even more in the manga, but so far I'm mostly having a good time.

mas8705

So are we taking bets on who gets eliminated? Part of me does feel as though that even if it is "Cabba Focused," he could go in the same way Krillin did (with a tail slap).

That reminds me, did Frieza's Race ever get a name? I know a wiki or two have used the term "Frost Demons," but has that been made official?

Yeah, exactly. I feel like I'll have to re-read the arc again to properly sort my thoughts on it but events just feel like they zoom by in the DBS manga. Meanwhile I went from being someone who never cared much about Trunks (or Mai) and now after their arc in the DBS anime they're some of my favorite characters.
Of course events zoom by, it's a monthly manga trying to keep up best it can with a weekly anime. The manga is going to cut damn near everything out besides the necessary stuff to keep the greater plot moving moving,(and whatever gags AT demands be put in) which means the characters suffer.(which combines with Toyo's own lack of skill in creating interesting characterization)

HeroR

Edit: With that being said I've greatly enjoyed the ToP chapters for the most part so far. I dunno how much that will keep up, I expect the other universes' combatants to be glossed over even more in the manga, but so far I'm mostly having a good time.

I would expect this arc to do well in the manga since it should be far easier to portray a giant rumble and it shouldn't feel as broken up as the anime. Plus, this arc isn't as emotional as the last arc, which is where Toyo really shit the bed, imo.

Moving away from the manga, this in an interesting read for those who care about No More Heroes:

I may have subconsciously picked up inspiration from the Dragon Ball series. In the [Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes], there's the console, the Death Drive MK-II, and the games for that console aren't cartridges or CDs, they're balls called ”Death Balls." Since the console and the games are sort of like a phantom console and phantom games, there's really not that many in existence. There were only six games that were made for the console, and there's only one copy for each of those games that exists, so if a player goes and collects all six of those game balls, they can have a wish granted, which is pretty much the same as Dragon Ball Z. I may have been subconsciously inspired by the whole Dragon Ball concept when I thought of that. Maybe if you collect all six balls, a huge tiger will appear or something. [laughs]

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2935...agon-ball-inspired-part-of-travis-strikes-aga

Fully Mastered Super Saiyan from the end of the Cell Saga says hello

Fully Masted Super Saiyan doesn't actually make Super Saiyan stronger, only more fuel efficient. Fully Masted Super Saiyan is still a 50x multiplier from base form, the same as an unmastered Super Saiyan.

Fully Masted Super Saiyan doesn't actually make Super Saiyan stronger, only more fuel efficient. Fully Masted Super Saiyan is still a 50x multiplier from base form, the same as an unmastered Super Saiyan.

It allows you to use more ki that you would normally spend otherwise, and the 50x multiplier is apparently increased through the training. The Blue version is just a high risk-high reward version of that.

I just had a dream that Freiza started complaining about the existence of more Saiyans when he saw cabba go Super Saiyan. He didn't think they were Saiyans until he saw one of them go Super Saiyain right in front of him.

Caulifla also had a new transformation that made her hair light purple.

HeroR

It allows you to use more ki that you would normally spend otherwise, and the 50x multiplier is apparently increased through the training. The Blue version is just a high risk-high reward version of that.

It isn’t. Even the guides doesn’t say Mastered Super Saiyan raise the multiplier. It just allows a Saiyan to fight at max power longer.

Mastered Blue took Goku to no match against Merged Zamasu to trading blows almost equally. So the manga is trying to tell us that Blue drops that much energy by just going into the it, something that not even Super Saiyan 3 has.

So since someone pressed the Zeno button and gaf is about to get deleted, I shall now reveal several truths.

Cabba will win the ToP, eliminating Gohan in the end. Jiren was so super strong he somehow entered a higher dimension and disappeared from the tournament.

17 will be upped to main character status, taking Goku's place as he becomes so strong after this arc he becomes depressed and starts meditating all the time like Jiren, he refuses to help when the next villain appears.

Vegeta cuts his hair and starts thinkng about his dad, reminiscing about what great facial hair he had.

Piccolo decides the time has come to kidnap Pan and throws her at a mountain, Goten asks to be kidnapped to, Piccolo ignores him.

Frieza and Jaco go on a buddy cop grand tour of the cosmos, there are legends of black stared dragonballs.

Slaythe

So since someone pressed the Zeno button and gaf is about to get deleted, I shall now reveal several truths.

Cabba will win the ToP, eliminating Gohan in the end. Jiren was so super strong he somehow entered a higher dimension and disappeared from the tournament.

17 will be upped to main character status, taking Goku's place as he becomes so strong after this arc he becomes depressed and starts meditating all the time like Jiren, he refuses to help when the next villain appears.

Vegeta cuts his hair and starts thinkng about his dad, reminiscing about what great facial hair he had.

Piccolo decides the time has come to kidnap Pan and throws her at a mountain, Goten asks to be kidnapped to, Piccolo ignores him.

Frieza and Jaco go on a buddy cop grand tour of the cosmos, there are legends of black stared dragonballs.

What happens to Trunks and Tien ?

It isn't. Even the guides doesn't say Mastered Super Saiyan raise the multiplier. It just allows a Saiyan to fight at max power longer.

Mastered Blue took Goku to no match against Merged Zamasu to trading blows almost equally. So the manga is trying to tell us that Blue drops that much energy by just going into the it, something that not even Super Saiyan 3 has.

Goku was able to fight Perfect Cell with a bit of a disadvantage, which even Vegeta in his Second Grade form wasn't able to do. The difference between normal SSJ and Full mastering is huge.

The form either allows for training the multiplier up, or, since you don't waste ki, not only fight max power longer, but also use the ki you'd normally burn at the same time for no reason in an attack, thus increasing your max power.

I guess the second point is the more likely one.

What happens to Trunks and Tien ?

Tien finally reveals the true power of his third eye and why he couldn't use its awesome power in the ToP, you see it-

Trunks stowed away on Frieza and Jaco's ship, excited to go with them on their grand tour, he is prompty stranded on an unknown planet by Frieza while Mai is arrested after details about her true age is revealed on social media.

I would expect this arc to do well in the manga since it should be far easier to portray a giant rumble and it shouldn't feel as broken up as the anime. Plus, this arc isn't as emotional as the last arc, which is where Toyo really shit the bed, imo.

Moving away from the manga, this in an interesting read for those who care about No More Heroes:

I may have subconsciously picked up inspiration from the Dragon Ball series. In the [Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes], there’s the console, the Death Drive MK-II, and the games for that console aren’t cartridges or CDs, they’re balls called “Death Balls.” Since the console and the games are sort of like a phantom console and phantom games, there’s really not that many in existence. There were only six games that were made for the console, and there’s only one copy for each of those games that exists, so if a player goes and collects all six of those game balls, they can have a wish granted, which is pretty much the same as Dragon Ball Z. I may have been subconsciously inspired by the whole Dragon Ball concept when I thought of that. Maybe if you collect all six balls, a huge tiger will appear or something. [laughs]

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2935...agon-ball-inspired-part-of-travis-strikes-aga

It totally makes a regular super saiyan much stronger. Vegeta was stunned by Goku's power and wondered what his secret was when he was fighting perfect cell 1v1. The form becomes far more efficient in its use of energy, yes, meaning when they push themselves even harder while in their mastered state, they're able to fight at a much higher level.

Top Bottom