• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi |OT| Witness a power not seen for a thousand years.

Stuart444

Got it today and finished playing it for now. Might play it again later but I'll post some impressions just now:

First off, just in the tutorial, I was able to gain a feel for the combat and decide (and this hasn't changed when I played some of the story mode) that it's the worst fighting game system in all the DBZ fighting games I've played (not including the PS1 games), which is the Budokai Games, the Budokai Tenkaichi games and Burst Limit/Raging Blast.

They have made ONE improvement though. no more waggle the stick around and around to recover (no waggling the stick around and around at all actually). That was the thing I hated the most in Raging Blast.

The Counter Attack system is VERY messed up, the counter attack system is basically a rythem game which goes really fast and makes it hard to time it right. Frustrating in a tutorial where you need to pass it to go onto the next one

A similar system is employed in the evasion system for super attacks, press square to evade and a rythem game with 3 bars that are close together pop up and you need to hit all 3 to succeed.

A rythem game in general is OUT OF PLACE in a fighting game in general... then again, this game also has way too many QTEs that any fighting game fan would be put off.

I don't like the Blast and Melee range stuff, the animation when you go from blast to melee range breaks the flow of the battle (then again it doesn't have much flow to begin with)

With all the QTEs where you have to press the same button or a different button than the opponent, a lot of this is based on LUCK rather than skill.

The AI spams supers like there is no tomorrow and because it takes you out of the action, it feels like you're just doing more mini-games than actual fighting in a fighting game... if that makes sense. Super Attacks in general are done way too flashy and then you're stuck in a defense thing where you still get hurt, a rythem mini-game or a button mashing section.

I think that should be most of my complaints on the combat system. (I will say, I am not a fan of the spirit thing you need to perform supers but considering this games combat system, I think it was a necessity for it >_< )

Story mode time:

I was only able to get up to Gohan vs Nappa before I felt like I should stop playing (I'm not feeling great just now otherwise I would have continued).

First complaint: The little bit that comes before the first battle is annoying, it's basically a window with scrolling text giving you some backstory, it is NOT voiced at all (which sucks, I think the narrator voice would be good for it) and you can't scroll it yourself so if you read fast, be prepared for a painful wait.

First battle is Bardock vs Freeza (and first battle outside of the tutorial for me), My combat system complaints stay valid in this fight but the end of the battle had them doing the same thing as in the anime, final spirit cannon vs Death Ball which I thought was a VERY VERY nice touch honestly.

First anime scene, looks pretty nice. Very nice stuff.

After that, the opening intro plays (which I thought was quite nice, reminded me of Tales of Xillia a little since it had the opening play after an introduction section).

We got put straight into Goku on a Cloud on the world map with piccolo (yes no DB related story stuff outside of the scrolling text which also came before the saiyan saga officially started). I looked around then I went to a world tournament which we could do.

The announcer is annoying DURING battle "It must be some kind of spiritual concentration), that is my biggest complaint during the world tournament battle.

I like the stuff that happens in battle where the game takes over and does stuff that you may remember from the anime (ie Saibaman blowing himself up with Yamcha)

So far, it does skip enough of the story for me to say that it could be considered insulting to a DBZ fan with the way Namco Bandai has advertised this as the most faithful DBZ story mode experience. (we go from Piccolo and Goku fighting against Raditz to Yamcha fighting a Saibaman, that's a big skip).

I mean, I thought they might have at least done something on King Kais planet or some training with Gohan but nope, instead it's another scrolling text box and then you're Yamcha on the world map. The Lip syncing is also not exactly great.

The Anime scenes however are a very nice touch.

I may not be fully happy with the story mode however I do think it's a plus for it, providing what they have is done well enough then I'll continue to be happy with it.

The graphics are pretty awesome, I will say, I prefer the style in the Budokai/BT games (more so the Budokai games though) but I like these graphics more than Raging Blasts graphics.

The Menu is much nicer than what I saw in Raging Blast 2 and the UI is pretty nice.

Not tried Hero mode so I can't say anything about that for now. I wish I had more to praise the game for it's really hard considering how bad the combat system is.

I can't even say DBZ fans should get it just for hero mode/story mode since I've not played hero mode and I've not played too much of story mode. If the story mode gets better then hardcore DBZ fans MAY want to pick it up for that...

But what I can say is, people who don't care about the story mode/hero mode should stay away as the combat system is just plain bad outside of that one improvement I mentioned.

I've tried to be as detailed as I can about the combat system for those on the fence about it, what I may dislike, you may like after all. Hope this post helps for those on the fence about this game :)

Docpan

Is it safe to say that Raging Blast 2 is a better buy for someone looking to play a fun DB game that is closest to BT3?

Stuart444

Well I personally didn't like RB or RB2. Burst limit is the most fun out of all this gens DBZ games that I've had.

If you can find it on the cheap though, I'd say get it. Don't get this if you're looking for the best combat/fighting system of any DBZ game this generation >_<

Docpan

Burst Limit sucks. What makes Raging Blast 2 a worse game than BT3? You already explained how Ultimate Tenkaichi has too many QTEs, which sucks.

Aru

TreIII said:
Either of these would be fine with me, personally.

8ing is pretty much hit or miss when they aren't supervised by some talented producer (like Dimps with Ono).

Takao

Banned
Docpan said:
Burst Limit sucks. What makes Raging Blast 2 a worse game than BT3? You already explained how Ultimate Tenkaichi has too many QTEs, which sucks.

RB2 has no story mode, and the combat feels clunky, and after a while, boring.

XiaNaphryz said:
Battle Stadium D.O.N.

Apparently that's a pretty trash game, lol.

I FIGURED OUT THE GAMEPLAY!

Its dumbed down and simplified to make it look more cinematic!

Play with that in mind and its ok.
However it would of been nice to have more variation in the animation battle cutscenes since they did it this way.

robot

I picked it up to run through the series without having to watch 1200 episodes and so far it's pretty cool. The combat is very shallow but honestly I'm not looking at this as a fighting game. Graphics are really nice.

Tutorial seemed buggy to me had a few times where I had to exit out since buttons were not responding. Very weird.

I watched a stream of this game for an hour or two. It looked like a lot of fun and the create a character was cool as well. I'll look to get this game when it bombas.

Takao

Banned
Anslon said:
I watched a stream of this game for an hour or two. It looked like a lot of fun and the create a character was cool as well. I'll look to get this game when it bombas.

Good luck, Raging Blast 2 is still $50 at many retailers here, with Raging Blast still going for $30.

robot

Having a great time with the game - everything just looks amazing. The fights are so much fun. Story stuff is starting to pick up with more in-game scenes and animation, less story text. The redone animation is so awesome. I'd say if you're looking for an excuse to experience the series again this is a great alternative to watching the anime.

Anyone try the character creator? is there an original story to it?

udivision

robot said:
Having a great time with the game - everything just looks amazing. The fights are so much fun. Story stuff is starting to pick up with more in-game scenes and animation, less story text. The redone animation is so awesome. I'd say if you're looking for an excuse to experience the series again this is a great alternative to watching the anime.

Anyone try the character creator? is there an original story to it?
Stop lying man. Just stop ;_;

Takao

Banned
Dragon Ball doesn't have 1200 episodes anyways, and I've seen walls of text in the footage I've seen in this game.

Seik

Banned
Kusagari said:
Naruto: Gekitou Taisen 4 is the best anime fighting game ever. Deal with it.

Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 rapes Gekitou Taisen 4 imo. But I agree that GT4 is quite good too. =)

robot

Takao said:
Dragon Ball doesn't have 1200 episodes anyways, and I've seen walls of text in the footage I've seen in this game.
Ok game is awful burn it immediately and play Final Bout.

Stuart444

Been playing it more today.

I'm having slightly more fun than I was because I had adjusted my expectations accordingly. The combat still feels a bit meh but I've gotten used to it enough. Hate the rythem stuff though so I never use evade or recover into the counter thing.

Story mode wise, lip syncing is just bad, I swear Freeza's voice switched between two voice actors as did Gohans. Not sure if any others did. Not a fan of the pursuit mini-game either.

I do like how the story battles take over at time to make it more like the anime scenes with some stuff/lines being almost exactly like it.

Hate that they skip so much in the story though (although it's the best story mode this generation from a DBZ fighter but that just says how bad the others were). They even skipped Cooler normal fight and went straight to Meta-Cooler.

They even get away with not showing other characters who are not playable due to the scrolling text and skipping the parts of the stories that involve them which for any DBZ fan who are fans of the anime will get annoying. Still easily the best story mode for a DBZ fighter this gen though.

I'm pretty sure controller input lags at times, it was most apparent for me during the Meta-Cooler giant fight where I could hit the ki blast button 2 or 3 times and then try to move but due to the delay, instead of moving (using the dash button), I get hit with the thing I was trying to move away from.

Gotten to the start of the Buu Saga. Decided to leave it there for now, might go back to it later or tomorrow. Not started Hero mode either.

lol I am actually craving a new DBZ game and I have not bought one since Burst Limit. This is coming from somebody that got every DBZ game last generation. Still this game does not scream "buy" like BT3 which I soaked around 30 hours into just to finish the story mode. BT3 really is the ultimate DBZ game in terms of story and fan service. B3 I think has the best game play and style.

I think im going to pick up RB2 on the cheap instead of this. Nothing about this game is making me want to shovel out $60. If it at least had UNS presentation/graphics than I would most likely bite.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There is no way the Ape Vegeta fight is possible. I have NEVER been asked to pound buttons like this game wants you to

Ashodin

Okay checked it out, and playing it now - skipped over story mode since many people have downed it.

Checking out Hero Mode, and I have to say, AWESOME!

The story is entirely new - not GT or whatever people were saying. It's an alternate universe, the Earth you know is different, enemies you would assume would be truly evil in original DBZ are just mercenaries (Ginyu) and your character takes the place of "World's Strongest".

The story opens with a mystery and you have to go out, fight it out, and solve it. You can train in between story fights to learn moves from other people (Yamcha et al), and incorporate them into your style.

Fully voiced text crawl (y u no give story mode same?), fully voiced cutscenes with new dialogue/story(!) and the feel of being your own character making your way really set this mode apart.

It makes me wish there was a DBZ game entirely devoted to a new storyline in an alternate universe with a created character, there's so much you could do.

Ashodin

Holy shit, Piccolo is a bitch in Hero Mode, this is fucking crazy! I got to the second part of the fight, and it's awesome!
Super Saiyan!

Throavium

I read this over at Daizenshuu EX, I thought it was hilarious.

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?p=502994#p502994

Honestly, I would hesitate to even call this a fighting game.

This game is absolute garbage. I'm going to go and play Rock Paper Scissors with my friends, because at least it has a modicum of strategy, unlike this festering turd of a game. I'm just going to rip the cutscenes from the disc and call it a day.

If there was ever a reason to let the franchise lie for a few years between the next game, it's Ultimate Tenkaichi.

Takao

Banned
Mike should probably stop playing Spike games, haha.

Well, if rumors are true he won't have to seem them for a while.

Throavium

I've bought every console DBZ game on the release date since Budokai 2, this will be the first game where I won't. I don't know if ill ever play this game, unless someone has it.

Waiting for something better.

Takao

Banned
I'm a sucker for new animation (let's be real here, I bought Raging Blast 2 not for the game, but for Plan To Eradicate The Super Saiyans) so I'll probably, maybe, eventually will get this game. I'm just hoping it doesn't have anti price collapse legs of steel like Raging Blast 2 has, since $50 isn't what I'm interested in paying for new animation of a story I know like the back of my hand.

Takao

Banned
Throavium said:
Why is RB 2 still that expensive?

I'm guessing it's actually sold well, and thus there's no need to lower the price to clear out stock. The fact that this game isn't called Raging Blast 3 makes RB2 attractive, since it won't necessarily look inferior to UT if both were sitting on the same shelf.

I like this game for what it is, but as a pure DBZ game BT2 is still my favorite. I wish they could add more than just fan service, but ah well. I wonder who will get the developing duty now that spike is no longer behind the wheel?

Just don't make anymore trash like super DBZ............

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A part of me wonders if this isn't the last DB game we see for awhile over in the states.

The last few didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Takao

Banned
Man God said:
A part of me wonders if this isn't the last DB game we see for awhile over in the states.

The last few didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Maybe last original one, but I can't see Zenkai Battle Royale not getting a console port some time soon.

Throavium

I still don't know if the fighting system in Zenkai is deep or not, because every video I see is someone who doesn't know how to play.

Takao

Banned
Throavium said:
I still don't know if the fighting system in Zenkai is deep or not, because every video I see is someone who doesn't know how to play.

Shallow fighting game systems haven't stopped Dragon Ball Z games from being released in the past.

Throavium

Takao said:
Shallow fighting game systems haven't stopped Dragon Ball Z games from being released in the past.
Hmm? I'm interested in Zenkai, but I'd be more interested if I saw someone playing that new the fighting system. Or if I could play it for 30 minutes.

Top Bottom