• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
At least get the kitty back.
Already done :)
zPQEQn8.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Monsters are pretty important for most of the 2nd segment though since you don't have many (if any) characters around for much of it.
That's true, I'm currently rolling with Bianca, a Slime Knight and an Orc King and can't imagine playing without a full party at this point.

You better believe my Metal Slime is coming with me all the way to the end:

Only battle where he's been killed easily so far is when I fought Bjorn for the first time last week (used Hero, Metal, son, and King Cure Slime).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm shocked how low the chance of capturing most of the monsters is to be honest. I often grind around towns to afford the best equipment, which leads to fighting the same monsters over and over and have barely caught anything with a chance 1/16 or lower.

Unrelated, but I was wondering about DQ7. Is the mobile version a port of the 3DS game? I can grab the 3DS version for quite cheap, but if it's done as well as 1-5, I think I might go mobile.

I'm shocked how low the chance of capturing most of the monsters is to be honest. I often grind around towns to afford the best equipment, which leads to fighting the same monsters over and over and have barely caught anything with a chance 1/16 or lower.

Unrelated, but I was wondering about DQ7. Is the mobile version a port of the 3DS game? I can grab the 3DS version for quite cheap, but if it's done as well as 1-5, I think I might go mobile.

It took me at least 3-4 months of grinding to get my Metal Slime (1/256 change of recruitment). If they ever remake V again I really hope they get rid of the "chance" system for monster recruitment and maybe replace it based on something like number of kills, i.e kill 50 regular Slimes, *boom*! You got a slime in your party. If you're dedicated enough to kill at least 200 Metal Slimes then on your 200th kill you automatically get a Metal to join your party and so on.

I think they took out visable monsters bit otherwise, it's the 3ds game

Aeana

I prefer DQ7 mobile because the random encounters bring the game balance a bit back toward where I feel it should be. You get into far more battles with visible enemies on 3DS than you do with random encounters on mobile.

Lynx_7

I prefer DQ7 mobile because the random encounters bring the game balance a bit back toward where I feel it should be. You get into far more battles with visible enemies on 3DS than you do with random encounters on mobile.

Hmm, reading about this and how the intro was apparently gutted in the 3DS version, would you reccomend the PS1 original over the remake or are there other improvements to the experience that make up for its shortcomings?

Just wondering which would be better for a first-timer, and also someone who likely won't revisit the game again since it's so long (or at least not anytime soon for the next few years). Android is out of the question since my cellphone sucks and I dislike touch controls.

Aeana

Hmm, reading about this and how the intro was apparently gutted in the 3DS version, would you reccomend the PS1 original over the remake or are there other improvements to the experience that make up for its shortcomings?

Just wondering which would be better for a first-timer, and also someone who likely won't revisit the game again since it's so long (or at least not anytime soon for the next few years). Android is out of the question since my cellphone sucks and I dislike touch controls.

No, the remake is great and I would recommend it over the original to anyone who wants to play it today. The intro being cut up is sad, and along with it they cut my favorite song from the game, but overall it's an improvement over the original.

Psxphile

Is this a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder?

This the same intro that people disliked because it ran on for too long, with the most common complaint being it took up to 2 hours before you got to fight your first battles?

Also I forgot DQ7r was actually ported to mobile. Still waiting on that NA release, SE...

The intro in the PS1 version has a cool puzzle dungeon that was completely axed.

Also Dialac was gutted in the remake.

Having recently finished the PS1 version again, it's nice in a retro sort of way (the PS1 visuals are neat) but the quality of life improvements in the 3DS version and the difficulty "nerfring" are well worth the trade off. Visible/skippable enemy encounters (especially useful in the overworld), shard radar, and far quicker class progression are great additions.

Edit: though I should mention I prefer the midi soundtrack of the original to the orchestrated one in the 3DS version

lewisgone

I've been meaning to ask for a while, I always hear about how the DS version of Dragon Quest VI is inferior to the original game, but have found it really hard to find specific reasons on why it would be noticeably worse. For people who've played both, what makes it worse (if you think it is)?

I'm just curious because the game is quite low on my rankings of Dragon Quest games, but if that's because of a poor port I'd be interested in playing it again on SNES or something.

Lothar

Banned
Dialac was my favorite part of the game. Difficulty nerfing? Does this remake have anything going for it or did it just remove everything that was good about the original?

brinstar

Dialac was my favorite part of the game. Difficulty nerfing? Does this remake have anything going for it or did it just remove everything that was good about the original?

A few posts up Aeana said it overall is an improvement over the original.

Lothar

Banned
A few posts up Aeana said it overall is an improvement over the original.

What's improved, Aeana?

I don't think visible enemies would make up for losing the difficulty. Especially since visible enemies seems to lead to more encounters. That sounds like it makes it worse.

The difficulty changes are mostly in experience gained increasing and number of battles required for class level up being reduced (cut in half for basic classes). I suspect but haven't confirmed that the bosses also have less HP. At the same time some changes have been made to advanced classes, in that you can't keep (most?) spells/skills you earn from them, which makes specializing more important. This may sound limiting but it makes your choices for advanced classes more consequential. Monster classes have some improvements as well to make them more useful but I didn't play around with them much.

I say "nerfing" but overall I think these difficulty tweaks are good changes that mostly make things easier for beginners but still leaving some nice customization options for more advanced players.

I don't really agree that you get more encounters with visible enemies. It's true that in very tight caves they become unavoidable but in towers or broader dungeons and especially in the overworld it's very easy to skip enemies, which is nice for when you want to re-run an area or race back to town.

The presentation changes are the most noticeable improvement, mostly the graphics and music. I could go either way on this since I rather like the original style but I'm sure most would prefer the remake. Aside from just graphics, the overworld is segmented similar to DQ8&9 which feels right. There's also the nice addition of character design changing when you change classes, which can be really cute especially for the shepherd class.

Other than that, there is a shard radar so it's a lot harder to miss shards (a sore point in the original, necessitating either checking absolutely everything or using a walkthrough). There's also a new bonus dungeon and additional spoilery postgame content.

There's some other stuff as well, for example I think there are some streetpass features for the immigrant town but I didn't have anyone to streetpass with.

Edit: I looked into the boss HP thing, compared PS1 and 3DS and it looks that they are the same. There are some skills that seem to have changed, for example Gracos' Tsunami was changed to Hurricane which does a bit less damage.

Aeana

What's improved, Aeana?

I don't think visible enemies would make up for losing the difficulty. Especially since visible enemies seems to lead to more encounters. That sounds like it makes it worse.

Although I didn't think so at first, I eventually decided that the way classes and class progression work in the remake is better. Hybrid skills were a clunky idea in the first place, and with only basic class skills transferring over in the remake, it makes the advanced classes stick out more and feel more valuable. Also, the rate at which you learn interesting abilities was increased, and the amount of redundant abilities was decreased. They also managed to make monster classes viable and interesting by allowing their skills to be learned permanently, and thus they become the only source of permanent advanced class skills.

The game's difficulty hasn't really been nerfed that much. I'm actually not quite sure what that's referring to*. Yes, visible enemies do lead to quicker progression, and that may well be the cause of the perception of nerfs, but it's not a dramatic thing on its own. What really ends up pushing it over the edge is if you end up doing lithograph dungeons, which are side content like grottos in DQ9 that can really end up overleveling you if you're not careful. In terms of balancing, several abilities have actually been nerfed. Sword dance is no longer the over-powered I win button it once was, for instance.

*(There is one specific instance I can recall where there is an actual difficulty nerf. When you fight Death Amigo in the Orph scenario, it used to be that you could not use magic, and magic is allowed in the remake, so yeah that is much easier. But I can't think of anything else off the top of my head)

Cruixant

This the same intro that people disliked because it ran on for too long, with the most common complaint being it took up to 2 hours before you got to fight your first battles?

Also I forgot DQ7r was actually ported to mobile. Still waiting on that NA release, SE...

They just removed the introductory (and best) dungeon in the game and replaced it with something simpler. There is really nothing wrong with the intro because you are basically playing like in any other game in the series, you just don't have random battles. It's not like a 2-3 hour segment of cutscenes where you have little control over it.

I've been meaning to ask for a while, I always hear about how the DS version of Dragon Quest VI is inferior to the original game, but have found it really hard to find specific reasons on why it would be noticeably worse. For people who've played both, what makes it worse (if you think it is)?

I'm just curious because the game is quite low on my rankings of Dragon Quest games, but if that's because of a poor port I'd be interested in playing it again on SNES or something.

It's a good port. It's just that several people who played the original first weren't satisfied with the remake due to several factors, including reusing the same graphics engine used for 4 & 5 DS (the original had a more unique look), pacing being overall faster (due to both battles and character movement speed being faster), missing the monster catching, etc.

Having played the two, I feel like the DS one is overall an improved version, especially concerning battles. Plus it has party chat, which makes the little stories a bit more meaty (IMO). But the differences are really small overall and I don't personally think playing one version over the other is going to change drastically your opinion of the game.

A big complaint about dqvi ds is that they completely neutered the monster master class. It was one of the most unique classes and they ruined it

Cruixant

A big complaint about dqvi ds is that they completely neutered the monster master class. It was one of the most unique classes and they ruined it

That's a pretty fair complaint. I think that and the unique npc designs of 6 SFC are what I miss the most from the DS version. But I think that's very much it, honestly. Overall, I felt the experience was very similar when I played 6 SFC. In comparison, I felt the battles flowed a lot better in the remake, for example. Not to talk about the fantranslation, which isn't at all complete and is kind of poor from what I've seen compared to the actual localization.

Aeana

The primary complaint I have with 6 DS is difficult to quantify. There's a dramatic difference in pacing, which manages to make each story feel cheaper and less impactful. Most people who played the DS version first say that the stories didn't really affect them, which is really sad for me since my experience with the original version was very different. Several of the scenarios in 6 really got to me. On DS, they just skate by before you know it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm surprised to see such positive reaction for DQ7, since I assumed it was pretty bad based on how many people are excited for the 3DS version's localization.

Speaking of 3DS versions, how does the remake of VIII compare to the mobile version?

I'm surprised to see such positive reaction for DQ7, since I assumed it was pretty bad based on how many people are excited for the 3DS version's localization.

Speaking of 3DS versions, how does the remake of VIII compare to the mobile version?

Completely different. Mobile runs like shit but looms closer to the ps2 version. 3ds is graphically worse bit makes up for it with orchestral music (new recordings?), voice acting and new content. Plus visible encounters.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Completely different. Mobile runs like shit but looms closer to the ps2 version. 3ds is graphically worse bit makes up for it with orchestral music (new recordings?), voice acting and new content. Plus visible encounters.
Thanks. I guess that will be the first one I'll clear on an actual console.

That's still far away though, since I just got the Magic Key in DQ5. I assume I have a long way to go?

Aeana

DQ7 is an incredibly special, unique game within the series. It's a bit divisive, but if you get into the vignettes then it's going to really pay off for you. Yuji Horii took the time travel concept he started with Chrono Trigger and had another go at it, and it's really just... honestly, incredible in my opinion. It's very long, frankly with enough content to fill two or three games with nothing that actually feels like filler, but it's worth it.

DQ8 3DS is absolutely, absolutely the way to go for that game.

DQ7 is an incredibly special, unique game within the series. It's a bit divisive, but if you get into the vignettes then it's going to really pay off for you. Yuji Horii took the time travel concept he started with Chrono Trigger and had another go at it, and it's really just... honestly, incredible in my opinion. It's very long, frankly with enough content to fill two or three games with nothing that actually feels like filler, but it's worth it.

Interesting to hear this, I've always been told DQVII (at least the ps1 original) was for hardcore DQ fans only. I'll admit, I was always put off by the sheer length of the game and the more episodic story telling.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

DQ8 3DS is absolutely, absolutely the way to go for that game.
I missed a word there. I meant to write "I'm surprised to see such positive reaction for DQ7 mobile" :)

I missed a word there. I meant to write "I'm surprised to see such positive reaction for DQ7 mobile" :)
The mobile version wasn't localised/released outside of Japan which is why we are looking forward to the 3DS localisation rather than playing it on mobile. We don't expect to get the mobile version until long after the 3DS game's international release.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The mobile version wasn't localised/released outside of Japan which is why we are looking forward to the 3DS localisation rather than playing it on mobile. We don't expect to get the mobile version until long after the 3DS game's international release.
Oh, my mistake then. For some reason I assumed that all 8 games are out in English on mobile.

I always find it weird that everyone shits on the intro of DQ7 but no one ever talks about how long it takes before you get to a battle or dungeon in P3 or P4. I'm pretty sure it took twice as long in P4 for me to get to anything beyond reading text boxes as it did for DQ7, and at least DQ7 gives you puzzles and movement.

/rant

Interesting to hear this, I've always been told DQVII (at least the ps1 original) was for hardcore DQ fans only. I'll admit, I was always put off by the sheer length of the game and the more episodic story telling.

It is honestly a master class in how to write RPG vignette's. I think the issue is that when DQ7 came out a lot of people were more into the pure linear FF7 style quasi cinematic stories, and here is DQ7 with its bite sized vignette's all of which build in to this deeply melancholic world and story. And it does massively better job of tying together the impact of choices in the past with things in the present than Chrono Trigger did.

DQS is just a spinoff but I'm having tonne of fun currently.

dragonduestswords-2.jpg
It is what I asked to get for Christmas last year. I played it a lot soon after getting it and a little in the months since. It's pretty good but the technology holds it back a bit, like needing to lock onto a point in order to attack anywhere but a line in the middle horizontally or vertically. I'll play it again soon. :)

lewisgone

TIt's a good port. It's just that several people who played the original first weren't satisfied with the remake due to several factors, including reusing the same graphics engine used for 4 & 5 DS (the original had a more unique look), pacing being overall faster (due to both battles and character movement speed being faster), missing the monster catching, etc.

Having played the two, I feel like the DS one is overall an improved version, especially concerning battles. Plus it has party chat, which makes the little stories a bit more meaty (IMO). But the differences are really small overall and I don't personally think playing one version over the other is going to change drastically your opinion of the game.

The primary complaint I have with 6 DS is difficult to quantify. There's a dramatic difference in pacing, which manages to make each story feel cheaper and less impactful. Most people who played the DS version first say that the stories didn't really affect them, which is really sad for me since my experience with the original version was very different. Several of the scenarios in 6 really got to me. On DS, they just skate by before you know it.

Thanks for the information, that's interesting. The game didn't feel very unique to me on DS so I might actually give it another go on SNES with the more unique graphics and altered pacing, and see if it doesn't change my opinion of the game. I'm definitely one of those people who didn't find any of the stories in the game memorable.

I always find it weird that everyone shits on the intro of DQ7 but no one ever talks about how long it takes before you get to a battle or dungeon in P3 or P4. I'm pretty sure it took twice as long in P4 for me to get to anything beyond reading text boxes as it did for DQ7, and at least DQ7 gives you puzzles and movement.

/rant
People do talk shit on the P4 intro, but it has a larger internet fanbase so players tend to be willing to overlookoverlook and forget it. Whereas it seems to have dissuaded some players from playing DQ7.

Lynx_7

So, what is a good level to fight against (Dragon Quest V post-game spoilers)
Estark
? It's the only major "sidequest" from V I haven't done yet unless there's another optional superboss I'm not aware of. I have my wife, kids and hero at levels 32 to 35, a level 17 Golem, 32 Sabrecat, 27 Kimera, a Slime and a few other not-that -good monsters. I'm assuming that's not nearly ready enough, right?

Aeana

So, what is a good level to fight against (Dragon Quest V post-game spoilers)
Estark
? It's the only major "sidequest" from V I haven't done yet unless there's another optional superboss I'm not aware of. I have my wife, kids and hero at levels 32 to 35, a level 17 Golem, 32 Sabrecat, 27 Kimera, a Slime and a few other not-that -good monsters. I'm assuming that's not nearly ready enough, right?

Your levels are fine, but you're going to run into a problem with healing power. If you recruit a king cureslime, you'll get a significant boost. Combine that with the sage's stone and war drum which you can get from the board game in the bonus dungeon, and you'll manage just fine. King cureslime isn't required, of course. There's other good healers. A regular cureslime can handle it too, but you might need some backup monsters to swap in for things like resurrection. Orc king is a good candidate for that.

Lynx_7

Your levels are fine, but you're going to run into a problem with healing power. If you recruit a king cureslime, you'll get a significant boost. Combine that with the sage's stone and war drum which you can get from the board game in the bonus dungeon, and you'll manage just fine. King cureslime isn't required, of course. There's other good healers. A regular cureslime can handle it too, but you might need some backup monsters to swap in for things like resurrection. Orc king is a good candidate for that.

Yeah, I just gave it a try and his damage output eventually overwhelmed me. I'll try recruiting a King Cureslime first, hope it doesn't take too long. Thanks!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of DQV, I'm currently fighting against the monster to get the last key.

My team consists of hero, kids and a slime knight, everyone on levels 24-28. I thought I would be fine, but not having anyone with a group heal makes the fight more of a pain than it should be, because of all those aoe attacks.

Aeana

Speaking of DQV, I'm currently fighting against the monster to get the last key.

My team consists of hero, kids and a slime knight, everyone on levels 24-28. I thought I would be fine, but not having anyone with a group heal makes the fight more of a pain than it should be, because of all those aoe attacks.

It can be tough. What I do personally is bring a golem, cast バイキルト on it and have it use ちからため or きあいため, and keep フバーハ and スクルト up at all times to reduce the breath damage. Your levels are plenty high, (I'm usually not that high, usually around 23 because I go as soon as the son learns フバーハ). Equip any stuff you have that's strong against fire attacks. Dragon shields or magic shields, for instance. Don't let him buff his defense too much, try to counter it with ルカニ. That's really all there is to it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It can be tough. What I do personally is bring a golem, cast バイキルト on it and have it use ちからため or きあいため, and keep フバーハ and スクルト up at all times to reduce the breath damage. Your levels are plenty high, (I'm usually not that high, usually around 23 because I go as soon as the son learns フバーハ). Equip any stuff you have that's strong against fire attacks. Dragon shields or magic shields, for instance. Don't let him buff his defense too much, try to counter it with ルカニ. That's really all there is to it.
Thanks for the tips, I completely forgot that フバーハ exists. Should make the fight easier. The worst part is the super long cutscene before each attempt.

Edit:
Did it on my second try, but the fight proved that the daughter is the weakest link in boss fights. Low physical damage, hp, and defense. Mainly AOE spells which barely do anything to bosses. Only redeeming quality is ルカナン (lowering enemy def), unless she gets some good/useful spells later in the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Stayed up oast 2 am yesterday, but I finished DQV!
That might have been the easiest last boss fight in the series so far.

Already started DQVI, but there's no way I can finish it before DQH2 which comes out tomorrow.

By the way, how long is 6? Should I expect another 35+ hour adventure like 5?

Stayed up oast 2 am yesterday, but I finished DQV!
That might have been the easiest last boss fight in the series so far.

Already started DQVI, but there's no way I can finish it before DQH2 which comes out tomorrow.

By the way, how long is 6? Should I expect another 35+ hour adventure like 5?
DQ6 is longer. HowLongToBeat.com lists DQ6 at about 41 hours long vs DQ5 being 30.5 hours. I think it took me 53 hours for DQ6 though.

Aeana

I always forget how long these games seem to take for first plays. I haven't had a DQ5 playthrough that took more than 20 hours in a very long time.

Top Bottom