• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I always forget how long these games seem to take for first plays. I haven't had a DQ5 playthrough that took more than 20 hours in a very long time.
In my defense, I always do everything that can be done aside from the post-game stuff. Mostly to have an easier time with the final dungeon/boss, but still!

Although with 5 I didn't bother with the museum/monster capturing at all. Slime Knight was the only monster member in my party once I got kids and I used the Golem/blue Orc guy/my kitten when I was running around alone during mid game.

By the way, how many people here are grabbing Heroes 2 tomorrow? It has 4 people multiplayer, which I'm totally down for.

I'm waiting for Heroes 2 to come out and some impressions to come about before buying it, and maybe doing my standard few months delay for JP releases given how fast they tend to drop in price.

Also I saw a video of the Vita version a little while ago and the performance looked inconsistent, worse than I expected given how decently Samurai Warriors 4-II runs.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
PSA: Some DQ mobile ports are currently on sale.
The list of games on sale includes:
Dragon Quest 2 [$2.99]
Dragon Quest 3 [$6.99]
Dragon Quest 5 [$9.99]
Dragon Quest 6 [$9.99]

Same for Japanese versions, although more titles are included here.

「ドラゴンクエスト ポータルアプリ」内で購入

・ドラゴンクエスト:360円→240円(33%OFF)
・ドラゴンクエストII 悪霊の神々:500円→360円(28%OFF)
・ドラゴンクエストIII そして伝説へ…:1,200円→840円(30%OFF)

App Store / Google Playで購入

・ドラゴンクエストIV 導かれし者たち:1,800円→1,200円(33%OFF)
・ドラゴンクエストV 天空の花嫁:1,800円→1,200円(33%OFF)
・ドラゴンクエストVI 幻の大地:1,800円→1,200円(33%OFF)
・ドラゴンクエストVII エデンの戦士たち:1,800円→1,200円(33%OFF)
・ドラゴンクエストVIII 空と海と大地と呪われし姫君:2,800円→1,800円(35%OFF)

Chase17

Played DQV as my first DQ game almost a year ago and loved it. Was waiting for DQ7 to come here for 3DS before playing another but now it seems like that won't be coming out this summer. Was wondering if there is an ideal place to go next. Was thinking about DQ4 but then noticed that the first few games are out on mobile. Does DQ1 hold up and still worth going through? If seen praise for IV,V,VI on mobile, are the first three games good there as well? If so I might just try to play the numbered series in order from here on out.

Sort of want to replay V already which is weird for me with RPGs.

Anyways I figured this was a good place to ask. Sorry if questions like this have been asked to death.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Played DQV as my first DQ game almost a year ago and loved it. Was waiting for DQ7 to come here for 3DS before playing another but now it seems like that won't be coming out this summer. Was wondering if there is an ideal place to go next. Was thinking about DQ4 but then noticed that the first few games are out on mobile. Does DQ1 hold up and still worth going through? If seen praise for IV,V,VI on mobile, are the first three games good there as well? If so I might just try to play the numbered series in order from here on out.

Anyways I figured this was a good place to ask. Sorry if questions like this have been asked to death.
1 and 2 don't look great on mobile because of "squished" graphics, but they play perfectly fine and the quicsave feature is great for playing on the go.

Unless you really need buttons, I suggest grabbing I-IV and VI on mobile and playing them all in order. This is what I've been doing for the past month and it's been really great.

1-3 aren't that long too, so you can finish them quite fast. Especially 1.

Lynx_7

From what I've read I, II and III are all very good ports on mobile.
I is pretty short and can be beat in a single play session if you know what you're doing, while II is longer and also more tedious, though some people think of it as the better game so ymmv. Both are interesting from a historical standpoint but they're the weakest titles of the franchise as far as I'm concerned and II in particular isn't a game I think I'll ever revisit.
I imagine IV would be a better follow-up to V, but if you're curious enough to see how the franchise started and are very patient/willing to read a walkthrough, you could go for I/II. III supposedly holds up well even nowadays and is sort of a "prequel" to the first two.

Aeana

I'm getting DQH2 of course. I'm intrigued by the changes, it seems like they're aiming even further from Musou this time.

I won't get it until next week, most likely, since it's coming out a day later than most games do in Japan, and it's coming via Amazon JP.

Play DQ9. Its like a best-of all the other games best ideas.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does anyone have suggestion for jobs in 6?

I read that it's a good idea to have at least 2 people who can Hustle Dance for the final part of the game, so I'm going to try to get that Luminary somewhere mid game.

Other than that I was thinking Warrior -> Martial Artist -> Battlemaster -> Hero for the Hero.

For other characters:
Martial Artist -> Priest -> Paladin
Priest -> Mage -> (Luminary somewhere in between) -> Sage
Warrior -> Mage -> (Luminary somewhere in between) -> Armamentalist

Does this sound okay?

Aeana

Does anyone have suggestion for jobs in 6?

I read that it's a good idea to have at least 2 people who can Hustle Dance for the final part of the game, so I'm going to try to get that Luminary somewhere mid game.

Other than that I was thinking Warrior -> Martial Artist -> Hero for the Hero.

For other characters:
Martial Artist -> Priest -> Paladin
Priest -> Mage -> (Luminary somewhere in between) -> Sage
Warrior -> Mage -> (Luminary somewhere in between) -> Armamentalist

Does this sound okay?

It's going to be quite a while before you have access to the class system in 6, FYI. You'll have enough time to decide what kinds of stuff you'd like by the time you unlock it!

The path you've given for the hero won't work, though. You have to master one of battlemaster, sage, ranger, or superstar to unlock hero with the main character.
And two people with hustle dance is honestly overkill. The game will provide no challenge. But I can't say it isn't satisfying to power through once you have that.
You just don't need it for the main game at all.

Chase17

1 and 2 don't look great on mobile because of "squished" graphics, but they play perfectly fine and the quicsave feature is great for playing on the go.

Unless you really need buttons, I suggest grabbing I-IV and VI on mobile and playing them all in order. This is what I've been doing for the past month and it's been really great.

1-3 aren't that long too, so you can finish them quite fast. Especially 1.

From what I've read I, II and III are all very good ports on mobile.
I is pretty short and can be beat in a single play session if you know what you're doing, while II is longer and also more tedious, though some people think of it as the better game so ymmv. Both are interesting from a historical standpoint but they're the weakest titles of the franchise as far as I'm concerned and II in particular isn't a game I think I'll ever revisit.
I imagine IV would be a better follow-up to V, but if you're curious enough to see how the franchise started and are very patient/willing to read a walkthrough, you could go for I/II. III supposedly holds up well even nowadays and is sort of a "prequel" to the first two.
Thanks for the answers. I think I'll play DQ1 and decide on 2/3 from there, first game is pretty cheap compared to the others on ios so no harm in giving it a shot. Do like seeing where a series first comes from.
Play DQ9. Its like a best-of all the other games best ideas.
I don't know too much about this one. Would I be missing out on anything without any of the online components or was single player still the main focus of the game?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It's going to be quite a while before you have access to the class system in 6, FYI. You'll have enough time to decide what kinds of stuff you'd like by the time you unlock it!

The path you've given for the hero won't work, though. You have to master one of battlemaster, sage, ranger, or superstar to unlock hero with the main character.
And two people with hustle dance is honestly overkill. The game will provide no challenge. But I can't say it isn't satisfying to power through once you have that.
You just don't need it for the main game at all.
Ah, I see. I thought it opens up in the beginning. As for the Hero, I forgot to add "Battlemaster" before that Hero there.

I don't know too much about this one. Would I be missing out on anything without any of the online components or was single player still the main focus of the game?

The multiplayer was local only so if you wanted you could still do that, but it's really a single player game with multiplayer kinda tacked on. There were also some side quests which were "DLC" but on cart and can be unlocked through other means like save file editing. Honestly the sidequests aren't really worthwhile in that game, other than a few that unlock specific classes, so they're fairly skippable.

Lynx_7

For the most part I never had much of a problem with DQ V's accents besides Sancho, but DQ IV is really bothering me right now. Since english is not my native language I have to stop and reread some of the sentences twice before I can understand what they're trying to say. I really hope Ragnar's chapter is just a particularly bad offender and that it gets better later on.
I tried the NES version but it's just... so... slow... and those encounter rates seemed ridiculously high, I was getting one every 3 to 5 steps. The retro look is quite charming and all but overall it just feels a bit clunky to play, and I'd also miss the bonus chapter from the DS remake. Guess I'll have to get used to the accents.

Aters

Irrelevant but they got Kitase for Mobius FF? SE is being so serious about their mobile titles. When will the DQ live start?

Irrelevant but they got Kitase for Mobius FF? SE is being so serious about their mobile titles. When will the DQ live start?
It was 19 hours ago. I don't see it available anywhere to watch still, apart from niconico which isn't free.

They just talked about the history of the series, so you wouldn't get much if you don't understand Japanese. There wasn't news about a new game or new information on DQ11.

Oreiller

I've been playing through the first two games on mobile those last few days.

DQ1 is still a charming little game, it's pretty outdated nowadays for sure but I've enjoyed my time with the game quite a bit. It's a shame it's so grindy but I guess it would be too short otherwise.

I still haven't finished DQ2 but I think I like it better, probably because there is so much to explore that I don't feel the grind as much.

Anustart

DQ1 is still a charming little game, it's pretty outdated nowadays for sure but I've enjoyed my time with the game quite a bit. It's a shame it's so grindy but I guess it would be too short otherwise.

I still haven't finished DQ2 but I think I like it better, probably because there is so much to explore that I don't feel the grind as much.

I thoroughly enjoyed part 2, which seems to be a rare opinion.

Chase17

What level were you at when you beat the game? I think I'm probably on the last third or so (just saved the princess) and would like to try and space out the grinding.

Chase17

Finished up DQ1 today. Enjoyed it more then I was expecting. Game does a better job of explaining where to go next then I was expecting. Only had to look up a guide a few times. Although it probably helped that in this version of the game they make it pretty clear where the flute, armor, and hidden passage in the final castle are. Grinding didn't feel as bad as I thought it would be either. There were several points in the game that I had to grind at for a while but it wasn't too bad just to break it up every now and then on mobile.

Favorite tracks of the game are probably the overworld and castle theme. Really liked the feel of the game (I don't remember the last time I played a jrpg with only one party member, if I even ever had) and was impressed at how well they managed to make a history to the world/build up Erdrick for being such an early rpg.

From what I can tell you didn't gain anything necessary by saving the princess so I'm curious if you can finish the game without saving her, will have to look into that. Also had no trouble with the final boss but I think it's because I got lucky and got two crits on their second form.

Picked up the second and third games while they were on sale this weekend, and think I will jump right into the second. Heard that this may be the toughest in the series so hopefully I don't end up getting lost too much.

So i've just read (lttp) DQX is getting China release soon.
I know NA is out of the question at this point, but I'm still baffled why they even neglected it.

Consider all the other trash eastern MMOs that got translated and released since DQX was launched 4 years ago.
DQX wouldn't have gotten the FFXIV numbers in the west (pretty obvious), but still do far better than anything else since it is a big budget AAA MMO.

Pretty annoying.

Aeana

So i've just read (lttp) DQX is getting China release soon.
I know NA is out of the question at this point, but I'm still baffled why they even neglected it.

Consider all the other trash eastern MMOs that got translated and released since DQX was launched 4 years ago.
DQX wouldn't have gotten the FFXIV numbers in the west (pretty obvious), but still do far better than anything else since it is a big budget AAA MMO.

Pretty annoying.

There's no way that DQ10 would have been a success in western markets. The design of the game is just too incongruent with the tastes people have for MMOs in the west. And there's so much competition for games that suit those tastes better. Had it released in English, DQ10 would've been criticized for being archaic, not being enough like WoW, or any other similar kinds of things. I personally love it because it feels like a unique game, from the era before everything became like WoW, but that's just not what people want anymore.

Frankly, I don't even expect it to do well in China.

Lynx_7

Just finished the first four chapters of Dragon Quest IV. Thankfully the other accents were much better to read than Ragnar's kingdom, with the exception of ze french, which was also kinda annoying in V but I can handle.

Torneko's chapter was the coolest, if only because if felt so novel and different from most other rpg setups. I'd probably play a whole game like that where you just go dungeon exploring to get new stuff for your shop and expand your business, try new ventures and so on while gaining influence around the world. Maybe I'll give that Mystery Dungeon Torneko game on the PS1 a try.
Just out of curiosity though, was there really not a more efficient way to get the 5 armors and steelswords than just farming in the dungeon? Not that it took particularly long or anything, but I can see it getting a bit tiresome in future playthroughs.

Having a blast with the game so far. It's really remarkable how
post I and II ;P
DQ games are all so close in quality relative to one another. While I can still pinpoint V as my favorite, at least for now, I honestly can't decide which between this and VIII I like better.

Just for future reference: should I play the GBC version of III, or is the SNES fan translation good? While the portability is nice and all, I rather like the visuals of the Famicon remake, and unfortunately I don't have access to the Android version which would be the best alternative.

And regarding VI, is it really worth it to go with the incomplete fan translation of the SNES release rather than the DS remake? I've heard it has a few bugs (not sure which and how serious they are though) and that there's untranslated NPC dialogue. Considering I am the kind of guy that talks to every single NPC in a town, before and after completing a major story event to see everyone's reaction to it, that bothers me a little to say the least. I'm also not sure whether the quality of the translation itself is good or not. I'd appreciate it if someone who played both versions could give me an opinion on this one.
Alternatively, I could try learning Japanese, though I'm sure it'd take at least over a year or two of heavy studying before I could play a DQ in its native language :p

Teknoman

There's no way that DQ10 would have been a success in western markets. The design of the game is just too incongruent with the tastes people have for MMOs in the west. And there's so much competition for games that suit those tastes better. Had it released in English, DQ10 would've been criticized for being archaic, not being enough like WoW, or any other similar kinds of things. I personally love it because it feels like a unique game, from the era before everything became like WoW, but that's just not what people want anymore.

Frankly, I don't even expect it to do well in China.

I would've played the hell out of it. Aside from XIV and its story/art/soundtrack, theme park MMOs just dont do it for me.

Just out of curiosity though, was there really not a more efficient way to get the 5 armors and steelswords than just farming in the dungeon? Not that it took particularly long or anything, but I can see it getting a bit tiresome in future playthroughs.

Pretty sure you can just buy them in certain shops instead of waiting for them to drop. Or hell, ignore the order altogether since making money is easy enough without it by just using your own shop. That task is not actually required to finish the chapter

And regarding VI, is it really worth it to go with the incomplete fan translation of the SNES release rather than the DS remake? I'm also not sure whether the quality of the translation itself is good or not.

The SNES translation would work for someone who just wants to play the game I guess, but there's no reason to pick it over the DS version really. I wouldn't trust anyone who makes translations like this to translate a game competently at any rate so I wouldn't recommend it.

The 3 fan translation probably isn't any better but if that's all you have, it's hard to turn down those purdy graphics in favor of the GBC version...

Cruixant

I wouldn't trust anyone who makes translations like this to translate a game competently at any rate so I wouldn't recommend it.

The 3 fan translation probably isn't any better but if that's all you have, it's hard to turn down those purdy graphics in favor of the GBC version...

Wow, that's bad lol. I personally didn't find anything weird in the fan translation of 3 SFC, even that odd piece of dialogue that someone showed about the girl in the inn on the *story spoiler*
village frozen in time
seemed to be fixed, but that was in the latest patch I found, and I still haven't played it in japanese so I don't really know.

About 6 SFC, most of the missing text supposedly comes from NPC dialogue after you clear a town story, so if you like to talk to everyone like me you will probably get frustrated lol. I personally think that you are more likely to not like the 6 DS if you have played 4 and 5 before due to making the graphics more generic and fatigue, unless you don't care about that. Maybe one of the reasons I like it so much is because it was the first one I played. Otherwise the DS version would be my main to go.

Lynx_7

The SNES translation would work for someone who just wants to play the game I guess, but there's no reason to pick it over the DS version really. I wouldn't trust anyone who makes translations like this to translate a game competently at any rate so I wouldn't recommend it.

The reason I asked is because I keep seeing people say the SNES version is the superior one due to better art style, sound, pacing and apparently some monster mechanics that were scrapped/significantly simplified on the remake. Looking at some of the screenshots, the homogenized look of the DS remake does take away from the atmosphere of the original. I don't know what that screenshot in japanese is saying but I'm assuming it has nothing to do with what's written on the right? Oh well, I can play the DS remake, it's not a big deal, I just really would've liked to experience the "definitive" version of VI. It's such a shame there's basically no interest in retranslating it, which is a bummer when you consider every other DQ, even V SNES - PS2, have somewhat decent fanslations around.
As for III, maybe I'll steal my brother's cellphone and see if it works. lol Otherwise guess I'll stick with the fanslation.

After going through the titles I haven't played yet I'd really like to revisit VIII. I remember back when I first played it (back in 2006 I believe) I was still in the mindset of "always attack, sometimes heal, if fight = failure, then grind Metal Slimes until fight = success", so I'm interested in seeing how it holds up now that I actually know how to properly play RPGs. I hope they don't take too long to localize
, or outright cancel *knock on wood*,
the 3DS rerelease.

Raw64life

So any day now Amazon is going to restore their pre-order listing for the physical copy of Dragon Quest VII and assuage my paranoia that Nintendo has decided to make it digital only right? Right?

Aters

Just watched the DQXI demo again. I want this game so bad. When can SE start talking about it again? They have released everything else in that conference: DQMJ3, DQB, DQH2, and the mobile game, and three out of the four games turned to be great.

IIRC, we are officially less than one year before DQXI's release right? Since DQH2 marks the beginning of the 30th anniversary, and DQXI is supposed to be released within the anniversary year.

Ydelnae

I just started Dragon Quest I, I'm level 9 and got my ass handled to me by the green dragon on the coast cave. I'm playing the series in such a random order. I started the Erdrick trilogy with III, now I'm playing I and when I finish I will try to play II. At least I'm playing them in chronological order.

I did the same with the second trilogy. I started with VI, then played IV, but I left it unfinished. IV and V just seem uninteresting to me, even though they are regarded as one of the best entries. I'll try to give them another chance sometime in the future.

Ydelnae

So I finished DQ1. It only took me two days and I got lost in the overworld like three times not knowing what to do next or missing and item like the Sun Stones (I couldn't find the stairs on the castle, turns out they're OUTSIDE the castle on a place you wouldn't even think of).

I liked it, and it surprised me because I'm not used to playing SNES era RPGs. I couldn't finish the first three FFs for example. But DQI and DQIII felt charming, I think I might actually like them more than the last installments.

My ranking right now would go something like : III > VI > I > IX. Next one to play is II, since I lost interest in my IV playthrough and V would take me more time.

Psxphile

So I finished DQ1. It only took me two days and I got lost in the overworld like three times not knowing what to do next or missing and item like the Sun Stones (I couldn't find the stairs on the castle, turns out they're OUTSIDE the castle on a place you wouldn't even think of).

This secret-hiding gimmick turns up a lot in 8 and 16-bit jrpgs. DQ1 may have even started that tradition [citation needed]. Anyway I'm pretty sure finding the Magic Key shop in Rimuldar was supposed to train you on the idea to do that with other towns to see if they're hiding goodies just offscreen.

Cheerilee

This secret-hiding gimmick turns up a lot in 8 and 16-bit jrpgs. DQ1 may have even started that tradition [citation needed]. Anyway I'm pretty sure finding the Magic Key shop in Rimuldar was supposed to train you on the idea to do that with other towns to see if they're hiding goodies just offscreen.

I don't know if it was exclusive to the NES translation, but there was actually a guy in Rimuldar who told you that the Sun Stones were hiding in Tantegel Castle.

Right after they teach you a new trick, they send you back to that most-common place which you thought you knew everything about.

Torneko's chapter was the coolest, if only because if felt so novel and different from most other rpg setups. I'd probably play a whole game like that where you just go dungeon exploring to get new stuff for your shop and expand your business, try new ventures and so on while gaining influence around the world. Maybe I'll give that Mystery Dungeon Torneko game on the PS1 a try.
You might like Recettear on PC then, its a game that has you manage an item shop, including some dungeon crawling to get more products.

Top Bottom