• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest i for MOBILE: N-Gage can suck it

john tv

This game has made me a believer in the potential of mobile phone games. I want more classic RPGs ported to my phone!

dqmobile.jpg

Final Fantasy is out too, though I'm gonna just play it on GBA instead. I heard Sega was working on Phantasy Star and Namco on Tales of Phantasia, but I wonder if they ever came out? I'll have to look around, I guess.

Any decent phone games in America right now?

Teddman

You forgot, the N-Gage has RIFTS.

In the words of the Nokia exec at their press conference (thick, thick Swedish accent): "We have upcoming a popular RPG game that all you fans of RPG's surely know about. Game is called RRRRRIFTS!!"

[crickets]

"RIFTS! Can you start the video clip please?"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Looks far superior to even the GBC Dragon Quest ports.

BTW did anyone pick up the FF Advance game?

john tv

jiggle said:
How much does one of these mobile games go for in Japan? Are they downloaded or on a cart?

Downloaded. Usually games are 300 yen per month (about $2.75?), but lately some of the more advanced games (like DQ and FF) are a bit more (500 yen per month). Realistically though, it's not all that much -- I mean, you'd pay that much for a weekend rental, right?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
That looks REALLY cool... why is it in the US, we only have stupid cell phone games, like that lame bowling game and Bejewled?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey John TV, isn't the FF game an original story about the the Turks from FFVII? I keep seeing ads in some of the subway stations with Cloud and Sephiroth in the picture...

...Or did they port FF1 as well?

john tv

Lyte Edge said:
Hey John TV, isn't the FF game an original story about the the Turks from FFVII? I keep seeing ads in some of the subway stations with Cloud and Sephiroth in the picture...

...Or did they port FF1 as well?
Yah, they ported FF1 as well. The Turks game is a different game, that's an online action game prequel to Final Fantasy VII called Before Crisis.

jarrod said:
That's because it's based off the SNES Remake.
Actually, it's not -- it's far superior, both graphically and aurally, to the SNES version. This is far and away the best-looking and best-sounding version of DQI to date.

john tv said:
Downloaded. Usually games are 300 yen per month (about $2.75?), but lately some of the more advanced games (like DQ and FF) are a bit more (500 yen per month). Realistically though, it's not all that much -- I mean, you'd pay that much for a weekend rental, right?

I don't understand... Once you download DQ, you have to keep paying for it each month?

That looks fucking awesome by the way. I'd like to play that upcoming SMT game too.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Teddman said:

In the words of the Nokia exec at their press conference (thick, thick Swedish accent): "We have upcoming a popular RPG game that all you fans of RPG's surely know about. Game is called RRRRRIFTS!!"

[crickets]

Rifts is actually a really popular pen&paper RPG. It's really an awesome universe for a game setting. Magic, tech, mythology, alien races, all rolled into one.

I think Gamespy recently listed it as #2 on their all time wish list for License-to-game IPs, but they probably weren't thinking about N-Gage when they said that....

john tv, how do you cancel your subscription to game download sites? When I used to live in Japan, I loaded up my old J-Phone SH-52 with games, and I remember the subscription agreement said that deleting the game would not automatically stop you from being charged. When I deleted the games I got bored with, I forgot where I downloaded them from, and ended up paying 1200y a month for downloading privileges that I wasn't even using.

The worst though are games that charge you first for downloading, and then again for credits! When I downloaded Space Invaders, I found out it cost 100y for 10 credits, on top of the download fee. I was not impressed :(

jarrod

Banned
john tv said:
Actually, it's not -- it's far superior, both graphically and aurally, to the SNES version. This is far and away the best-looking and best-sounding version of DQI to date.
REally? Then they should do DQ1+2 for GBA. :)

suikodan

Teddman said:

[crickets]

I met the producer of the game at E3 and he was all hyped about it.

"What kind of game will it be?"
"Just like the board game, RIFT!"
"Do you have any screenshots? Anything?"
"No, but it looks like RIFT the GAME!"

I left.

Semjaza Azazel said:
I don't understand... Once you download DQ, you have to keep paying for it each month?
It's like a rental. Unless you're a major Dragon Quest 1 whore, you'll probably only pay for a month or two.

MASB

Posted by john tv:

don't think it would sell well at all. The reason these games are selling well is because they're simple, easy and fun. I don't think anyone, even with a heavy dose of nostalgia, is going to want to play through the Famicom Dragon Quest again. Nowadays it's practically unplayable.
When you said that, were you referring to the graphics of the game that made it unplayable or the game itself? If you meant the game itself, then this news is not much to get excited about (beyond the technology aspect of it).

WarPig

It's not so much just the gameplay as the context in which you experience that gameplay. Famicom Dragon Quest is not something you're gonna want to sit down on the couch and plug in a console to play. But if it's on your phone in your pocket and you can pop it out to whack some slimes while you're killing time on a train ride, that's the perfect context for old-school Dragon Quest gameplay. I'd definitely play something like that on my Treo if I could.

By the way, John, I'm pretty sure they didn't do a mobile Tales of Phantasia, but I'm pretty sure they did do some kind of mobile Tales game. I think it was actually a simple strategy-RPG type thing, turn-based combat on a grid.

DFS.

Chittagong

Gold Member
suikodan said:
I met the producer of the game at E3 and he was all hyped about it.

"What kind of game will it be?"
"Just like the board game, RIFT!"
"Do you have any screenshots? Anything?"
"No, but it looks like RIFT the GAME!"

I left.

Bullshit. Kevin Siembieda was there on several occasions, so if you were a journalist considered important you would have got the whole story from himself.

MASB

WarPig said:
It's not so much just the gameplay as the context in which you experience that gameplay. Famicom Dragon Quest is not something you're gonna want to sit down on the couch and plug in a console to play. But if it's on your phone in your pocket and you can pop it out to whack some slimes while you're killing time on a train ride, that's the perfect context for old-school Dragon Quest gameplay. I'd definitely play something like that on my Treo if I could.
The context of John's quote was in regards to a Famicom Mini version of DQ1. So it would have been portable like a mobile phone game, but still with the Famicom graphics. That's why I was asking if it was the graphics or the game itself that made it nearly unplayable.

ferricide

MASB said:
The context of John's quote was in regards to a Famicom Mini version of DQ1. So it would have been portable like a mobile phone game, but still with the Famicom graphics. That's why I was asking if it was the graphics or the game itself that made it nearly unplayable.
famicom DQ is even worse than the US version -- your sprite doesn't turn (when you want to talk or examine you have to pick 'up' 'left' 'down' or 'right') and it uses passwords, not battery save. of course, they could base it on the NES version...

but i sure as hell wouldn't play it at this point. so basic.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Datawhore said:
Rifts is actually a really popular pen&paper RPG. It's really an awesome universe for a game setting. Magic, tech, mythology, alien races, all rolled into one.

I think Gamespy recently listed it as #2 on their all time wish list for License-to-game IPs, but they probably weren't thinking about N-Gage when they said that....

First screenshots of Rifts: Promise of Power have been released. It clearly shares SRPG lineage, but hopefully will add some innovation to a genre in need of some new systems. Recently, Atlus has done a good job driving the SRPG genre forward, but it will be interesting to see what Rifts developer Backbone comes up with.

http://media.ngage.ign.com/media/682/682885/imgs_1.html

Game Method has a good preview too:

http://www.gamemethod.com/Handheld/660/rifts-promise-of-power-ng-preview

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
That's so awesome; first cell phone game to really impress me along with Ridge Racer. :)

It may not be a phone, but I am loving being able to play Chrono Trigger on the go via my Tapwave Zodiac 2 right now.

jedimike

I haven't tried these yet, but they look pretty good. No RPG's available yet. At least not on Verizon.

Dracula

game2709img1068512996.gif
game2709img1068513023.gif

Rated 9/10 on Wireless Gaming Review, get your teeth into this hellishly entertaining title from Universal Studios. Play Eve, an ingenious vampire; exuding sex appeal, ruthless charm, lethal style and supernatural skills no human can match. With powers to make yourself invisible or turn into a bat, you can dodge whips and stakes, take the lives of enemies and suck their blood to recharge your health. Defeat your nemesis, Joanna Von Jager, and recover Dracula's body parts so vampires can rule.

Metal Slug Mobile

game3787img1082477637.gif
game3787img1082477665.gif

Metal Slug by dbi is an exciting and addictive combination of frantic shooting, jumping and driving that constantly surprises and delights. Playing as ace war hero Marco, fight against a variety of enemy snipers and soldiers. Watch out when the enemies bring on heavy artillery like, bazookas or machetes. Use different weapons and machinery at your disposal including a pistol, machine gun, tank and plane. Collect various health and power-ups including gas cans, medical kit and even lollipops!

hethspd

MrSingh said:
Bah hamlanbug! JohnTV, your P900 FOMA phone suX0r. Vodaphone or AU for life!!!!!!

Might be a bit off-topic but can anyone in Japan give me a breakdown of what the pros and cons for each mobile phone service? I'll most likely be moving to Japan in the next month or so, and I have no clue as to whether I'll be using docomo, au-kddi, or vodafone. Also, what the heck is the difference between docomo's foma and mova?

RuGalz

Hey John, how does the cost work? You download the game and can only play for so long before it become invalid or something? Does that mean you have to keep paying if you want to complete the game?

Top Bottom