• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Warrior VII SaleS Numbers?

I'm just curious as to how well this did in the US. I've been looking around for a number, but nothing concrete has come up. Someone told me that Enix of America never gave out any official sales numbers for the game...

Any one know?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
IMO, it did great considering:

-The Graphics were really subpar
-It was released REALLY late (10/31/01)
-There had not been a Dragon Warrior on this side of the lake for many years

There is great probablity for big sales with DW8

belgurdo

Banned
Suikoguy said:
IMO, it did great considering:

-The Graphics were really subpar
-It was released REALLY late
-There had not been a Dragon Warrior on this side of the lake for many years

There is great probablity for big sales with DW8

VIII is probably a guaranteed 500,000 due to the graphics alone, but I seriously hope they fixed the gameplay from the dull, broken mess that was VII

cvxfreak

^I don't think so. The series has just never been that popular here. I think the two Japanese GBA titles would be profitable, but not DQ8 or DQ5.

There's a lot of things to keep in mind, some were mentioned.

1.) VII was coming off of only Game Boy titles in the States. IV was released way in the early 90s and only sold around 80,000 copies. It had no real momentum of its own behind it to help push it like some bigger RPGs do.

2.) The game looked pretty much awful outside of the awesome battle animations. The FMV was atrocious and the main characters were terrible, two frame animated sprites that barely resembled their original art.

3.) It came out when the PSX was on its last legs and received a relatively small run of print ads.

4.) VIII is the first great looking DQ title (although I think 6 looked good for its time). It's also the first time that Akira Toriyama's designs really have been obvious in the main characters. I think this alone will help the game out, especially considering how DBZ like a lot of the characters are. That anime is still surprisingly popular for whatever reason.

5.) The game looks great graphically otherwise, which will definitely help.

6.) This is probably the most important -- They're not just Enix anymore. They're Square Enix. While this might not matter much in Japan, it matters a LOT here. Square USA has more pull and marketing muscle than Enix of America could have ever had in its wildest dreams.

Between that, fans of the series and people who will likely be interested just because of the Square Enix branding... I'm positive it'll be the best selling DQ game in US history. I expect it to do pretty damn well.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't think it will reach a million, but 700,000 is not impossible

Square should set their goal at 500k just to play it safe. It should do that along with its 3.5-4million in Japan. This game will be helped since they can market it on TV. With DW7 it wouldn't really be possible to put together TV ads that actually made people want it. Neither the ingame or FMV graphics were impressive enough to show in ads. This time around they've got one of the best looking RPG's out there, and Toriyama's designs should help out alot.

jett

D-Member
belgurdo said:
VIII is probably a guaranteed 500,000 due to the graphics alone, but I seriously hope they fixed the gameplay from the dull, broken mess that was VII

Please, tell me who is it "broken". *rolls eyes*

xavean

While we're talking sales figures here, can someone pull up Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy Chronicles, and Final Fantasy Origins for me? I'd really appreciate it! :)

Top Bottom