• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Dresden

Man, some of the animation is just amazingly smooth. The hydra was awesome. Watching it coil and wrap around a watchtower was SICK.

1stStrike

Banned
After raging at the AI and taking a break I came back and magically went through everything without any problems, so I'm at the first major city now. I didn't realize that one of the quests I had would suddenly become uncompletable, though, so I inadvertently failed a quest -_-

I'm pretty much set on assassin. They get bonsues for traveling at night and for traveling alone, so I think that's the route I'm going to go. Anything to reduce how many AI dudes I need to have with me.

DeathOnALeash

Neo Member
The Incubus(?) below the Pawn guild is ridiculous. It kidnaps your female pawns and tries to runaway with them.

Mine was strange, he grabbed me and then jumped backward (at 3/4 health) all the way down to the bottom. I took no damage, he died. He did fall on his back, just don't know why he decided to take the Nestea plunge to the bottom.

After raging at the AI and taking a break I came back and magically went through everything without any problems, so I'm at the first major city now. I didn't realize that one of the quests I had would suddenly become uncompletable, though, so I inadvertently failed a quest -_-

I'm pretty much set on assassin. They get bonsues for traveling at night and for traveling alone, so I think that's the route I'm going to go. Anything to reduce how many AI dudes I need to have with me.

Really? You can fail quests that early? What quest?

demigod

Wtf, Amazon promotional codes only last a fucking week? And I can't even buy gift cards with them. Haven't received the weapons DLC email either yet.

Nester-san

Neo Member
Wtf, Amazon promotional codes only last a fucking week? And I can't even buy gift cards with them. Haven't received the weapons DLC email either yet.

Just a note, If you pre-ordered from Amazon and have not heard about the DLC, just do a chat online with their help and they will give you the code instantly.

1stStrike

Banned
Really? You can fail quests that early? What quest?

It was the one where you had to tell that dude that his brother died or something. I never got around to finding him, and figured I'd come back later. Once I got to the capital city it was just like "BLAM! You can't do that quest anymore, but we neglected to tell you that." :|

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I kinda like the second to last hair so I can make a character similar to Beatrix in FFIX,
but even then, overall I wouldn't get it.

The armor that comes with the DLC (PS3) is pretty awesome... though I'm not using it. I don't like early game buffs. But it looks pretty cool.

Loving this game so far.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There's an incredible granularity to this game's world. All the little things that "should" work, that you "should" be able to do in a freeform adventure actually do happen or tend to work.

That and despite the generic fantasy appearance at a very quick glance, there's a ton of detail and careful construction IMO. The technical quality is middling by some standards; does indeed seem that the game is pushing the limit of what MT Framework can do on the current consoles. But it makes up for it with what it accomplishes. The world feels alive in so many subtle ways; so much foliage animation, wind, atmospherics, small animals.

Favorite thing so far is how it feels solid. Like a refined action game but in a sandbox. It had to have taken a hell of a lot of work to retain nuanced and physical mechanics in a freeform environment where so many things can go wrong or fail to line up correctly. The remaining glitches and janky bits are forgivable. I get the sense this kind of design ambition pushes the limits of what's currently possible by any standard.

And honestly, I have decided I like how the story is so minimal. This is game about doing shit, not pressing buttons until the next cut scene triggers. Dragon rocks up, fucks you up, leaves you for dead. Then you wake up and dragon literally says "come at me bro". You grab a sword and fucking go. That's it.

In a strange way, the game so far is what I thought Dark Souls was going to be. Not that there's anything wrong with Dark Souls. But the initial screens and description of an open world made me think of a Japanese take on the western sandbox RPG, with careful step by step meaty combat and carefully arranged scenarios but intimidating due to being dropped into a whole wide world of it. DS ended up being a 3D metroidvania dungeon tour de force. Meanwhile, this is like a fine balance between the intricate interaction and scenarios of a souls game and a more forgiving wide open world to play around in.

Also really appreciate how much life there is to the enemy mobs. That they talk to each other, yell at you to call you out or taunt, and when they're not aggro do stuff like relax in a river and bathe. Not trying to oversell my impressions, but the closest thing I can compare this to is how an AD&D world would seem if rendered in close up, explorable 3D and full of life. With the monster manual ecosystem fully realized and incredibly animated and interactive.

Oh yeah, title song vies with Eternity for maximum ownage in the arena of glorious cheese.

There's an incredible granularity to this game's world. All the little things that "should" work, that you "should" be able to do in a freeform adventure actually do happen or tend to work.

That and despite the generic fantasy appearance at a very quick glance, there's a ton of detail and careful construction IMO. The technical quality is middling by some standards; does indeed seem that the game is pushing the limit of what MT Framework can do on the current consoles. But it makes up for it with what it accomplishes. The world feels alive in so many subtle ways; so much foliage animation, wind, atmospherics, small animals.

Favorite thing so far is how it feels solid. Like a refined action game but in a sandbox. It had to have taken a hell of a lot of work to retain nuanced and physical mechanics in a freeform environment where so many things can go wrong or fail to line up correctly. The remaining glitches and janky bits are forgivable. I get the sense this kind of design ambition pushes the limits of what's currently possible by any standard.

And honestly, I have decided I like how the story is so minimal. This is game about doing shit, not pressing buttons until the next cut scene triggers. Dragon rocks up, fucks you up, leaves you for dead. Then you wake up and dragon literally says "come at me bro". You grab a sword and fucking go. That's it.

In a strange way, the game so far is what I thought Dark Souls was going to be. Not that there's anything wrong with Dark Souls. But the initial screens and description of an open world made me think of a Japanese take on the western sandbox RPG, with careful step by step meaty combat and carefully arranged scenarios but intimidating due to being dropped into a whole wide world of it. DS ended up being a 3D metroidvania dungeon tour de force. Meanwhile, this is like a fine balance between the intricate interaction and scenarios of a souls game and a more forgiving wide open world to play around in.

Also really appreciate how much life there is to the enemy mobs. That they talk to each other, yell at you to call you out or taunt, and when they're not aggro do stuff like relax in a river and bathe. Not trying to oversell my impressions, but the closest thing I can compare this to is how an AD&D world would seem if rendered in close up, explorable 3D and full of life. With the monster manual ecosystem fully realized and incredibly animated and interactive.

Oh yeah, title song vies with Eternity for maximum ownage in the arena of glorious cheese.

I agree.

I really like how this game has been put together.

joe2187

Banned
Dont go out at night....seriously...dont do it man.

I mean it.

seriously man...dont do it.

I'm warning you man....

*gets raped by horde of zombies, chimera and some fucken 8 foot tall black knight guy that one hit kills my pawns*

The armor that comes with the DLC (PS3) is pretty awesome... though I'm not using it. I don't like early game buffs. But it looks pretty cool.

Loving this game so far.

I'll have to consider this in the future if I decided to replay the game n throw 2 bucks around. I plan for a playthrough for each class.

What does everyone think of the Pawn community? I haven't messed w it much but I didn't like the fact that you couldnt do a search by names/PSN ID

Gonna run another (super late night) stream of the PS3 version if anyone cares to see it in action.

I'm gonna be running a camera/mic (which I usually don't do this late) to chat with folks. The action may be slow and boring though as it's only my second time sitting down with the game and the first time I was streaming also so I didn't spend much time in the menus/towns/etc learning stuff. So I'm gonna do that now.

But, if that sounds interesting, join me :) http://www.justin.tv/famousmortimer

wanders

So wussup with the expiring quests? Is there any warning? I thought I can grab as many quests as I can then then finish them as they come up.

dk_

Very interested in Dragon's Dogma, but there's, you know, Diablo. :-/ Bad timing, so I'm picking this up later.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Goddamn the witchwood quest was rough. I actually like how the fact that I did this early means my pawn knows that quest and would be a good pick for someone lower leveled about to go there. The knowledge they get is actually a pretty good reason to try and challenge yourself. I killed so many wolves that I basically encumbered myself up to very heavy, which makes you really go slow as hell.

Played the game for a few hours today, really enjoying it but I'm not a fan of the way nighttime sections work. It looks great, and makes your trek extremely unnerving, but I've found that the darkness is simply used as a way to mask enemy spawns, and it's extremely annoying to be ganked by a hundred wolves in a matter of minutes. I even saw one spawn out of thin air, for christ's sake.

If it wasn't for that, I'd probably have no quarrel with the game thus far. It's pretty awesome, and I love the menu music.

Schwabe

i played only 3h so far, but i noticed that roaming pawns in gransys are also playermade. i met one on the way between gran soren and the encampment, talked to him and could send a friend request. i though roaming pawns were randomly generated, and player pawns only at the rift.

So is everyone making mage pawns? I swear that's all I see. My first was, but then I restarted, made a warrior pawn and I swear she is getting used like multiple times as often.

Lol at some of the ratings people give. 1 appearance, 5 battle, 3 helpfulness on my tank pawn??? She isn't THAT bad looking. It's one scar!

Kevtones

'checking demo for saved data' = 20 minutes+still 'checking demo for saved data'

I just deleted the demo and started installing. I want to play.

Papercuts

So is everyone making mage pawns? I swear that's all I see. My first was, but then I restarted, made a warrior pawn and I swear she is getting used like multiple times as often.

Lol at some of the ratings people give. 1 appearance, 5 battle, 3 helpfulness on my tank pawn??? She isn't THAT bad looking. It's one scar!

I started as a Strider so I figured a melee class would be a good pawn to go with it, meaning I need a mage from the pawn pool. Maybe a lot of people thought mages would be highly needed and wanted their pawns to get used.

I started as a Strider so I figured a melee class would be a good pawn to go with it, meaning I need a mage from the pawn pool. Maybe a lot of people thought mages would be highly needed and wanted their pawns to get used.

Maybe. Maybe I'm just getting weird results. But in both games 6 out of 10 pawns are Mage, 2-3 are Warrior and 1-2 are Strider. And as I said, my Warrior Pawn has seen like 4x as much use.

Papercuts

Maybe. Maybe I'm just getting weird results. But in both games 6 out of 10 pawns are Mage, 2-3 are Warrior and 1-2 are Strider. And as I said, my Warrior Pawn has seen like 4x as much use.

Do you mean out of the pool of pawns that come in when you go into the rift? I think that's all just randomized.

I've found that the darkness is simply used as a way to mask enemy spawns, and it's extremely annoying to be ganked by a hundred wolves in a matter of minutes. I even saw one spawn out of thin air, for christ's sake.

heh

I noticed that roaming pawns in gransys are also playermade. I though roaming pawns were randomly generated, and player pawns only at the rift.

Interesting. Saves some hassle then.

i played only 3h so far, but i noticed that roaming pawns in gransys are also playermade. i met one on the way between gran soren and the encampment, talked to him and could send a friend request. i though roaming pawns were randomly generated, and player pawns only at the rift.
You can tell because an 'accessing server' symbol pops up while you're walking around.

DeathOnALeash

Neo Member
Is the strategy guide worth it? A combinable material list sure would be helpful, plus some of these quests are a pain to find.
Witches Brew, can't find where to go.

Top Bottom