• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Am I the only one who is generally against respec'ing?

Don't get me wrong, it's like fast travel. I'm glad it's there for the people who enjoy that sort of thing, but when I choose a class at the beginning of the game I feel like I should commit to it. I feel like experiencing the feel of every class in one playthrough would seriously cut back on replay value for me.

In a game like DD, I think I'd depend a lot more on making smart Pawn choices over constantly switching my class for any given situation, but perhaps this is the wrong way to look at this game. I understand that a truly optimized character will have had to level up as different classes. Who knows, maybe it'll feel more natural to me in this game than in a game like Kingdoms of Amalur.

I guess this isn't technically respec'ing so much as changing your "job" ala Tactics, but you get the idea. It would feel weird to me to have a Fighter who occasionally becomes a Sorcerer.

The thing about re-speccing in DD is that the classes/vocations allow vastly different styles of play. I think it's ok if you'd like to experiment different play styles for certain situations.

Rubikant

Another advantage changing vocations bring is that each one has a different stat bonus when your character levels up. Here's the breakdown up to level 100 :

HP = health, Stam = stamina, MD = Magick Defense, Def = Defense, MA = Magick Attack, Atk = Attack (Strength)

Levels 1-10:

Fighter: HP+30 Stam+20 Atk+4 Def+3 MA+2 MD+2
Strider: HP+25 Stam+25 Atk+3 Def+3 MA+3 MD+2
Mage: HP+22 Stam+20 Atk+2 Def+3 MA+4 MD+3

Levels 10-100:

Fighter: HP+37 Stam+15 Atk+4 Def+4 MA+2 MD+1
Warrior: HP+40 Stam+20 Atk+5 Def+3 MA+2 MD+1
Mystic Knight: HP+30 Stam+20 Atk+2 Def+3 MA+3 MD+3
Strider: HP+25 Stam+25 Atk+3 Def+3 MA+3 MD+2
Ranger: HP+21 Stam+30 Atk+4 Def+2 MA+3 MD+2
Assassin: HP+22 Stam+27 Atk+6 Def+2 MA+2 MD+1
Mage: HP+21 Stam+10 Atk+2 Def+1 MA+4 MD+4
Sorcerer: HP+16 Stam+15 Atk+2 Def+1 MA+5 MD+5
Magic Archer: HP+20 Stam+20 Atk+2 Def+3 MA+3 MD+4

Ha ha ha! Sorry... I just find it amusing that you quoted me and replied with another post I wrote myself from a different forum (I'm Zauron on the GFaqs boards).

Anyway yes, there's that too! :)

Er, it's not exactly that. You can upgrade a weapon but it stays the same weapon and doesn't gain any new elemental damage or anything. Each weapon has 4 levels of upgrade, which just increases stats or resistance and reduces weight.

Very few gain a debilitation after you've upgraded them 2-3 times.

There's no crafting of armor or weapons and the upgrade system isn't that deep, just 3 or 4 upgrades per equipment.

D'oh, that's what I get for just jumping into the conversation.

Alright, I can live with that. Less like Monster Hunter, and more like (a very lax version) of Onimusha's upgrade system. That's fine as well.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ok guys, here's the deal. I want to get this day one, already got the cash set aside and everything BUT my 360 recently started giving me dirty disc errors while playing Halo Reach (well, my son playing that non-stop actually) and Mass Effect 3 (which would be the first time I've seen the error outside of Reach). Yesterday I used some compressed air on the disc drive to see if maybe the laser had some particles on it and after doing so, things seem to be okay. Is there a good chance that my drive is dying? If so, how long do I have until nothing reads at all? And outside of that, if it did die, would I still be able to play games on demand off the hard drive (I'm assuming DD will be there eventually)? Thanks.

Derrick01

Banned
Am I the only one who is generally against respec'ing?

Don't get me wrong, it's like fast travel. I'm glad it's there for the people who enjoy that sort of thing, but when I choose a class at the beginning of the game I feel like I should commit to it. I feel like experiencing the feel of every class in one playthrough would seriously cut back on replay value for me.

In a game like DD, I think I'd depend a lot more on making smart Pawn choices over constantly switching my class for any given situation, but perhaps this is the wrong way to look at this game. I understand that a truly optimized character will have had to level up as different classes. Who knows, maybe it'll feel more natural to me in this game than in a game like Kingdoms of Amalur.

I guess this isn't technically respec'ing so much as changing your "job" ala Tactics, but you get the idea. It would feel weird to me to have a Fighter who occasionally becomes a Sorcerer.

I like committing to a choice but after enough hours it can get boring playing the same way. I changed my spec for fun in WoW a lot of times just to experiment with new abilities and new strategies, granted I had like a full year of real life time put into my character whereas DD will probably be 100 hours tops.

The thing about re-speccing in DD is that the classes/vocations allow vastly different styles of play. I think it's ok if you'd like to experiment different play styles for certain situations.

It's definitely okay, and I'm glad the game affords that freedom to its players. I just don't think I'll be taking advantage of it all that much - it's just that, you see. How different all the playstyles are. I don't want to master every single class and say "Welp, I've seen everything this game has to offer". But I guess we all have to come to that point eventually.

I'll try my hand at jumping around between vocations, but I don't think I'll start the game as one archetype and end it as something else entirely.

Rubikant

D'oh, that's what I get for just jumping into the conversation.

Alright, I can live with that. Less like Monster Hunter, and more like (a very lax version) of Onimusha's upgrade system. That's fine as well.

I think the part that makes it still somewhat like Monster Hunter is the fact that in order to do the upgrades, you need materials. Those materials drop from monsters or are found/mined/etc., and which monster drops the material depends on the material (so, unlike many other RPG's, you aren't going to kill a wolf and have it drop a gemstone or something). Often, the materials require special effort, such as chopping a tusk off of a cyclops, or the tail off of a lizard.

That feels pretty similar to Monster Hunter to me, and I much prefer it because, like MH, it means that if you want to upgrade a specific weapon, you can note which specific materials you need and then go hunt the exact monster that drops it. It feels better to me than just killing random stuff and hoping that randomly something cool will spawn (ala Diablo). It feels like you are working toward a goal, even if the item drops somewhat rarely from whatever monster gives it.

I also much prefer this system of mostly purchasing weapons and then finding rare materials ala Monster Hunter to upgrade them, than having some kind of "blacksmith skill" where I have to myself become a crafter of items and gain skill to make the best gear. In this, like in MH, you are using an NPC to actually do the weapon upgrades. That makes a whole lot more sense to me - why on earth would my adventuring hero take the time to master blacksmithing, and somehow become better at it in his spare time than blacksmiths throughout the world and history that have spent their lives on their craft? Its absurd, not to mention boring. I know some players really dig that stuff, but they can go play some other game as there's plenty with crafting systems. Me, I'd rather chop a tusk off a giant beast and bring it to an NPC to make the sword I bought that much better any day.

If you can't tell, I'm actually quite excited about the looting/upgrading system in this game because its more realistic than most RPGs, gives you goals to shoot for and makes it clear what you need to do to get the items you want, is not nearly as dependant on a random number generator, isn't going to waste hours of your time sorting through 100's of randomly-generated weapons you picked up trying to figure out which one is ACTUALLY better, and makes money seem valuable and useful. Basically, it doesn't waste my time but still gives me something compelling. Awesome.

They don't.

W2Y2O.gif

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm going to brutalize this game so intensely that I fully expect to have all the jobs fully leveled at some point. End game is to actually have a Lvl 200 character so why in the holy hell not. I can only imagine how beastly a character with all of the attribute bonuses applied could potentially be.

Fully upgraded assassin with ranked out assassin gear and my skill set memorized. Disable all hud elements and go for a walk. This game is going to be a serious contender for GOTY unless I end up having a completely different experience than I am expecting .. and after the demo... i'm confident that I'm gonna love every single minute.

Can someone with a guide please explain how that Ur-Dragon or whatever it's called works?

I also much prefer this system of mostly purchasing weapons and then finding rare materials ala Monster Hunter to upgrade them, than having some kind of "blacksmith skill" where I have to myself become a crafter of items and gain skill to make the best gear. In this, like in MH, you are using an NPC to actually do the weapon upgrades. That makes a whole lot more sense to me - why on earth would my adventuring hero take the time to master blacksmithing, and somehow become better at it in his spare time than blacksmiths throughout the world and history that have spent their lives on their craft? Its absurd, not to mention boring. I know some players really dig that stuff, but they can go play some other game as there's plenty with crafting systems. Me, I'd rather chop a tusk off a giant beast and bring it to an NPC to make the sword I bought that much better any day.

In addition to that point, few and far between are the crafting systems that can't be abused to high heaven to the detriment of the game itself. DD's system should keep people in check, for the most part.

ironcreed

Banned
In addition to that point, few and far between are the crafting systems that can't be abused to high heaven to the detriment of the game itself. DD's system should keep people in check, for the most part.

That is actually a great point which I have not really considered. No blacksmithing exploits to give you the best weapons and armor here. Work for it and explore, then level it up within what is allowed.

branny

I think Eppy has the right idea. :lol

I still can't decide what vocation I'm going to "main". I love how we're not stuck, but it's really hard for me to choose since they all seem desirable in some way or another to me. I always play as magic classes, so that immediately puts Mage, Sorcerer, Magick Archer, and Mystic Knight on my radar, even if they're vastly different from one another. I also loved Strider in the demo and will likely enjoy Ranger and Assassin just as much. Then my Monster Hunter spirit kicks in and even makes Fighter (SnS) and Warrior (GS/SA) seem like loads of fun, too.

I'm going to brutalize this game so intensely that I fully expect to have all the jobs fully leveled at some point. End game is to actually have a Lvl 200 character so why in the holy hell not. I can only imagine how beastly a character with all of the attribute bonuses applied could potentially be.

Fully upgraded assassin with ranked out assassin gear and my skill set memorized. Disable all hud elements and go for a walk. This game is going to be a serious contender for GOTY unless I end up having a completely different experience than I am expecting .. and after the demo... i'm confident that I'm gonna love every single minute.

Can someone with a guide please explain how that Ur-Dragon or whatever it's called works?

Imagine one-shotting an ogre

I still can't decide what vocation I'm going to "main". I love how we're not stuck, but it's really hard for me to choose since they all seem desirable in some way or another to me. I always play as magic classes, so that immediately puts Mage, Sorcerer, Magick Archer, and Mystic Knight on my radar, even if they're vastly different from one another. I also loved Strider in the demo and will likely enjoy Ranger and Assassin just as much. Then my Monster Hunter spirit kicks in and even makes Fighter (SnS) and Warrior (GS/SA) seem like loads of fun, too.

I know that feel. I want a longbow, a shortbow, a longsword, a warhammer, twin daggers and brutal magic :p

I'll try and make your choice easier: remember that only the Arisen can use hybrid classes like assassin, mystic knight, and magick archer. So if you don't main one of these exclusive and flexible classes they will sadly be going to waste.

Not shitting on anyone who's decided to main with a basic or advanced class, but I've personally narrowed down my decision to one of those three. Probably assassin.

abundant

From what I've read, the Ur-Dragon fight is on an eight minute timer. Once time runs out, it flies away. I don't know what the prize is for landing the killing blow, put the other loot you get for damaging it looks to be items used for upgrading equipment.

Ha ha ha! Sorry... I just find it amusing that you quoted me and replied with another post I wrote myself from a different forum (I'm Zauron on the GFaqs boards).

Sorry for forgetting to give credit to you.

Magic Archer or Strider? I can't decide!

At the start of the game, you have three choices: mage, strider, and fighter. However, while there are ‘advanced’ options available as you progress through the game, these advanced classes aren’t necessarily upgrades, and the option to stay as one of the three “starter” vocations remains viable. Each class has unique abilities that their advanced counterparts will not be able to access; when you opt to switch to, say, a Warrior from a Fighter, you aren’t advancing along the same class, but rather, switching altogether to a different playstyle with all its strengths and weaknesses.

Magic Archer should be the advanced vocation for a Strider. It's what I plan on rolling.

Rubikant

Shields in this game seem boring to me. I always loved using SnS and Lances in MH, but in DD it looks a bit too clunky.

Really? Huh, I had the opposite reaction, I found the shield to be done quite well, at least on a Fighter. The perfectly-timed block (parry, whatever) can be used even on really large monsters and stuns them, which is awesome. There is some great ideas for shield use in the skills, like banging the shield to draw attention (makes way more sense than yelling insults at animals, i.e. "taunt" skills), launching people into the air with the shield as a platform, and of course the standard fun stuff like just bashing things to death with it. I decided that I may want to main Fighter largely because of how great the shield worked.

Yet in Monster Hunter I didn't really care for the shield much, would rather just dodge. I guess different strokes for different folks eh?

LProtag

If you're going to go Magick Archer it looks like Strider or Mage would be the best to start with. Strider is really balanced, so you'd have good stat gains around the board, but Mage has more useful augments for a Magick Archer, such as boosting your magick stat.

I'm probably going to start as a Strider, grab some stuff from Mage and Sorcerer while spending most of my time as a Magick Archer.

I wonder how long it takes to rank up a vocation though, as the best augments are obviously on rank 9. It says how much XP is required for ranks in the guide, but is more ambiguous on how much is require for leveling. Ranking up a vocation to rank 9 seems to be anywhere from 29-50k XP depending on the vocation, basic ones taking the least and advanced then hybrid taking the most. It just says that you need about 16k XP to hit level 21. I guess you could fully rank up a vocation in a few levels then, when you're in the 20's at least.

Arcteryx

http://www.gameplox.com/2012/05/18/dragons-dogma-review-goblins-and-griffins-and-ghosts-oh-my/

Heavy wind can get to be a bit annoying if you’re wearing light armor, as you’ll be blown blown around and staggered, but the effort they put in to that is quite cool nonetheless. Of course, if you’re on top of a castle defending your life against a wyvern and you’re blown back and forth, it gets intense.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Don’t think of Skyrim or Dark Souls while playing Dragon’s Dogma; just take this unique experience and enjoy it for what it is.
brofist9hf8m.gif

Another great review!!!

Awesome guys, thanks for the responses. I just read through the OT (great job by the way, Dresden) and now understand the classes better. Now does the Magic Archer use a staff or blade along with their bow?

ironcreed

Banned

"Dragon’s Dogma’s brilliance shouldn’t come off as a surprise if you’ve paid any attention to the trailers and info since it was announced. Sure, the demo was a bit lackluster, but the game is so much more than that limited perspective gives; the pre-launch trickle of news made many think it would be something special, and they were right. With a competent story and a bewildering ending(at least the one I got– there are multiple ones for your replaying enjoyment), satisfying combat and level progression, an amazingly careful attention to detail in every possible aspect, and more, it’s hard to not find yourself swayed."

Very nice indeed.

LProtag

Awesome guys, thanks for the responses. I just read through the OT (great job by the way, Dresden) and now understand the classes better. Now does the Magic Archer use a staff or blade along with their bow?

They can use daggers or a staff.

So it all depends on if you want to get up close and do some damage or stay far away the entire time and attack with spells. They have more unique skills for daggers than staff, I believe.

It would make sense that if you went from Strider to Magick Archer you would want to use daggers and if you went from Mage to Magick Archer you would probably want to use a staff. You'd already have a bunch of skills unlocked for them.

If you can't tell, I'm actually quite excited about the looting/upgrading system in this game because its more realistic than most RPGs, gives you goals to shoot for and makes it clear what you need to do to get the items you want, is not nearly as dependant on a random number generator, isn't going to waste hours of your time sorting through 100's of randomly-generated weapons you picked up trying to figure out which one is ACTUALLY better, and makes money seem valuable and useful. Basically, it doesn't waste my time but still gives me something compelling. Awesome.

Well put; I don't have a personal preference for upgrade systems myself, but I find it easier to get started when I can leave it to an NPC to handle it instead of dealing with it on my own, and when the variables involved are relatively simple.

From what I've read, the Ur-Dragon fight is on an eight minute timer. Once time runs out, it flies away. I don't know what the prize is for landing the killing blow, put the other loot you get for damaging it looks to be items used for upgrading equipment.
Seems interesting. I wonder how long it will take to respawn, if it respawns at all.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Between the power lung stabby attacks via Assassin Sword skills and the powered up single draw Bow skill via the assassin bow skills... I think i just may have to treck this shit alone. Can not wait to dominate the hell out of this game.

Still wondering - when you send your pawn out into the wild does it physically remove him from your group in your game? Making it extremely easy to journey by yourself?

I'll need a maxed out level set of daggers for the stealth skills (just in case) and that shield (REALLY just in case) but other than that i've become completely enamored with the assassin class. I was worried for a while that it was too much of jack of all trades master of none but after going through his skill sets and looking at his stat progression ... assassin class really is the pure damage dealing beast i was hoping he would be. SO EXCITE

I don't suppose the guide lists weapons/weapon names and such? If so .. if someone could PM me some high level swords that seem tailored toward my midnight murder sprees... i would really appreciate it!! :)

Drewfonse

Really, really looking forward to this. Loved the demo. Leaning towards Strider---Magick Archer, but there are so many appealing options. Is there a comprehensive skills and character info link that someone could provide me with?

Also, at what level can you start to go Hybrid Class? For instance, Magick Archer. Thanks!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Apparently Dragon's Dogma has broken the 500,000 pre-order mark in Japan, according to Capcom-Unity. If true, that's amazing news.

Apparently Dragon's Dogma has broken the 500,000 pre-order mark in Japan, according to Capcom-Unity. If true, that's amazing news.

I thought it might have a chance of breaking into the Dark Souls territory (300,000+) but that'd be amazing if that translates into consumer sales, as it could just be talking about retailer orders.

Great! I Just got shipping confirmation this afternoon, Tuesday can't come fast enough.

I hope the holiday on Monday doesn't delay it, those excerpts from the reviews everyone's posting is getting me hyped up.

I like this part from CVG's review:

It's the challenge that makes Dragon's Dogma special. It's an incredibly ruthless game, and never tells you if an area, enemy, or quest, is too tough for you: you have to find out for yourself, which usually ends in an unceremonious death. But there'sa great satisfaction in getting utterly trounced by a boss, only to return when you're a few levels stronger and totally destroy it.

That's really awesome.

Top Bottom