• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

AlexBasch

I know everyone in here are master drivers and would put any F1 pilot to shame, but let me share the culmination of a night of work.

The video, aptly named, shows how I managed to clear one course from the RPM tour or whatever those are called, and boy, did I suffer in those damn turns. Even if it was a very, very tight time, I'm proud of getting the three stars after several hours of trying.

Also, quick question for the experts, are drifts really necessary to do a proper, fast turn? I used a little bit of drifting in my video to get ahead of the ghost, but sometimes I'm not sure if I would do better by doing a normal turn using the brake.

Makikou

I know everyone in here are master drivers and would put any F1 pilot to shame, but let me share the culmination of a night of work.

The video, aptly named, shows how I managed to clear one course from the RPM tour or whatever those are called, and boy, did I suffer in those damn turns. Even if it was a very, very tight time, I'm proud of getting the three stars after several hours of trying.

Also, quick question for the experts, are drifts really necessary to do a proper, fast turn? I used a little bit of drifting in my video to get ahead of the ghost, but sometimes I'm not sure if I would do better by doing a normal turn using the brake.

Drifting is rarely faster since when your wheels are spinning, you're not applying power to the ground thus, not accelerating.

I see we haven't met. :D

Well done! These point to point time trials are the most nerve-racking thing in the game for me, because i have a hard time remembering every single turn and the further i get, the more nervous i get thinking that i will fuck up any second, so my my concentration starts to slip and just that happens. I love those tracks, they are beautiful and everything, but for time trials i much prefer circuits, which are shorter and easier to remember, so i know i can make good in the next lap, even if i mess up the current one. :)

As for drifting, i generally don't go for drifts outside of drift events, what i do with some cars though is use their tendency to slide (like the Corvette in your example) a bit in corners to my advantage, without actively initiating drifts. I'd say hitting the apex at the right speed is superior to drifting around corners in the majority of cases. Anyway, the AI can be notoriously slow taking corners, so that is where you have to make it count the most, which you did very well early on.

AlexBasch

Thanks defender. :D

I kinda like those when they're hot laps, like 1:20-2 minutes long, because when it's a long course like the one in the video, I lose interest way too quickly after I mess up a section.

Noticed the AI taking too long to take the corners in some courses, especially the ones when it's all crowded by a line, I just slam the pedal, do a quick drift and line myself up leaving everyone behind, but I should learn to do proper turns. :p

Been loving this game a lot, it's basically my non-stop game right now and the price tag of $20 was definitely worth it. :)

farmerboy

It just warms the cockles of my heart when I see new comers genuinely enthused and surprised at how good the game is.

Hi Rushy,

Any chance you can ask your Graphics team about this blotchy filter that seems to be underneath or on top of everything the game is doing. Perhaps it's possible to have an option to turn it off, or an explanation of what it is exactly ?

These are screenshots captured by DC photo mode and exported by PS4 share button. The blotches are also there during gameplay not just in photo mode. I have only just got the game but I'm surprised that this isn't a known issue or been mentioned by someone before as it impacts on the visuals in gameplay and your ability to take photos also.

The blotches appear to be static and don't switch or move, they just stay in the same position as you can see in the shots below.

I would really appreciate any answers or info you can find out. Thanks for your time.

rG0tbdU.jpg

Xo7qIdq.jpg

o6NSmrO.jpg

u9yeNY8.jpg

What if you set your Deep Color output to off?

Here is how to change: PS4 Settings > Video Output Settings > Deep Color Output to off.

Whb29

Here is how to change: PS4 Settings > Video Output Settings > Deep Color Output to off.

I've been seeing this since day one, but mostly on the clouds/sky from the vista shots before the race. My TV is not very uniform so I've always assumed it was that. I don't see it on any other games though. Wierd?

I've been seeing this since day one, but mostly on the clouds/sky from the vista shots before the race. My TV is not very uniform so I've always assumed it was that. I don't see it on any other games though. Wierd?

Hoho yeah it is weird, indeed. Have you tinkering with Automatic RGB settings, too?

@rushy please come.

j-wood

I just bought the season pass. Damn this game is good. What a turn around from launch.

Is the bikes expansion worth it?

I just bought the season pass. Damn this game is good. What a turn around from launch.

Before you buy Bikes expansion you should try free EBR tour (download via ps store). You can take a demo about bikes and then you can decide if you want to buy or not.

TL;DR: just buy, lol

Before you buy Bikes expansion you should try free EBR tour (download via ps store). You can take a demo about bikes and then you can decide if you want to buy or not.

TL;DR: just buy, lol

Is the EBR pack free even if you haven't bought the bikes expansion? I thought the only free bike was the KTM Super Duke that came out last month and you unlock by maxing out the KTM manufacturer accolade.

Definitely worth it imo - takes some getting used to after the cars but brilliant when it clicks.

https://youtu.be/uN6ol76ZBOc

Hi Rushy,

Any chance you can ask your Graphics team about this blotchy filter that seems to be underneath or on top of everything the game is doing. Perhaps it's possible to have an option to turn it off, or an explanation of what it is exactly ?

These are screenshots captured by DC photo mode and exported by PS4 share button. The blotches are also there during gameplay not just in photo mode. I have only just got the game but I'm surprised that this isn't a known issue or been mentioned by someone before as it impacts on the visuals in gameplay and your ability to take photos also.

The blotches appear to be static and don't switch or move, they just stay in the same position as you can see in the shots below.

I would really appreciate any answers or info you can find out. Thanks for your time.
Yeah I see this now thanks to your images.

Though, I can only really notice it in Photo Mode when panning the camera against solid bodies of colour. When Photo Mode begins doing it's business to produce an image it quickly disappears.

My TV is a little bit cloudy thanks to it's age now so I don't really see it racing about.

Same for me, only i notice my TV's screen uniformity issues in other games and movies too.

You're not on about the sky colour banding are you? Particularly prevalent during night racing?

A bit like this...
IALbnSm.jpg

Hoho yeah it is weird, indeed. Have you tinkering with Automatic RGB settings, too?

@rushy please come.

Messing with settings on the side of his TV is not going to change the screenshots he output from the game. He could be playing on max contrast and it would not affect the screenshots, it doesn't work that way.

If the 'blotchy' filter is appearing on the screenshots taken from the PS4, then they are there, rendered by the games graphical engine. No messing with his television is going to get rid of that.

Gobbly

Banned
I get the dirty screen effect too, on a VT65 Plasma so it's not LCD errors. Doesn't happen in any other games or films so it's definitely Driveclub.

It's never been on since I got my PS4 at launch. I have also tried all combinations of Full/Limited & Black level Normal/Low. Also put my TV in 4:4:4 PC mode as well as Game mode - Its still there on EVERY variation mentioned.

I tested all this thoroughly before I even dared to post in this thread. As a newcomer to the game only in the last week, I didn't want to rock up to this thread for the first time with bad news and asking why no one has called out this issue over the last 15 months - but at the same time since we have the producer posting in here I thought it would be interesting to ask what it is and if it can be removed possibly. The curiosity is there for me as I am sure it might be for others now.

Yeah I see this now thanks to your images.

Though, I can only really notice it in Photo Mode when panning the camera against solid bodies of colour. When Photo Mode begins doing it's business to produce an image it quickly disappears.

My TV is a little bit cloudy thanks to it's age now so I don't really see it racing about.

I wish I only noticed it in photo mode - I see it coming through the light grey roads on Japan and on the rocks in Chile as I am driving as well as on the pre race flyover scenery pans.

Messing with settings on the side of his TV is not going to change the screenshots he output from the game. He could be playing on max contrast and it would not affect the screenshots, it doesn't work that way.

If the 'blotchy' filter is appearing on the screenshots taken from the PS4, then they are there, rendered by the games graphical engine. No messing with his television is going to get rid of that.

Thank you, finally someone gets it ! ;-)

When I tested it and saw it on the PS Vita screen in remote play, this was the first thing that pointed to it not being my TV long before I exported any PS4 screen captures.

Let's hope we can get an answer or some closure on this issue from Rushy/Evolution soon.

Thanks guys.

Just a quick reminder that the current drift challenge finishes in a few hours so get on there and have anpther crack at it!

After it expires I'll post next week's Sprint challenge to everyone whose taken part so far, if your not already taking part but want to compete then let me know.

I'll also post the leaderboard after the first two events - it's based on fame scores from the challenges so nailing 1st place makes a big difference.

I fully understand what do you mean and I am aware from graphics engine side, I am just curious about the problem until I test by myself just now.

wsfJg7k.jpg

wdJ5bvn.jpg

lsrPkl9.jpg

TKftjwM.jpg

1pH4ps8.jpg

Less visible on the blue color.
So yeah, now I can confirm.

This is minor but at least Rushy aware about this issue and solve this later.

Karu

Just a quick reminder that the current drift challenge finishes in a few hours so get on there and have anpther crack at it!

After it expires I'll post next week's Sprint challenge to everyone whose taken part so far, if your not already taking part but want to compete then let me know.

I'll also post the leaderboard after the first two events - it's based on fame scores from the challenges so nailing 1st place makes a big difference.
Would like to get in the rotation, thanks!

PSN: karu_urak

And i havn't broken my DS4..yet!

Short video i've done to show the throttle,gear change and steering inputs on my DS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3g6m-gVJs

Wow as someone with only a few hours playtime in DC so far, you make it all look so easy and very clean and effortless.

I've only ever used Automatic gears in racing games. It looks like a bit of a learning curve to concentrate on the car, the track and corners and gently braking and smooth accelerating AS WELL AS remembering to change up and down gears on top of that.

Hypothetically speaking - how much slower than your best time using manual gears would your best automatic gears time be ? Half a second ... a couple of seconds ?

xrnzaaas

Wow as someone with only a few hours playtime in DC so far, you make it all look so easy and very clean and effortless.

I've only ever used Automatic gears in racing games. It looks like a bit of a learning curve to concentrate on the car, the track and corners and gently braking and smooth accelerating AS WELL AS remembering to change up and down gears on top of that.

Hypothetically speaking - how much slower than your best time using manual gears would your best automatic gears time be ? Half a second ... a couple of seconds ?

Yep, same here. Only automatic gearbox when I'm playing using a gamepad. I've tried a few times with L1 and R1, but couldn't make it work.

Well, just done a quick test @ Sinclair Pass in the SP/300R using automatic gears and the times are pretty similar tbh, my best manual time is 1:27.227, with auto gears i could match that easily.....guess it's just a personal thing with manual gears really.
There's REALLYYY fast guys using auto so it's all down to how you feel "faster" i guess. :)

Was chatting to Vix about this earlier and we agree there's a large amount of muscle memory going on, tbh i dont think about "change gear here,must remember to brake there..." it's all on auto-pilot so to speak, i guess gaming for over 40 years have taught me well,lol.

Makikou

Well, just done a quick test @ Sinclair Pass in the SP/300R using automatic gears and the times are pretty similar tbh, my best manual time is 1:27.227, with auto gears i could match that easily.....guess it's just a personal thing with manual gears really.
There's REALLYYY fast guys using auto so it's all down to how you feel "faster" i guess. :)

Was chatting to Vix about this earlier and we agree there's a large amount of muscle memory going on, tbh i dont think about "change gear here,must remember to brake there..." it's all on auto-pilot so to speak, i guess gaming for over 40 years have taught me well,lol.

I cant muster up the time to learn shift points for every car in this game. It's just easier for me to be competitive with AT. Usually after a race or 3 i can figure out if it's better to downshift from what the AT wants me to use or upshift when accelerating out of corner sooner to decrease wheelspin.

ZalXII

Me too please for the next challenge. Can't make it for the drift anymore today. PSN: ZalXII like Username here.

As the other guys have said there's little advantage in manual gears, the real key to speed in DC is track knowledge - no blue line to guide you around and tell you when to accelerate and brake means you have to discover all that for yourself...

The Sprint events are great for teaching you the tricky sections on each track which is a help for newcomers.

I absolutely SUCK at time trial races.

I feel I can do all the stars with practices except time trial so I have just to accept that they'll have have 1 or 2 stars out of 3 :(:(:(:(:(

Ainsz

I cant muster up the time to learn shift points for every car in this game. It's just easier for me to be competitive with AT. Usually after a race or 3 i can figure out if it's better to downshift from what the AT wants me to use or upshift when accelerating out of corner sooner to decrease wheelspin.

As the other guys have said there's little advantage in manual gears, the real key to speed in DC is track knowledge - no blue line to guide you around and tell you when to accelerate and brake means you have to discover all that for yourself...

The Sprint events are great for teaching you the tricky sections on each track which is a help for newcomers.

As someone who prefers manual shifting, I do think there's a slight advantage to MT though weirdly not on the straights but in the corners. Thanks to engine braking and a little added control over acceleration for exiting a corner. Changing up earlier or sometimes even later does help out. If the car is about to spin out, quickly changing down will allow you straighten back out quickly in some cars, while in the Atom particularly, it's adviseable to stay out of 2nd for the most part of a race, especially if you're still getting used to it.

As for learning to manually shift, benificial or not - it soon becomes second nature. With Driveclub's mostly forgiving handling, you don't need to strictly learn gear change points for each track, it just comes down what gear is best for what speed and sometimes to how the car is behaving. But you can be be pretty flexible with it, sometimes it proves quicker to brake in to a corner with out changing down until you're on the exit.

On a side note, I enjoyed this challenge despite it being a drift event Shannow! Learned a bit more on the drift mechanics thanks to it too. Ready for the next one, may I suggest the Hennesey Venom..? Lovely old car that.

First off here is the results table after the first two events - as you can see this is based off the fame score you earn in the challenge and coming first earns you more than double second place...

Very well done to PDogg for winning the drift event by 3 points from SigSwat551 in an epic scrap, closely followed by Sirenty whose shown he's a master of all trades.

Screenshot_2016_01_24_20_00_37.png

The new challenge has been posted and you should've received an invite, let me know if you haven't got one and I'll sort it.

https://youtu.be/bnqDk-t_nhU

So it's the KTM Super Duke on Kinloch in the dry - nothing nasty about this challenge, I even failed in getting the sun to blind you on a bend :) So the bike is available to everyone even without the bikes dlc, but you will need to unlock it by getting KTM to level 10. Future challenges will be using dlc bikes though so do yourself a favour and get hold of the greatest dlc there is!

Have fun!

Sirenty

So it's the KTM Super Duke on Kinloch in the dry - nothing nasty about this challenge, I even failed in getting the sun to blind you on a bend :) So the bike is available to everyone even without the bikes dlc, but you will need to unlock it by getting KTM to level 10. Future challenges will be using dlc bikes though so do yourself a favour and get hold of the greatest dlc there is!

Have fun!

Yes, bike challenge! Love em.

Sirenty

Can someone explain how vagabone is pulling an instant two tenths gap on the challenge? I have R2 at max, it's redlined in 6th, it says GO and he pulls away like it's a time trial and you're running against a ghost on it's second lap. Just get walked right off the line.

I've noticed this with several sprints, especially the Kyle one, but never this bad. I thought my R2 might be bad, but even with a new controller the same thing happens. Changing gears doesn't seem to make a difference. At a loss....

Edit: Exiting out to the challenge select area and restarting the challenge seems to have fixed it. Weird.

Can someone explain how vagabone is pulling an instant two tenths gap on the challenge? I have R2 at max, it's redlined in 6th, it says GO and he pulls away like it's a time trial and you're running against a ghost on it's second lap. Just get walked right off the line.

Edit: Exiting out to the challenge select area and restarting the challenge seems to have fixed it. Weird.

I'm experiencing the same thing now against your ghost. Will exit and see if that fixes it.

Also does anyone have any tips for the bikes? I bought the bikes expansion on the last day of the January sale but I haven't really played it much yet. I tried the free KTM a while back but found the handling to be off, and I'm having a lot of difficulty with this challenge right now. Maybe I just need practice, but they feel so awkward. There seems to be a lot less room for error when cornering on a bike and often I'm ending up on the grass. I also find them to be really twitchy, as in when I'm coming out of a corner I find it hard to stand the bike up gently. I see my back wheel kick out a bit and it appears to be costing me a lot of time.

Don't mind me, at the bottom of the leaderboard! :)

I'm experiencing the same thing now against your ghost. Will exit and see if that fixes it.

Also does anyone have any tips for the bikes? I bought the bikes expansion on the last day of the January sale but I haven't really played it much yet. I tried the free KTM a while back but found the handling to be off, and I'm having a lot of difficulty with this challenge right now. Maybe I just need practice, but they feel so awkward. There seems to be a lot less room for error when cornering on a bike and often I'm ending up on the grass. I also find them to be really twitchy, as in when I'm coming out of a corner I find it hard to stand the bike up gently. I see my back wheel kick out a bit and it appears to be costing me a lot of time.

Don't mind me, at the bottom of the leaderboard! :)

OK on that particular challenge you need to brake between the 2nd and 3rd red flag, turn in it clip the apex and don't get back onto the power until you've started to bring the bike back upright - it's accelerating whilst the bike is still fully banked over that causes the rear end to kick out. Getting on the power too soon also pushes you wide and onto the grass.

After that it's a flat out sequence of corners right down to the bridge - bikes turn in slower at high speed than cars so it's all about getting your line and turn in point right to sweep through the corners without having to lift off. The bikes don't mind you braking whilst accelerating too and it can be useful to tap the brake to tighten your turn but you shouldn't need to do that here if you get your lines right.

The hard braking and turn in to the right on the bridge will make or break your time, get it right and your head should just skim past the barrier on the apex... Then clip the end off the left hander for the Sprint to the line, look out for running wide and into the barrier here. Hope this is of some use.

https://youtu.be/vqp1lVEKeQk

xrnzaaas

Nice challenge. :) I have no problems with the 1st and 2nd sector, but that 90 degree turn after the bridge is giving me a headache. It doesn't help that the previous section is driven flatout so there's not a lot of time to start braking and to position the bike properly (plus you can't cut it because of the barrier). I wasted a lot of potentially good times in that sector. :/

Denur

OK on that particular challenge you need to brake between the 2nd and 3rd red flag, turn in it clip the apex and don't get back onto the power until you've started to bring the bike back upright - it's accelerating whilst the bike is still fully banked over that causes the rear end to kick out. Getting on the power too soon also pushes you wide and onto the grass.

After that it's a flat out sequence of corners right down to the bridge - bikes turn in slower at high speed than cars so it's all about getting your line and turn in point right to sweep through the corners without having to lift off. The bikes don't mind you braking whilst accelerating too and it can be useful to tap the brake to tighten your turn but you shouldn't need to do that here if you get your lines right.

The hard braking and turn in to the right on the bridge will make or break your time, get it right and your head should just skim past the barrier on the apex... Then clip the end off the left hander for the Sprint to the line, look out for running wide and into the barrier here. Hope this is of some use.

https://youtu.be/vqp1lVEKeQk
You make it look so easy in that video. At the moment I lack the experience and thus confidence on bikes to go flat-out in the 2nd sector.

Auctopus

You just missed out on 2x fame for all the DC Bikes content. :) But even with standard progression you can earn levels pretty fast, especially in the skill events.

It's down to mileage, sadly. Not Bike XP. I was just running laps of the challenge track with the other KTM.

xrnzaaas

Right. I forgot about that. I recently had to do that to unlock the Mercedes S65 Coupe so I checked if any of my tour races needed repeating and then I started doing long races on my favorite tracks. :)

I think i'll just add all those members on the spreadsheet to my psn :D

Nice challenge...haven't played alot of bikes but I did like it!

PDogg

Neo Member
Thanks Shannow and well done everyone who took part in the drift challenge, some great scores. SigSwat and I had a tough battle this week with us both leading a fair bit, well done buddy, 3 points though, phew!

I don't have this bike unlocked and in all honesty I really don't enjoy the bikes at all so I will see how much I need to play to unlock it, it's not likely if it requires a great deal of work.

Top Bottom