• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Picked up DCVR at launch and pretty new to the game in general. How do clubs work and is there gaf club to join?
Welcome to the fold :) There is no gaf club as they're limited to 6 drivers each - there are plenty of gaffers in clubs however so here is a good place to find one.

The club's are a good place to find other guys to drive with online and you can set club challenges instead of solo ones. You also unlock some extra cars by joining a club.

Hope you enjoy the game, there's a massive amount in there besides the main tour with time trial, drift and sprint challenges to do, I also run some competitions on here just for gaffers.

Track knowledge as well as driving ability is key to DC and the best way to get to the top of the leader boards is to put the time in - DCVR is a bit more forgiving as there are a lot of new guys on there.

Tommi84

Picked up DCVR at launch and pretty new to the game in general.
Few posts before, there's also a list of other DCVR users. As the game is best enjoyed when you can compare yourself with others, I'd say it's a good idea to add them to your friends on PS4. Just don't add DHC-Shannow, as his times will 'wreck' you :p. He must be using some boosters ;)

Baleoce

Time trials are done right in this game. Love it. 3 ghosts. Number 1, the person in front of you, and your best time. Just really makes you want to do 1 more lap.

Are TTs based on vehicle class, or specific vehicle?
On the tour you often get a choice of vehicle but on a challenge you have to use the car that set the time.

I've got my challenges set ready for this week, gonna try doing both a time trial and a drift this first week.

If anyone fancies a crack at it and isn't one of the usual suspects then let me know and I'll include you on the invite list.

Just don't add DHC-Shannow, as his times will 'wreck' you :p. He must be using some boosters ;)

Lol cheers ;-)

Auctopus

Is there a GAF Club btw?

There are multiple ones as you can only fit 6 players on a team. Unfortunately, due to the game being less active now, you might have a hard time finding an invite to one.

Someone on here will let you know if they have a space though.

Is there a GAF Club btw?

You're welcome to join my club if you don't find a more active one. I haven't played in months, and I'm not sure how many in my club still do. But if you join us, I'll pause Rocket League long enough to get back into the game. PSN is Optimus_Prime. Club name is Autobot Armada.

On the tour you often get a choice of vehicle but on a challenge you have to use the car that set the time.

I've got my challenges set ready for this week, gonna try doing both a time trial and a drift this first week.

If anyone fancies a crack at it and isn't one of the usual suspects then let me know and I'll include you on the invite list.

Lol cheers ;-)

I know a nice short lap track you could pick in VR ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW1qV07zflY

joanot

Canada new tracks has some flags reversed, is fucking my driving lol, hope they fix it, If not Ill have to disable them.

Didnt play much and maybe is my mind playing tricks but first thing I noticed was the aliasing on cables & road structures, dont remember this being that bad on the old tracks, otherwise Port of Vancouver 03 at night + raining looks so good...

krioto

This looks to be the last update ever - from the update notes "Thanks for your support . Thanks for your commitment. Farewell and enjoy the game"

I know why you want Ashii you git! ;-)

I have a bit of a quandry now, I've done the challenges on both games 1 of the old tracks, but would you guys prefer to do the new tracks instead? If so I'll have to redo the challenges so they'll probably go out tomorrow instead of tonight. So what is your preference?

I'm happy with either, not like this is going to be the only challenge you put up, plus it would give the vanilla guys more time to practice the newer tracks if you hold them back a bit.

This looks to be the last update ever - from the update notes "Thanks for your support . Thanks for your commitment. Farewell and enjoy the game"

Yeah I don't know how to read this as we know that it's getting a Pro upgrade in VR, is it just the Evo guys saying farewell with internal Sony to pick up the baton and run with it? (I certainly hope that's the case as to just leave DC to die would be a major crime, although they seem to have left WipEout behind too)

Sirenty

I know why you want Ashii you git! ;-)

I have a bit of a quandry now, I've done the challenges on both games 1 of the old tracks, but would you guys prefer to do the new tracks instead? If so I'll have to redo the challenges so they'll probably go out tomorrow instead of tonight. So what is your preference?

New tracks would be great as everyone is starting from square 1.

I have to thank DC for real life motivation. I'd talked for a while about getting my car to the track like I used to with my bike, but kept making excuses. After playing DC several times a week for a year, I finally decided to get off my ass. I've done a dozen autocrosses and 6 track days this year, and I'm getting ready to do 2 more at VIR this week.

I had a blast and actually won my class in the main autocross group I did. I like to think playing DC had a big part in that.

Canada new tracks has some flags reversed, is fucking my driving lol, hope they fix it, If not Ill have to disable them.

Haven't noticed that, where are they?

Didnt play much and maybe is my mind playing tricks but first thing I noticed was the aliasing on cables & road structures, dont remember this being that bad on the old tracks, otherwise Port of Vancouver 03 at night + raining looks so good...

It's the same as always imo, urban tracks with their overabundance of straight lines are just better at exposing the imperfect antialiasing than the more organic natural landscapes. But if you looked closely, you could always notice it on fences and the like. It was also quite noticeable on Old Town. It really is a crime that standard DC likely won't get a PS4 Pro graphical update. An improved AA solution and bumped up AF would make it perfect.

With that said, i love the new tracks, especially Ashii, Bryggen, and Gujo. Even Port of Vancouver, which i thought looked a bit boring after having seen the VR footage, looks pretty interesting with the added track detail in standard DC, and the lit up Vancouver skyline provides a beautiful backdrop at night.

It's a shame how the game got cut down in its prime, but i've already made my peace with it when they shuttered Evo, and despite the belated parting gift in the form of these tracks, that hasn't really changed, so i can't say that i'm terribly surprised. If they decide to release the VR Tour for standard DC, i'll gladly buy it, but otherwise i'm not getting my hopes up for any continued support.

Just so i don't end my post on such a gloomy note, for those of you who want to get into a festive mood, try Norway's Bryggen 02 with a hot hatch at night, with light precipitation (or heavy precipitation, if you don't care to see where you are going). :)

DLff9oX.gif

OK those of you running og DC should have two challenges from me, a drift and a time trial with the ktm in old town... however the DCVR servers appear to have shit the bed and I can't send out those challenges - I'll keep trying but it may be tomorrow that those go out...

If you haven't received the challenges and want to take part then let me know.

krioto

Yep - Port of Vancouver track (at least 01 and 01 reverse), some of the flags are reversed (i.e. leaning left when the corner is a right). Threw me off the first few times

farmerboy

New tracks would be great as everyone is starting from square 1.

I have to thank DC for real life motivation. I'd talked for a while about getting my car to the track like I used to with my bike, but kept making excuses. After playing DC several times a week for a year, I finally decided to get off my ass. I've done a dozen autocrosses and 6 track days this year, and I'm getting ready to do 2 more at VIR this week.

I had a blast and actually won my class in the main autocross group I did. I like to think playing DC had a big part in that.

What car/class do you race and do you do all autocross events? Basically I'm intetested to hear more. :) Sounds fun.

Curufinwe

Maybe this is common knowledge, but you can download a free bike and use it on any track. It's a good way to judge if you like the handling model enough to buy the Bikes expansion.

cooldawn

This game won't be receiving any Pro benefits.
I know. I'm just waiting to install this on my new PS4 Pro and play from then.

OK those of you running og DC should have two challenges from me, a drift and a time trial with the ktm in old town... however the DCVR servers appear to have shit the bed and I can't send out those challenges - I'll keep trying but it may be tomorrow that those go out...

If you haven't received the challenges and want to take part then let me know.
Are the Time-Trials 'Hardcore' friendly? I guess not but just in case.

Falchion

I downloaded the update last night and can't wait to dive into the new tracks tonight. I just finished Horizon 3 and have been dying for an excuse to jump back into this game and now I have it!

Hackbert

reinstalled. 500gb is always full ^^. really glad the pro will double that install space. but back to topic. great tracks. Indias new tracks are great fun. every corner you feel the ass of the BAC move and slide. i love tracks with a lot of diverent height curves

I know. I'm just waiting to install this on my new PS4 Pro and play from then.

Are the Time-Trials 'Hardcore' friendly? I guess not but just in case.

I believe you can engage hardcore mode any time you like but you will struggle to compete against non hardcore mode drivers. There was quite a bit of analysis on release and the general feeling was it was tougher than most sims.

reinstalled. 500gb is always full ^^. really glad the pro will double that install space. but back to topic. great tracks. Indias new tracks are great fun. every corner you feel the ass of the BAC move and slide. i love tracks with a lot of diverent height curves

I like Ashii for time trials (well apart from Trolley kicking my arse) but I've yet to have a good online race on there - the bloody tight hairpins make you a prime T-bone target and the chicane like streets tend to sucker people into gaps that quickly disappear - Gujo is brilliant online however :)

cooldawn

I believe you can engage hardcore mode any time you like but you will struggle to compete against non hardcore mode drivers. There was quite a bit of analysis on release and the general feeling was it was tougher than most sims.
Yeah...I always play in Hardcore mode. It's amazing.

I raced with others using Hardcore but of course, they did not. Never, ever won but a Hardcore Time Trial would be swell.

Had a quick blast on the new tracks. Quick being the operative word.

They're all sub-60 second tracks using Super-class cars. This is probably my biggest area of disappointment with DC; circuits are too short.

I can't see anything to sway me away from the point-to-point tracks in all honesty.

Really impressed by most of the new courses, with personal highlights being India and Canada, and Japan growing on me. Norway has some bad jaggies/shimmer with all the boat rigging and power lines. But there's a lot less recycling of assets than I would have expected, and equally a lot more all new vistas and the like. A very nice surprise to a fucking amazing game and one of the shining stars of the PS4.

Would have been nice to see some more long point to point tracks, but I'm definitely happy with more road circuits (as I tend to just lose myself in long time trials lapping a course through full day/night cycles), and I certainly can't argue with the price :)

Shaneus

Some of these tracks seem to look/run a lot smoother, too. Could they have improved motion blur or AA (or AF) in this release as well? I haven't played other tracks, but the new ones feel a lot more fluid and just cleaner in movement.

I forget which one my favourite one is too, after a quick blast... India? Went screaming around it in the 300/R and I think my brain exploded with the banked, weaving straights.

ty_hot

do you guys have steering wheel? how does it work on DC? I am thinking about getting a steering wheel as I will get Project Cars later this week (6 dollars in Brazilian PSN) and next year maybe GT as well, and was wondering how DC works with it. I never had one so I have no idea... how much should I invest? I dont need a G29 ($$$$) but I dont want to buy something that is not good just to save a few dozen $.

Didnt try the new tracks yet, will do on the next weekend probably.

Falchion

Love the new tracks, the urban one in India where you race around the fortress or whatever in the center is awesome!

I'm personnally satisfied with all the new tracks .
They're fast and technical and they're a blast to play with friends

It's a shame we don't have more point to point tracks but what we've got was still of very high quality.

Driveclub Vr will be bought when i'll get a PSVr set

I like Ashii for time trials (well apart from Trolley kicking my arse) but I've yet to have a good online race on there - the bloody tight hairpins make you a prime T-bone target and the chicane like streets tend to sucker people into gaps that quickly disappear - Gujo is brilliant online however :)

Yeah I've yet to have a good race on their either, it's just good to go solo on.

do you guys have steering wheel? how does it work on DC? I am thinking about getting a steering wheel as I will get Project Cars later this week (6 dollars in Brazilian PSN) and next year maybe GT as well, and was wondering how DC works with it. I never had one so I have no idea... how much should I invest? I dont need a G29 ($$$$) but I dont want to buy something that is not good just to save a few dozen $.

Project Cars NEEDS a wheel, DRIVECLUB feels worse with a wheel imho, although I have heard that putting the game in hardcore mode makes wheel play better. I have the G29 and it's often on sale here in the UK, maybe check it out during Black Friday sales?

I'm personnally satisfied with all the new tracks .
They're fast and technical and they're a blast to play with friends

It's a shame we don't have more point to point tracks but what we've got was still of very high quality.

Driveclub Vr will be bought when i'll get a PSVr set

It's brilliant and you won't regret it!

I got the DCVR challenges issued last night so please have a crack at those if you're able. Hopefully next week I'll be able to get the start /finish times more in sync between the two versions...

I've realised I can't use the fame scoring system we've used in previous events as we're on different leaderboards... So I think we're going to have to go for an F1 style points system based on final position when I merge the two leaderboards unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Another question is if people are entering in both DC & DCVR do they want to just keep the best result regardless of the version it was posted in or maintain 2 separate entries?

At the mo PDogg is leading the drift event (of course) and Ainsz and Sirenty are having a very close battle in the time trial going by the DC scores, I won't be able to see how the DCVR standings are looking until tonight however.

valkyre

Cant say I like the new tracks...

They are very short for one and the presentation is sub par compared to the rest of the game.

Looks like they rushed these out. They actually look like they were created with VR version in mind and then tried to improve upon this for the proper version of the game.

Surely I cant be the only one noticing a pretty big difference in the quality of the visuals.

Top Bottom