• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS online? (Miyamoto)

neptunes

They sure have given it another chance.

Remember when iwata said nintendo fans don't want online?

Glad they've given it another look, hopefully revolution can be considered also.

I'd expect at this point, with Miyamoto bringing it up in what was surely a very carefully scripted press conference (because they knew that about 900 journos and industry folk were there), that they are serious about doing network gaming of some kind on the DS.

jedimike

BeatADeadHorse.gif

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I know Nintendo have confused us all on the online issue, but come on, Miyamoto saying it is a big thing.

Maybe they find a cheap way. Reggie mentioned something about playing over long distances too in his speech.

Ramirez

How would online work for something like this?You hook it up at your house and play from there or what?Im not too keen on the subject of handheld online :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ramirez said:
How would online work for something like this?You hook it up at your house and play from there or what?Im not too keen on the subject of handheld online :p

The NDS has wi-fi support, you can connect wirelessly

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
You'd either have to be in a hotspot (places like Starbucks have them, sometimes you'll just be in one anyway) or you could set up a wireless connection at home and use it there.

Or walk around your neighbourhood looking for a signal and steal someone's bandwidth, that should work too.

MarkMacD

Chrono said:
Wow. I didn't know about that.

This and the miyamoto comment, I'm 90% sure Nintendo WILL take the DS online. XD

I don't understand the surprise or the doubt--they've said since E3 it would go online?

Chrono

Banned
MarkMacD said:
I don't understand the surprise or the doubt--they've said since E3 it would go online?

Reggie said that we'll be able to play with people in different time zones but Nintendo never really talked about going online.... just wireless multiplayer. I had doubts on whether DS will go online one day. Now They're almost gone though...

I can't wait for Advance Wars Online!

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
neptunes said:
They sure have given it another chance.

Remember when iwata said nintendo fans don't want online?

Glad they've given it another look, hopefully revolution can be considered also.

Irrc, he said something along the lines that nintendo fans dont want to pay to play online.

jedimike

First off, you have to look at Nintendo's past approach to online gaming

- not profitable
- niche market
- too difficult for consumers
- too difficult for developers

There's no recent evidence to indicate Nintendo feels any different about the situation. They still have yet to explore the online game market.

Everything mentioned in the gamespot article is done on a peer-to-peer network. That is, within the limits of the wireless range. Why don't they mention downloading demos or pokemon characters off the internet?

One - because the Nintendo protocol is not routable. Routers won't know what to do with it. This is why Warpipe is already getting involved. Hot spots will just be ad-hoc. They will accept any protocol and just rebroadcast it.

Every bit of information I have seen about DS simply refers to peer-to-peer gaming. Despite Iwata's statement, all the DS really does is eliminate the link cable.

MarkMacD

Chrono said:
Reggie said that we'll be able to play with people in different time zones but Nintendo never really talked about going online.... just wireless multiplayer. I had doubts on whether DS will go online one day. Now They're almost gone though...

I can't wait for Advance Wars Online!

In a few different interviews I did at E3 they talked about it....about how Animal Crossing could be online now, etc. They separated out the wireless multiplay and the wi-fi. We pointed it out in EGM. I thought it was all over everywhere....

jedimike said:
First off, you have to look at Nintendo's past approach to online gaming

- not profitable
- niche market
- too difficult for consumers
- too difficult for developers

There's no recent evidence to indicate Nintendo feels any different about the situation. They still have yet to explore the online game market.

Everything mentioned in the gamespot article is done on a peer-to-peer network. That is, within the limits of the wireless range. Why don't they mention downloading demos or pokemon characters off the internet?

One - because the Nintendo protocol is not routable. Routers won't know what to do with it. This is why Warpipe is already getting involved. Hot spots will just be ad-hoc. They will accept any protocol and just rebroadcast it.

Every bit of information I have seen about DS simply refers to peer-to-peer gaming. Despite Iwata's statement, all the DS really does is eliminate the link cable.

Despite your tireless effort to ruin a DS thread, the DS has WiFi Capabilties and is routable. The DS has two wireless protocols. one which is it's own protocol(for close range). WiFi is for longer range, aka Internet. Believe me or not, But I sure as hell know what I talk about.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I swear if I had the means, I'd lock Iwata in a room until this issue is clarified. The DS has the built in Nintendo/Motorola wireless adapter and WiFi; games are claiming to have multiplayer over WiFi, which theoretically means wireless, online gaming with the DS; but PR people have a notorious penchant for being dumb and could easily have just meant the shortrange link instead.

Argh. Developers, I know you're here. Please say something.

Chrono said:
Reggie said that we'll be able to play with people in different time zones but Nintendo never really talked about going online
...what the hell long-ass cable did you think you'd have to buy?

I agree with Mark. This was final at E3.

neptunes

Buggy Loop said:
Irrc, he said something along the lines that nintendo fans dont want to pay to play online.

In an interview with the Japan Economic Foundation's magazine, Japan Spotlight, the famously outspoken Iwata repeated his oft-quoted assertion that "customers do not want online games." He told the Spotlight, "At the moment, most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/07/news_6102100.html

This brings up a question, though. Why would Nintendo include two different Wireless tramitters, Nintendo/Motorola wireless adapter and WiFi, inside the DS?

Did they add the wifi just to increase the range by 70 feet?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Kobun Heat said:

But this kind of shit is what confuses the issue:

Reggie @ ZD electronic gaming summit:

The DS will also be equipped to allow long distance connections via wireless internet browser…but as we know, we're still some time away from actually having wireless head-to-head play in any contemporary game sense.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kobun Heat said:

Although I'm still wondering why they've never CLARIFIED the point.

However, I remain hopeful. The built-in mic and PictoChat would easily take care of nearly all problems with communication.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What happened to the Warp Pipe hype-juggernaut?

I assume that's going to get rolling again soon ...

MarkMacD

Goreomedy said:
But this kind of shit is what confuses the issue:

Reggie @ ZD electronic gaming summit:

That and Iwata's comments dissing online gaming are probably what have people wondering. But it -is- capable of it, as internal NCL people and someone here at the conference today confirmed. It's a question of when, not if.

Chrono

Banned
Kobun Heat said:

I thought it was PR bullshit. If they wanted to say DS will be online they should've explained their plan and not just say nice things like "you can play with people in different time zones." For all I know that could happen 5 or 6 years from now, or it would require me to buy a DS add-on from nintendo, or many other things.

jedimike

The Bookerman said:
Despite your tireless effort to ruin a DS thread, the DS has WiFi Capabilties and is routable. The DS has two wireless protocols. one which is it's own protocol(for close range). WiFi is for longer range, aka Internet. Believe me or not, But I sure as hell know what I talk about.

WiFi is not a protocol. WiFi is a method that resides in the data link layer of the OSI model. It simply provides the means to transfer data.

There is one protocol the DS uses. This is a protocol built by Nintendo specifically for the DS.

Think of it like this. All three consoles use red laser optical drives (802.11). However, Nintendo used proprietary disks( proprietary protocol).

If Iwata is talking about downloading games from other DS's to play multiplayer, it becomes apparant that Nintendo used their own protocol to eliminate piracy.

xsarien

daedsiluap
jedimike said:
If Iwata is talking about downloading games from other DS's to play multiplayer, it becomes apparant that Nintendo used their own protocol to eliminate piracy.

They're also talking about it connecting to the Internet.

Kon Tiki

Banned
jedimike said:
WiFi is not a protocol. WiFi is a method that resides in the data link layer of the OSI model. It simply provides the means to transfer data.

There is one protocol the DS uses. This is a protocol built by Nintendo specifically for the DS.

Think of it like this. All three consoles use red laser optical drives (802.11). However, Nintendo used proprietary disks( proprietary protocol).

Bookerman has a DS SDK. I am sure he know what the DS can do.

jedimike

Scalemail Ted said:
This brings up a question, though. Why would Nintendo include two different Wireless tramitters, Nintendo/Motorola wireless adapter and WiFi, inside the DS?

Did they add the wifi just to increase the range by 70 feet?

One is for bluetooth and one is for WiFi. Both are just different transmission methods. Nintendo's protocol would ride either one. Probably used both because both methods are widely adopted.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I would adore the shit out of Nintendo and Square if the new Seiken Densetsu was online.

But you have to take their hat off to them. That whole convo was totally scripted.

jedimike said:
One is for bluetooth and one is for WiFi. Both are just different transmission methods. Nintendo's protocol would ride either one. Probably used both because both methods are widely adopted.

I don't understand why they just didn't go with one or the other. I mean if you're designing the system to communicate with itself...why use to separate "widely adopted" methods when one would suffice? It seems strange to have 2 forms of transmitting info wirelessly in one device. If Nintendo's protocol has to ride either one then whats the point of including a "widely adopted" method anyway...and then having two wouldn't provide any benefits over having just one, right? What is it that I'm missing?

Top Bottom