• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS online? (Miyamoto)

jarrod

Banned
Minor nitpicks...

jedimike said:
Remeber all the help, support tools, and free royalties they were giving developers to make onlines games for the cube.
Well, Nintendo held up their end anyway. Unfortunately, only Sega, Konami and ChunSoft took them up on it.

jedimike said:
Remeber the promo posters with the pokeball and online gaming?
Those were fakes.

jedimike said:
Remember when they finally went optical with the 64DD?
64DD was a magnetic drive, not optical.

i dunno, seems like common sense to assume that these warp pipe guys are up to something. i mean, i really doubt they would cause so much hype and have it be something other than online multiplayer through DS.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Johnny Nighttrain said:
i dunno, seems like common sense to assume that these warp pipe guys are up to something. i mean, i really doubt they would cause so much hype and have it be something other than online multiplayer through DS.

True. Whatever they reveal will be interesting, but if it isn't online there is going to be some dissapointment.

maharg

idspispopd
Johnny Nighttrain said:

If all they provide is the 802.11 link layer, someone will have to write a stack for it. It's entirely possible that what they're doing is doing an implementation of that stack with some extra tools.

well, like i said. developers got nework tools about 5 weeks ago. i dunno what they consisted of, but i'd imagine it's for online multiplayer and that sort of thing.

etiolate

Banned
FF7 Online! With three classes to chose from: Cloud, Yuffie and Sephiroth! Based on actual cosplay disasters! I got dibs on Fat Dude Yuffie!

maharg

idspispopd
Johnny Nighttrain said:
well, like i said. developers got nework tools about 5 weeks ago. i dunno what they consisted of, but i'd imagine it's for online multiplayer and that sort of thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Nintendo is supplying something a little higher level for local multiplayer, but I think it's likely that a full tcp stack will be a 3rd party's responsibility. And I doubt games designed for local (ad-hoc) multiplayer will be capable of playing over the internet without some bridge. Which is, of course, another area Warp Pipe might be involved in.

Deg

Banned
I hope online is availible. It would be weird not to as i think handhelds have more to benifit from online.

Rahul

The nature of the name and logo for "demasked" and their subsequent linking to that Penny Arcade comic about anonymous gamers turning into jackasses to me implies that it will have something to do with identifying gamers. They asked "if you are lost in the woods and there are others wth you, how do you know they are there?". Because your Nintendo DS can sense them and will auto-wake? Add GPS to that and some kind of PictoChat-connected ID/IM service and you "demask" the anonymous gamer.

After all, meeting a random guy with a DS in the subway and playing a round of First Hunt only to never see him again seems pointless. Save him on your friends list and play him online when you get home via your wireless hotspot seems all the more obvious.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doesn't seem THAT pointless - you still got to play a round of multiplayer First Hunt on the SUBWAY, of all places. Seeing as the other player is unlikely to be completely out of eyesight, I'm sure you could make eye contact and pictochat afterward.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Rahul said:
. Because your Nintendo DS can sense them and will auto-wake? Add GPS to that and some kind of PictoChat-connected ID/IM service and you "demask" the anonymous gamer.

You can give the NDS a name, just like the XBOX. Maybe the name will also be the 'gamer's tag'.

aoi tsuki

Rahul said:
The nature of the name and logo for "demasked" and their subsequent linking to that Penny Arcade comic about anonymous gamers turning into jackasses to me implies that it will have something to do with identifying gamers. They asked "if you are lost in the woods and there are others wth you, how do you know they are there?". Because your Nintendo DS can sense them and will auto-wake? Add GPS to that and some kind of PictoChat-connected ID/IM service and you "demask" the anonymous gamer..
Chad denounced GPS in an interview a week or so ago.

Rahul

aoi tsuki said:
Chad denounced GPS in an interview a week or so ago.
Yes, I remember reading that. I sort of mean something in that direction of thought, not actual GPS. My bad wording.

kaching said:
Doesn't seem THAT pointless - you still got to play a round of multiplayer First Hunt on the SUBWAY, of all places. Seeing as the other player is unlikely to be completely out of eyesight, I'm sure you could make eye contact and pictochat afterward.
Sure. But being able to add him/her to your friends list would be even better, right?

Society said:
You can give the NDS a name, just like the XBOX. Maybe the name will also be the 'gamer's tag'.
That doesn't really solve the problem of anonymity though. Not that I'm entirely sure what will, but they must have some bright idea (if this is even what they're planning).

Top Bottom