• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS online? (Miyamoto)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Jedi, I think you're confused.

Unless, of course, you know more than the developers of Nanostray, who plan to use DS's web access abilities for internet ranking...

jedimike

Scalemail Ted said:
I don't understand why they just didn't go with one or the other. I mean if you're designing the system to communicate with itself...why use to separate "widely adopted" methods when one would suffice? It seems strange to have 2 forms of transmitting info wirelessly in one device.

for hot spots...

xsarien

daedsiluap
Scalemail Ted said:
I don't understand why they just didn't go with one or the other. I mean if you're designing the system to communicate with itself...why use to separate "widely adopted" methods when one would suffice? It seems strange to have 2 forms of transmitting info wirelessly in one device.

Oddly enough, my hunch is for late-term backwards compatibility with GBA games that use the wireless adapter. Of course, this begs the question of why they didn't just make that thing 802.11, but I'm not privy to these kinds of things.

Kinda wish I were, but such is life. :p

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think WiFi was added for a specific reason, we just haven't been told (or shown) the reason.

Yet.

The Bookerman said:
Despite your tireless effort to ruin a DS thread, the DS has WiFi Capabilties and is routable. The DS has two wireless protocols. one which is it's own protocol(for close range). WiFi is for longer range, aka Internet. Believe me or not, But I sure as hell know what I talk about.

Thread closed...JediMike is just trying to confuse matters. Please feel free to check the fact sheet at Nintendo.

2 Wireless methods. Just like the idiots on IGN right now arguing whether or not DS is backlit or frontlit when its ON THE DAMN FACT SHEET.

And I quote from the Fact Sheet at Nintendo:

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's guaranteed range is 30 feet, but will extend far beyond that depending on circumstances. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered. The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

jedimike

Goreomedy said:
Jedi, I think you're confused.

Unless, of course, you know more than the developers of Nanostray, who plan to use DS's web access abilities for internet ranking...

I'm not confused. Possibly misinformed, but not confused.

Anyone with an SDK should be able to clear this up by answering these simple questions.

Does DS use 802.11b or some other 802.11 method? I'm guessing some other method because of the range limits they quoted (30'). 802.11b is minimum 150' max 300'

Is there a DNS address? You can't browse the internet without it. Nintendo could hardwire a DNS address into the DS (like a cell phone), but it should be apparant in the kit.

Does Nintendo's protocol use specific router ports?

Furthermore, why is warpipe involved with DS if DS is already Internet capable?

In response to above, let's break this down

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players.

they are talking ad-hoc or peer-to-peer

Nintendo's guaranteed range is 30 feet, but will extend far beyond that depending on circumstances.

The range of 802.11b/g is 150' indoors (depending on walls, doors, etc.) and 300' outdoors (depending on trees, hills, etc.)

It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption.

802.11 includes a lot of territory. This term is very ambiguous. Nintendo's proprietary protocol would not be routable because routers wouldn't know what to do with it. They haven't been programmed to accept it and would just ignore it... unless the router was in ad-hoc mode (peer-to-peer)

Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered.

true.

The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

This is where it gets confusing. LAN stands for local area network. The Internet is a WAN or Wide are network. Infinite number of players? This is just a meaningless PR statement. LAN's have more bandwidth and will allow more players, but there is still a limited amount of bandwidth that can only allow so many players

compete on the Internet... taking all other things into consideration, this most likely means uploading scores or times. This information most likely will get uploaded at Nintendo specific hot spots. Most likely built-into kiosks that will gather information wirelessly and then use a hardware device in the kiosk to upload the information to a Nintendo server.

...because Warp Pipe Technologies (WPT) is pushing a new service unrealted to the Warp Pipe app, demasked.com which has to do with gaming community not tunneling.

Perrin Kaplan - 802.11b

Exerpt:

IGN: Where does Nintendo stand on DS and the Internet

Perrin Kaplan: 802.11b wireless will take you to the Internet [on DS] and you'll be able to connect that way. Nintendo is not opposed to online. I think people have this perception that Nintendo does not support online. We support businesses that are profitable. We don't agree with charging a monthly fee to be online. This is wireless and will work without you having to pay a monthly fee.

802.11b, jedimike.

It's routable, it's able to go online. The question has always been if Nintendo would let it do so.

Now, Miyamoto mentioned a) online (specifically the internet) and b) did it at a press conference. Heavy hints there.

That still doesn't mean it's confirmed... but it's looking more and more that way.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Society said:
Before Crisis - Final Fantasy VII is listed in the NDS Gamers Summit section at GS...

It's in the related games bit. And it's related as it's mentioned in a DS article. It's no confirmation though.

The proprietary Nintendo local method "which provides low battery consumption"

WiFi (11b) saps the battery more, therefore a need for two systems. I'm fairly certain that the second method is the along the same lines as the Motorola based wireless adapter proveded with Pokemon Fire Red.

Insertia

PSP will be online, Nintendo doesn't want Sony to have what could be a breach advantage in their main money maker, Nintendo will go online.

Prine

Banned
Society said:
What HAS been announced is far more revolutionary than ANY existing online plan. PC, consoles, or mobile.

Whats so revolutionary?

Edit: Thats doesnt sound revolutionary at all (downloads during movies wtf)

jedimike

Dragona Akehi said:
802.11b, jedimike.

It's routable, it's able to go online. The question has always been if Nintendo would let it do so.

Now, Miyamoto mentioned a) online (specifically the internet) and b) did it at a press conference. Heavy hints there.

That still doesn't mean it's confirmed... but it's looking more and more that way.

Once again, 802.11b doesn't mean anything, other than the fact that other 802.11b routers will know it's there and information can be shared between the two. The protocol will determine if it can go online. The Nintendo specific protocol is the key. Routers are programmed to accept specific protocols (IP, UDP, etc.). A router would not route a Nintendo protocol unless it got a firmware update first.

xsarien

daedsiluap
jedimike said:
Once again, 802.11b doesn't mean anything, other than the fact that other 802.11b routers will know it's there and information can be shared between the two. The protocol will determine if it can go online. The Nintendo specific protocol is the key. Routers are programmed to accept specific protocols (IP, UDP, etc.). A router would not route a Nintendo protocol unless it got a firmware update first.

Exactly how many quotes from Nintendo higher-ups do you need before "The DS can technically go online out of the box" sticks?

jedimike said:

You're right. Nintendo is wrong. Somehow they will get online w/o Ip address or "protocols"

Hard headed...there ARE two seperate wireless systems here. Stop trying to make this something that its not.

to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

How exactly is this in ANY way confusing to you? Do you think the Internet needs to be upgraded to Nintendo specific protocols or the maybe Nintendo is adhering to IP standards?

jedimike

xsarien said:
Exactly how many quotes from Nintendo higher-ups do you need before "The DS can technically go online out of the box" sticks?

Until Nintendo stops giving consumers false hopes. I've heard the Nintendo spin so many times before, that it's now essentially meaningless. Remeber all the help, support tools, and free royalties they were giving developers to make onlines games for the cube. Remeber the promo posters with the pokeball and online gaming? Remember when they were revolutionizing gaming with GBA/GC connectivity? Remember when Dolphin was going to be available to consumers at the same time as PS2? Remember when they finally went optical with the 64DD?

The higher-ups have contradicted themselves from the word go. Reggie says one thing, Kapplin another, Harrison, Miyamoto, Iwata... they're all trying to tell consumers what they want to hear without disclosing "top secret" information. They end up getting things all confused and the gamers gets less than they expected.

... yah, I'm a bitter Nintendo cynic. Nintendo's ultra-conservative business decisions coupled with their selfishness has killed any hopes I have about Nintendo going online.

So far, every thing they have said or written about online gaming with the DS has been clouded with misinformation and half-truths.

Memles

jedimike said:
So far, every thing they have said or written about online gaming with the DS has been clouded with misinformation and half-truths.

I'd have given you vaguities if you had used it, but misinformation? Half-Truths? Bullshit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Actually, wasn't that Pokeball online poster debunked as a fake pretty much the same day it as "unveiled"?

puck1337

Bookerman. What everyone really wants to know is this - does the DS SDK expose some kind of IP stack or other routable network protocol, or is a packet capture/tunnel still necessary at this point? Nevermind, it must since they've announced VOIP (unless it isn't really VOIP, but over some other network protocol which is doubtful), and since people are talking about Internet rankings. Seems to me like Internet play is inevitable.

And yes, 802.11 is a protocol.

jedimike

Memles said:
I'd have given you vaguities if you had used it, but misinformation? Half-Truths? Bullshit.

haha... I've already mentioned some in this thread

from PR

Half-Truth
infinite number of players

Misinformation

from Reggie: "we're still some time away from actually having wireless head-to-head play in any contemporary game sense."

from Nintendo website:"DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players."

Memles

jedimike said:
Misinformation

from Reggie: "we're still some time away from actually having wireless head-to-head play in any contemporary game sense."

from Nintendo website:"DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players."

Are you claiming that the two statement contradict one another?

One in regards to online, one in regards to wireless?

You're leaving out 90% of the articles and expecting that to prove your point. And your half truth doesn't even have context!

neptunes

phone8.jpg

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mejilan said:
Actually, wasn't that Pokeball online poster debunked as a fake pretty much the same day it as "unveiled"?

Yes, but let's not pesky things like "facts" get in the way.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jedimike said:
The protocol can be provided in software. As long as Nintendo doesn't specifically lock out anything but their own protocol being transmitted by the hardware. If that's what you're suggesting, Jedi, then the question is, to what end? I mean it's one thing for Nintendo to say that they don't think online gaming is lucrative or of interest to their customers right now, it's another thing for them to implement Wifi and deliberately handicap it. What would be the benefit derived from preventing other developers from creating online games for the DS if they wanted to?

jedimike

puck1337 said:
Bookerman. What everyone really wants to know is this - does the DS SDK expose some kind of IP stack or other routable network protocol, or is a packet capture/tunnel still necessary at this point?

On the Data Link layer... it's there to get information from one place to other places. Not specific places. The key is still Nintendo's protocol which would serve the same purpose as TCP/IP.

Nintendo's protocol would reside at the Network layer and/or Transport layer which would determine the route from the source to the destination DS, manage traffic problems, and do error control.

I know DS is inherintly capable of going online... it just seems as if Nintendo has disabled or limited that possibility by using their own protocol.

edit:

What would be the benefit derived from preventing other developers from creating online games for the DS if they wanted to?

The only thing I can think of is the same 2 things that always motivates Nintendo to do stupid shit. Piracy and money.

If Iwata really wants users to be able to play multiplayer with one game. Then users have to wirelessly download games from one DS to another. If they were using a standard protocol pirates could use a packet sniffer to hijack the game. It would be the easiest method to steal games ever created.

jedimike still has yet to discredit the quotes I posted that make this whole issue moot.

In fact, he keeps letting some sort of odd personal issue get himself so qorked up that he ignores facts staring him in the face.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jedimike said:
The only thing I can think of is the same 2 things that always motivates Nintendo to do stupid shit. Piracy and money.

If Iwata really wants users to be able to play multiplayer with one game. Then users have to wirelessly download games from one DS to another. If they were using a standard protocol pirates could use a packet sniffer to hijack the game. It would be the easiest method to steal games ever created.
The data is still being transmitted wirelessly and so can therefore be "sniffed" in some way, even if it does mean you have to take a non-standard approach. In any case, the protocol used to allow for games to be shared wirelessly in a local area network game doesn't have to restrict the DS from going online. I'm sure they could restrict the ability to transmit an entire game wirelessly if it was using anything other than the Nintendo protocol. I don't buy it.

well, as far as piracy goes, where are the games stored when transmitted from the game wiht the cart? in RAM of course! turn the DS off, the game's gone...
if the wireless games transmission is anything like the GBA's multiplayer, and games are stored in RAM, that could be an awesome development for aspiring coders... wireless transmission of demos and emulators from your PC to your DS!

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
jedimike said:

Yea, generally speaking, those are two despicable inducements for motivating a video game company.

maharg

idspispopd
As you point out, jedi, in order for the DS to get on the internet it *must* provide TCP/IP. In order for it to be possible for users to contact a remote server for even scoreboards, the DS *must* be able to get on the internet.

I don't see how you can, at this point, dispute that, in some way, the DS *must* expose a tcp/ip stack to the games on some level. For any of the things they've talked about doing, it must.

What they may do is encapsulate their 'proprietary protocol' as a layer on top of either TCP or UDP, and then only allow the applications to work on that level. They lose nothing by doing this, in terms of either piracy or money, and gain the ability to communicate with the internet at large. I doubt this very much, though, because I doubt they will want to cripple the hardware to the point they would have to by forcing software to go through firmware to communicate with the network devices. As with pretty much every video game machine ever, developers will probably have significant leeway in interacting directly with the hardware.

Also, ad-hoc in terms of wifi means no router. It is literally peer-to-peer, with no preference given to any one node, and nodes do not rebroadcast in ad-hoc mode afaik. Just thought I would point that out :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
as for range, thats probably Nintendo using real world figures again, rather than super inflated 'in a vacuum with no obstacles' figures that wifi manufacturers usually use.

I know that my 802.11b access point and wifi card in my laptop regularly lose contact about 40ft away, through one ceiling/floor of my house. No other obstacles.

puck1337 said:
Bookerman. What everyone really wants to know is this - does the DS SDK expose some kind of IP stack or other routable network protocol, or is a packet capture/tunnel still necessary at this point? Nevermind, it must since they've announced VOIP (unless it isn't really VOIP, but over some other network protocol which is doubtful), and since people are talking about Internet rankings. Seems to me like Internet play is inevitable.

Yes, it works like Ethernet protocol. Problems, for developpers, going online is a bit sketchy... But Nintendo promised some more details in the coming months to devs.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i'm really excited for the games for this thing - but if it turns out things have been misunderstood/exaggerated and true wireless internet play isn't a reality, my interest level is gonna drop substantially, because it just takes away another reason to purchase it.

even having read all the comments about being able to play people 'in other time zones' or 'potentially infinite numbers of players' etc etc - things can change and i'm scared it's not going to be fully online-enabled. i'm probably being very stupid - but i find it always helps to (try) to not get my hopes up :p most of the info on this thread is encouraging, though.

Sho Nuff

Banned
We need more free hotspots in Japan!!!

Assholes in this country try to pump you for all you're worth. Unless you have some $20-a-month account with NTT DoCoMo you won't be using your PDA with Wi-Fi at Starbucks in Shinjuku.

SCREW YOUUUUUUU

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
sorry - i'm a bit retarded when it comes to computer/networking stuff

by 'hotspot' - does that mean any wireless router? cos i gots me one of those :p

Deg

Banned
London has plenty but you have to pay quite alot. There are free wireless capable places like my university, although only certain buildings are assigned to different students e.g library everyone, business for business, law for law etc. and you have to be in the buildings...

Deg said:
London has plenty but you have to pay quite alot. There are free wireless capable places like my university, although only certain buildings are assigned to different students e.g library everyone, business for business, law for law etc. and you have to be in the buildings...

Cafe Nero have quite a few branches with free wifi access, I know my local one does anyway. I'm seeing more and more businesses with 'wifi here' signs as well when I'm out and about.

Top Bottom