• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

f3niks

I've gotten farther and gotten more enjoyment out of this than the COD:Black Ops campaign. Yeah some of the jokes and things you do are gross but what did people expect from a Duke Nukem game?

Neuromancer said:
ARRRRGH

I'm on the Octaking boss and can't beat him. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. So far the game hasn't been very tough but this fucking guy...
go into the little half room to the left and bunny hope to avoid some of the fire from the little ones, take them out before going after the boss, after doing this a few times the big one blows the little half room up and then sends massive blasts were ever you are, on thing to remember is the area of the blast is smaller then it looks so pick a direction to dodge and stick with it.

dream

Personally, I'm offended by the gameplay. I don't really have much of an opinion of the jokes other than feeling like they're kicking me when I'm down by using them as the reward for continuing to play this pile of shit.

ArjanN said:
Found this amusing:

530l.png
meh, that's the easy, joke answer. Enough people saw the writing on the wall. The people who were that hyped didn't even break stride, they still love it.

Quicksilver4648 said:
Gameplay: Exactly what you would probably suspect from a 12 year in development game. The levels are linear and narrow with old design choices, the guns are familiar yet different, and the objectives are simple. Is that a problem? Not for me. If you went in knowing you weren't going to get a storyline with the depth of Mass Effect or the gunplay of any modern FPS then everything is just fine.
Contradiction? Old design = open ended levels.

animlboogy said:
A lot of commentary on community responses goes something like this comic does. You see it on GAF all the time too. Certain people fail to realize that groups of thousands of people will always have a range of opinions, even if they're interested in the same hobby or whatever. It's a stupid perspective on the internet.

"Oh, GAF thinks this yesterday but now this today, hur hurrr. Stupid gamers."
I heard people who were ready to play it but didn't end up liking it. Pretending anyone said they didn't care at all how broken it was but then it was just too awful to handle is just satire from a webcomic.

BlackDove

Banned
f3niks said:
I've gotten farther and gotten more enjoyment out of this than the COD:Black Ops campaign. Yeah some of the jokes and things you do are gross but what did people expect from a Duke Nukem game?

Hmm.

I'm not so sure the Black Ops campaign is a bar of quality, on any stretch of the imagination.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, finished it up. It's.. a strange game, really. It's sort of some inbetween game, where it's stuck with one foot in the 90s FPS style, and another in the modern FPS style, stuck inbetween the two different styles, making the game design almost schizophrenic.

The level design is overall disappointingly linear, and the one level they actually did make sort of open was that goddamn underwater level where Duke drowns unless you find bubbles every 30 seconds or so. Compared to the very open-ended levels in Duke 3D, DNF is a very restrictive game in terms of level design. Also, Duke's one-liners are very hit or miss ('I'll ninja this'? You can blow it out your ass, Duke).

It's by no means a great game or a worthy successor to Duke 3D, and it hasn't been worth the insanely long wait (14 years!), but.. I had fun with it. I liked it for what it is, warts and all. I don't think it deserves all the hash reviews, as it's by no means a 3/10 game. Personally I'd give it 6.5/10-7/10, but objectively it should be around a 6/10.

Thast said, I'll always be hailing to the king, baby. If there's DLC for DNF, I'll buy it.

rogue_pigeon said:
Has anyone made any entertaining (or at least, comprehensive) play-through videos? I'm curious to see for myself how the game turned out, but I really have no interest in actually playing it (not convinced my PC can even run it either).

I did a full playthrough from the third level on. It was also my first enocunter with encoding video, so you may find the image quality somewhat lacking though (assuming you're used to 720 on youtube).

Combichristoffersen said:
I don't think it deserves all the hash reviews, as it's by no means a 3/10 game. Personally I'd give it 6.5/10-7/10, but objectively it should be around a 6/10.
It sounds like you and I felt the same way about the game. I feel that all of the critics just wanted to trash it because of its history. In my book a 3/10 is unplayable. There are game breaking bugs and it is technically impossible to actually complete the single player.

Not only was DNF very playable, but I not once experience any bugs during my single playthrough and I enjoyed myself. If I want to go in and review as a casual fan then I would rate it a 7/10. The dialog was funny and I enjoyed a number of parts. If I want to put on my critic hat then I would rate it a 6/10 due to the visuals and narrow gameplay.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't give a shit about scores, I just don't really see why people say this is broken or even NEAR unplayable. It's fun, fairly difficult, and there's nothing wrong with the game at all beyond the shitty ass loading on consoles. I haven't run into any actual glitches either.

VinZuku

I beat it earlier today and found almost the entire ride fantastic. The difficulty really ramps up during the last fourth of the game and I, consequently, I found myself biting it quite a bit. That and the load times really tested my already saint-like patience but I pulled it through and really enjoyed myself. I'm currently going back through and collecting some trophies I missed the first time.

Over the last few months I've played some fantastic FPSers: Portal 2, Prey (Cherokee difficulty), Killzone 3 (which I really didn't like at first), Half-Life 2, Resisitance 2, and the original Duke 3D. I'd have to say that Duke Forever was the most fun to play through from beginning to end. With Resisitance 2 coming in a somewhat close second. :p to all the haters.

Purexed

Banned
Gave this thing two hours of time from renting this from the Gamefly for PS3...

I feel embarrassed for anyone that has a professional affiliation with this game. It's one of the most pointless and boring games I've played in recent memory. The loading, level design, graphics, and shooting all feel half baked and undone.

Gaspode_T

Can't really talk without spoilers but...they even explain what the story of the next segment will be in the lead up to the ending of Ep 2. Dunno if it will be an Episode 3 or "Half Life 3" but you can bet it's coming

Papercuts

Wrapped it up tonight. Really, really enjoyed it overall--Not at Bulletstorm level, but still one of the best FPS campaigns I've played in the last few years. Very interested to see where gearbox take the franchise.

mclem

czk said:
4384.2.jpg

IMO Prey, a FPS from a few years ago, is a much better game.

Don't forget that it, too, had a similarly tumultuous development. I think it was first announced at around the same time as DNF was - although to be fair, it also wasn't teased every single year from then on!

KareBear

mclem said:
Don't forget that it, too, had a similarly tumultuous development. I think it was first announced at around the same time as DNF was - although to be fair, it also wasn't teased every single year from then on!

It was announed two years before Dnf.

I finished it in about 8 hours I think.

It's not a 'classic' by all means, but I must say I enjoyed it overall.
Graphics were ok, gameplay was ok, humor was good, story.. do we really need a story lol

Prey was indeed better, especially since it used some cool things like walking on walls/ceiling. Also the portals were nicely done.
Something 'inventive' like that was missing from DNF maybe.

Also: hi!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mclem said:
It was a pretty different situation, though. 3D Realms abandoned Prey not long after announcing Duke Forever and I believe the IP sat around collecting dust for years until Human Head came in and created the Prey that was released. The game was completely different from what 3D Realms had been working on as they designed it from the ground up.

This is completely different than Duke Forever in that what we received was created by the original creators during the development of the game. This is the game they were making, while Prey was an original Human Head production.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Da DreadLord said:
I finished it in about 8 hours I think.

It's not a 'classic' by all means, but I must say I enjoyed it overall.
Graphics were ok, gameplay was ok, humor was good, story.. do we really need a story lol

Prey was indeed better, especially since it used some cool things like walking on walls/ceiling. Also the portals were nicely done.
Something 'inventive' like that was missing from DNF maybe.

Also: hi!

I think the Mini-Duke parts were suppose to be DNF's gimmick, and I think they've been some of the funner, more interesting parts. Can't think of too many FPSes that have done anything too similar.

raphier said:
'06? hot damn do I feel old!
You're in the DNF topic.. of course you do :p

tedtropy said:
I think the Mini-Duke parts were suppose to be DNF's gimmick, and I think they've been some of the funner, more interesting parts. Can't think of too many FPSes that have done anything too similar.
You are right. The mini duke stuff was nice but somehow I felt that just wasnt enough? Might just be me though

ShinAmano

So I had never played a Duke Nukem game, but I saw this at redbox over the weekend and picked it up. I played through on Normal. Wow this game was just bad. Everything was just off from graphics to aiming nothing felt right. I did get a chuckle out of the posters in the strip club and every once in a while Duke made a comment that made me laugh, but overall the game was easily forgettable.

f3niks

BlackDove said:
Hmm.

I'm not so sure the Black Ops campaign is a bar of quality, on any stretch of the imagination.

True but my point is that I've felt compelled to actually play through the storyline of this FPS "failure" as opposed to one that's considered to be more successful. And if you want to say COD is more about multiplayer, I'll offer up that i've been willing to play through DNF more than I played through Bioshock2. (Again this may not be seen as a high quality game but it would be considered better than DNF by many)

TheHakku

Neuromancer said:
Beat the Octaking, I'm on the home stretch baby! Wooo!
Congratulations. Probably the worst part on Come Get Some difficulty for me. Enjoy the rest!

Going to attempt Damn, I'm Good difficulty... eventually. Grabbing all those max Ego boosts is necessary, I'm sure. At least I know now when NOT to have the RPG equipped.

Papercuts

TheHakku said:
Congratulations. Probably the worst part on Come Get Some difficulty for me. Enjoy the rest!

Going to attempt Damn, I'm Good difficulty... eventually. Grabbing all those max Ego boosts is necessary, I'm sure. At least I know now when NOT to have the RPG equipped.

If you find the hidden shrink ray before the Octaking fight, you can take him out extremely easily. Shrink + 1 pipe bomb to take out the enemies, then just slam him with the devastator.

Zeitgeister said:
So Tommy went to the spirit world and back over and over during Prey and DUKE gets the spirit award?

silent rage.
Prey probably would have won the Neuromancer Annual Spirit Award when it came out in '06.

Hey there's a good piece up on CVG by Will Porter about this game:

You can accuse Duke Nukem Forever of many things, but you can't say it isn't inventive. If it had been released seven years ago then segments like the desert driving section, with stops along the way to refuel, would have blown us away - as it was it'd be HL2: Episode 2 to wow us first.

Likewise, you can never quite predict what's coming next in Duke Nukem Forever - and sections like the shrunk Duke leaping his way through Duke Burger or the scene in which the crane dangles him in front of the enemy-packed carpark are unpredictable and engaging.
He's disappointed me, sure. He also alarmed my significant other when she caught me melee attacking an alien-impregnated lady with a wazzo pair of norks too. Thing is, despite it all, I still quite like Duke Nukem. You can criticise Duke Nukem Forever until the cows come home, but at a base level the world still needs a low-brow hero that doesn't take the world he exploderises too seriously and keeps a copy of Nuts in his back pocket. Yeah, we've got Bulletstorm now - but Duke was the original.

Duke Nukem Forever hasn't killed off the King - those alien bastards have only temporarily shot up his ride.I'm going to keep on hailing to the king, and hopefully so will Gearbox. I waited fourteen years for Duke Nukem Forever, so I'm willing to wait a few more.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308104/duke-nukem-forever-disappointed-but-the-kings-not-dead-yet/

MNC

Okay guys this just makes me want to play Prey more and more, with you posting about it, and the intro and all...

TURNS OUT IT'S NOT ON STEAM ANYMORE. WHAT.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm not 100% sure, but you might be able to buy prey here and redeem it on steam.

http://www.direct2drive.com/2373/product/Buy-Prey-Download

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else think more games will start using a similar health system. Where you have to do certain things to increase your health, like interact with things like in this ?

daviyoung

Banned
ashley678 said:
Does anyone else think more games will start using a similar health system. Where you have to do certain things to increase your health, like interact with things like in this ?

To increase your health meter? A lot of games make you work a lot harder than playing pool or pinball to get a notch on that bar.

Matthew Gallant said:
And let's check back in on Monday to see if Duke can even hold up against a remake on a struggling new platform (Zelda).
Answer: Nope. Duke is #3 in its second week of release in the UK, behind Zumba Fitness at #1 and Ocarina Remake at #2.

Top Bottom