• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

This movie isn't gonna open big, but it's gonna have terrific legs I think.
It will thanks to the casting of Harry Styles and the fact it's PG13. When the families want to pick a movie to see at the weekend it'll tick all the boxes (Batman director, One Direction star, epic war movie etc etc).

Might be Nolan's highest rated film?

I know Memento is high (deservingly) and I think Dark Knight is right behind it. Still, looks like Nolan is proving people wrong. I admit i was skeptical at first.

Is it time to start shitting on the reviews that don't support our hype yet? I found this one negative review on Reddit, posting a screen grab because it does not deserve clicks.

http://imgur.com/a/rdpk6

Essentially his big complaints are that there isn't enough humor (in a war movie) and there aren't enough women (in a movie based on a group of people that did not have women).

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Dunkirk gonna win Oscar's for Sound design/editing based on those trailers alone. Shit was crazy when I saw those in an IMAX theater.

Wow. That's even more praise than I expected. Even Ehrlich gave it an A.

Sounds like a really strong movie.
Happens every Nolan movie. Even TDKR.

I'm really hoping for a Nolan return to form, but I'm glad I'm going in Thursday night with tempered expectations. Haven't been surprised by Nolan since TDK and haven't outright loved one of his films since The Prestige.

At the least, he usually makes something entertaining and worth going to the movies for. Outside of TDKR, a Nolan joint is always worth the price of admission.

LQX

Cant wait to see it. Any spoilers on when the Americans arrive to save everything? The trailers give no hints.

BizzyBum

I have a dumb question about 70mm, my theater has screentimes for IMAX and 70mm separate. I know 70mm is the preferred way but the ticket prices are less expensive than the IMAX viewing so I don't think this is 70mm IMAX, or is 70mm IMAX only?

Timeaisis

I have a dumb question about 70mm, my theater has screentimes for IMAX and 70mm separate. I know 70mm is the preferred way but the ticket prices are less expensive than the IMAX viewing so I don't think this is 70mm IMAX, or is 70mm IMAX only?

Not a dumb question at all, it's kind of confusing.

70mm IMAX and 70mm are two different things. 70mm IMAX is bigger and has a different aspect ratio (it's more square), whereas "classic" 70mm is a really wide shot (think like Panavision films - Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur, etc.). So IMAX is going to get you more picture, and the screen is also (obviously) bigger.

I believe Dunkirk has been shot on both IMAX and "classic" 70mm film, so doing an IMAX screening would be the ideal way to go, seeing everything Nolan and co. put onto film.

Should I watch it in 70mm imax or normal Imax. It's two separate listings

"Normal" IMAX might mean digital IMAX? It's hard to say. 70mm means it's definitely using film.

Hell, where is that infographic.

EDIT: Here, folks. Maybe we should link this somewhere in the OP or something.

fIhtOEx.jpg]

Raptor

Cant wait to see it. Any spoilers on when the Americans arrive to save everything? The trailers give no hints.

They will show at the end that it was the americans idea all along to save them, and someone will say "we owe our lifes to a giant"

Dominator

My hype levels were already abnormally high. I'm now in overload, I've overdosed on hype.

I don't know how much longer I can contain a facade of normalcy with my peers. These next two days are going to dragggggggg.

jett

D-Member
Jesuschrist that average rating.

The trailers didn't really catch my interest but I might have to end up watching this thing.

TL21xx

Banned
So we now have IMAX Laser here in Austin (adore the Bullock, without a doubt my favorite theater, especially since adding that Laser system), so I'll probably be seeing this in that format first. But there is a 70mm IMAX in San Antonio (At the Palladium, which happens to be another favorite of mine) that I might want to check out just to get a comparison between the two. I've always appreciated the detail in 70mm, but the brightness on the IMAX laser systems at the Bullock and the Chinese in Hollywood are really something else. I'm curious as to which I'd prefer these days.

Glad to see that the film getting such positive reception. After Interstellar, I kinda ended up on an anti-hype train for this one mentally, but it looks like I can rest assured that Nolan's back to form focusing on his strengths. I'm back on the roller coaster!

Top Bottom