• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Status
Not open for further replies.

styl3s

So he gets the easy way out? Man, he would suffer more in jail for life. I don't agree with this.
I would rather live in prison for the next 60 years then cease to exist.

I never look at death as a easy way out especially considering the guy had no notion of killing himself or having the cops which tells me he didn't want to die. I know a lot of people on GAF are against the death penalty but i can't think of anything to say about it other than good riddance.

Well he'll probably be on death row for years, so he is going to rot anyways. ADX Florence isn't a nice place at all, it breaks most people.

Jeremy

I don't think Dylann will be the martyr he believes he is going to be. He'll just be a dead, racist mass murderer to anyone that's not a white supremacist.

Buzzman

Banned
There's quite a cognitive dissonance here when you have people decrying the Death Penalty as barbaric, while simultaneously commenting that he should stay alive to suffer for longer.

Taxpayers now have to feed him, keep him healthy, and pay attorney fees for those fighting for and against his execution.

And people keep saying how they'd prefer he rot in prison. The dude will be welcomed to prison as a hero by others like him, regularly fed, sheltered, clothed, will get any healthcare he needs, etc. How many free people would give anything to rot like that?

Who cares if they "gave him what he wanted"? This isn't a fantasy revenge story where you analyze a plot. When it comes to somebody who we know without doubt is guilty of something as barbaric as this then yes, remove him permanently. I don't want to pay for his up keep so he can sit in a cell and no, I don't want to torture him either. Just kill him and be done with it. Also, yes, I'm against the Death Penalty, but only in practical terms - based on the poor record of our justice system putting innocent people in prison or being overly harsh in sentencing. But here? Nah. Put a bullet in his skull and leave him to fade in the annals of history.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
He deserves death.

Probably a dumb question but does he get to choose how he dies? Or is that up to the justice system?

I don't see the benefit of keeping someone like this alive

Obviously life imprisonment takes a mental toll on you but you aren't being "tortured", you're just living your life in a box. Dude isn't being forced to face his actions, he's just separated from society

Save the world some money and oxygen and get rid of this piece of shit

Still against the death penalty. Also the legal preceding an appeals to stay the execution especially when the death penalty will probably go to the supreme Court at some point before he is killed will make this extremely expensive anywah

The death penalty is a useless barbaric practice that does no one any good.

There's quite a cognitive dissonance here where you have people decrying the Death Penalty as barbaric, while simultaneously commenting that he should stay alive to suffer for longer.

It's kinda funny, no? And he wouldn't "rot" the way folks imagine it. He'd be quite cozy..

BFIB

I don't see the benefit of keeping someone like this alive

Obviously life imprisonment takes a mental toll on you but you aren't being "tortured", you're just living your life in a box. Dude isn't being forced to face his actions, he's just separated from society

Save the world some money and oxygen and get rid of this piece of shit

Problem is, he wants to die for this. Because in his mind, then he wins.

Slayven

Who cares if they "gave him what he wanted"? This isn't a fantasy revenge story where you analyze a plot. When it comes to somebody who we know without doubt is guilty of something as barbaric as this then yes, remove him permanently. I don't want to pay for his up keep so he can sit in a cell and no, I don't want to torture him either. Just kill him and be done with it. Also, yes, I'm against the Death Penalty, but only in practical terms - based on the poor record of our justice system putting innocent people in prison or being overly harsh in sentencing. But here? Nah. Put a bullet in his skull and leave him to fade in the annals of history.

Pretty much

DrSlek

Welp..

But then taxpayers gotta feed him and keep him healthy..

Carrying out the death sentence isn't exactly cheap, if I recall correctly. I believe one of the arguments against it is that it's actually more expensive than just keeping the offender in prison.

Futureman

I'm against the death penalty but in a case like this I guess I don't really care what happens. He is 100% guilty and showed no remorse.

necrosis

Man. In general I'm against the death penalty, but in a situation like this, it's hard to not wish that this guy experiences the worst conceivable death.

Bah, I would have preferred he got life in prison.

Yeah, there's no doubt Roof did it, and in a vacuum, I'd say he deserves death.

But I oppose the death penalty because the state gets it wrong. Innocent people are executed. Black men are disproportionately more likely to be executed than white men. It can't be justified, and I don't believe it serves any substantive deterrent effect.

Problem is, he wants to die for this. Because in his mind, then he wins.
I mean that sucks but it's not like he's gonna live to see the results

If people are coming from anti-death penalty in the sense that innocent people get killed then sure, I'm familiar with shit like the West Memphis Three where it's complete bullshit and the state doesn't want to admit they made a mistake. However, if you're opposed to it because you want someone to be tortured.......I can't really agree with that (as garbage as these "people" can be)

The death sentence is never good. A society should be above the level of a killer, no matter how terrible the crime

I'm sorry, but I don't accept that. This scum killed 9 innocent people, who's only sin was the color of their skin. Any one of those people could have been our grandparents.

He had no remorse. He wasn't going to "suffer" in prison.

If this makes me a bad person, I accept that. But enough with the platitudes. I didn't weep for Bin Laden, and I don't weep for Dylann Roof.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Carrying out the death sentence isn't exactly cheap, if I recall correctly. I believe one of the arguments against it is that it's actually more expensive than just keeping the offender in prison.

Most of that cost comes from constant appeals associated with trying to get the sentence overturned, not the actual process of executing someone.

Nephtis

Put him in isolation until his day of execution.

No contact with any humans. Not even a word heard by someone else. Just put his meals on a tray with no fork, spoon, or knife so he has to eat it all by hand. Allow a 5 minute shower every 2 days.

Some of a bitch deserves no less.

I don't support the Death Penalty, but life imprisonment is no less cruel than it as far as I can see so this is probably better for him and if I was in his position I would without a doubt prefer death.
Put him in isolation until his day of execution.

No contact with any humans. Not even a word heard by someone else. Just put his meals on a tray with no fork, spoon, or knife so he has to eat it all by hand. Allow a 5 minute shower every 2 days.

Some of a bitch deserves no less.
Torture?

lem0n

Welp..

But then taxpayers gotta feed him and keep him healthy..

I didn't say anything about all that!

Really though, it's always a tough situation on how to handle shitheads like this... I think I'm still okay with keeping him alive, forgotten and alone though. We gave him what he wanted and I hate that

Tarkus

He shot people in the head to kill because they were black. You people want him to be able to inspire more people in prison to do the same thing again? Death to him

This thread is already providing good examples of why the court system needs to remain a dispassionate arbiter of justice. If you oppose capital punishment for sound reasons, you need to oppose it even when your gut-level reaction to Dylan Roof's horrific crimes wants you to act otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom