• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA files a trademark for Jade Empire (action-RPG developed back in 2005 by Bioware for Xbox)

Shin

Banned
Just a few days ago, by the end of January, Electronic Arts filed a trademark for Jade Empire.

As many of you will already know, the original Jade Empire is an action-RPG developed back in 2005 by Bioware (Mass Effect, Star Wars: KOTOR, Anthem) for Xbox.
Recently, EA trademarked “Jade Empire” and, while we don’t know if this movement is only trying to protect the IP, it could also mean that there is some kind of movement regarding the Jade Empire property other than when the game headed to Xbox One Backward Compatibility.

jade_empire-678x381.jpg

Credit: VGLeaks

People always get their hopes up when "X Company trademarks A game". Should be keeping their hopes in check. Otherwise, expect disappointment if nothing happens.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People always get their hopes up when "X Company trademarks A game". Should be keeping their hopes in check. Otherwise, expect disappointment if nothing happens.

Espeically when 90% of the time, it is for protection so they don't lose it. Is it currently BC on the Xbox?

Shin

Banned
It makes me feel old that you needed to add that parenthetical description.
You are old, but as am I :/
Feelsbadman

OT: not sure what it is, no one posted it here and some news another site I checked with didn't pick up on it either.
Other than that what's quoted is what we have ATM, EA have been filing some trademarks as of late though.
Maybe related to their poor financial year results and wanting to try different idea's, just guessing here.

Fox Mulder

They can make any game, but it'll still have the same modern EA issues and design requirements. They'd fuck up and ruin a modern Kotor.

Ramzy

Businesses routinely file trademarks for the sole purpose of holding onto their IP. This doesn't guarantee a remake or new game. It might, but it might not. Don't get your hopes up.

Is it bad that I actually am afraid that they might be making a new installment? Jade Empire is one of my favorite games, and yet, I want them to leave it alone because I think they will completely fuck it up. I have lost all faith in BioWare, and I certainly have none in EA.

Shin

Banned
Is there evidence for this or just a gut feeling? Android has much higher market share. We're not talking a few percent, we're talking overwhelming.

Also, there was a Jade Empire for android, there are gameplay videos and let's plays of it. It's just not on the play store any longer.
It's a comment based on a article I came across some months/weeks/year ago (I don't remember as mobile doesn't interest me).
Research was done with developer input on how much they earn/lose due to Android not being as streamlined/strict or something...it's vague memory.
But it shouldn't be hard to retrace it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Last edited:
Is there evidence for this or just a gut feeling? Android has much higher market share. We're not talking a few percent, we're talking overwhelming.

Also, there was a Jade Empire for android, there are gameplay videos and let's plays of it. It's just not on the play store any longer.

Yes, is is true - you will find plenty of interviews with devs and business articles about the lack of spending on apps on Android devices - it really isn’t close. I honestly believe that because Android is “open” some of the lack of spending is due to piracy basically - you can go online and find .apks for just about anything and load them yourself, so no need to purchase from the Play store.

dottme

epicnemesis

That is global market share, including Africa and Asian developing markets where pretty much everyone has a cheapo smartphone but they sure as shit aren’t spending money on games.

Makariel

That is global market share, including Africa and Asian developing markets where pretty much everyone has a cheapo smartphone but they sure as shit aren’t spending money on games.
Well you say Asia, Google play isn't even available in China, which is a larger market than most other individual countries. Also interesting from the article that's linked above by S shark sandwich , the play store is not the only one on android, there is little in terms of numbers how much is sold on amazon's android store etc.

Looks like people who afford 1000+ dollar phones every other year also spend more on apps, shouldn't have been surprising to me ;) I just thought the sheer volume of devices would make a difference, but it seems apple is the true home of the whales.

There is no imaginable timeline where modern Bioware doesn't cock it up. Like KOTOR, let it remain a monument to Bioware's former ability before they were driven into the ground.

Top Bottom